I have received the philips 5710 purchased from amazon for about ~$200.
I have used it for about a week and would like to post my opinion.
I have been following this thread from the first few postings and it have proven to be very helpful.
Thanks to all the contributions.
Although some have posted problems or issues, i have experienced no issues what so ever.
My wife navigates the menus and records her shows with ease... and thats a good thing.
4 STAR RATING X X X X
- i am connected to antenna and the tuner reception is excellent. i have about 50 channels. Similar to my other TVs in the house.
- i also can switch to a cable connection (that i use for internet) and it picks up the backdoor channels quite well. analog and digital. This is nice as i watch TSN sports for free.
- my display is a 1080p samsung and the picture quality is top notch thru the dvr tuner or the recorded output. EXCELLENT!
- the dolby digital audio is also excellent.
- Video and Audio quality excellent ? isnt that what is most important ????
- the remote could be a bit bigger , but its ok.
- very easy to navigate thru the menus. Installations was a breeze.
- i connected thru wi-fi for internet. No connection issues using a secure WPS.
- my kids use netflix and youtube,,,, but im hoping for updates to add more apps.
- its a small box and fits EASILY in my AV cabinet
- i have not connected a external HDD and may not do so unless a person figures out how to read/play the disk files off line.
- clock settings have been set to a local reliable digital channel and all ok ever since.
- aspect ratio is fine on all OTA channels. But, once i switch to cable it needs adjustment.
- the 500gb disk will never fill in my home unless we go away for a month.
- quiet and low energy use
- video ouput or signal switching manners on this unit are smooth and not erratic as with some other devices i have seen.
- no HDMI issues
- i had to switch the audio setting to PCM as my TV did not provide sound at first. OK now.
- software auto update went smoothly once internet was connected
Overall,,, i am happy with the unit. Not saying there couldn't be more to offer.
I record what and when i want and ...No subscription needed.
it played from a usb stick without the protections and HDD formatting.
Maybe play photos or avi video ?
It would be nice if more network features were present to access my photos or video from my home network ?
Has someone tried to access thru network ??
I have read about the Iview and the price comparison for 200$ is very close.
The philips 5710 does what it claims.
Edited by michgpan - 12/24/13 at 11:24am