I'm coming into the market for a new sub, and it has been a long time coming. Last year I started my equipment renewal by purchasing a Denon AVR-2312ci and really love it, but it shows how much my sub sucks. I have tuned my current sub to sound better, but I'm still not 100% pleased and the sub is aged. The main speakers that I have are also aged, but they do produce a decent sound and will get upgraded eventually. These speakers are the JBL NS24 Northridge series... I can get exact model #'s off of all 5 speakers later. My current sub? It's a JBL PB10, which was nice for its time and what I could afford when I was 16, but it's time to move on.
I've been contemplating the SVS PB12-NSD or the HSU VTF-3 MK4, so my budget is somewhere in that $700 zone. I'm not tied to these, but these are two that I came up with when digging around. If whatever I buy is a smidge more, that shouldn't hurt anything, but I absolutely cannot stretch it to a grand. I am right around 75% movies/TV and 25% music. I love the big punch from a nice sub, which is why I want something more powerful.
My room size? Well, that’s going to change in the next year or so, but currently my room size is is somewhere around 28x18 with a 12 foot long stub wall that views into my kitchen area…. So not exactly 100% ideal, but it’s my main room for now. The flooring is a granite tile and I do have a basement beneath. I do plan on building theatre space in my basement next year, so that changes my flooring to concrete and 60% of my walls will be solid concrete, with the other 40% being insulated 2x4 walls (the ceiling will also be insulated for sound reasons). I’m going to guess this room will be 26x16x8, though I haven’t fully measured the space that I want to utilize.
One of my friends let me borrow his Paradigm UltraCube10, and this thing is damn nice, but it’s definitely out of my budget. I don’t need a compact sub, either.
I have so much to learn and relearn about audio since it has been years since I read into it a bunch. What would you guys recommend would be ideal for my situation, or have I nailed it on the head?
Thanks in advance for your input!!
Edited by NAiLs00 - 11/8/13 at 2:14pm