or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › new amp or new receiver?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new amp or new receiver?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I am running a 5.4 speaker setup in my HT. It is a 100% movie theater. I was wondering if I should get a new Denon AVR or just get an amp to power my speakers. I have an amp for my subs and my other two subs have amps in them. I was thinking about the Denon 3313 or X4000. Don't know what amp I would get if that was the best option
post #2 of 22
Umm... what AVR do you have now?
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Pioneer VSX-1020K
post #4 of 22
can't really connect external amps to the VSX-1020. No preamp outputs.

What speakers do you have that you feel need extra power?
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
I have an oppo 103D, so I won't need a receiver. But right now I have some older onkyo speakers that was given to me. They are really small cheap speakers that I'm upgrading on Black Friday when I can find the best deals.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
What does you guys think. Get a Denon X4000 to use with my Oppo 103D and projector or get an Outlaw Audio Model 7125 - 7 channel amplifier to got with my Oppo 103D and projector. The amp and AVR is rated at 125W. I already have an amplifier to power my 4 subs
post #7 of 22
If your current receiver still works, why not just keep it?
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Im trying to get better. I upgraded my $1000 projector to a $16,000, and it was drastic. Now I want to upgrade my audio. Went from 1 sub to 4 and it was a well needed upgrade. My avr was the cheapest that did 3D at the time, so I want something that's not entry level
post #9 of 22

The Denon would be a good addition, but until you upgrade your speakers your audio quality will be limited.  Depending on the size of your room you could get bookshelf speakers with a center speaker from the same line up. 

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

The Denon would be a good addition, but until you upgrade your speakers your audio quality will be limited.  Depending on the size of your room you could get bookshelf speakers with a center speaker from the same line up. 

I'm upgrading my speakers when I figure out what I'm going to do with a new avr or amp. I'm going to buy matching bookshelf speakers and bypass the center speaker
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Im trying to get better. I upgraded my $1000 projector to a $16,000, and it was drastic. Now I want to upgrade my audio. Went from 1 sub to 4 and it was a well needed upgrade. My avr was the cheapest that did 3D at the time, so I want something that's not entry level

You spent $16k on a projector?! Yikes!

Upgrade your speakers first would be my suggestion, then worry about changing the amp (if needed, or if you need something particular to drive the speakers you end up with). What subs do you have?
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Of course I'm upgrading my speakers, that's the reason I'm upgrading my avr or getting amps to drive the speakers. I didn't want to get new speakers and use my cheap avr. But I have a DIY 18in sub in the front and three 12in subs behind my seating in my theater.
post #13 of 22
If you are upgrading your speakers, some prefer to do that first as it dictates somewhat which avrs are suitable. I've been shopping too and have decided on the Denon X4000, so I'd suggest it for you too in your situation. It's room correction is TOTL and will blow you away. Plus it can run a separate amp.

What it can't do is run 4 ohm speakers, so I'd stick to 8 or 6 ohm. One thought there is Kef Q300, and excellent speaker for the money and small soas not to intrude. But there are many options here. I'd suggest getting a center channel if at all possible. For movies it really helps, and you can mount on the wall or in the wall if that helps. Getting a center with the same driver as your bookshelf is best for a seamless front stage. But it's up to you and your priorities. Happy hunting.
Edited by audio4life - 10/17/13 at 5:16pm
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

If you are upgrading your speakers, some prefer to do that first as it dictates somewhat which avrs are suitable. I've been shopping too and have decided on the Denon X4000, so I'd suggest it for you too in your situation. It's room correction is TOTL and will blow you away. Plus it can run a separate amp.

What it can't do is run 4 ohm speakers, so I'd stick to 8 or 6 ohm. One thought there is Kef Q300, and excellent speaker for the money and small soas not to intrude. But there are many options here. I'd suggest getting a center channel if at all possible. For movies it really helps, and you can mount on the wall or in the wall if that helps. Getting a enter with the same driver as your bookshelf is best for a seamless front stage. But it's up to you and your priorities. Happy hunting.

The X4000 is top of my list and the 3313 is second. I am starting to think the X4000 is the better option than an amplifier or an amplifier and pre amp. The speakers on my list is the Ascend 340 at the top of my list, the Ascend 170, or the Emp Tek E5Bi.
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post

What it can't do is run 4 ohm speakers, so I'd stick to 8 or 6 ohm.

Every amp and receiver can drive 4 ohm speakers. With 4 ohm you may not be able to play it as loudly as you can with 6 or 8 ohm speakers, but the difference in maximum volume is typically pretty small.
post #16 of 22

Yes, every amp can operate 4 ohm speakers, but some receivers are limited as you suggest.  The room size and the efficiency of the speakers come into play as well as the volume level preferences of the owner.  I assume the worst in situations like this and I have read of some who have had their X4000 go into protection from a variety of these circumstances.

 

To the OP, those Ascend speakers are very well thought of and you certainly wouldn't need an amp.  As a matter of fact I have the 7125 Outlaw amp and it's a decent piece of gear for sure.  You could try the Denon alone to see if you're happy with it and get an amp down the road if you so choose.  

post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Of course I'm upgrading my speakers, that's the reason I'm upgrading my avr or getting amps to drive the speakers. I didn't want to get new speakers and use my cheap avr. But I have a DIY 18in sub in the front and three 12in subs behind my seating in my theater.

Better to get speakers first then worry about the avr/amp setup. You have one now that would work quite well with many speakers, those Ascends for example. What subs, though? Driver diameter is only so interesting....
post #18 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Better to get speakers first then worry about the avr/amp setup. You have one now that would work quite well with many speakers, those Ascends for example. What subs, though? Driver diameter is only so interesting....

If I wasn't buying a new avr or amp, I would not be asking which one is better. The avr I have is being replaced. I want a better avr, not my entry level one, so you guys don't really need to keep telling me to get my speakers first when I'm getting both at the same time. I already made up my mind to get the Denon X4000 with the Ascend 340s. I was thinking of this setup but I wanted to get some advice about how an pre-amp/ amplifier setup would compare. I didn't need speaker or sub advice
post #19 of 22
On this site you will mostly be encouraged to get an avr over separates. I think that room correction like Audyssey has levelled the playing field somewhat, though IMO a separate amp will give you more than the small amp section of an avr. The prices of preamp processors are mostly over 2000. The Marantz entry level processor is around 1700 and it doesn't even have the best Audyssey that the Denon X4000 does.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Better to get speakers first then worry about the avr/amp setup. You have one now that would work quite well with many speakers, those Ascends for example. What subs, though? Driver diameter is only so interesting....

If I wasn't buying a new avr or amp, I would not be asking which one is better. The avr I have is being replaced. I want a better avr, not my entry level one, so you guys don't really need to keep telling me to get my speakers first when I'm getting both at the same time. I already made up my mind to get the Denon X4000 with the Ascend 340s. I was thinking of this setup but I wanted to get some advice about how an pre-amp/ amplifier setup would compare. I didn't need speaker or sub advice

Wasn't trying to give you sub advice, but am curious what they are is all. Congrats on the Ascend decision, think you'll be happy with their products (I am). I do think the Denon is an improvement on the Pioneer, don't get me wrong, I just would put the money towards better speakers (like Ascend Sierra Towers with a Horizon smile.gif ).
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Wasn't trying to give you sub advice, but am curious what they are is all. Congrats on the Ascend decision, think you'll be happy with their products (I am). I do think the Denon is an improvement on the Pioneer, don't get me wrong, I just would put the money towards better speakers (like Ascend Sierra Towers with a Horizon smile.gif ).

I wasn't trying to be rude, it seem as if I came off that way. But others commented on the subs. I'm going to go with the Ascends 340 and X4000, as I planned, I just wanted to get some advice about amps too, to see what's better. But thanks
post #22 of 22
Why not get the X4000 and a amp to run the front three? Best of both worlds if you plan to play loud. I run a Sony 5800es and a Emotiva amp. The Emotiva runs the front three and the Sony runs the the other six surrounds and heights. IMO the Sony sounded better than my Onkyo 818, Denon X4000 and 4311, Pioneer 1522 (all avrs were run with the same speakers in the same room for two weeks at a time). The Sony (to me) had better separation, flatness, and integrated the sub the best (using its room correction). Audyssey always seemed to bloat the low end. MCACC sounded too thin with the highs. This was in my room (user rooms may vary). I am not an audiophile, but to my ears (in my room over 13000cu.), it sounds very good. Just an option to think of.
Edited by grpape - 10/20/13 at 12:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › new amp or new receiver?