or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide - Page 8

post #211 of 1907
Got my MRX-710 2 days ago and started installing it yesterday. But it feels like both the amplifer and ARC computer software is full of bugs and that there a lot of stuff that needs to be fixed before this is a solid product.

First impression of the build quality is ok. Those speaker terminal is just to flimsy and it feels like they are gonna break. I use Purist audio Venustas speaker cables, the terminal gets bended. The terminals are way to tight between them, need more space.
It had been ok for a $400 machine. But whens it´s costs $2500 it´s not ok! Coming from a Primare SPA22 amplifer myself and those one´s rocked.
The chassie cover could have less grainy a be a lot blacker. It would fit the front plate a lot more. Chassie cover could have been a lot sturdier to, very "clunky" now. makes it feel cheep.

Computer software is a mess, looks like it measures wrong, get some crazy graphs when I start measuring 5.1 5 point when it comes to the subwoofer , when its complete it looks nothing to what it was when it was measured in the real time dialog. Comparing the quick measure to 5 point one it dosent look the same on the subwoofer. it´s like it´s showing it completley wrong.
In a diffrent occasion I was measuring, the right surround was 60db lower then the rest of the speakers. Only solution is to restart the program.


When you finally have uploaded a measurement you need to restart the amplifer for the ARC to work, feels like you have to do that for every little thing you change. Cant hear any diffrence if you use ARC on/off on the amplifer. It needs to be restarted.

When you do really have a succesfull measurement and uploaded the data on config 2, it writes over both config 1 and 2. Then we get to the thing to reopen saved mesurements.
Once you have saved a measurement it´s impossible to reopen. Error. See pic.




I think Anthem have to work some overtime to get this one right! Becasue now it´s a mess. At least for me.

Both computer software and amplifer software was on the newest editions.

edit: spelling
Edited by IcedEarth - 11/22/13 at 4:25am

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #212 of 1907
^ On your file error, I believe you need to update to the latest version of the ARC Windows app now posted on Anthem's web site. (I'm not having any problem re-opening saved ARC solution files.)

On the Subwoofer discrepancy between Quick Measure and the 5 mic position normal Measurement, the chart resulting from the 5 position normal Measurement is an unweighted average of what ARC heard from the 5 mic positions. It is NORMAL for bass frequency results to vary quite a bit with listening location -- e.g., mic position. That's exactly what ARC is looking for.

You can select to view the Measured data from each mic position in the charts. Or, when using Quick Measure, just move the mic to the different positions and mentally average the results as you see the variation.

Even though ARC shows the single, averaged curve for Measured on any speaker, all the data from the 5 mic positions really is being used as it calculates the solution.

As you discovered, doing an ARC Upload loads both solution configurations into the MRX even if you've only changed one. This is no big deal as you are simply overwriting the other solution with itself.
--Bob
post #213 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ On your file error, I believe you need to update to the latest version of the ARC Windows app now posted on Anthem's web site. (I'm not having any problem re-opening saved ARC solution files.)

On the Subwoofer discrepancy between Quick Measure and the 5 mic position normal Measurement, the chart resulting from the 5 position normal Measurement is an unweighted average of what ARC heard from the 5 mic positions. It is NORMAL for bass frequency results to vary quite a bit with listening location -- e.g., mic position. That's exactly what ARC is looking for.

You can select to view the Measured data from each mic position in the charts. Or, when using Quick Measure, just move the mic to the different positions and mentally average the results as you see the variation.

Even though ARC shows the single, averaged curve for Measured on any speaker, all the data from the 5 mic positions really is being used as it calculates the solution.

As you discovered, doing an ARC Upload loads both solution configurations into the MRX even if you've only changed one. This is no big deal as you are simply overwriting the other solution with itself.
--Bob

Sir, both the reciver and the computer has the newest software, that was the first thing I did when I got it. My friend has the same problem with the same revision as I currently have. The newst one there is. smile.gif

The problem is, it dosent look normal, becuase when I measure with quick measure it looks what it suposed to look, when I use 5 mic position the curve is under 50db in 30hz and is a dip on ALL 5 measurements. Looks like a graph error. When its complete it looks more like the quick measure graph does.

I get what the ARC does but this is not what it comes to, must be something wrong with the drawing of the graph.

If you want to have a separate Music and Theater confguration with separate filter for both. How do I do then? First mesuare on config 2, calculate then upload and then I measure on config 1 and upload?

Had a friend by who helped me yesterday and he´s got the D2v 3D but he measure diffrentley with the 5 mic positions. Does it have any impact on the end result?

//Rickard
post #214 of 1907
^ OK, I don't know what's up with your file opening problem then. Best give Anthem Tech Support a call.

When you do a Measurement pass you get to decide whether you want to Measure twice around -- once for each configuration -- or use one set of Measurements for BOTH configurations and then make them different AFTER Mesurement by adjusting their Targets and re-Calculating. For example, you can do once around (5 mic positions) for a 5.1 speaker system, and then, AFTER Measurement, change the 2nd configuration to, say, exclude the Center speaker from the solution. Of you you can set different Cutoff or Room Gain values for the two solutions. Or handle the Subwoofer differently for each.

Then you re-Calculate and ARC builds the two solutions according to the one Measurement pass but two different sets of settings. If you do TWO times around for Measurement, you can also adjust the Target settings separately for each.

The decision to use TWO times around typically is based on something being different in the room for the two configurations -- e.g., different seating you want to focus on for each, or things like projection screen down for one and up for the other. If nothing's changing in the room then once around (with perhaps two different sets of Targets adjustments) is sufficient.

ARC works in 3 steps: Measurement, Calculation and Upload. After Measurement you can modify the Targets any number of times you like and see what you get with a Calculation based on those new Target settings. When you like what you see, you Upload the result.

Each Calculation and each Upload is for BOTH configurations, even if you only made changes for one of them.

You can go back into the file and make more Target adjustments and if you like the new Calculated results better, then you Upload that and it overwrites what you previously Uploaded -- for both solution configurations.

This will become a lot clearer, I think, once you get an answer from Anthem as to why you can't open that Results file!
--Bob
post #215 of 1907
ARC 2 question.

On gen 1, the best practice was to set the sub cutoff to 120hz to take care of the LFE up to 120 hz.
And gen 1 MRX shows the actual sub crossover. For example, I could set my sub cutoff at 120 on the ARC page and my MRX 700 showed my sub crossover 60hz the same as my mains.
On ARC 2, I can adjust my sub cutoff to 120hz but my 710 does not show the actual sub crossover. All it says is "Subwoofer HPF 120 hz" regardless of ARC 2 measurements.

Now my question is, what if I have my sub cutoff at 120hz and mains at 40hz. Does that mean that my actual sub crossover is also 40 hz?
And what if I change my mains from 40 hz to 60 hz. Will that also change my sub crossover to 60 hz in the background?

It is a little confusing by not seeing the actual sub crossover like gen 1 MRX.

Thanks in advance.
Edited by usxplong - 11/22/13 at 10:48am
post #216 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

ARC 2 question.

On gen 1, the best practice was to set the sub cutoff to 120hz to take care of the LFE up to 120 hz.
And gen 1 MRX shows the actual sub crossover. For example, I could set my sub cutoff at 120 on the ARC page and my MRX 700 showed my sub crossover 60hz the same as my mains.
On ARC 2, I can adjust my sub cutoff to 120hz but my 710 does not show the actual sub crossover. All it says is "Subwoofer HPF 120 hz" regardless of ARC 2 measurements.

Now my question is, what if I have my sub cutoff at 120hz and mains at 40hz. Does that mean that my actual sub crossover is also 40 hz?
And what if I change my mains from 40 hz to 60 hz. Will that also change my sub crossover to 60 hz in the background?

It is a little confusing by not seeing the actual sub crossover like gen 1 MRX.

Thanks in advance.

My sub was set at 60 Hz as well. If you printed your ARC-1M report it should show up on the very last page. It only shows the LPF setting in the menu.


Edited by MitchPope - 11/22/13 at 11:01am
post #217 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post

My sub was set at 60 Hz as well. If you printed your ARC-1M report it should show up on the very last page. It only shows the LPF setting in the menu.


So it means the sub cutoff is actually the sub crossover unlike the Gen 1 ARC. Sub cutoff could be 120 hz and the actual crossover was the same as the mains.
This way, what if ARC 2 assigns 80 hz for sub cutoff. The graph will not take care of the LFE up to 120 hz. there will be a big drop on the sub curve.
Which means regardless of what ARC 2 is setting the sub's cutoff we should change it to 120 hz or close enough to get a smooth curve and take care of the LFE.
This does not make sense. There should be something else in it or Anthem blew it.
post #218 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

So it means the sub cutoff is actually the sub crossover unlike the Gen 1 ARC. Sub cutoff could be 120 hz and the actual crossover was the same as the mains.
This way, what if ARC 2 assigns 80 hz for sub cutoff. The graph will not take care of the LFE up to 120 hz. there will be a big drop on the sub curve.
Which means regardless of what ARC 2 is setting the sub's cutoff we should change it to 120 hz or close enough to get a smooth curve and take care of the LFE.
This does not make sense. There should be something else in it or Anthem blew it.

Not an MRX-10 owner...but, I find this interesting and confusing. According to Mitchpope's
Graph he is losing a lot of LFE content below 120hz ????
Edited by grasshoppers - 11/22/13 at 11:39am
post #219 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

Not an MRX-10 owner...but, I find this interesting and confusing. According to Mitchpope's
Graph he is losing a lot of LFE content below 120hz according to his graph????
Compare it to the graph from my 300. Nothing was changed on the sub, but it looks much different on the low end.
post #220 of 1907
On your MRX 300 targets window was your sub's HPF
Set at 120hz or did you manually adjust up??
post #221 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post

Compare it to the graph from my 300. Nothing was changed on the sub, but it looks much different on the low end.

On your 300 the target window was for HPF not the actual sub crossover. If you still have your 300, check the actual sub crossover. It should be different than what is on the target window.
post #222 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

On your 300 the target window was for HPF not the actual sub crossover. If you still have your 300, check the actual sub crossover. It should be different than what is on the target window.

That was the target I had from the 300. It initially started crossing over at 80 Hz, but I was able to get it to 120 Hz after moving things around. I think I uploaded the wrong graph before, this was my latest:


On going back and looking at the 510 graph, I notice it starts at 15 Hz, whereas the 300 graph starts at 20 Hz. So I may be seeing a problem that really isn't there.
Edited by MitchPope - 11/22/13 at 12:39pm
post #223 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post


That was the target I had from the 300. It initially started crossing over at 80 Hz, but I was able to get it to 120 Hz after moving things around. I think I uploaded the wrong graph before, this was my latest:


On going back and looking at the 510 graph, I notice it starts at 15 Hz, whereas the 300 graph starts at 20 Hz. So I may be seeing a problem that really isn't there.

On your target window the sub cutoff is 120 but if you look at your receiver menu, it should have the sub crossover the same as your mains at 60 (not 120).
Yes, ARC 2 shows 5 hz more than the old ARC which is good. It will be perfect if ARC show down to 5 hz. I don't know why Anthem doesn't do that.
post #224 of 1907
Hi,

What's the lowest frequency that you can set for advanced target on subwoofer?

Will it boost frequency response of subwoofer below the F3 rolloff? For example, if my sub rolls off F3 at 30Hz and I set the advanced target to flat 20Hz; will ARC boost from 20hz to 30hz to maintain flat frequency response?

The reason I'm asking is I have sealed subwoofer like many that has a high excursion driver and amplification. Looking to forego the need for a shelving filter on mini-dsp or LT to get it flat.

Thanks
post #225 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlnmp View Post

Hi,

What's the lowest frequency that you can set for advanced target on subwoofer?

Will it boost frequency response of subwoofer below the F3 rolloff? For example, if my sub rolls off F3 at 30Hz and I set the advanced target to flat 20Hz; will ARC boost from 20hz to 30hz to maintain flat frequency response?

The reason I'm asking is I have sealed subwoofer like many that has a high excursion driver and amplification. Looking to forego the need for a shelving filter on mini-dsp or LT to get it flat.

Thanks

Normally ARC2 rolls off the lowest frequencies going to any Sub. This is to protect subs that don't have their own protection against bottoming out if sent frequencies below what they can reproduce. ARC2 attempts to detect the natural roll off of the Sub below 30Hz, and if it sees that, then that's what it goes with. If ARC2 does NOT see a roll off, it still imposes a default roll off for protection of the sub as just stated.

You can control the "degree" or steepness of that rolloff in the Target settings for the Sub.

NOW, if you KNOW your sub has its own, built in protection, then you can turn off ARC2's imposition of that roll off. And that's what the Flat setting is for. ARC2 builds a target that leaves the low frequency end of the chart "flat" instead of matching (or imposing) the sub's roll off.

That's just the Target. In Calculating the SOLUTION, ARC2 will never add more than +6dB of boost to get the Measured signal up to the Target. So if you set Flat, but your Sub's Measured curve has a steep, inherent roll off. ARC2 will only add up to +6dB boost to try to get the sub closer to that Flat Target.

Be aware that sending a boosted signal to a Sub that can't handle it could be bad for the Sub. You could bottom out the cone or overheat its internal amp. Again, this is why ARC2 includes a roll off down there by default.

SO, if you see that the raw Measured curve of the Sub has good output down at the lowest frequencies, and you know your sub has its own built in protection against frequencies that are too low, THEN THAT'S when you have a sub that's a good candidate for use with a Flat Target down there.
--Bob
post #226 of 1907
For you folks who are comparing original ARC charts vs ARC2 charts for the Sub, note that ARC2 extends the chart down to 15Hz. So you are seeing a portion of the Measured data that you were not able to see in charts from the Original ARC.
--Bob
post #227 of 1907
I got ip control app command fusion working with my MRX 510. So far, just a simple remote with just critical functionality. Command fusion is free for two pages on android or iPhone. Attached is my backup project for others if you want to try it just change the system ip address to your receivers ip address and it will work.




Archive Command Fusion Project:

CF_Remote_Anthem_MRX.gui.zip 237k .zip file
Edited by Gorgewinds - 11/24/13 at 12:21am
post #228 of 1907
It's official ,the anthem mrx310 is a step below the mrx300..... Those wanting the best bang for the buck should get the mrx300.. I had the mrx310 and mrx300 this weekend and hands down the mrx300 feels more powerful and has 7.1 output .. Return your 310 and buy the 300 while saving 500 dollars If bought used. Don't waste money
post #229 of 1907

What "Red Devil 24" said is true with a great deal of network equipment, but not all, and the Anthem receivers seem to be one of the exceptions. If you look on page 24 of the user manual under section 3.8 Network Type in the menu settings. If you are going to direct connect the MRX reciever directly to a computer and not use  a Ethernet router in between, you need to change this option to "Direct Connection". You will need to set other options as well. I hope this helps you out with your problem.

post #230 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warren View Post

What "Red Devil 24" said is true with a great deal of network equipment, but not all, and the Anthem receivers seem to be one of the exceptions. If you look on page 24 of the user manual under section 3.8 Network Type in the menu settings. If you are going to direct connect the MRX reciever directly to a computer and not use  a Ethernet router in between, you need to change this option to "Direct Connection". You will need to set other options as well. I hope this helps you out with your problem.
My bad, I didn't realize that. It's really rare now a days
post #231 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

It's official ,the anthem mrx310 is a step below the mrx300..... Those wanting the best bang for the buck should get the mrx300.. I had the mrx310 and mrx300 this weekend and hands down the mrx300 feels more powerful and has 7.1 output .. Return your 310 and buy the 300 while saving 500 dollars If bought used. Don't waste money

Really? Where did you get your hands on a production release MRX 310? I didn't think that model was shipping yet. Or were you using some sort of pre-release unit?
--Bob
post #232 of 1907

Hi All,

 

Will i notice a difference if i upgrade my 500 to a 510?

I experience hardware issues for the second time now with my 500 and i have to chance to buy a 510.

The 510 will cost me some extra money, but it looks like it is a step forward.Especially now i have read something about the hardware which should be different. (i have lost some of my confidence in the 500 because of the issues within 1 year)

 

Hope anyone can advise me.

 

Alex

post #233 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil 24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Warren View Post

What "Red Devil 24" said is true with a great deal of network equipment, but not all, and the Anthem receivers seem to be one of the exceptions. If you look on page 24 of the user manual under section 3.8 Network Type in the menu settings. If you are going to direct connect the MRX reciever directly to a computer and not use  a Ethernet router in between, you need to change this option to "Direct Connection". You will need to set other options as well. I hope this helps you out with your problem.
My bad, I didn't realize that. It's really rare now a days

I'm pretty sure the Direct Connect setting in the MRX has nothing to do with choosing which flavor of Ethernet cable is in use. The Ethernet socket should auto-adapt to that whichever you use, regardless of whether Direct or Wired LAN is selected.

Rather, setting Direct Connect configures the MRX to network without requiring a Router to be in the network path. I.e., ARC will talk to the MRX using a fixed IP Address (192.168.1.3), the MRX will expect the computer itself to be using another fixed IP address (192.168.1.2), and the MRX will act as its own Gateway (at 192.168.1.1), thus letting the computer talk to it directly.

In the MRX you need to select Direct Connect and also set a Manual IP address of 192.168.1.3. You also need to confirm that IP Control is ENABLED.

In the computer you need to (temporarily) set a manual IP address of 192.168.1.2 and also set a Gateway value of 192.168.1.1

See Section 3.8 of the Manual.

Obviously if you already have a house network set up (i.e., with a Router), it is easier to just use the Wired LAN configuration in the MRX and let things auto configure in the computer and in the MRX.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 11/25/13 at 2:20am
post #234 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1975 View Post
 

Hi All,

 

Will i notice a difference if i upgrade my 500 to a 510?

I experience hardware issues for the second time now with my 500 and i have to chance to buy a 510.

The 510 will cost me some extra money, but it looks like it is a step forward.Especially now i have read something about the hardware which should be different. (i have lost some of my confidence in the 500 because of the issues within 1 year)

 

Hope anyone can advise me.

 

Alex

regarding my earlier question, i especially mean a difference in sound.

post #235 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMAN1991 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Are you using the new version v1.0.1 of the ARC2 application that just showed up yesterday on Anthem's public downloads page? If not, I suggest you install that one and try again.
--Bob

I am actually.

I also have the connection hardwired from the Ethernet port on the MRX to the ethernet port on my laptop. The microphone is connected via USB to the computer.

Any thoughts lol?

I've attached a document from Anthem on setting up Direct Connect ethernet for Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Note that in addition to selecting Direct Connect in the MRX (instead of Wired LAN), you also need to set the MRX to use a Manual IP address of 192.168.1.3.

And you need to make sure the MRX has IP Control ENABLED. This should be the default setting, but check it anyway.

Meanwhile in your computer, you need to temporarily set it to use a manual IP address of 192.168.1.2, and to use a Gateway setting of 192.168.1.1

You can use the PING command via the Terminal Command Prompt utility to check that the computer can find the MRX -- i.e, that it can now PING 192.168.1.3

DirectConnectSetup.pdf 651k .pdf file

Technical Note: ARC2 uses a special broadcast protocol on the network connection (UDP) to find the MRX. This can work even if the MRX is not properly set up to use Direct Connect. This likely explains why ARC2 could "find" the MRX, but still not control it to begin the Measurements.
--Bob
Edited by Bob Pariseau - 11/25/13 at 2:34am
post #236 of 1907
Question about audio return.
I set the cec on on my mrx and my tv is also configured to send audio to my mrx because when I raise the volume on tv, volume on the receiver also gets changed but there is no sound from mrx. I also turned the eco mode on and off but got no sound. I also changed my audio input on the input menue to audio return 1 and 2 mode without sound.
My mrx is connected thru hdmi 1 to tv.
post #237 of 1907
^ CEC and Audio Return are two different things. Your TV may not support Audio Return, or may support it only on a specific HDMI Input.

In addition you likely have to enable Audio Return in the TV so it knows to output the audio that way instead of using its own internal speakers or the external speaker jacks on the TV.
--Bob
post #238 of 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ CEC and Audio Return are two different things. Your TV may not support Audio Return, or may support it only on a specific HDMI Input.

In addition you likely have to enable Audio Return in the TV so it knows to output the audio that way instead of using its own internal speakers or the external speaker jacks on the TV.

Thanks Bob,
My TV is configured to send audio. It specifically detects Anthem MRX 710 and shows it's name on the screen and says it sends audio but still no audio from MRX.
post #239 of 1907
By the way, the manual says CEC should be on in order to use audio return.
post #240 of 1907

Hi all,

 

Just ordered the MRX510. Forummember tbjesse answered my pm which i really appreciate!

When i have it, i will of course try to give my impression.

 

By the way i have Monitor Audio bronze speakers (BR5 fronts, BR1 surrounds, BRLCR center) and a SVS SB10 subwoofer.

Not sure whether i get the most out of my receiver with those speakers. Some say it's ok, others think I have a relative expensive receiver with relative inexpensive speakers.

 

Alex

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem MRX Receivers - 310, 510, 710 Owners Thread & Tweaking Guide