or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Wired/Wireless Streaming, 33TB Storage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Wired/Wireless Streaming, 33TB Storage - Page 7

post #181 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg1 View Post

I bought Philips HDR5710/F7 at Bestbuy.com. I registered an external usb hard drive, recorded to it and was able to copy/move what I recorded back and forth to the units internal hard drive. When I connected the same external usb hard drive to my computer (windows 7 64-bit), it does not recognize the drive.

Can you play back directly from the external HD or do you have to transfer content back to the internal ?

I got lost in all the grousing. I get that the Philips will not burn to an external disc. It also seems that it lacks an optical drive for playback only. Is that correct? That is not a deal breaker because it is not the only recorder in my stack. My Magnavox recorders can also playback my DVDs. I think an optical drive would be a good feature for many people who only want one device.
post #182 of 554
This wireless module is strange (AboCom WM5504). The location on a the extension of the PS board which is mostly empty under a shielded plate. confused.gif Really screwy design to say the least.
We won't really know anything until what is under that plate gets removed.



.LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
post #183 of 554
I just tried to place an online order for a Philips 5750 at Best Buy and they told me my Rewards Certificate had been used previously. I know that is wrong because I have not purchased anything since the purchase that earned me the points. I tried to call and was told the expected wait time would be 20 minutes.

I will wait for Amazon to match or beat the price at Worst Buy. How I hate Worst Buy.

I checked the Walmart site and only found the older Magnavox. Any other stores carrying the new Philips. NO EBAY!!!
post #184 of 554
Hi guys,
like a few others, i have ordered the philips hdr5710 from best buy.
Presently On back order.
Thats fine.

Can someone who has a unit at home please comment on the internet services?
Specifically the NET TV functions.
This is a Philips app.

Also, any other internet functions to mention?

Thanks
Michael
post #185 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

I just tried to place an online order for a Philips 5750 at Best Buy and they told me my Rewards Certificate had been used previously. I know that is wrong because I have not purchased anything since the purchase that earned me the points. I tried to call and was told the expected wait time would be 20 minutes.

I will wait for Amazon to match or beat the price at Worst Buy. How I hate Worst Buy.

I checked the Walmart site and only found the older Magnavox. Any other stores carrying the new Philips. NO EBAY!!!

 

I haven't found it listed anywhere except those places I listed in Post #1... I keep looking though!

post #186 of 554
Might order one in a few weeks. Wondering have or has anyone that has this box gave a usb mouse or keyboard a try to see if it works for say searching on youtube and such. O ise to only use Linux and wonder how hard this box would be to add things to it such as internet browser and other stream sites like filmon so on. Heck you could even run skype to it if a usb mic or usb webcam with mic could be added to the code for the box. Even say add code for bluetooth usb adapter.
post #187 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post


Don't hold your breath on cable card. Anything in that price range better have 2 tuners and at least PSIP guide capability. Anyone who wants a single tuner box that programs like a VCR can buy an iView or HomeWorx for $50.

Did you also notice the lack of a TV volume control on the remote.

Unfortunately, those Iview and Homeworx units are quite buggy. Hard drives cost extra.

If these units work reliably, I will gladly pay the price.  Beats the cost of cable any day.

post #188 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 View Post

Can you play back directly from the external HD or do you have to transfer content back to the internal ?



One can play back or record to either the external HD or the internal HD, users choice via menu.
post #189 of 554
Thread Starter 

:D

 

Believe it or not:

 

5710 for $239.99 @ Nebraska Furniture Mart

 

(I know nothing about them.)

 

:D

post #190 of 554
Thread Starter 

:D

 

While Amazon still shows "Temporarily out of stock," they've reduced their prices:

 

5710 for $209.34.

 

5750 for $252.30.

 

:D 

post #191 of 554
Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma. These people have an antenna in their attic, but do not know it. They have a single HDTV attached to that antenna. They'd like to be able to pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff. Is this a good fit for them?
post #192 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma. These people have an antenna in their attic, but do not know it. They have a single HDTV attached to that antenna. They'd like to be able to pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff. Is this a good fit for them?

 

From all we know now, it appears that it would be a good fit for their needs. They could record from their antenna pretty easily and play the named titles back whenever they wanted. The more exotic stuff could come later... or never, depending on your availability for technical support ? :D

post #193 of 554

170 bucks with my Prime subscription, after signing up for an Amazon card (no annual fee).

Nobody here's going to be able to provide any real further info, or get theirs much before me.  My Mag SD OTA DVR has been chugging along faithfully for over two years.  It has just about changed my life, and saved many hundreds in cable bills.

Done and DONE!  The new unit's back-ordered.

Happy Holidays to Me!


Edited by Technopundit - 12/3/13 at 5:16pm
post #194 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technopundit View Post
 

170 bucks with my Prime subscription, after signing up for an Amazon card (no annual fee).

Nobody here's going to be able to provide any real further info, or get theirs much before me.  My Mag SD OTA DVR has been chugging along faithfully for two years.  It has changed my life, and saved many hundreds in cable bills.

Done and DONE!  The new unit's back-ordered.

Happy Holidays to Me!

 

Congrats on your awesome Amazon deal! A 5710 I presume?

 

Are you getting it delivered via drone!?

post #195 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
 

 

Congrats on your awesome Amazon deal! A 5710 I presume?

 

Are you getting it delivered via drone!?

With the ability to add more drive space, I figured "Why?"  So it's a 5710.  My old machine never ran out of space.  I just watch and delete.  Besides, there's a brand new 1TB drive hiding on the back-room shelf.

I hope they don't Drone the thing.  Drones are noisy, and the neighbors own GUNS!.

post #196 of 554
I pulled the trigger on the 5750 (1t) at BB for $300. I'll get 10% Discover cash back and probably some best buy rewards too. Seems like a good deal. If it isn't, I'll return it and wait on the Channel Master k77.
post #197 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

From all we know now...could come later... or never...depending on your availability for technical support ? biggrin.gif
Parts of me are shriveling up reading this...
post #198 of 554

Philips HDR 5710 F/7

Reserved
Edited by MarkB49 - 12/4/13 at 8:59am
post #199 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

Is the right DVR for my inlaws? Think Fred and Wilma.
Can Fred and Wilma program a VCR?
post #200 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post


Can Fred and Wilma program a VCR?

:D good point! Anyone remember the running joke about the majority of VCR owners with flashing 12:00 on their VCRs.....

It sure would have been nice if this DVR had at least  PSIP programming, I mean my iView 3500 is very basic(and cheap at <$40) but even it has PSIP click to program....wonder why Philips didn't include such a feature?

post #201 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
 

:D good point! Anyone remember the running joke about the majority of VCR owners with flashing 12:00 on their VCRs.....

It sure would have been nice if this DVR had at least  PSIP programming, I mean my iView 3500 is very basic(and cheap at <$40) but even it has PSIP click to program....wonder why Philips didn't include such a feature?

That's strange. I thought it could use the PSIP for the clock???

post #202 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
 

That's strange. I thought it could use the PSIP for the clock???


I was talking about using PSIP to program the timer, yes I believe the Philips can use PSIP to set the clock. The VCR 12:00 statement was just pointing to the fact that the majority of people couldn't even set their VCR clock, let alone get into the programming screens. I guess at least with the Philips the clock would be set, but the customer would still have to navigate the ON/OFF/Channel screens, something that most people on AVS would have no issue with, but not sure about Joe Six Pack or Fred and Wilma :D

post #203 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
 


I was talking about using PSIP to program the timer, yes I believe the Philips can use PSIP to set the clock. The VCR 12:00 statement was just pointing to the fact that the majority of people couldn't even set their VCR clock, let alone get into the programming screens. I guess at least with the Philips the clock would be set, but the customer would still have to navigate the ON/OFF/Channel screens, something that most people on AVS would have no issue with, but not sure about Joe Six Pack or Fred and Wilma :D

I got it. I wish they used the network for the clock. Since I have no PSIP on my (non-Comcast) cable it sort of makes this a bad buy for me. I still use my 515H for three shows every week. You can't expect too much for $210 though. I hope Funai makes out well with these units.

post #204 of 554
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post

I pulled the trigger on the 5750 (1t) at BB for $300. I'll get 10% Discover cash back and probably some best buy rewards too. Seems like a good deal. If it isn't, I'll return it and wait on the Channel Master k77.

 

I'm "revisiting" this because I belatedly noticed in your original post on "Fred and Wilma" that they'd like to "pause, rewind, and fast forward programs and, occasionally record stuff."

 

In the first part of that, where you said "programs," if by that you mean the typical Pause Live TV, where you press Pause on a live TV show, you then can rewind the live show because it's already been recorded to a temp. buffer in the background, it appears this Philips 5710 doesn't have that. It has what I'm calling "Pseudo-PLTV" as explained in this post. This feature is still being "investigated" by User-1.

 

Of course, they CAN certainly pause, rewind, FF recorded programs in the normal manner.


Edited by wajo - 12/4/13 at 10:56am
post #205 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
 It has what I'm calling "Pseudo-PLTV" as explained in this post. This feature is still being "investigated" by User-1.

Thats how the PLTV works on my iView, it only starts recording live TV after pushing REC or by pushing the PAUSE button. I also don't think one can save the PLTV but I could be wrong, I've never tried it. Personally I think thats OK, gives my HDD a rest if I'm not actually using it, unlike my Tivo where it's always recording the last 1/2 hr and the HDD always spins. The Tivo method does come in handy at times so I can see advantages of both methods.

post #206 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It sure would have been nice if this DVR had at least  PSIP programming, I mean my iView 3500 is very basic(and cheap at <$40) but even it has PSIP click to program....wonder why Philips didn't include such a feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

That's strange. I thought it could use the PSIP for the clock???

I believe I read you can set the clock manually, which you will probably have to do since PSIP time is notoriously erratic. Remains to be seen how stable the manual clock is towards drift.

Single tuner
no guide
VCR style manual programming
an now, no buffer for pause-Live TV or trickplay

wow, what were they thinking with this?
It's a real stretch to call this a DVR.
It really looks like a digital VCR.
post #207 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Thats how the PLTV works on my iView, it only starts recording live TV after pushing REC or by pushing the PAUSE button. I also don't think one can save the PLTV but I could be wrong, I've never tried it. Personally I think thats OK, gives my HDD a rest if I'm not actually using it, unlike my Tivo where it's always recording the last 1/2 hr and the HDD always spins. The Tivo method does come in handy at times so I can see advantages of both methods.


On the Philips DVR it auto saves and auto titles it for you (PLTV)
post #208 of 554
I'm glad the new recorder uses manual programming (VCR method). Approximately half the OTA stations in town do not have any PSIP or EPG data at all.

Some that have the time displayed are inaccurate. Strange, the programming is "on-time."
post #209 of 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

biggrin.gif

Believe it or not:

5710 for $239.99 @ Nebraska Furniture Mart

(I know nothing about them.)

biggrin.gif


I ordered something from them a few years ago. No problems at all.
post #210 of 554
I've been feeling "yucky" about this machine because there's no way to offload recordings and store them on media. (No, external hard drives don't count, especially when what's on them can't be read by a computer and put to use.)

Now that I hear you can't do "pause live TV", this machine is looking less and less like a replacement for the Maggie (and Phillips) DVR/DVDrecorder machines we're more familiar with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Wired/Wireless Streaming, 33TB Storage