or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › PANASONIC: OUR FUTURE IS 4K AND OLED TECHNOLOGY
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PANASONIC: OUR FUTURE IS 4K AND OLED TECHNOLOGY - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Quote:
Still a long way from the $9000 OLED.

The LG OLED costs you $7500 ...

Rogo you are so wrong with some of your "facts", but I´m not a native english speaker. Can we speak in German ;-)
Mass production means not! mainstream. A Porsche 911 is mass produced, but not mainstream...

LG has a 8G pilot line. Their second 8G plant is planned for production in 2H 2014. Der EA9800 and EA8800 are from their 8G pilot line. Samsung´s pilot line is also 8G, but currently they can only cut with their LTPS process 6G motherglasses.
LG hints a 47" (and 75") OLED-TV for Europe. They told it everytime officially that they will launch other inch (bigger and smaller one) sizes after the 55" flat und curved OLED-TV´s. UHD OLED is coming too. Wait for CES 2014...
Quote:
"OLED substrate" doesn't even make much sense.

In German it´s the same word like "materials".

And please stop to thinking the USA is the only country in the world. There a many other important markets for the manufactures with other prices and purchasing behaviours. For example for LG, Germany with a much higher population rate is the second important market after the US and in Europe we have to pay much more for electronics than in US.
Edited by ALMA - 11/6/13 at 1:22am
post #32 of 46

There's Mexico.  And I think a "canada" someplace, though I need confirmation on that.  There are other countries?

post #33 of 46
Philips sold its audio and video business, is out of the game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.
post #34 of 46
I'm hoping they are focusing their efforts on making affordable 70-90" 4K OLED TVs with great picture motion smile.gif
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Philips sold its audio and video business, is out of the game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.

That's where they should have stayed all along. smile.gif
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Philips sold its audio and video business, is out of the game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.

 

They were the first plasma TV ads I ever saw.  Their $13,000 device on the wall wowed everyone in that "gotta admit things are getting better" commercial.

post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

That's where they should have stayed all along. smile.gif
I don't agree with less competition being desirable.
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post

The LG OLED costs you $7500 ...

I'm pretty sure it's still $9000. But either way...
Quote:
Rogo you are so wrong with some of your "facts", but I´m not a native english speaker. Can we speak in German ;-)

I'm sure you can speak in German fantastically well. Alas, I cannot.
Quote:
Mass production means not! mainstream. A Porsche 911 is mass produced, but not mainstream...

That's true up to a point. TV manufacturing, however, cannot be done on a Porsche 911 model. The very reason Panasonic is shutting down plasma production is that making TV panels requires volumes of the TV equivalent of the BMW 3-series at a bare minimum to be doable.
Quote:
LG has a 8G pilot line. Their second 8G plant is planned for production in 2H 2014.

We've heard this a lot. We've seen little evidence to support it.
Quote:
Der EA9800 and EA8800 are from their 8G pilot line. Samsung´s pilot line is also 8G, but currently they can only cut with their LTPS process 6G motherglasses.

OK, but pilots != real production either.
Quote:
LG hints a 47" (and 75") OLED-TV for Europe. They told it everytime officially that they will launch other inch (bigger and smaller one) sizes after the 55" flat und curved OLED-TV´s. UHD OLED is coming too. Wait for CES 2014...
In German it´s the same word like "materials".

I want der 75". For $4000. Let me know when I can have it,
Quote:
And please stop to thinking the USA is the only country in the world. There a many other important markets for the manufactures with other prices and purchasing behaviours. For example for LG, Germany with a much higher population rate is the second important market after the US and in Europe we have to pay much more for electronics than in US.

I don't think the US is in the only country in the world, I'm just far more knowledgeable about it than I am about Germany. When I write about Tesla, for example, I report on the company's plans for Germany. I report on what I can observe personally in the U.S.
post #39 of 46
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's still $9000. But either way...

The street price seems much lower than this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493578/lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owners-thread#post_23905291
Quote:
The very reason Panasonic is shutting down plasma production is that making TV panels requires volumes of the TV equivalent of the BMW 3-series at a bare minimum to be doable.

BMW 3-series is premium in Germany. With little more than standard equipment it cost you as an BMW 320d Touring here in Germany so +45000€. You talking about Skoda or FIAT prices, if you want a 75" OLED-TV for $4000. wink.gif
post #40 of 46
A $4,000 TV is, in fact, equivalent in car terms to an M5 or 7-series.

The 3-series BMW, I selected, because worldwide it's something like .25-.50% of all cars made... Realistically, that's actually too small to sustain a TV production line, but it's a start...
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1383312908

"Panasonic will now focus entirely on Ultra HD and OLED technology. All resources will be moved to research, development and production in these fields, following the plasma exit. Panasonic’s goal is still to create the leading TV products in the industry, and “combine stunning design with user-friendly Smart TV function and sharp picture quality.

- "We will continue to focus on expanding sales and offer a strong line-up of new TV models, based on the experience we have in flat panel TVs. Going forward, we will use all our resources to maintain the leading position in 4K Ultra HD technology," says Calina Gavril, Business Manager at Panasonic Nordic to FlatpanelsHD."


I'm glad to hear they are not exiting the TV business. I was afraid their exit from Plasma meant they were getting out of the TV business. Panasonic and Sony make my favorite TVs.

post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Philips sold its audio and video business, is out of the game.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9836235/Philips-exits-consumer-electronics-market.html

smile.gif In future, the Philips consumer division will focus on appliances such as shavers, toasters, juicers and coffee makers.

Good. the fewer players in the industry the better*. Then maybe we can get down to the good tv makers like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG. Those 4 split the market and we should be good. Hopefully then Sony's TV business will recover.

*(to a reasonable point. Competition is good for the market and keeps each player on their toes and advancing the tech. But too many players saturates the market and takes sales away from manufacturers that deserve it more because they are the ones who advance the tech. Just my opinion)
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by willkm79 View Post


I'm glad to hear they are not exiting the TV business. I was afraid their exit from Plasma meant they were getting out of the TV business. Panasonic and Sony make my favorite TVs.

This.

I want a Sony tv, but they are terribly expensive. However I am now getting to the point where I can afford one without inflicting undue hardship on my finances. However, if Panasonic could make a Full array LED, or release a viable and affordable OLED display that compete well with Sony's flagship models, I would definitely consider getting one.
post #44 of 46
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

4K was the killer

 

Nice catch irkuck!  By the way, here's the report that is referenced within the report above.  It's far more detailed and pretty interesting.

 

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

 

As an aside, if they're trying to imply that they would have held onto plasma had 4K been easy to do.....they're lying.  The slash-n-burn president of theirs would have hacked off that gangrenous appendage anyway.

post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Nice catch irkuck!  By the way, here's the report that is referenced within the report above.  It's far more detailed and pretty interesting.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/4k-plasma-201311133417.htm

As an aside, if they're trying to imply that they would have held onto plasma had 4K been easy to do.....they're lying.  The slash-n-burn president of theirs would have hacked off that gangrenous appendage anyway.

And he doesn't know much about picture quality - a few years ago he compared a Panasonic Plasma and a competitor's LCD TV in his own home and stated that he could see no discernible difference between them. Pretty sad and dare i say ignorant comments coming from the president of a company that once prided itself on having good picture quality.

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319759

I betcha Panasonic never ends up making a commitment to OLED, they made some of the best TVs and some of the lowest prices but are horrible at marketing and couldn't sell enough of them to make a profit, so i can't see them selling TVs that are only slightly better but costing 4 times more.


__________________________
Edited by RandyWalters - 11/17/13 at 1:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › PANASONIC: OUR FUTURE IS 4K AND OLED TECHNOLOGY