Well it's time. My AVR 247 that I have always loved and used so much has died on me. The problem is, there is no video output at all. I can not get the OSD (for the AVR settings) to come up on my TV at all. I know the TV is ok because I have tested my components (such as the DVD player) and they work great together. The audio and everything else works great, I just can't seem to get video to display out the HDMI or composite monitor out ports. I have opened it up looking for bad caps or something that would look damaged but found nothing out of place. I think this MIGHT have been caused by lightning but the more I read online, this just happens to people sometimes with this receiver. It's currently perfect for what I do with my media room and I want to look at my options.
- I could repair my AVR 247 myself:
If someone might know what is wrong with it (maybe a logic board) and could tell me or direct me to a thread showing/telling me how to fix the issue that would be GREAT!!!
- I could pay someone to repair it for me:
If I was looking for a local repair shop what would I look for? What would be a good price for me to get it repaired? What kind of time frame should I expect? Any extra info here would be great too!
- I could look at getting it replaced:
Buying a new receiver is something I would hope to avoid but it might be the best thing for me to do. If this is the route I need to go then I would be looking for a receiver that does everything my AVR 247 does. Well not everything, I don't really use the multi zones (though a nice feature) or all the speaker leads. Also it's important to note I would not use any EXTRA capabilities of a new receiver more than likely. For example, if the new receiver had networking capabilities they would not get used. I have my entire media experience running through a computer. I just need a good receiver to switch all my components (no matter what source they might be) to an output of HDMI 720p/1080i and that has great sound. As of today, the main things I would require in my new AVR would be the following...
- HDMI Upscaling/Upconverting
- 5.1 Speaker configuration. (2 front speakers, 2 surround speakers, a center speaker, and a subwoofer)
- Output to a 720p/1080i display. (If It has 4K capabilities I would not cry, just use it on a new TV when I get one)
- At least 50 Watts+ per speaker channel
- AM/FM Tuner
- HDMI output (monitor)
- Component output (monitor)
- Composite output (monitor)
- HDMI inputs (at least 3)
- Component inputs (at least 2)
- Composite inputs (at least 2)
- Optical inputs (at least 2)
- Just like my AVR 247 I would like these inputs to be dynamic. I can make almost any combo of audio and video inputs work for a source. For example, I can use a HDMI source for video and an analog audio source like composite
So what do you think I should do? Thanks so much for any help upfront! These forums are packed with great info and good reading! This forum looks to have a great community of people on it!!!