Originally Posted by mijotter
Went to put the wires in the back of the abra and three of them their labels wore off. What is the best way to figure out which speaker wire goes to the correct speaker?
Wires in a cable are distinguished from each other by several means, of which labels are just one.
(1) Do the wires have different colors of insulation, or stripes on the insulation, or have different colors of metal (e.g. bare copper versus tinned copper)?
(2) Are the wires molded into a ribbon, in which case one edge of the ribbon is marked, usually with a rib or a stripe.
(3) Are there molded ribs on the outside of the wire;s insulation?
(4) Use an ohm meter or continuity checker to see which ends of the wires have continuity or electrical connection to each other.
(5) Are the wires connected to connectors, in which case you can figure out which pin at one end goes with what pin on the other?