or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iTunes compatible NAS?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Looking for suggestions for storing my iTunes library that will automatically update with purchases I make. I'd like to play my library without having to have my computer on to do so as well as control it through my iPhone. Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #2 of 15
Get a second hand Mac Mini.

Such a product in off the shelf NAS form does not exist, only a Mac or Win PC can run iTunes which is your requirement.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Looking for suggestions for storing my iTunes library that will automatically update with purchases I make. I'd like to play my library without having to have my computer on to do so as well as control it through my iPhone. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Another option if you need a new router is the new Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router that has a built in iTunes server. Using a usb hard drive attached to the router you will have a NAS as well as a superb router. And this will cost you much less then a Mac Mini.

Here is my review of the R7000 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493322/netgear-r7000-nighthawk-ac1900-router-review-and-comments-thread

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Bob,
That looks like it'd be perfect for me. I subscribed to your review thread and look forward to your update that'll include the iTunes/external hard drive capability. I'd love it if this would eliminate my need to have a laptop running iTunes.
post #5 of 15
Unless Netgear have licensed iTunes from Apple then it's not an iTunes server. Apple Homesharing is protected by your Apple ID account.

There is something NAS makers like to call an iTunes server but it is really nothing of the sort, many years ago way back in the early days of iTunes the Apple DAAP protocol was reverse engineered (aka Firefly media server) this allowed third party iTunes servers to stream to desktop iTunes, development of said server stopped a long time ago and current desktop iTunes barely works with it any more. It does not work with iOS devices.

So as I said unless Netgear have somehow secured a deal with Apple the only thing that integrates with iOS is iTunes.

There are some custom made Windows PC servers out there, but Windows isn't exactly super reliable for iTunes I would go with an OSX computer.
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

Unless Netgear have licensed iTunes from Apple then it's not an iTunes server. Apple Homesharing is protected by your Apple ID account.

There is something NAS makers like to call an iTunes server but it is really nothing of the sort, many years ago way back in the early days of iTunes the Apple DAAP protocol was reverse engineered (aka Firefly media server) this allowed third party iTunes servers to stream to desktop iTunes, development of said server stopped a long time ago and current desktop iTunes barely works with it any more. It does not work with iOS devices.

So as I said unless Netgear have somehow secured a deal with Apple the only thing that integrates with iOS is iTunes.

There are some custom made Windows PC servers out there, but Windows isn't exactly super reliable for iTunes I would go with an OSX computer.

This is an iTunes compatible server that will work with IOS devices. When I met with the product manager I was clear on this point as this is something I want. I currently run a copy of iTunes on a server which is a pain. If you look at the R7000 marketing material you will see it refers to iTunes server and Airplay support. But I will use it first and then confirm it for you all.

Bob Silver
post #7 of 15
Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't iTunes match do this for you?
Only $25 per year.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

This is an iTunes compatible server that will work with IOS devices. When I met with the product manager I was clear on this point as this is something I want. I currently run a copy of iTunes on a server which is a pain. If you look at the R7000 marketing material you will see it refers to iTunes server and Airplay support. But I will use it first and then confirm it for you all.

Bob Silver

It looks like they are using forked-daapd or their own in house variant to connect the stored music library to the Apple iOS remote app, but the OP is looking for something which automatically stores and streams their iTunes purchases something the iTunes server on the R7000 cannot do. In your case you will still have to turn on iTunes to have it auto download the tracks to the USB drive attached to the R7000.

As DoctorVideo says iTunes match is another approach if your okay with all your content in the cloud.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Wouldn't you be able to just keep the iTunes server on the R7000 running all the time? Then it could just update purchases and store them on an attached HD. That's how I'm interpreting it anyway.
post #10 of 15
Well the itunes server would run 24/7. But I think the question her is the updates of new purchases. I should be getting a prerelease of the software next week and Ill post back in my R7000 thread what my experience is. In my case the copy of itunes I run on a server has a copy of my music library. So for me copying new items to it will be the same process I do now. On a PC I use Synctoys to do this. It a 1 click solution currently.

Bob Silver
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Thanks bob
post #12 of 15
I am very interested in how the N7000 works out. More so if somebody can copy the functionality to TomatoUSB smile.gif

I am currently running whs2011 with iHomeserver controlling an instance of iTunes.

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_for_iTunes.aspx

The upcoming version 3 is supposed to be geared more toward regular Desktop and NAS devices.

http://blog.bizmodeller.com/post/2013/06/21/iHomeServer-v3-has-started-beta-testing.aspx

I am currently halfway through my 30 day trial and haven't decided if I am going to spring for the $30 license or not.
post #13 of 15
The N7000 is not an iTunes Homesharing server, your not connecting to your iTunes library as seen by iTunes but a separate media library the N7000 scans and builds from the media of your existing iTunes library. iHomeserver is Windows desktop iTunes shoehorned into WHS so they are not the same thing.

The Netgear software is likely based off the open source forked-daadpd protocol so their is nothing stopping anyone from doing it for TomatoUSB, in fact QNAP NAS use the same software branded as QTunesAir for their link to Apple iOS remote app.

If or when Apple kills the old way of authenticating with pair codes in the iOS remote app then these solutions will no longer be viable.
post #14 of 15
I know they are not the same thing. iHomeserver is, so far, the best solution I have found for sharing ALL of iTunes short of plugging in yet another device dedicated to hosting the library. It also adds some things that iTunes by itself cannot do. But in the end it is still a hack to run software in an unintended manner so it isn't perfect. I am always looking for something simpler.

Do you have any first hand experience with the N7000 or Netgear's iTunes server implementation or just speculating based on previous projects?
post #15 of 15
I've run forked-daapd before yes, it is not as reliable as iTunes where it can have trouble connecting to iOS app sometimes but when it works its fine for basic music playback.

Remember iHomeserver is iTunes not a third party server at its core. Nothing can 100% replicate iTunes entirely as your Apple ID is used to authenticate the Homesharing service.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home