or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SUB DOWN! SUB DOWN!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SUB DOWN! SUB DOWN!!!!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

     Well, it happens.  My 15 year old sub took a deuce.  Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving, and I can't afford the $800 or so replacement I want, my budget is roughly half that.  $400 max, including shipping.  I really only listen to music, which obviously sucks given my budget, but I found this awhile back and want to know if anyone has a better idea for the price http://www.nxgtechnology.com/subwoofers.html 

 

     I have 5.1 setup with no speakers smaller than 12" so i'm thinking keeping my cross at 60 so I only need low end, and I have a second sub so what I need is a cheap low-end fill.  They're out of stock online so I have to pay 330 at the local high end shop, but I still think its the best fit. 

     

     As I'm moving, just got promoted so I work 7 days a week and still have to get laid so a d.i.y. is out of the books.  I plan on keeping this as a back-up or bedroom sub in the future once I obviously upgrade down the line.  So, please, oh wise bassheads, give me your thoughts.

 

Sandman

 

edit-I'm looking at the nx-bas-500 just to make it absolutely clear

post #2 of 16
If you can find one, it's my understanding from researching a good bit into budget subs the last week or two that the NX-BAS-500 is the best of the bunch.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

     That's the conclusion I've drawn.  I'm saving for a set of HSU VTF-3MK4's but that's 6 months from now (as long as my moving expenses don't go up, sheesh) and I just need a cheap second sub for now, that doesn't sound like ass.  Thanks for the second opinion.

 

Sandman

post #4 of 16
If you're looking for a good value the new Dayton Audio 1500 looks like a good one.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

     That's the conclusion I've drawn.  I'm saving for a set of HSU VTF-3MK4's but that's 6 months from now (as long as my moving expenses don't go up, sheesh) and I just need a cheap second sub for now, that doesn't sound like ass.  Thanks for the second opinion.

Sandman

I gave up looking and in the end ordered a BIC PL-200, hoping it arrives tomorrow.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianick View Post

If you're looking for a good value the new Dayton Audio 1500 looks like a good one.

+1

You can put the $180 you save towards your future subs. I suspect the Dayton will be more than up to the task serving as a backup sub when you get the HSU's

Btw. What was your current sub. What about the second one that still works?
post #7 of 16
There are a few subs in the AVS classifieds. I would skim through there first. Might find something nice and better than what you could get new.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post


+1

You can put the $180 you save towards your future subs. I suspect the Dayton will be more than up to the task serving as a backup sub when you get the HSU's

Btw. What was your current sub. What about the second one that still works?

Well, its only a $110 difference, I just can't see a 150W 15 having alot of excursion.  I can't seem to find any reviews or spl freq. charts on it either, which makes me nervous.  The sub that blew was a pioneer ported down firing 10, can't remember the model number, its in the trash.  My current sub is a yamaha 10 front firing ported.  I know it doesn't have the power to fill the room.

 

Sandman

post #9 of 16
That Dayton sub is new which explains the lack of reviews. Their other size subs have been offered for awhile now.
post #10 of 16
The Premier Acoustic PA-120 and the BIC F12 each at ~$200 and the BIC PL-200 at under $300 are the recommended subs in this forum and proven value leaders.

The Dayton 1200 sub was informally compared to the BIC F12. It was less expensive but did not have the sound quality (particularly bass below 30-35 Hz). It was close to a year after its introduction until the Sub 1200 was reviewed online.

You could try the Dayton Sub 1500 and tell readers in this forum how well it works.


The Sound and Vision Review looks good. In that higher price range, you might also look at Josh Ricci's review of the Premier Acoustic PA-150 at www.data-bass.com. See also his review of the PL-200.
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

Well, its only a $110 difference, I just can't see a 150W 15 having alot of excursion.  I can't seem to find any reviews or spl freq. charts on it either, which makes me nervous.  The sub that blew was a pioneer ported down firing 10, can't remember the model number, its in the trash.  My current sub is a yamaha 10 front firing ported.  I know it doesn't have the power to fill the room.

Sandman

Going by wattage alone will not give you the whole picture. I had personal experience with the 10" Dayton Sub-1000 which was surprisingly articulate and well performing for a budget sub rated at only 100 watts. I was able to get down to about 30hz or so of in room extension and it had plenty of output in my 11x15 bedroom. I suspect that Dayton is using efficient drivers in their Sub line. You can also ask forum member Jim Wilson about his experience with the Sub-1200 as I believe he was also pleasantly surprised by its performance. The Sub-1500 should handily outperform both of them

That said I can understand if you are a bit skeptical about the 15" Dayton as it is a brand new model with no reviews. Also keep in mind no budget sub will get you flat response down to 20-25 hz if that's what you are looking for. If you simply want tons of guaranteed output above 35hz for music then I would go with the PA-150 though that may be pushing your $400 budget.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post


Going by wattage alone will not give you the whole picture. I had personal experience with the 10" Dayton Sub-1000 which was surprisingly articulate and well performing for a budget sub rated at only 100 watts. I was able to get down to about 30hz or so of in room extension and it had plenty of output in my 11x15 bedroom. I suspect that Dayton is using efficient drivers in their Sub line. You can also ask forum member Jim Wilson about his experience with the Sub-1200 as I believe he was also pleasantly surprised by its performance. The Sub-1500 should handily outperform both of them

That said I can understand if you are a bit skeptical about the 15" Dayton as it is a brand new model with no reviews. Also keep in mind no budget sub will get you flat response down to 20-25 hz if that's what you are looking for. If you simply want tons of guaranteed output above 35hz for music then I would go with the PA-150 though that may be pushing your $400 budget.

I sent Jim a P.M.  hopefully he is gracious enough to respond though I'd guess he's tired of doorknobs like me pestering him.  I don't need high spl, just clean sound, or as clean as I can afford.  That pa 150 looks very nice, but I don't want to spend 500.  Then its 600, then its 700, so thats why I set myself a 400 limit.

 

edit-these specs are pretty solid for a budget sub too

Bass output (CEA-2010A standard)
• Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 108.0 dB
20 Hz 96.2 dB
25 Hz 105.5 dB
31.5 Hz 114.0 dB L
• Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 116.5 dB
40 Hz 116.1 dB L
50 Hz 116.8 dB L
63 Hz 116.5 dB L


Edited by sandydankness - 10/25/13 at 8:57pm
post #13 of 16
Not $500. The PA-150 can generally be had for $350 by making Acoustic Sound Design an offer. That's the way most AVSers buy it, and it would be my choice over the Dayton 15" since, as you point out, that's an unknown. smile.gif
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Not $500. The PA-150 can generally be had for $350 by making Acoustic Sound Design an offer. That's the way most AVSers buy it, and it would be my choice over the Dayton 15" since, as you point out, that's an unknown. smile.gif

O RLY?  hmmm.  Thats a game changer, you got me thinking now....the Dayton didn't seem like much of an upgrade from my previous sub, but that there PA-150 looks pretty solid.  I also like the frequency response more than the bic pl-200 too, much flatter over all.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Not $500. The PA-150 can generally be had for $350 by making Acoustic Sound Design an offer. That's the way most AVSers buy it, and it would be my choice over the Dayton 15" since, as you point out, that's an unknown. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

O RLY?  hmmm.  Thats a game changer, you got me thinking now....the Dayton didn't seem like much of an upgrade from my previous sub, but that there PA-150 looks pretty solid.  I also like the frequency response more than the bic pl-200 too, much flatter over all.

FYI - I tried getting Acoustic Sound Design down to $350 about a week ago and they would not go below $399 shipped. I said that there were reports of users getting it for $350 here, but Mike said the manufacturer had increased the price. Worth a shot asking at $350, but you may not get anywhere.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 

Well, I talked to Jim, he said the Bas-500 was the best musical sub under 300.  Bought a used one for $175, couldn't pass it up, even used, at that price.  Now I have more to spend on some beasts down the line.  Ships wednesday, should have it early next week.

 

Sandman

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › SUB DOWN! SUB DOWN!!!!