or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › At the Premier of Ender's Game
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

At the Premier of Ender's Game - Page 2

post #31 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post


I have to decide whether to watch an Imax 3D version or normal cinema. a nice dilemma to have smile.gif

My understanding is that - while showing in many IMAX's around the country, it will not be in 3D.
post #32 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallW View Post

My understanding is that - while showing in many IMAX's around the country, it will not be in 3D.

Thats excellent. Most of these films lately like Pacfic Rim, Avengers, etc, that were presented in Imax were only in 3D.
post #33 of 98
The vfx company Digital Domain is actually listed as a co-producer, which means they have skin in the game. Don't know if anything like that has been done before. Should be some pretty awesome effects if nothing else.
post #34 of 98
I'd prefer not watching it in 3D, so I'm happy that this is not Imax 3D. Thanks, that makes the decision very easy to make.

From what I saw in the 15 min Making Of, the special effects will be awesome! As a big fan of the book, my only concern is they didn't screw with the story too much, which had a lot of depth to it. not as much depth & breadth as Dune, of course, but still a great story.
Edited by ss9001 - 10/30/13 at 7:15am
post #35 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Me neither. From what I've read on wiki, there are far worse people than him but whatever -

The guy has advocated overthrowing the American government in order to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage. Even for opponents of same-sex marriage, he's kind of an extremist.

But anyway...
Quote:
but this is a discussion about the movie anyway.

Fair enough. I believe I've mentioned this in previous threads about this, but the book had a pretty dumb subplot about a very young kid who schemed to take over all the governments of the world. I also really hated the "Speaker for the Dead" epilogue, which seemed to exist for no reason other than to set up the sequel. I hope those have been excised from the movie version.
post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I've been reading sci-fi since I was < 10 yrs old, and I'm now > 60 eek.gif
Good God, Sir....you are ancient! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The guy has advocated overthrowing the American government in order to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage. Even for opponents of same-sex marriage, he's kind of an extremist.
Among other things....

Quote:
the book had a pretty dumb subplot about a very young kid who schemed to take over all the governments of the world. I also really hated the "Speaker for the Dead" epilogue, which seemed to exist for no reason other than to set up the sequel.
Agreed.
The book spends WAY too much time with Ender and his buddies in "training."
post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The guy has advocated overthrowing the American government in order to prevent the legalization of same-sex marriage. Even for opponents of same-sex marriage, he's kind of an extremist.

But anyway...

It's just that I didn't really know him before. Now I see more what kind of person he is (having not limited my "research" to wiki wink.gif)
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Good God, Sir....you are ancient! biggrin.gif

At least he has lived long enough to see a lot of the stuff in his sci fi books become sci fact! Things like television, computers, and ball point pens. wink.gif
post #39 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

All I want to know is - is the movie as good as the book? smile.gif

I hope the movie captures at least some of the psychological aspects of the story & the character. I know that's asking a lot from Hollywood and blockbuster SF films these days rolleyes.gif

I saw the "Making Of" clip on TV and no doubt it will be a spectacle but as long as the spectacle is not all their is....

I'm hopeful...

I have to decide whether to watch an Imax 3D version or normal cinema. a nice dilemma to have smile.gif

The movie does, indeed, capture some of the psychological aspects of the story and character. I, too, was skeptical about this from Hollywood and a sci-fi blockbuster, but they actually did something more than a simple shoot-'em-up.

post #40 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallW View Post


My understanding is that - while showing in many IMAX's around the country, it will not be in 3D.


The movie is not in 3D at all; the director decided not to use 3D because the deep space battles wouldn't look good, nor would the many shots using a long lens.

post #41 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I'd prefer not watching it in 3D, so I'm happy that this is not Imax 3D. Thanks, that makes the decision very easy to make.

From what I saw in the 15 min Making Of, the special effects will be awesome! As a big fan of the book, my only concern is they didn't screw with the story too much, which had a lot of depth to it. not as much depth & breadth as Dune, of course, but still a great story.


In my view, they didn't screw with the story too much at all; in fact, I think it's a far better movie adaptation of a novel than Dune was. The only real decision to make is whether to see it in Imax or an Atmos theater. Imax was great, but I'm going to see it in Atmos as well.

post #42 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Imax was great, but I'm going to see it in Atmos as well.
Since you liked the movie enough to watch it more than once, are you going to do an Atmos vs Auro comparison again (maybe try a different Auro theatre this time)?
post #43 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

I'm very excited for this movie. Ender's game has been a favorite since I first read it back in grade school. It was entertaining then, and rereading it as an adult reveals the much deeper themes that were always present but easily overlooked as a child. (What can I say? I'm no Bean.) I reread Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow this month to refresh my memory before the movie. I'm very glad to hear your mostly positive first impressions.

Any word on whether this movie was actually shot in 1570 IMAX? I've noticed it promoted with "See it in Theaters and IMAX!" But it seems like I'm seeing that more and more these days on movies that didn't actually use the 1570 film or aspect ratio anyway. If it's real IMAX, I'll go see it in a theater with a real IMAX projector. But if it's LieMAX, I'll go see it in a RPX theater with Atmos.


It was shot on Red digital cameras with Panavision lenses. The aspect ratio is 2.35:1, and it was projected without a mask on the Imax screen, which meant black bars above and below the image. I'd definitely go to an Atmos theater if possible; I imagine the Atmos mix should sound fabulous.

 

Scott, despite your obvious enthusiasm for the movie, which comes across powerfully in your posts... poor dialogue intelligibility... washed out black levels, black bars... seems we get a better presentation in our home theatres!  I have only seen the trailer and it piqued my interest. I too read the book many years ago and will probably make this the next (of very few) ventures into our local commercial theatre when it reaches the UK soon.

post #44 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

At least he has lived long enough to see a lot of the stuff in his sci fi books become sci fact! Things like television, computers, and ball point pens. wink.gif

LOL biggrin.gif

Hey, I actually remember watching Captain Video, Tom Corbett and Flash Gordon with Ming the Merciless all on....TV!

Plus I had the privilege of being a real time ST Original Series viewer, not some of you all who came later to the party with TNG wink.gif MY age group made it possible for there to be a TNG, DS9 & ST-V wink.gif You should thank me for all the nights I spent watching syndicated reruns of Kirk & Spock instead of studying required quantum physics in college tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

sorry this post is way OT but I had to reply wink.gif
Edited by ss9001 - 10/30/13 at 1:15pm
post #45 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Another (post deletion) mine, and AVS gave me an infraction.

Not surprising, if the deleted material touched on politics or religion, which seems to have been the case. The infraction is kinda surprising, though. What probably happened is that multiple members clicked on the "Report this post to moderator" button, and thus, the post was deemed "offensive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

And one of my least favorite human beings, sadly.

If the moderation of this thread is fair, then this post and all the others that follow from it should all be deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't understand why mods would even care...
Once again, political or religious discussion is not permitted on AVS. What is interesting, is that this is not explicitly stated in the TOS, but that mandate was given here back in 2005 ("religion" is ranked at #1 and "politics" is ranked #2 in the list of "no-no's"). Perhaps an update to the TOS is in order.


And lest this post should fall into impropriety by being OT, it may be of interest to others that "Ender's Game, The IMAX Experience" will take over most IMAX screens this Friday, November 1. So if anyone wanted to check out Gravity in IMAX 3-D, your last opportunity to do so will be tomorrow, Thursday (Oct. 31).
Edited by Vlad Theimpaler - 10/30/13 at 1:18pm
post #46 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post


In my view, they didn't screw with the story too much at all; in fact, I think it's a far better movie adaptation of a novel than Dune was. The only real decision to make is whether to see it in Imax or an Atmos theater. Imax was great, but I'm going to see it in Atmos as well.

Scott, that's good to read that the story is intact.

but don't get Josh Zyber riled up about the Dune movie(s) wink.gif he's quite the Dune afficianado. He posted this pic of his Dune collection in some thread...



My Dune collection is less: P&S laserdisc, WS laserdisc, DVD set with Lynch approved and Alan Smithee versions, HD-DVD, and finally the SciFi miniseries version. I admit I never got it on VHS wink.gif

and yes, I hope Atlanta has one theater showing it with Atmos but I'm not holding my breath.
Edited by ss9001 - 10/30/13 at 1:12pm
post #47 of 98
I got infractions for saying Chris Hardwick sucked.
post #48 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Not surprising, if the deleted material touched on politics or religion, which seems to have been the case. The infraction is kinda surprising, though. What probably happened is that multiple members clicked on the "Report this post to moderator" button, and thus, the post was deemed "offensive".
If the moderation of this thread is fair, then this post and all the others that follow from it should all be deleted.
Once again, political or religious discussion is not permitted on AVS. What is interesting, is that this is not explicitly stated in the TOS, but that mandate was given here back in 2005 ("religion" is ranked at #1 and "politics" is ranked #2 in the list of "no-no's"). Perhaps an update to the TOS is in order.
Vlad, my 2 pennies....

1. "Report this post to moderator" button should be banished from AVS.....REAL MEN don't tattle to Mommie when they don't like what was said by others.
2. Politics/Religion...quoting a celebrity's political or religious POV is not a reason unto itself to delete a post or hand-out infractions/suspensions.
3. Yes, it is WAY past time to update the TOS....the tenor of this forum has changed profoundly in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Scott, that's good to read that the story is intact.

but don't get Josh Zyber riled up about the Dune movie(s) wink.gif he's quite the Dune afficianado. He posted this pic of his Dune collection in some thread....
Josh can't hold a candle to me....
He hates Frank Herbert's Dune sequels (and I luv 'em wink.gif).
post #49 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Vlad, my 2 pennies....

1. "Report this post to moderator" button should be banished from AVS.....REAL MEN don't tattle to Mommie when they don't like what was said by others.
2. Politics/Religion...quoting a celebrity's political or religious POV is not a reason unto itself to delete a post or hand-out infractions/suspensions.
3. Yes, it is WAY past time to update the TOS....the tenor of this forum has changed profoundly in recent years.
Josh can't hold a candle to me....
He hates Frank Herbert's Dune sequels (and I luv 'em wink.gif).




reporting this post to moderator
post #50 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

reporting this post to moderator
LOL, I can always count on you, Wally.wink.gif
post #51 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post


Since you liked the movie enough to watch it more than once, are you going to do an Atmos vs Auro comparison again (maybe try a different Auro theatre this time)?


I don't think I'll go that far this time...but I will seek out an Atmos presentation.

post #52 of 98
I would see this in NYC at the REAL IMAX, if only it had not been ruined and is no longer a REAL IMAX. They have stopped projecting IMAX FILM at the Lincoln Square IMAX theater and switched to DLP, which only filled 70% of the screen (or less). Yes, it's actually WINDOWBOXED! I'd estimate the image is ten feet+ short of reach the left and right edges when I saw GRAVITY.

To say that I was disgusted would be a grand understatement. That huge screen is now useless.

This is exactly the kind of film I'd love to see on that screen, but it ain't gonna happen now. So sad. mad.gif
post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I would see this in NYC at the REAL IMAX, if only it had not been ruined and is no longer a REAL IMAX. They have stopped projecting IMAX FILM at the Lincoln Square IMAX theater and switched to DLP, which only filled 70% of the screen (or less). Yes, it's actually WINDOWBOXED! I'd estimate the image is ten feet+ short of reach the left and right edges when I saw GRAVITY.

To say that I was disgusted would be a grand understatement. That huge screen is now useless.

This is exactly the kind of film I'd love to see on that screen, but it ain't gonna happen now. So sad. mad.gif
In case you missed it earlier in the thread, Scott clarified that Ender's Game wasn't actually shot in 1570 format. So even if your local theater hadn't crapified itself, you'd be seeing this one with digital projection.

I haven't figured out why the movie's being marketed with "See it in IMAX!" when it wasn't shot on 1570 film. Marketing BS I guess.
post #54 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

In case you missed it earlier in the thread, Scott clarified that Ender's Game wasn't actually shot in 1570 format. So even if your local theater hadn't crapified itself, you'd be seeing this one with digital projection.
That's not actually true. The real true IMAX screens would project the films on film. They did not use digital projection at all. But slowly IMAX has been replacing those projectors with digital models. The issue here is that this particular screen is so big that the DLP's are not capable of using the entire screen.

I've witnessed over a dozen films on that IMAX screen that were not shot with IMAX 1570 cameras. They were just scanned and printed to 1570 film (with black bars top & bottom).

The reason behind dumping film is money. It was too expensive. Or so they claim.
post #55 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I believe I've mentioned this in previous threads about this, but the book had a pretty dumb subplot about a very young kid who schemed to take over all the governments of the world. I also really hated the "Speaker for the Dead" epilogue, which seemed to exist for no reason other than to set up the sequel. I hope those have been excised from the movie version.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the subplot about Ender's brother planning to take over the world's governments (which I found very interesting, BTW) is not in the movie at all, while the ending of the book is maintained in the movie. You're right, it does set up a sequel—for very good reason, in my view; it's the solution to Ender's ethical dilemma. In fact, the ending of the book sets up a whole series of sequels, while the subplot you mention sets up a different, parallel series of sequels, so if this movie is successful, there's a lot more material on which to base future installments.

post #56 of 98
A film does not have to be shot in 15/70 to be shown in 15/70. In fact, no Hollywood film has ever been shot in 15/70 only a few selected scenes. The IMAX DMR process originated as a means to convert 35mm to 15/70 for projection. In more recent years they also convert digitally sourced releases to 15/70.

15/70 has been dying out in general. It proved too expensive - 3-3M to convert plus 30-40 thousand per theater per print. Very few films will stay in theaters long enough to recoup the costs of releasing the films.

For smaller multiplex screens IMAX (and the theaters) have gone Digital only,

For larger screens (Lincoln Center, Navy Pier, TCL Graumann's, Melbourne, Sydney...) they have gone "hybrid". They have BOTH the IMAX 15/70 and Digital projectors in the booth and will show 15/70 releases in 15/70 and Digital releases in Digital.

That said the number of 15/70 is decreasing anyway (only one is planned so far in all of 2014).

Enders will be released in Digital only. That is the only way it can be seen on the ex-15/70 or even Hybrid Digital-15/70 locations.

The upcoming Hunger Games will be released in both 15/70 and Digital as will Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Just to make things even more complex, EVEN when a 15/70 release is available some theaters are declining and going with the Digital release. Lincoln 13 in New York plans to screen Hunger Games and Hobbit in 15/70. Navy pier will be screening them in Digital even though they have 15/70 capability.

You have to check and check carefully with your theater as they are not openly advertising the distinctions.
post #57 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Image_in_that View Post


You have to check and check carefully with your theater as they are not openly advertising the distinctions.

Easier said than done. I've found that modern movie theaters guard the unpublished telephone numbers that actually ring in the theater so zealously that even the NSA couldn't find them. Kind of like the engineering departments of cable companies.
post #58 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Image_in_that View Post

A film does not have to be shot in 15/70 to be shown in 15/70. In fact, no Hollywood film has ever been shot in 15/70 only a few selected scenes. The IMAX DMR process originated as a means to convert 35mm to 15/70 for projection. In more recent years they also convert digitally sourced releases to 15/70.

15/70 has been dying out in general. It proved too expensive - 3-3M to convert plus 30-40 thousand per theater per print. Very few films will stay in theaters long enough to recoup the costs of releasing the films.

For smaller multiplex screens IMAX (and the theaters) have gone Digital only,

For larger screens (Lincoln Center, Navy Pier, TCL Graumann's, Melbourne, Sydney...) they have gone "hybrid". They have BOTH the IMAX 15/70 and Digital projectors in the booth and will show 15/70 releases in 15/70 and Digital releases in Digital.

That said the number of 15/70 is decreasing anyway (only one is planned so far in all of 2014).

Enders will be released in Digital only. That is the only way it can be seen on the ex-15/70 or even Hybrid Digital-15/70 locations.

The upcoming Hunger Games will be released in both 15/70 and Digital as will Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Just to make things even more complex, EVEN when a 15/70 release is available some theaters are declining and going with the Digital release. Lincoln 13 in New York plans to screen Hunger Games and Hobbit in 15/70. Navy pier will be screening them in Digital even though they have 15/70 capability.

You have to check and check carefully with your theater as they are not openly advertising the distinctions.

The staff at Lincoln Square had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I asked them what had happened. They were just sheep. The manager was no different. She looked at me like I had two heads.
post #59 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

She looked at me like I had two heads.
Matt...we have news for you....
post #60 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Image_in_that View Post

For larger screens (Lincoln Center, Navy Pier, TCL Graumann's, Melbourne, Sydney...) they have gone "hybrid". They have BOTH the IMAX 15/70 and Digital projectors in the booth and will show 15/70 releases in 15/70 and Digital releases in Digital.
 

I've been in the TCL Chinese projection room, and there wasn't a film projector anywhere, only two digital Imax projectors and two Christie 4K digital projectors. Perhaps the 15/70 projector was in storage to be brought out for special occasions, but it was nowhere to be seen when I was there last week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › At the Premier of Ender's Game