or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Sherbourn PA 7-350 Amp Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Sherbourn PA 7-350 Amp Discussion Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 185
Gotta lighten the load up sometimes biggrin.gif
post #32 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

The XLR cables look cool IMO, but unless you have some really long cables there's no performance advantage over a standard high quality RCA cable. So you could just go with some good quality RCA's and not worry about which AVR you're going to upgrade too.

The idea that a balanced output is a requirement for benefitting from an XLR cable and a balanced input is not a universal truth.

The idea that balanced cables only have benefits for long cables is also not a universal truth.

Most of the advantages of balanced interconnections relate to noise, particularly hum due grounding problems. Most of the noise that people encounter in complex systems is hum. The hum more often comes from grounding problems than pickup by long cables.

Most of the hum reduction due to balanced connections happens at the balanced input. The hum rejection of a balanced input can be as high as 1000:1 or more if transformers are used.

Some of the hum reduction due to balanced connections can be due to the balanced output, but the benefit here is limited to less than 2:1.

If you make up the cable properly, you can get most of the benefit of a balanced connection with the right 2-conductor cable running from an unbalanced output (e.g. RCA jack) output.

The proper cable is wired like this:



This cable will not allow you to enjoy the 2:1 potential noise reduction due to having a true balanced output, but it may allow you to obtain the up to 1000:1 or more benefit of the balanced input.

In some cases the balanced input is essentially a fake. Only one of the two signal inputs is connected to active circuitry. In this case an external transformer or "ground loop isolator" such as http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214 Catalog #: 270-054.



One caveat about using these is that many of them lack magnetic shielding and can pick up more hum than they reject. The solution is to put it into a metal shelding enclosure which is easy enough to make out of a small tomato paste can.
post #33 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The idea that a balanced output is a requirement for benefitting from an XLR cable and a balanced input is not a universal truth.

The idea that balanced cables only have benefits for long cables is also not a universal truth.

Most of the advantages of balanced interconnections relate to noise, particularly hum due grounding problems. Most of the noise that people encounter in complex systems is hum. The hum more often comes from grounding problems than pickup by long cables.

Most of the hum reduction due to balanced connections happens at the balanced input. The hum rejection of a balanced input can be as high as 1000:1 or more if transformers are used.

Some of the hum reduction due to balanced connections can be due to the balanced output, but the benefit here is limited to less than 2:1.

If you make up the cable properly, you can get most of the benefit of a balanced connection with the right 2-conductor cable running from an unbalanced output (e.g. RCA jack) output.

The proper cable is wired like this:



This cable will not allow you to enjoy the 2:1 potential noise reduction due to having a true balanced output, but it may allow you to obtain the up to 1000:1 or more benefit of the balanced input.

In some cases the balanced input is essentially a fake. Only one of the two signal inputs is connected to active circuitry. In this case an external transformer or "ground loop isolator" such as http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214 Catalog #: 270-054.



One caveat about using these is that many of them lack magnetic shielding and can pick up more hum than they reject. The solution is to put it into a metal shelding enclosure which is easy enough to make out of a small tomato paste can.
Do cans from the more expensive tomato paste makers perform better? smile.gif
post #34 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

The humming could be coming from just about anything. Unhook everything and put back together one wire at a time. Relisten after each connection for our hum. Once you hear it again you will know your source. Then you can act accordingly (or not) to try and resolve your issue. I would first try and use a cheater plug. Get at HD for .69 cents or so.
Did you just realize hum or has it always been there?

Good luck getting a 20amp cheater plug, especially at HD though.
post #35 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The idea that a balanced output is a requirement for benefitting from an XLR cable and a balanced input is not a universal truth.

The idea that balanced cables only have benefits for long cables is also not a universal truth.

Most of the advantages of balanced interconnections relate to noise, particularly hum due grounding problems. Most of the noise that people encounter in complex systems is hum. The hum more often comes from grounding problems than pickup by long cables.

Most of the hum reduction due to balanced connections happens at the balanced input. The hum rejection of a balanced input can be as high as 1000:1 or more if transformers are used.

Some of the hum reduction due to balanced connections can be due to the balanced output, but the benefit here is limited to less than 2:1.

If you make up the cable properly, you can get most of the benefit of a balanced connection with the right 2-conductor cable running from an unbalanced output (e.g. RCA jack) output.

The proper cable is wired like this:



This cable will not allow you to enjoy the 2:1 potential noise reduction due to having a true balanced output, but it may allow you to obtain the up to 1000:1 or more benefit of the balanced input.

In some cases the balanced input is essentially a fake. Only one of the two signal inputs is connected to active circuitry. In this case an external transformer or "ground loop isolator" such as http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214 Catalog #: 270-054.



One caveat about using these is that many of them lack magnetic shielding and can pick up more hum than they reject. The solution is to put it into a metal shelding enclosure which is easy enough to make out of a small tomato paste can.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there very few amps that actually have proper balanced connectors in the amp?
For example I was under the impression that Emotiva amps don't have truly balanced XLR connections in the amp.
post #36 of 185
Hey Imperatore, Thanks for the input. I'm from the great state of New Jersey. My business is still there and I've traveled every month for the last 15 years. I got lucky . My nephew is a licensed electrician .. The run is about 40 ft. I picked up all the supplies. Breakers, receptacles ..We used 12-2 romex and we worked together..He charges me about 15 an hour and I normally double it..He told me a single run was $180.The first night we worked 4 1/2 hours..A lot of crawling around in the attic..he wanted $60 and I gave him 150. The next week we ran cl12 for two surrounds and he did 5 speakers in my granddaughters room. He also did all the hidden lines for the plasma. Maybe I gave him 400 all together for three nights.I know he was happy. My business is in Kearny and I'm from Passaic. I appreciate the offer..Thanks again
post #37 of 185
My understanding is that the mono blocks from Emotiva are balanced. Quad-differential.. Xpa-1l Xpa-1 Xpr-1. Maybe upa-100..it's what I have read.. My knowledge is very limited. I'm really interested in bi-amping my fronts and have giving thought to the center also..Just running out of channels. I was hoping to use the second amp in another room.
My surrounds are fx6's rated at 150 watts. My Onkyo is rated 135 with two channels driven..If I bi-amped the fronts and center with the PA-7350 would Onkyo have enough juice ? Or eliminate bi-amping the center and send 350 to center and surrounds? Any thoughts on this ? From anyone ?
post #38 of 185
From what I've heard bi amping with passive crossovers is a waste unless you really need the extra power. If your speakers are rated at 150 watts rms and the amp is 350, I don't see why you'd need any more. Believe me ive been pondering doing it since I have 2 unused channels on my 7-350. I'll just save money on speaker wire and have the 2 extra channels on standby in case one of the amps channels stops working ill have some backups.
post #39 of 185
Power output [rated power]:
350 watts/channel RMS; ALL channels driven; into 8 ohms (at 0.1% THD)
550 watts/channel RMS; ALL channels driven; into 4 ohms (at 0.1% THD)
500 watts/channel RMS; 3 channels driven; into 8 ohms (at 1% THD)
850 watts/channel RMS; 3 channels driven; into 4 ohms (at 1% THD)
600 watts/channel RMS; 1 channel driven; into 8 ohms (at 1% THD)
1200 watts/channel RMS; 1 channel driven; into 4 ohms (at 1% THD)
post #40 of 185
I'm glad this thread was created!! I would love to share experiences will fellow 7-350 owners.

Let me start by saying I started with a slight ground loop problem. I tried a ton of different things to isolate the problem and eliminate it. When I went to XLRs and the problem went away. I'm a big believer in XLRs. I had very high quality RCA prior to my XLRs.

I doubt my run would be considered long as my XLR cables are only 3 feet. smile.gif
post #41 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I got the amp recently and just hooked it up as I was waiting on some JBL rebuild drivers. It is on a 15amp circuit that I have a Furman 20amp adapter used to plug it in. It will still humm with just the amp plugged in and speaker wires connected. I guess with everything else plugged into my power conditioner then into the same outlet it could have an effect. Remind me what the cheater plug is? Two prong with no ground?

Yup
post #42 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

I'm glad this thread was created!! I would love to share experiences will fellow 7-350 owners.

Let me start by saying I started with a slight ground loop problem. I tried a ton of different things to isolate the problem and eliminate it. When I went to XLRs and the problem went away. I'm a big believer in XLRs. I had very high quality RCA prior to my XLRs.

I doubt my run would be considered long as my XLR cables are only 3 feet. smile.gif

Have you tried other RCA's with higher inductance? It sounds like the RCA may have been the hum issue.
post #43 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoggSocal View Post

From what I've heard bi amping with passive crossovers is a waste unless you really need the extra power. If your speakers are rated at 150 watts rms and the amp is 350, I don't see why you'd need any more. Believe me ive been pondering doing it since I have 2 unused channels on my 7-350. I'll just save money on speaker wire and have the 2 extra channels on standby in case one of the amps channels stops working ill have some backups.
. Sorry. I should have stated my fronts and center requirements .. Fronts are 50-500 and center is 20-200.. All three are bi-ampible .. I found a world of difference going from 135 with just the fronts being driven with the Onkyo and the 350 with the Sherbourn ..if I bi-amp all three ( 2-fronts. 1- center ) with the Sherbourn then I need the Onkyo (135) to run the surrounds ..
I'm thinking of just trying the fronts for the time being and leaving the center and surrounds alone .,hopefully get to it today and I'll report back .
But if the difference from the Onkyo to the Sherbourn is any indication of the improvement from 135 to 350 then 350 to bi-amped 700 should be intense ., I guess the question unanswered is weather bi-amping works ..??
post #44 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHoggSocal View Post

From what I've heard bi amping with passive crossovers is a waste unless you really need the extra power. If your speakers are rated at 150 watts rms and the amp is 350, I don't see why you'd need any more. Believe me ive been pondering doing it since I have 2 unused channels on my 7-350. I'll just save money on speaker wire and have the 2 extra channels on standby in case one of the amps channels stops working ill have some backups.
Wouldn't you take advantage of the 10 year warranty if you had an issue with the amp? Not a using an amp channel just in case a channel may go out in the future is certainly not a good reason for not using it. If your speakers don't have wattage needs that's a different story but its not about the watts it's about having headroom and good clean power. It produces a cleaner sound with less distortion. No matter what speaker I've ever tred bi amping always sounds better to me.
Don't believe everything you hear to be an end all statement. Since you have the channels try it out and judge for yourself. Speaker wire is cheap especially if your using monoprice type stuff. Now if your using cables like I just bought which cost a few g's a pair that's another story. It cost a couple grand to add another speaker set and a couple grand more for a pair of interconnects but 20' of 12/2 speaker wire costs under $10 bucks. I just saw a roll of inwall 12/2 awg for $38.25 for 250'. Can use out of wall just the same. In fact lays better on floor since its sheathed better. Just a thought. Don't make assumptions of what others tell you. Find out for yourself. 99.9% of hoe speakers use passive crossovers. There's a reason manufacturers put 2 pairs of binding posts on speakers. The way the speakers are wired allows for better function when fed separate power to each or at the least a separate signal.
post #45 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

. Sorry. I should have stated my fronts and center requirements .. Fronts are 50-500 and center is 20-200.. All three are bi-ampible .. I found a world of difference going from 135 with just the fronts being driven with the Onkyo and the 350 with the Sherbourn ..if I bi-amp all three ( 2-fronts. 1- center ) with the Sherbourn then I need the Onkyo (135) to run the surrounds ..
I'm thinking of just trying the fronts for the time being and leaving the center and surrounds alone .,hopefully get to it today and I'll report back .
But if the difference from the Onkyo to the Sherbourn is any indication of the improvement from 135 to 350 then 350 to bi-amped 700 should be intense ., I guess the question unanswered is weather bi-amping works ..??
I have a Csia6. Trust me bi amp that too. Leaving the surround for your avr is totally fine and somewhat standard practice for people with only one amp. Especially is you listen to music with Dolby music setting where center plays too. Bi amp all 3 to start then you could try without center. My guess is you will like it bi amped across all front soundstage.
post #46 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

My understanding is that the mono blocks from Emotiva are balanced. Quad-differential.. Xpa-1l Xpa-1 Xpr-1. Maybe upa-100..it's what I have read.. My knowledge is very limited. I'm really interested in bi-amping my fronts and have giving thought to the center also..Just running out of channels. I was hoping to use the second amp in another room.
My surrounds are fx6's rated at 150 watts. My Onkyo is rated 135 with two channels driven..If I bi-amped the fronts and center with the PA-7350 would Onkyo have enough juice ? Or eliminate bi-amping the center and send 350 to center and surrounds? Any thoughts on this ? From anyone ?

Surrounds see less than 10% duty and for only short quick bursts. The only way you'll know what you like is to try diff arrangements out.
Edited by Imperatore - 10/31/13 at 9:03pm
post #47 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

Hey Imperatore, Thanks for the input. I'm from the great state of New Jersey. My business is still there and I've traveled every month for the last 15 years. I got lucky . My nephew is a licensed electrician .. The run is about 40 ft. I picked up all the supplies. Breakers, receptacles ..We used 12-2 romex and we worked together..He charges me about 15 an hour and I normally double it..He told me a single run was $180.The first night we worked 4 1/2 hours..A lot of crawling around in the attic..he wanted $60 and I gave him 150. The next week we ran cl12 for two surrounds and he did 5 speakers in my granddaughters room. He also did all the hidden lines for the plasma. Maybe I gave him 400 all together for three nights.I know he was happy. My business is in Kearny and I'm from Passaic. I appreciate the offer..Thanks again

Nice a fellow Jerseyian! I grew up as a child in West Paterson now called Woodland Park. Then lived in Parsippany. As a teenager I remember cruising Ridge Road in Kearny in my friends cars a couple times. After I graduated college and got married I built a house in West Morris Long Valley and have been here ever since.
I wish I had an inexpensive relative to do all my house. I've done everything in my house with inwalls, hidden wires, hanging plasmas by myself. It's very time consuming running wires. When installing the 3 20 amp circuits I actually zapped myself at the main box when my wife took my attention for a second. I had bare copper strands wiring a 20 amp surge protected breaker and she is yapping with my son in her arms about needing power on right now blah blah blah and then BLAMMO I got the shock of a lifetime. I was sitting on my quad at the time. The panel is right next to where I park it. So I think the big rubber tires saved me from being shocked worse or hurt. Anyways my wife said I screamed like a girl. Here I almost died and she's making fun of me. Meanwhile my daughter is running up to me to make sure I'm okay. My wife kept saying what happened as if she didn't know she took my attention by complaining and I got a shock. My little 4 yr old girl had to tell her moody daddy got zapped! Wen I turned to tell here in a couple minutes the strands I was holding somehow glanced near the knuckle where power enters the house. It only took that brief distraction for it to occur. Lesson learned don't allow wives to take your attention from what you are doing. Cause most woman don't give a **** about what your doing with your stereo or tv. They could care less. But they sure care about having crown molding, chair rail and wainscoating Put in.

What type of business are you in that allows you to live out of state? How do you like living in Florida!
Edited by Imperatore - 10/31/13 at 4:13am
post #48 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Good luck getting a 20amp cheater plug, especially at HD though.

I don't think he is using a 20 amp circuit. He seems also to be running everything through a furman suppressor or conditioner. Pretty sure he is using 15 amp receptacle.
post #49 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

. Sorry. I should have stated my fronts and center requirements .. Fronts are 50-500 and center is 20-200.. All three are bi-ampible .. I found a world of difference going from 135 with just the fronts being driven with the Onkyo and the 350 with the Sherbourn ..if I bi-amp all three ( 2-fronts. 1- center ) with the Sherbourn then I need the Onkyo (135) to run the surrounds ..
I'm thinking of just trying the fronts for the time being and leaving the center and surrounds alone .,hopefully get to it today and I'll report back .
But if the difference from the Onkyo to the Sherbourn is any indication of the improvement from 135 to 350 then 350 to bi-amped 700 should be intense ., I guess the question unanswered is weather bi-amping works ..??

You will not be getting 700 watts by biamping. The wattage does not double when biamping.
post #50 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Do you think that biamping doubles the power to each speaker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Do you think that biamping doubles the power to each speaker?
No. My front mains 4 ohm speakers are seeing 550 watts each.
post #51 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

You will not be getting 700 watts by biamping. The wattage does not double when biamping.
You will be receiving 350(at most) to both high and low wiring of your speaker. It's still just 350. Your speakers will sound great.
post #52 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

Wouldn't you take advantage of the 10 year warranty if you had an issue with the amp? Not a using an amp channel just in case a channel may go out in the future is certainly not a good reason for not using it. If your speakers don't have wattage needs that's a different story but its not about the watts it's about having headroom and good clean power. It produces a cleaner sound with less distortion. No matter what speaker I've ever tred bi amping always sounds better to me.
Don't believe everything you hear to be an end all statement. Since you have the channels try it out and judge for yourself. Speaker wire is cheap especially if your using monoprice type stuff. Now if your using cables like I just bought which cost a few g's a pair that's another story. It cost a couple grand to add another speaker set and a couple grand more for a pair of interconnects but 20' of 12/2 speaker wire costs under $10 bucks. I just saw a roll of inwall 12/2 awg for $38.25 for 250'. Can use out of wall just the same. In fact lays better on floor since its sheathed better. Just a thought. Don't make assumptions of what others tell you. Find out for yourself. 99.9% of hoe speakers use passive crossovers. There's a reason manufacturers put 2 pairs of binding posts on speakers. The way the speakers are wired allows for better function when fed separate power to each or at the least a separate signal.

Manufacturers put two sets of binding posts on their speakers to pacify those who have placeboitus.smile.gif
post #53 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

Nice a fellow Jerseyian! I grew up as a child in West Paterson now called Woodland Park. Then lived in Parsippany. As a teenager I remember cruising Ridge Road in Kearny in my friends cars a couple times. After I graduated college and got married I built a house in West Morris Long Valley and have been here ever since.
I wish I had an inexpensive relative to do all my house. I've done everything in my house with inwalls, hidden wires, hanging plasmas by myself. It's very time consuming running wires. When installing the 3 20 amp circuits I actually zapped myself at the main box when my wife took my attention for a second. I had bare copper strands wiring a 20 amp surge protected breaker and she is yapping with my son in her arms about needing power on right now blah blah blah and then BLAMMO I got the shock of a lifetime. I was sitting on my quad at the time. The panel is right next to where I park it. So I think the big rubber tires saved me from being shocked worse or hurt. Anyways my wife said I screamed like a girl. Here I almost died and she's making fun of me. Meanwhile my daughter is running up to me to make sure I'm okay. My wife kept saying what happened as if she didn't know she took my attention by complaining and I got a shock. My little 4 yr old girl had to tell her moody daddy got zapped! Wen I turned to tell here in a couple minutes the strands I was holding somehow glanced near the knuckle where power enters the house. It only took that brief distraction for it to occur. Lesson learned don't allow wives to take your attention from what you are doing. Cause most woman don't give a **** about what your doing with your stereo or tv. They could care less. But they sure care about having crown molding, chair rail and wainscoating Put in.

What type of business are you in that allows you to live out of state? How do you like living in Florida!
. Florida takes some getting use to .. I moved here with my first wife in the 70's.. That didn't work out . Can't live with them , can't herd them all to Canada . ( I'm watching Married with Children as I type with my sick granddaughter ). Started my business in 79. I supply cutting tools to mainly aerospace industry in New Jersey and Ct. From working 50 hours a week in the old days on the front line to today , fishing on my boat or lying by the pool and taking orders by phone , text and e-mail ..it's a different world today...
I met my second wife in Fl and she wouldn't move so I had to ..I lost her to cancer last year and her dying request was for me to take care of our granddaughter who has been with us since she was born ..both her parents are here in Fl and even though she lives with me full time I can't take her out of the state to live . Education sucks big time here . Ranked 49 th out of 50. But if you want to live in a million $ NJ house for 300 g's in Fl and pay less then 4 g for property tax and no state income tax then Fl is the state for you ..Christina is 12 so 6 more years and she will go away to college and I can move if I chose to ..
What kind of speaker wire did you buy and did you find a difference ? I pretty much make my own using mono price 12 gauge and GLS locking bananas ..
This hobby is addicting .. In the last 4 months I've bought 1 plasma , 4 amps , 9 speakers , two dacs + preamps and just the other day 400 ft of braided sleeve, 100 ft of red and black shrink wrap and 48 more GLS bananas with another 250 roll of wire. Waiting on my two svs. Sb13 ultra subs. And I'm thinking of converting to spade lugs ..My name is bub and I have a problem.
post #54 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

I don't think he is using a 20 amp circuit. He seems also to be running everything through a furman suppressor or conditioner. Pretty sure he is using 15 amp receptacle.

My point was the PA 7-350 requires a 20amp plug, so I think he'll have a hard time finding a cheater plug to use with a PA 7-350 if he things that's what's causing the hum issue.
post #55 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My point was the PA 7-350 requires a 20amp plug, so I think he'll have a hard time finding a cheater plug to use with a PA 7-350 if he things that's what's causing the hum issue.
No your right I understand your point. I am just assuming by what I've read that he may be using adapter of some sort. If he is using the stock male end then he will have to go to speciality electric shop or online. Sometimes using solid state amps, exciters and what not can introduce a faint buzz on speakers if you put your ear to it. I refer to it as the power buzz. I just ignore it bc unless you put ear to speaker you can't hear it. You could chase your tail for hours and still not get rid of anything. A ground loop is much more annoying and pronounced.
You are correct when you say those Cheater plugs can't be bought at HD or Lowes. True indeed. I've already been there and done that mad.gif
post #56 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

. Florida takes some getting use to .. I moved here with my first wife in the 70's.. That didn't work out . Can't live with them , can't herd them all to Canada . ( I'm watching Married with Children as I type with my sick granddaughter ). Started my business in 79. I supply cutting tools to mainly aerospace industry in New Jersey and Ct. From working 50 hours a week in the old days on the front line to today , fishing on my boat or lying by the pool and taking orders by phone , text and e-mail ..it's a different world today...
I met my second wife in Fl and she wouldn't move so I had to ..I lost her to cancer last year and her dying request was for me to take care of our granddaughter who has been with us since she was born ..both her parents are here in Fl and even though she lives with me full time I can't take her out of the state to live . Education sucks big time here . Ranked 49 th out of 50. But if you want to live in a million $ NJ house for 300 g's in Fl and pay less then 4 g for property tax and no state income tax then Fl is the state for you ..Christina is 12 so 6 more years and she will go away to college and I can move if I chose to ..
What kind of speaker wire did you buy and did you find a difference ? I pretty much make my own using mono price 12 gauge and GLS locking bananas ..
This hobby is addicting .. In the last 4 months I've bought 1 plasma , 4 amps , 9 speakers , two dacs + preamps and just the other day 400 ft of braided sleeve, 100 ft of red and black shrink wrap and 48 more GLS bananas with another 250 roll of wire. Waiting on my two svs. Sb13 ultra subs. And I'm thinking of converting to spade lugs ..My name is bub and I have a problem.

I am very to hear about your loss. Cancer is a horrible. 4 years ago we lost my father in law who was a chief electrical engineer for Raytheon(60 yrs) and my cousin who was an OBGYN surgeon at St, Clair's Denville (42) to cancer within 6 months. Both battled for a while. The disease just deteriorates you in a way that's hard to watch. Since their deaths we have 2 separate fundraisers that we take part in their names.

Florida is very bad for education, I agree totally. My wife is a teacher and whole family has been in education including my dad. My dad actually hired Joe Clark from Eastside HS in Paterson. Remember the movie Lean on Me? I realize your money gets a lot more there. Especially compared to the wealthy Hugh cost of living state of New Jersey. That must be nice spending all that time with your granddaughter.
I too have bought a lot in the past year. I've have changed out speaker sets like 5 times and bought too much other stuff to even list. Most recently just spent a small fortune on Interconnects and speaker cables.
All my in wall wiring and hidden speaker wire is either heavy duty gauge 12/2 Monster THX cl2 rated that a theater company was throwing out. (Best in wall cable I have.) Then I also used 12/2 GLS audio speaker wire and GLS new locking bananas. I have in walls also 12/2 monoprice cl2 wire which is my least favorite. The monoprice is cheap feeling compared to the Monster wire that I had about 150' of. I also have some pre made Sewell Silver back wire (on amazon) excellent for the money that I have used from time to time when switching components.
Most recently I had 7 cables made from Calabrine cable and they are totally awesome for the money. They are very well made, look incredible and sound even better. Paul at Calabrine will make any length you want. Check them out If you need high quality cable but don't want to pay kimber kable prices. I think he is in Ohio you have to send him an email.
Paul@calabrine.com
If you or anyone buys from him tell him I sent you and he will take extra care of you. I have bought a lot from him and he made me such great sounding cables I told him I would tell people whenever I could. They really sound amazing and look just as good.
Calabrine.com

Spades can be tricky to position especially if you don't have a lot or space and your cable is stiff. They are then hard to deal with just stick with good bananas.
Lucky you on the SVS. You are getting 2 Ultra PB13's? Or the sealed ones?
Did you ever look at JL audio subs? They just came out with new less expensive line compared to the fathom f110' f112 and f113 which are incredible subs. They are called e subs. The new e line. E110,e112 and e113. They start about $1600. They are a lot smaller than the behemoth PB13 Ultra. The SVS subs are awesome not really sure you need 2 though. That is prob overkill for one room biggrin.gif
Good luck with them. Instead of buying the SVS or a JL Audio sub I just purchased really expensive speaker cables and interconnects for my main system. It was hard decision to make but since my Martin Logan Electrostats have built in amp and they make a lot of bass to begin with. I have my 2 12" subs always turned off bc my mains make so much bass alone.
Edited by Imperatore - 10/31/13 at 8:21pm
post #57 of 185
Quote:
The SVS subs are awesome not really sure you need 2 though. That is prob overkill for one room biggrin.gif

You can never have too much woofage...To coin another fellow AVS'er here. So with 10 18's in my HT, is that considered overkill? I think it suits me nicely smile.gif
post #58 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

I'm glad this thread was created!! I would love to share experiences will fellow 7-350 owners.

Let me start by saying I started with a slight ground loop problem. I tried a ton of different things to isolate the problem and eliminate it. When I went to XLRs and the problem went away. I'm a big believer in XLRs. I had very high quality RCA prior to my XLRs.

I doubt my run would be considered long as my XLR cables are only 3 feet. smile.gif

I still get a humm with just the amp plugged in and RCA's disconnected from the processor. I think it is what impertore said, a slight power buzz. It is not obnoxious. Actually my buzzing from my Panny plasma is much worse!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

I don't think he is using a 20 amp circuit. He seems also to be running everything through a furman suppressor or conditioner. Pretty sure he is using 15 amp receptacle.

No 20 amp circuit. My Furman has a female 20 amp plug I connect my pa 7350 into and a normal 15amp plug I put into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My point was the PA 7-350 requires a 20amp plug, so I think he'll have a hard time finding a cheater plug to use with a PA 7-350 if he things that's what's causing the hum issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

No your right I understand your point. I am just assuming by what I've read that he may be using adapter of some sort. If he is using the stock male end then he will have to go to speciality electric shop or online. Sometimes using solid state amps, exciters and what not can introduce a faint buzz on speakers if you put your ear to it. I refer to it as the power buzz. I just ignore it bc unless you put ear to speaker you can't hear it. You could chase your tail for hours and still not get rid of anything. A ground loop is much more annoying and pronounced.
You are correct when you say those Cheater plugs can't be bought at HD or Lowes. True indeed. I've already been there and done that mad.gif

I think you are right. Not a ground loop issue. I just wanted to be sure when I go from 88db sensitive to 101 db sensitive the buzz doesn't increase
post #59 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oybub1952 View Post

. Sorry. I should have stated my fronts and center requirements .. Fronts are 50-500 and center is 20-200.. All three are bi-ampible .. I found a world of difference going from 135 with just the fronts being driven with the Onkyo and the 350 with the Sherbourn ..if I bi-amp all three ( 2-fronts. 1- center ) with the Sherbourn then I need the Onkyo (135) to run the surrounds ..
I'm thinking of just trying the fronts for the time being and leaving the center and surrounds alone .,hopefully get to it today and I'll report back .
But if the difference from the Onkyo to the Sherbourn is any indication of the improvement from 135 to 350 then 350 to bi-amped 700 should be intense ., I guess the question unanswered is weather bi-amping works ..??

You noticed a difference because you went with a dedicated high quality amp. You could have used a 120 watt ratted Rotel amp going from a 135 watt Onkyo and the Rotel is going to sound worlds better.
post #60 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

Wouldn't you take advantage of the 10 year warranty if you had an issue with the amp? Not a using an amp channel just in case a channel may go out in the future is certainly not a good reason for not using it. If your speakers don't have wattage needs that's a different story but its not about the watts it's about having headroom and good clean power. It produces a cleaner sound with less distortion. No matter what speaker I've ever tred bi amping always sounds better to me.
Don't believe everything you hear to be an end all statement. Since you have the channels try it out and judge for yourself. Speaker wire is cheap especially if your using monoprice type stuff. Now if your using cables like I just bought which cost a few g's a pair that's another story. It cost a couple grand to add another speaker set and a couple grand more for a pair of interconnects but 20' of 12/2 speaker wire costs under $10 bucks. I just saw a roll of inwall 12/2 awg for $38.25 for 250'. Can use out of wall just the same. In fact lays better on floor since its sheathed better. Just a thought. Don't make assumptions of what others tell you. Find out for yourself. 99.9% of hoe speakers use passive crossovers. There's a reason manufacturers put 2 pairs of binding posts on speakers. The way the speakers are wired allows for better function when fed separate power to each or at the least a separate signal.


I think you are wanting it to sound better. In my situation sending a extra 350 channel to a horn driver is just useless. Research Bi-Amping to speakers with passive cross overs... I'm not alone.

$4,000 for a pair or speaker wire and interconnects!? LOL I bet the sales guy gets a stiffy when he sees you. 4 times the price on hooking 1 speaker up as you paid for the amp to hook it to? confused.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Sherbourn PA 7-350 Amp Discussion Thread