or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Doug's dual Gjallarhorn build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doug's dual Gjallarhorn build - Page 6

post #151 of 184
Thread Starter 


post #152 of 184
Cool!!!
post #153 of 184
Awesome man!
I can't wait to see the look of the completed room with all that stealth woofage!cool.gif
post #154 of 184
i still can't believe that you have dual gjallarhorns mounted in your ceiling.

talk about stealth...
post #155 of 184
Whoa.....that's awesome! eek.gif

I love it.
post #156 of 184
So how different does it sound with the walls back up?
post #157 of 184
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, I like it too wink.gif

They get crazy loud with both connected to an ep2500, so they should be decent with the fp. Having the sheetrock in made a huge difference building up the room gain. I look forward to seeing how flat I can get the response without adding more subs in the room, although I wired for 3 more.
post #158 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

1) German Shepherd - check

2) 4 capable drivers (UXL 18s) - check

3) Clone FP14k power - check

4) Want to build dual Gjallarhorns - check!


If the wife disapproved of dual f20s, there's no way she will go for dual GH!
post #159 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

If the wife disapproved of dual f20s, there's no way she will go for dual GH!

Any chance you could make them look like furniture?
post #160 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

If the wife disapproved of dual f20s, there's no way she will go for dual GH!

Big difference: new house, AT screen, hidden subs. smile.gif
post #161 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Big difference: new house, AT screen, hidden subs. smile.gif


Ah, I didn't know you moved. Your neighbors probably breathed a sigh of relief.
post #162 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Any chance you could make them look like furniture?

Like a deep-freeze, or you could put wrapping paper and a giant bow on it. Everybody likes presents.
post #163 of 184
I would so love to have me some Ghorn height surrounds. biggrin.gif

Now that's boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Big difference: new house, AT screen, hidden subs. smile.gif

New house? smile.gif
post #164 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I would so love to have me some Ghorn height surrounds. biggrin.gif

Now that's boss.
New house? smile.gif

Ghorn surrounds would be fun.

Building a house, floor plan in my sig "take 2". Just looking for ideas in a couple years when I start on the basement/theater/etc.
post #165 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Ghorn surrounds would be fun.

Building a house, floor plan in my sig "take 2". Just looking for ideas in a couple years when I start on the basement/theater/etc.

I'd recommend selling 2 of the uxl loaded cabs and use it to fund a pair of othorns. 2x gjallarhorns are awesome but they leave a lot to be desired in the 45-100hz range
post #166 of 184
Thread Starter 
Ready for pva primer tomorrow, paint the next day, hardwoods down next week, then I install, prep, paint the trim. Then I can get the gear back in and see how it sounds!

post #167 of 184
Go Doug! smile.gif
post #168 of 184
Any updates? Would love to see some post construction charts.
post #169 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Any updates? Would love to see some post construction charts.

Not yet. I have another month of finishing up trim and paint before I can move the electronics in to the rack. I have them and the 6 v8s running on the old Nak preamp and a couple of ep4000s until then. Put the final coat of poly on the wood in the av rack, the blue around the rack is the color of the front wall:

post #170 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Not yet. I have another month of finishing up trim and paint before I can move the electronics in to the rack. I have them and the 6 v8s running on the old Nak preamp and a couple of ep4000s until then. Put the final coat of poly on the wood in the av rack, the blue around the rack is the color of the front wall:


Damn! That is looking gooooooood! Nice work man!
post #171 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I'd recommend selling 2 of the uxl loaded cabs and use it to fund a pair of othorns. 2x gjallarhorns are awesome but they leave a lot to be desired in the 45-100hz range


You are kidding right!?!?

I mean, yes, the Othorns have more MAX output in that range. But, more output is only more if your current setup needs more. You can only listen to things so loud regardless of how much headroom you have.
Unless you want a 10 db hot house curve at 50 Hz or something....

Two ghorns yield more output than all but the last 2% of even the carziest bass heads around here can use.

I have one and I probably can only use 50% of its capacity without structural damage. Two would just be for smoother response.
post #172 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

You are kidding right!?!?

I mean, yes, the Othorns have more MAX output in that range. But, more output is only more if your current setup needs more. You can only listen to things so loud regardless of how much headroom you have.
Unless you want a 10 db hot house curve at 50 Hz or something....

Two ghorns yield more output than all but the last 2% of even the carziest bass heads around here can use.

I have one and I probably can only use 50% of its capacity without structural damage. Two would just be for smoother response.

The GH does just fine up to 60hz, but I prefer the Othorn from 30hz and up to the GH.
post #173 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

The GH does just fine up to 60hz, but I prefer the Othorn from 30hz and up to the GH.

Wow, you guys must have some huge rooms or like it seriously loud.

I certainly wouldn't argue with a fellow bass head about that sort of thing, but I can't imagine it.
post #174 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Wow, you guys must have some huge rooms or like it seriously loud.

I certainly wouldn't argue with a fellow bass head about that sort of thing, but I can't imagine it.

I'm sitting almost 20ft from the subs. From 30hz and up, the Othorn is more efficient, has more output, and doesn't require much EQ at all. Even at 25hz their output is really close.
post #175 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

I'm sitting almost 20ft from the subs. From 30hz and up, the Othorn is more efficient, has more output, and doesn't require much EQ at all. Even at 25hz their output is really close.

Well, that explains it. I am about 2 feet from mine.

But, yes the Othorn is the better design for 25Hz on up. Depending on your room gain, it might the better option all around.
post #176 of 184
Following these recent posts...

I'd love a system with one or two Ohorn's per LCR or something to that effect and then put in a massive +8 driver IB system to do 30-40hz and down.

That would be sweet and cover all the bass(seewutididthere?)es for low and higher bass.
post #177 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Well, that explains it. I am about 2 feet from mine.

But, yes the Othorn is the better design for 25Hz on up. Depending on your room gain, it might the better option all around.

I figured luke might jump in on this one. Him living close by to me has given me the opportunity to hear both the GH and the OH together and separate. They play so well together it's seamless.
post #178 of 184
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Damn! That is looking gooooooood! Nice work man!

Thanks Joe! I hooked the fp14000 clone up to the G-horns tonight for the first time after all of the walls are in and finished... holy smokes. I have almost forgotten how powerful they are. I knew that it was a mistake hooking them up and listening to them for a month before tearing the room up because most of the intensity would be lost when I moved them in to the ceiling. I have had an EP2500 bridged to each with a Reckhorn B-2 for HPF and the subs sounded good, but not nearly as good (I mean knock the snot out of my face and distort my vision, like when they were on the floor). The difference of big power plus the miniDSP back on line brought them back to "knock the snot out" levels. I was very excited also that the tactile feel on the floor is just as good as when they were sitting on the floor. The 15-30 hz range in comparison was really lacking with the smaller amps and B-2. Gobs and gobs of deep, smooth bass again. I am a happy guy today!
post #179 of 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post

Thanks Joe! I hooked the fp14000 clone up to the G-horns tonight for the first time after all of the walls are in and finished... holy smokes.

Yes, the clone realy brought my subs to life like never before as well.

That is a great setup you have there and something to be proud of. Really cool! cool.gif
post #180 of 184
Can you feel the air pushed down on top of you, or is the soffit in the way?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › Doug's dual Gjallarhorn build