I want to upgrade my rig little by little and I think a good sub is the right first step.
1. Budget is around $1,000 with some flexibility for something cool.
2. Size requirements/limits. Space is not an issue. I cant imagine any reasonable (to me) sub will take up more that a couple of square feet. And I'm not really interested in running anything more than 5.1
3. Room dimensions. 20'wx15'dx10'h is the defined space, but it's open to the kitchen/foyer so the HT is also used for background music at times. The HT is against the 20' wall and it's pushing sound into a space thats about 40' deep altogether.
4. Primary uses. DVD and blue ray movies; an eclectic mix of action, drama, romcom, pixar, you name it. Netfilx gets a good workout in our house as well, i.e. Breaking Bad, Sponge Bob...the usual. And music; rock, classical guitar, top 40 (not for me), occasionally jazz.
5. Listening habits. The volume stays low to medium background music for the most part. I might turn it up for some Allman Brothers or Jimi, and it would be nice to have good volume for action movies. Other than that, there won't be much strain on the system.
6. Appearance requirements. I'd prefer furniture grade cabinetry. I do have a 6 year old grandson who jumps around like a drunk kangaroo, so we can't be too precious, but good looks are important. Wood floors and kitchen cabinets are dark cherry.
7. Timeframe. I'm willing to wait for the right opportunity but I'm ready to pull the trigger today.
AVR Pioneer VSX 1020
front Polk M20
center BIC DV32
rear HTD HD R80 (ceiling speakers, ordered, not yet installed)
I didn't put much thought into the current speakers. They just kind of happened over the years, and I'll be looking to upgrade down the road. I want a sub that will transition seamlessly from the speakers I have today to the better speakers of tomorrow.
Thanks for looking and commenting.