or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New HTPC/Gaming computer Video Stuttering
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New HTPC/Gaming computer Video Stuttering

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I just finished this HTPC/Gaming build. I have been following Assassin's Guides and I must say they are Exellent.

Here is the Hardware that I am using:



Intel i7 4770k processor

GPU -GTX 780

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black

2 Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW in Raid 0 config

Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

Swiftech H220 Quiet Power PLUG-AND-PLAY Liquid Cooling System 4 Pin 2x 120mm Fans 3/8 Fitting, Water block for GTX780.

Windows 7 Pro with WMC.

Ceton InfinTV 6 PCIe cable tuner

Samsung 55" Led TV


2 WD black 4GB Hard drives

The Issue that I am having is I am getting Video Stuttering on playback of iso and MKV files, the only two formats I have on this computer. It seems like maybe 2 or 3 frames are missing every 9 to 10 seconds.
When playing live tv in WMC using an InfiniTV 6 PCEe cable tuner there is no stuttering. I have updated to the latest Nvidea driver V 331.58 which is the latest. This issue also happened with the previous driver.

I have played the same backed up movie in a laptop and the MKV movie file works fine , no stuttering . So the filw works fine.

Any ideas on what could be causing this issue??
post #2 of 18
What playback software?
Playing from local hard drive?
You know, if you just had an AMD R9 290x that it would just work... (just pulling your leg of course).
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

What playback software?
Playing from local hard drive?
You know, if you just had an AMD R9 290x that it would just work... (just pulling your leg of course).


Yes lespurgeon I am playing from a local drive using Windows media player and WMC with Windows 7 Pro.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any idea what could be causing the stuttering on playback?
post #5 of 18
To get mkv playback in WMP did you follow the LAV or Shark007 guide?
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

To get mkv playback in WMP did you follow the LAV or Shark007 guide?

Dark_Slayer,
I followed the Lav guide. I did not want to install to many codecs I was not going to use.
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky View Post

Dark_Slayer,
I followed the Lav guide. I did not want to install to many codecs I was not going to use.

Are you bitstreaming to a receiver or decoding everything to a monitor/hdtv? Are you sure the LAV audio bitstreaming options are appropriate for your setup?

Did you run the WMC audio setup (not sure if it's still needed)? What is your audio output device (and other options for output devices) in the Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback tab?
post #8 of 18
I didn't think WMC would play isos.
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Are you bitstreaming to a receiver or decoding everything to a monitor/hdtv? Are you sure the LAV audio bitstreaming options are appropriate for your setup?

Did you run the WMC audio setup (not sure if it's still needed)? What is your audio output device (and other options for output devices) in the Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback tab?

Sorry for taking so long to respond, work got in the way. I have my HTPC connected to a Yamaha RXA1000 AVR via HDMI. The HDMI is plugged into the GTX 780 GPU on my HTPC. I am using a Samsung 54" LED TV.

THe interesting thing is when I right click on speaker icon on my desktop and select Playback I do not see my Yamaha AVR on the list which from what I have read I am supposed to see . What I do see is Nvidea HDMI 1, Nvidea HDMI2, Nvidea HDMI3, Samsung 1, Speakers realtek High def audio, Realtek digital output, realtek HDMI output. Samsung-1 Nvidea High definition audio is the default device. I do not know why my Yamaha AVR does not show up.
When I go into WMC, tasks, settings , General, windows media center setup, setup your speakers, I have selected 5.1 surround speakers which is what I have. I then select the test and do here the test tone out of all of my speakers. I looked at the Lav audio settings and this is what I have selected,
Dolby Digital(AC-3)
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)
Dolby TrueHD
DTS
DTS-HD
Auto A/V Sync correction
Convert output to standard Channel layout
Output Formats
16-bit integer
32-bit integer
32-bit integer floating-point
24-bit integer
8-bit integer
use Dithering for 16 bit output




THanks for your help



Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

I didn't think WMC would play isos.
Yes I did run WMC audio setup. THe audio output device is my Samsung tv which I believe is not correct as I explained above.

I followed assassin's guide to get Iso playback with WMC, that part was not to difficult it uses Virtual clone drive to mount the iso file. Appreciate your
help. I hope with this info we can get get to what is causing the problem.
Edited by blusky - 10/29/13 at 6:53pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky View Post

The audio output device is my Samsung tv which I believe is not correct as I explained above.

It definitely seems that this is the root of your problem.

As to why, I can't say exactly. The first of many things to try will be simply using a different input on your AVR while the PC is off. Then boot up and look through your Control Panel Sound options again to see if the AVR shows up

AFAIK your PC/AVR/TV are all setup correctly but your AVR is misbehaving on what is being reported between your TV and PC.

Also, for what it's worth your hardware should be fine decoding everything itself, so for the sake of testing you could uncheck the Sasmung-TV-incompatible audio formats and see if the stuttering still occurs.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

It definitely seems that this is the root of your problem.

As to why, I can't say exactly. The first of many things to try will be simply using a different input on your AVR while the PC is off. Then boot up and look through your Control Panel Sound options again to see if the AVR shows up

AFAIK your PC/AVR/TV are all setup correctly but your AVR is misbehaving on what is being reported between your TV and PC.

Also, for what it's worth your hardware should be fine decoding everything itself, so for the sake of testing you could uncheck the Sasmung-TV-incompatible audio formats and see if the stuttering still occurs.

Thanks Dark_Slayer for all your help.

I have noticed that this stuttering is happening on playback and watching live cable channels. I went to the Ceton website and found an article, " HBO ( and other channels) rapid framerate changing- Stuttering

I followed the guide and went to channel 411 , Paladia HD, and ended up on a debug presentation screen that showed the frame rate at the bottom. I took a pic of this screen showing the change of the framerate from 29 to 59 and that is when it stutters.

Now my question is this. Can this 29/59 bug be causing both stuttering in live tv and playback? If you look on the debug presentation audio output it says SPDIF. This is not even connected to the Yamaha AVR. Is there anything I can do about this other than keep trying different drivers for the GTX 780 GPU??






Appreciate all the help.
post #12 of 18
why dont you use VLC player and test it
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blusky View Post

Now my question is this. Can this 29/59 bug be causing both stuttering in live tv and playback?
No, separate issues

I'd focus on mkv playback first then come back to the live tv issue (just my general preference, but feel free to go whichever way suits your need)

It looks like your LAV audio settings are fine for your AVR. You just need to find which Audio device is your AVR. It should show up under playback devices as you know, but what might be the simplest route to get things going will just be trying each of the three NVIDIA HDMI output options. Then re-run the WMC audio setup and see if it's going through your AVR to your speakers. If everything is good your appropriate hd audio light should show up when you start MKV playback (assuming your mkv has an hd audio track)

Second, what are your LAV Video Settings? Do you have cuvid selected as the hardware decoder?
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

No, separate issues

I'd focus on mkv playback first then come back to the live tv issue (just my general preference, but feel free to go whichever way suits your need)

It looks like your LAV audio settings are fine for your AVR. You just need to find which Audio device is your AVR. It should show up under playback devices as you know, but what might be the simplest route to get things going will just be trying each of the three NVIDIA HDMI output options. Then re-run the WMC audio setup and see if it's going through your AVR to your speakers. If everything is good your appropriate hd audio light should show up when you start MKV playback (assuming your mkv has an hd audio track)

Second, what are your LAV Video Settings? Do you have cuvid selected as the hardware decoder?

As soon as I get back I will try the other Nvidea HDMI outputs and see what that does. When I do the audio setup in WMC, the speaker test, I do here audio on all the speakers I have. My setup is 5.1

I will definitely take your advice and work on the MKV playback issue first. I am not at home now and will not be till tomorrow. I did go back into the Assassin's guide and it only sets up the audio settings and does not change any video settings so I can assume my video settings are set to default. Will check for sure when I get back.

Appreciate the help,
will post back results.
Edited by blusky - 11/4/13 at 7:14pm
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

No, separate issues

I'd focus on mkv playback first then come back to the live tv issue (just my general preference, but feel free to go whichever way suits your need)

It looks like your LAV audio settings are fine for your AVR. You just need to find which Audio device is your AVR. It should show up under playback devices as you know, but what might be the simplest route to get things going will just be trying each of the three NVIDIA HDMI output options. Then re-run the WMC audio setup and see if it's going through your AVR to your speakers. If everything is good your appropriate hd audio light should show up when you start MKV playback (assuming your mkv has an hd audio track)

Second, what are your LAV Video Settings? Do you have cuvid selected as the hardware decoder?

The only audio device on playback that I can select is the Samsung.




The other playback devices are not highlighted and I cannot select them.
Ex. Nvidea HDMI output port 1, port 2, port3, speakers Realtek high def audio. Etc.

I was playing one of my backed up Blu-ray movies using Make Mkv, that I know has Hd audio:




This is what I see on my Yamaha AVR when I play this movie:



Sorry, this pic did not come out good. This is what I see,
It shows all my speekers and
says Volume adaptive DRC.

When I do select Samsung as playback device I am able to setup and test my speakers with no problem. Here are some of my settings:





Here are my Lav video settings:




Your help is greatly appreciated.
Edited by blusky - 11/2/13 at 1:32pm
post #16 of 18
I might be incorrect about the Samsung display showing up instead of your AVR. . .

I can't really tell what your AVR is displaying, but is that where it displays DTS-HD/TrueHD when those tracks are detected? Are those lights coming on during playback?

While your i7 should be handling software decode just fine, there isn't really any reason not to change the LAV decoder setting (the red box in my previous screenshot) to CUVID. It may eliminate the stutter altogether. If your AVR lights for HD Audio aren't coming on then I'm pretty stumped. Your LAV splitter/audio settings are correct, and the Windows Audio settings for your default playback device look correct as well.
post #17 of 18
With some google-ing it looks like the RXA1000 doesn't have HD Audio indicator lights. Is this correct?
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I might be incorrect about the Samsung display showing up instead of your AVR. . .

I can't really tell what your AVR is displaying, but is that where it displays DTS-HD/TrueHD when those tracks are detected? Are those lights coming on during playback? I went in to the manual and I could not find anything that says it will display DTS-HD or TrueHD when playing. I apologize. Somehow I thought it would.

While your i7 should be handling software decode just fine, there isn't really any reason not to change the LAV decoder setting (the red box in my previous screenshot) to CUVID. It may eliminate the stutter altogether. If your AVR lights for HD Audio aren't coming on then I'm pretty stumped. Your LAV splitter/audio settings are correct, and the Windows Audio settings for your default playback device look correct as well.
I went into the manual of my Yamaha and as you had said it does not display when DTS-HD or TrueHD is played. My apologies. For some reason I had thought I had seen that display before.


Ok , I will try the CUVID setting and post back.

Thanks again.,



Update:

I selected the Nvidea Cuvid settings in Lav and for some reason still getting Stuttering on the video playback. I tried 3 different movies and is still occurring about every 9 to 10 seconds.
Edited by blusky - 11/4/13 at 7:24pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › New HTPC/Gaming computer Video Stuttering