or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for a simple high quality setup- how is this pkg?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a simple high quality setup- how is this pkg?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi AV aficionados! I'm putting together a small theater room for myself in a spare bedroom (size 10'x12' rectangular) and am currently shopping for a 3-channel setup. This is in a townhouse and I don't feel the neighbors would appreciate a subwoofer rattling the walls. I know nothing about speakers from what I've read on here and am currently using a pair of Audyssey Lower East Side bookshelves connected via optical out to my LCD. These are an active set and I can't connect them to my new Yamaha receiver.

TO MY POINT: I came across this set and am wondering if this is a good quality set to start out with and build upon in the future. I will create a 5.1 system down the road when we move to a single family home. Let me know what you guys think about this brand and model of speakers. I can purchase these for well under the price listed on the website. Thanks!!

http://www.wwstereo.com/Sunfire/HRSSAT4PKG?source=pepperjam&publisherId=3647&clickId=706745115
post #2 of 18
For that kind of money, you can do better. I understand that you are in a townhouse, but a -3db point of 95hz is way too high without a sub. If going without a sub, you need something that goes a lot lower than 95db. If you would like to discuss and get pricing, give us a call.
Reply
Reply
post #3 of 18

In other words, you want towers if you have room for them, bookshelves with good lower extension if you don't.

You don't want satellites.

post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

In other words, you want towers if you have room for them, bookshelves with good lower extension if you don't.
You don't want satellites.

I understand what you're saying and yes towers are too big and obtrusive for me right now. I like a more minimalist, streamlined aesthetic to my HT. My initial search had been to go with bookshelves until I came across these and read some reviews online:

"A good speaker designer can make a sat/sub set sound bigger than its size. But it takes an inspired designer like Bob Carver to make a sat/sub set sound huge, yet gentle. Have I mentioned that HRS stands for High Resolution Series? These speakers have earned their name. Put this on your short list of must-hear compact speaker systems." -Sound & Vision magazine

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sunfire-hrs-speaker-system
post #5 of 18
If you absolutely hate bass, that would make a great 3.0 set. I would go for something with more substantial woofers, especially sans a subwoofer. I would be looking at bookshelf speakers with 6" woofers at least.
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post


I understand what you're saying and yes towers are too big and obtrusive for me right now. I like a more minimalist, streamlined aesthetic to my HT. My initial search had been to go with bookshelves until I came across these and read some reviews online:
 

Right, but that's a subwoofer, which you said you don't want.

"3-channel" around here usually means left/center/right, not 2.1 (left/right/sub).

You need to decide what you really want.

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Well the S&V article I referenced was reviewing the sub AND satellites so yes I understand that. From what Mike (above in thread) told me, I would def need a powered sub or the 3.0 set (as good as they might be) will sound anemic. I'm looking at this like a work in progress...get a good quality L/C/R trio, then add a sub in a few months, and finally some surrounds later on when I'm no longer in a rented townhome and can properly wire the room. So, yes I would not be sans sub forever.

No one has mentioned it but are Sunfire actually good quality speakers? I'm new to this so have only heard of the more well known brands like Pioneer, Klipsch, MartinLogan, etc.
post #8 of 18
That's a lot of moola for those speakers IMO and you still need a sub. You could get something similar from NHT (or many others, but I like NHT) like 3 SuperZero 2.1s and a really good sub (no one says you have to play it loud) or 3 Absolute Zeros and a sub or a pair and the classic center.

I'm sure those speakers are great but IMO you can do as well for a lot less.

Also might want to check out RSL, they have high quality sets as well at good prices with a great warranty and trial period.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

TO MY POINT: I came across this set and am wondering if this is a good quality set to start out with and build upon in the future. I will create a 5.1 system down the road when we move to a single family home. Let me know what you guys think about this brand and model of speakers. I can purchase these for well under the price listed on the website. Thanks!!

http://www.wwstereo.com/Sunfire/HRSSAT4PKG?source=pepperjam&publisherId=3647&clickId=706745115

No one has mentioned it but are Sunfire actually good quality speakers?

No real bass and a -7db dip in the midrange > I would think some more on these.
I would at least consider some bookshelf speakers - I know about your room size.
post #10 of 18
If you don't mind spending that kinda coin, the Ascend Sierra-1s may fit your bill and have decently usable bass (+/- 3db point anechoic is 44hz, in room Ascend advises 39); the bass is quite usable although I run a sub with mine. Very suitable for building on later.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

That's a lot of moola for those speakers IMO and you still need a sub. You could get something similar from NHT (or many others, but I like NHT) like 3 SuperZero 2.1s and a really good sub (no one says you have to play it loud) or 3 Absolute Zeros and a sub or a pair and the classic center.

I'm sure those speakers are great but IMO you can do as well for a lot less.

Also might want to check out RSL, they have high quality sets as well at good prices with a great warranty and trial period.

I have a coupon code to get the entire set (L/C/R +stands) for under $500 USD.
post #12 of 18
That "deal" still won't get you any bass but you could add a sub and just not annoy your neighbors with it wink.gif FYI Sunfire originally was about subwoofers a long time ago when Bob Carver was behind them....don't know much about their speakers though.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

I have a coupon code to get the entire set (L/C/R +stands) for under $500 USD.

I would put these on a short list - Focal
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-41246-focal-chorus-706v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4927-focal-chorus-cc700v-center-speaker.aspx
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

That "deal" still won't get you any bass but you could add a sub and just not annoy your neighbors with it wink.gif FYI Sunfire originally was about subwoofers a long time ago when Bob Carver was behind them....don't know much about their speakers though.

Thanks, yeah the bass would be glaringly missing until I added a powered sub. I can't find many reviews on these satellites and center other than the professional review that S&V did that I linked above. They must not have sold a bunch of these speakers...they're on sale currently at all the big sites (Amazon, Newegg) but there are no reviews to accompany the listing which seems odd to me. Maybe they were overpriced for most consumers at $400 and $500 for satellite and center channel, respectively. Bob Carver was mentioned in the S&V article as the designer of these as well.

It seems the mighty AVS forums have spoken and I should look elsewhere for some bookshelves to meet my current needs. I hear good things about BIC bookshelves...
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

It seems the mighty AVS forums have spoken and I should look elsewhere for some bookshelves to meet my current needs. I hear good things about BIC bookshelves...

What is your real budget at this time?

I am not a real fan of Bic - to each their own
post #16 of 18
If you don't want to annoy you neighbors, just keep the bass low. I know nothing about this speaker set you reference, but I suspect you can do better. Atleast a bookshelf that can get down to 80 hz...
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

What is your real budget at this time?

I am not a real fan of Bic - to each their own

Less than $500 for a pair. I looked at the Focals you linked above and they should fit the bill. Gorgeous looks, value priced, and good bass extension without the immediate need for a sub. Those are some of the best looking bookshelves I've ever seen on here. Are BICs similar to Klipsch?
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

I looked at the Focals you linked above and they should fit the bill.

Are BICs similar to Klipsch?

Focal does good work

Bic and Klipsch >>
Similar as far as offering horn type tweeters and higher sensitivity - however, they will both have
their own signature sound and build quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Looking for a simple high quality setup- how is this pkg?