or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Sigh. I Miss Monday Night Football
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sigh. I Miss Monday Night Football

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
I'm sure it's been years and years, but I miss the dependability of Monday night during the season and being able to turn on a great football game on ABC (don't have cable anymore; I cut the cord). I look at my "Tonight on TV" guide on imdb just now and see instead, "Dancing with the Stars."

rolleyes.gif

I miss Howard Cossell and Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford.



EDITED: to correct late night typo (how could I misspell "Howard"?)
Edited by Will2007 - 11/6/13 at 6:45pm
post #2 of 68
That would be HOWARD Cosell. He was good but after his wife Emmy died, he was a shell of himself and very bitter.
post #3 of 68
The MNF games have not been very good lately. Two things hurt: 1) The move from ABC to ESPN, 2) the loss of Hank Williams Jr and his iconic theme song. Also, they're locked into the schedule they get - if the games late in the season features teams with losing records, nothing can be done.

The fact that the league wanted the Sunday night game to be their prime time showcase and the willingness of the league to allow NBC to have 'flex scheduling' during the last few weeks of the season (to allow a better match up to be flexed in over a poor match up) also hurt.
post #4 of 68
Don't feel too bad. About half of the MNF games this year have been incredibly bad games. Bad teams at their worst. Long delays while officials sort things out.. Few moments of excitement. Not something you would want to watch unless it was recorded and you had a fast forward button. Kind of like comparing Saturday Night Live to when it was good. Back in the day...
post #5 of 68
Sunday Night Football is the new Monday Night Football. They have the better match ups and flex scheduling. Most of the Monday Night match ups have been bad. ESPN over paid for Monday Night Football and what they basically got was the Sunday Night game they used to have moved to Monday Night.

There are going to be some really good match ups on Sunday Night Football the next 3 weeks so be sure to tune in. Sunday Night Football is the third football game I watch each Sunday. I watch 12 hours of Football in HD each Sunday. After that I don't really miss the poor match ups on Monday Night Football.

As for entertainment on Monday night put on a good DVD or Blu-Ray or go to Buffalo Wild Wings and have dinner and watch the game there.
post #6 of 68
Last night's Bears/Packers game was good.
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Sunday Night Football is the new Monday Night Football. .
NTM ThNF
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

NTM ThNF

INSIUWYS
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

Don't feel too bad. About half of the MNF games this year have been incredibly bad games. Bad teams at their worst. Long delays while officials sort things out.. Few moments of excitement. Not something you would want to watch unless it was recorded and you had a fast forward button. Kind of like comparing Saturday Night Live to when it was good. Back in the day...

it's making football less and less watchable
post #10 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

That would be HOWARD Cosell. He was good but after his wife Emmy died, he was a shell of himself and very bitter.

D'oh! Late at night typo.
post #11 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

NTM ThNF

INSIUWYS

I'm not sure if I should be proud or scared that I figured out what both you were saying.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I'm not sure if I should be proud or scared that I figured out what both you were saying.

Be afraid.. Be v-e-r-y afraid biggrin.gif
post #13 of 68
There was a time when MNF meant something special – a one of a kind. You would often have traditional, divisional matchups. Regardless of the records you knew it would be one heck of a game. Now on a regular basis we have Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night. Big deal. Parity league. Over saturation. I hate Thursday night games. At least the league cares about player safety. rolleyes.gif And lets not forget to get the Londoners involved. I see the NFL is considering scheduling games to be played on the Moon in 2025. That should be interesting.

tongue.gifwink.gif
Edited by Aliens - 11/5/13 at 3:39pm
post #14 of 68
The League is actually considering expanding the Thursday night game schedule to two games. eek.gif Ridiculous. Chris Collinsworth speaks for the players and many fans (I know he does me) when he says what they ought to do is abolish the Thursday night game and play a doubleheader on Monday night. Give one of them to the NFL Network, let ESPN keep the other. Alternate early and late games. The only NFL games that should be played on Thursday are the traditional Thanksgiving games.

I guess $9 billion a year - that's what the NFL generates - just ain't enough. rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 68
2 games on monday is a stupid idea the ratings would be a disaster.

The early game gets hurt cause its too early while the late game gets hurt cause it ends too late + there arent enough west team to play all those late games.

Theres a reason the week 1 10:30 MNF game is the lowest rated of the season.

The most likely scenario is 16 games 8 stay on NFLN while 8 get sold to another network.


+ i know the socialist everyone gets a handout want to take over but i dont see anything wrong with wanting to make more $$.
post #16 of 68
I agree w whoever said Sunday is the new Monday Night; let ESPN eat cake!
post #17 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

There was a time when MNF meant something special – a one of a kind. You would often have traditional, divisional matchups. Regardless of the records you knew it would be one heck of a game. Now on a regular basis we have Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night. Big deal. Parity league. Over saturation. I hate Thursday night games. At least the league cares about player safety. rolleyes.gif And lets not forget to get the Londoners involved. I see the NFL is considering scheduling games to be played on the Moon in 2025. That should be interesting.

tongue.gifwink.gif

Yay. Aliens gets what I meant in the OP. That's exactly what I was trying to say in my almost asleep state of mind (it was bedtime).

Monday Night Football was a very big deal in the 70s. Huge match ups. The Steelers vs. anybody. The Dolphins (of 1972 or 1973) vs. anybody. It was what you watched if you were a guy, and if you were a kid or a teenager, you watched with your dad.

Sunday Night Football of today isn't anywhere close to being the same thing. Not even in the same...stadium.
post #18 of 68
I thought when the subject of double headers was brought up the NFL said that was not being considered.
post #19 of 68
Would rather watch college football anyway ever since our NFL team, the Triangles, was taken away. Somehow Green Bay gets to keep its team, but cities like Dayton and Portsmouth did not.

Maybe ABC can negotiate a college football matchup on Monday night?
post #20 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I agree w whoever said Sunday is the new Monday Night; let ESPN eat cake!

They can't have their Kate and Edith too. smile.gif
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylab View Post

Would rather watch college football anyway ever since our NFL team, the Triangles, was taken away. Somehow Green Bay gets to keep its team, but cities like Dayton and Portsmouth did not.

Maybe ABC can negotiate a college football matchup on Monday night?

That's a long time to hold a grudge, maybe it's time to let it go. Over 70 years. Just kidding, it's fun reading about the origins of the league. Each team had to pay $100 to get a franchise but Halas said that nobody actually paid it.
post #22 of 68
The other thing that set MNF apart; what is your record on Monday night? “This is the 14th appearance for so and so on Monday night, and their record is such and such.” If you had a winning record you wore that as a badge of honor, especially if you dominated on MNF. I’d say the prestige of winning on Monday night came in second only to winning the Super Bowl. It was that big of a deal.
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

The other thing that set MNF apart; what is your record on Monday night? “This is the 14th appearance for so and so on Monday night, and their record is such and such.” If you had a winning record you wore that as a badge of honor, especially if you dominated on MNF. I’d say the prestige of winning on Monday night came in second only to winning the Super Bowl. It was that big of a deal.

Ah yes, the glory days when the Raiders had the best MNF record. Seems so long ago now...


Those were the days my friend
We thought they would never end
post #24 of 68
Ah, the charm of the old MNF. We all miss it. I loved the Sunday Night crew on ESPN. Lots of humor &
great game calling, etc. Everything is so corporate now. Takes the fun out of the broadcast.

There are still good games, but the fun is lost in our new P.C. TV.
post #25 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I'm sure it's been years and years, but I miss the dependability of Monday night during the season and being able to turn on a great football game on ABC (don't have cable anymore; I cut the cord). I look at my "Tonight on TV" guide on imdb just now and see instead, "Dancing with the Stars."

rolleyes.gif

I miss Howard Cossell and Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford.



EDITED: to correct late night typo (how could I misspell "Howard"?)

I miss those guys too. We tend to forget just how funny and charming Don Meredith was and what a perfect straight man for his shtick the brilliant but grouchy Howard Cossell was. I think my all time favorite Dandy Donism came toward the end of a Houston Oilers game in the old Astrodome. The Oilers were getting blown out, again, and as the camera was panning over some disgusted fans, one of them gave the finger to the camera. Frank Gifford then said that perhaps the fan was giving half of a a peace sign. Meredith then said in his famous Texas drawl, "Nah, he's just tellin' us that his team is number 1." smile.gif Nothing that funny had happened during one of the games before and it sure as he'll hasn't happened since.
post #26 of 68
For that matter, MNF on ESPN isn't at all what it was on ABC; not even close...
post #27 of 68
Why does the MNF game on ESPN have the same amount of commercials and the same crappy commercials that the games have on the free OTA channels like Fox, CBS, and NBC. Since you can only watch ESPN in HD by paying $100 a month for a pay TV subscription you should be getting a better quality broadcast. But they use every chance they can to take a commercial break which is way to many.
post #28 of 68
I think Tirico and Gruden do a good job with MNF, personally - Gruden knows his stuff and is fun to listen to and they work well together. It's a damn sight better than it was when they had the three-ring circus with Kornheiser in the booth.
post #29 of 68
I guess it all comes down to personal taste because Gruden drives me nuts. I have to mute the sound in order to watch those games even though I do like Tirico.
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhunter8 View Post

I guess it all comes down to personal taste because Gruden drives me nuts. I have to mute the sound in order to watch those games even though I do like Tirico.

My wife likes him now, although she hated him as Tampa Bay coach. When I holler out to her "Dennis the Menace is on" she perks up... rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Sigh. I Miss Monday Night Football