or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Sony releases a PlayStation 4 FAQ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony releases a PlayStation 4 FAQ - Page 2

post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I think everything is good as long as you don't share your log in information. I believe that is against the TOS, although I haven't bothered reading through it lately.

So sharing this way would be kosher as long as its done locally and in person. Morally, some might have some qualms.


The Vita remote play thing is huge. I don't mind doing the share thing with a good friend, but I want to be able to do the remote play on my Vita. Apparently, that will only work with the primary PS4. So if my bud has "my" primary PS4, and I have his primary PS4, I would only be able to remote play if I put his account info on my Vita. If he never owns a Vita, I guess that would work ok, but it would still kind of suck.
post #32 of 50
Sure, but that's because the primary PS4 is literally booting up and playing the game.

Just from a design point, I don't think they want others being able to remotely boot into secondary/remote PS4 that are not their own.

Opens all sorts of vulnerability issues, especially if the security keys ever get cracked.
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The Vita remote play thing is huge. I don't mind doing the share thing with a good friend, but I want to be able to do the remote play on my Vita. Apparently, that will only work with the primary PS4. So if my bud has "my" primary PS4, and I have his primary PS4, I would only be able to remote play if I put his account info on my Vita. If he never owns a Vita, I guess that would work ok, but it would still kind of suck.
So then don't conspire to steal and use it like it's meant to be used. biggrin.gif
post #34 of 50
NONE of the non Sony streaming services available at launch. That's rather stunning.
post #35 of 50
Where did you read that? The FAQ just says this:
Quote:
We will announce other entertainment services that will be available on Day 1 before launch.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

Where did you read that? The FAQ just says this:

Doh! I misread that to say that they will announce other services on launch day, not announcing beforehand for launch. Sorry! And whew.
post #37 of 50
Make sure your buddy connects to your wireless router to appear to be a single household.

And give him his allowance when he mows your yard.
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

So then don't conspire to steal and use it like it's meant to be used. biggrin.gif

Oh no, here we go again with the whole morality thing...



Why does anybody buy anything digital unless they are going to try to take advantage of any and all possbile loopholes that come with buying something digital ?

Seriously. What advantages are there for buying things digitally ?

When I buy a physical game, I have so many rights that come along with that. (yeah, yeah, I know we don't technically own the games, etc, etc).


1. I can keep the game myself
2. I can give it to my brother
3. I can let my nephew borrow it.
4. I can trade it in to GameStop for pennies on the dollar
5. I can sell it on Ebay for a lot more than pennies on the dollar (but have to pay huge ebay fees)
6. I can sell it locally on Craigslist for a lot more than pennies on the dollar
7. I can take the disk outside, throw it up in the air and try to shoot a BB gun at it.


When you buy something digital, you're throwing 99 percent of your rights as a consumer down the toilet.

There has to be some advantage to buying something digital, if you're just throwing all your consumer rights out the window.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Oh no, here we go again with the whole morality thing...



Why does anybody buy anything digital unless they are going to try to take advantage of any and all possbile loopholes that come with buying something digital ?

Well, morality has something to do with it. From what I can tell the bulk of your posts seem centered around game-sharing. I'm not going to preach like I'm innocent on digital content distribution but I'm also not going to pretend that it's ok. If you do it, do it, but don't try to spin-it or rationalize it as not being what it is.

To answer the bolded question specifically:

1) Avoid going to the store - paying taxes
2) Avoid having to get up a stick a disc in, particularly if it's a often played game like COD
3) Avoid risk of losing the media
4) Being able to play it back on multiple consoles that I own (I personally used this with multiple PS3s. One stayed in me theater and I had another travel-unit that I used because I was traveling 2-3 days a week every week)

Granted you do give up your ability to trade, lend, and resell afterwards. It's a pro/con scale.

Setting something up with your buddy across state so that you can guys can share games is a bit different and obviously not the intent.
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

From what I can tell the bulk of your posts seem centered around game-sharing.

Ok, so I have over 5,000 posts on this forum, and have been here since 1999, and I believe that posts that I've made that have anything whatsoever to do with game sharing are well under 50. (probably way under 50)

So, that equates to less than 1 percent of my posts. Your definition of "bulk" varies considerably from mine. smile.gif
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Ok, so I have over 5,000 posts on this forum, and have been here since 1999, and I believe that posts that I've made that have anything whatsoever to do with game sharing are well under 50. (probably way under 50)

So, that equates to less than 1 percent of my posts. Your definition of "bulk" varies considerably from mine. smile.gif

Ok, bulk as of late then.... I'm sure you werent talking about in 2001. My point is it seems you are more vocal about game sharing than any other frequent posters here.
post #42 of 50
Well, actually all of that started with Microsoft's Family Sharing Plan that they were originally talking about a number of months ago. For the fist time ever, I felt like maybe there was actually a benefit to buying things digitally with that idea. When that idea first came about, I was very excited about the possibilites of spending dramatically less money than normal for my hobby.


I've already said that buying digital makes almost no sense whatsoever, in terms of the liberties and rights that we give up, along with our physical media, but I must admit that I'm a bit of a hyprocrite in this regard, because if you price the games low enough, I guess I'm willing to sell my soul for super cheap games. I built a gaming PC in Spring of 2010, and it only took me a few months of Steam and GamersGate and Amazon downloads to get hip to the fact that if I bought a game digitally for 5 bucks, I didn't really care if all my previous rights were stripped away. Price it low enough, and I just didn't care.

Fast forward two years, and I've been mostly playing games on my PC for the last couple of years, and very rarely have I spent more than $9.99 on anything. Yes, these games are digital, and they can't be resold, but I didn't mind because I was buying them so low that the lack of my ability to sell them off to somebody else was no big deal.

So for me, the only way I'm going down the digital pathway, is if there is something in it for me. When Microsoft came out with the Family Share thing, that seemed like a great way to go about it. I wouldn't quite get the games for only 5 bucks like on Steam, but if I was sharing with enough guys, it would have been pretty close to that.

So you can blame it all on Microsoft and their Family Share plan for corrupting my brain in regards to this.
post #43 of 50
I do think the MS family sharing plan is likely to make a comeback in light of steam family sharing.
post #44 of 50
I prefer digital because I like to jump between games at a whim and my fat ass is too lazy to get up off the couch. Hell, it's why I prefer to buy Vita games digitally, even though you can have the games right next to you! (Damn tiny memory cards.) I have rarely, if ever, traded a game in because of the insultingly low amount that Gamestop offers and the possibility I may go back to a game for one last achievement/trophy/etc. Also, I can't say how many times great DLC is announced and I see people whining that they just traded the game in. Yeah, trade it in for $3.60 and then you have to rebuy it for $30. Smart! And yes, I am going to argue morality, because you are stealing money from people. Why don't you go to Wal-mart and shoplift too?
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Well, morality has something to do with it. From what I can tell the bulk of your posts seem centered around game-sharing. I'm not going to preach like I'm innocent on digital content distribution but I'm also not going to pretend that it's ok. If you do it, do it, but don't try to spin-it or rationalize it as not being what it is.

To answer the bolded question specifically:

1) Avoid going to the store - paying taxes
2) Avoid having to get up a stick a disc in, particularly if it's a often played game like COD
3) Avoid risk of losing the media
4) Being able to play it back on multiple consoles that I own (I personally used this with multiple PS3s. One stayed in me theater and I had another travel-unit that I used because I was traveling 2-3 days a week every week)

Granted you do give up your ability to trade, lend, and resell afterwards. It's a pro/con scale.

Setting something up with your buddy across state so that you can guys can share games is a bit different and obviously not the intent.
I disagree. By your logic, it is unethical to give away or sell your games because that isn't the intent of the people who made it. Besides, as I pointed out above, Sony exec Jack Trentton once said that they want people to share the games to get it into the hands of more people. They may have restricted it a bit since then, but they never removed the sharing functionality in the PS3 because they don't see it as being "wrong" by using this feature in and of itself.

And the PS4 FAQ specifically says with this new version pf sharing: "You can use up to two systems concurrently: the system activated as your "primary" PS4 system, and one other system". That's literally granting the ability to use your account simultaneously in two different places if you wish, and the only reason it works is because Sony allows it. No hack is involved.

The safeguards from abuse of sharing with too many people is even stronger than on the PS3 in that you have to trust someone with your account indefinitely; the current console let's you share it once for all of our content and then you never have to give your account access to them again.

So who you share on the PS4 with is up to you - your kid downstairs or your brother 300 miles away. It is still the allowed sharing with one, specific person at a time.
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post



So who you share on the PS4 with is up to you - your kid downstairs or your brother 300 miles away. It is still the allowed sharing with one, specific person at a time.


This is my main point. Basically, Sony is allowing your digital purchases to live in two locations. You can basically share your games with two PS4's, that's it. So, if two brothers want to share games between each other they can do it. If two college buddies want to do it, they can do it.

Of course, it's a one time deal, so you better make sure whoever you do it with is in it for the long haul.



With the Target B2G1 deal, I'm going to start off with getting physical games. With the Target B2G1 deal, you can get the games for $43.39 each (with tax approx.), which isn't that much more than sharing the digital games. Do they charge tax on the digital games ?
post #47 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I disagree. By your logic, it is unethical to give away or sell your games because that isn't the intent of the people who made it. Besides, as I pointed out above, Sony exec Jack Trentton once said that they want people to share the games to get it into the hands of more people. They may have restricted it a bit since then, but they never removed the sharing functionality in the PS3 because they don't see it as being "wrong" by using this feature in and of itself.

And the PS4 FAQ specifically says with this new version pf sharing: "You can use up to two systems concurrently: the system activated as your "primary" PS4 system, and one other system". That's literally granting the ability to use your account simultaneously in two different places if you wish, and the only reason it works is because Sony allows it. No hack is involved.

The safeguards from abuse of sharing with too many people is even stronger than on the PS3 in that you have to trust someone with your account indefinitely; the current console let's you share it once for all of our content and then you never have to give your account access to them again.

So who you share on the PS4 with is up to you - your kid downstairs or your brother 300 miles away. It is still the allowed sharing with one, specific person at a time.

Give and selling games are explicitly the intent when released on disc. Sony/Dev/Publisher might not like it, but the license is granted on disc is that fashion.

They permit 2 systems because there are families and households with two systems. They have to permit such a thing, imagine the uproar if they didn't. You think they have kept the legalize away that permits two separate households to share content.
Quote:
Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through SEN First Party Services are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of Authorized Devices in the country in which your account is registered.

http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/terms-of-service/
post #48 of 50
Still don´t know if I HAVE TO BE + if I want to play on line rolleyes.gif
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlalotoani View Post

Still don´t know if I HAVE TO BE + if I want to play on line rolleyes.gif

you need to be a plus member to game online.
post #50 of 50
in this case 90% of chances of not getting PS4 and changing to PC.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Sony releases a PlayStation 4 FAQ