or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › What Are Your Favorite Surround-Speaker Packages?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Are Your Favorite Surround-Speaker Packages? - Page 2

post #31 of 77
For a medium sized home theater:

Mains: Definitive Technology 8040 Super Towers
Center: Definitive Technology 8040 Center
Rears: Definitive Technology 8040 Bi-Pole Surrounds
Sides: Definitive Technology Pro-Cinema 1000
Rear sub: Supercube 2000

Drive it all with a Yamaha 2030 or 3030 receiver... BLISS....

Elio
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbroke View Post

Monitor Audio Apex 7.1 cool.gif

Fully agree with Paul. Stunning speaker package!
post #33 of 77
I have the Kilpsch F-30 Home Theater system. When I made my purchase, I tested four or five different speaker systems. The F-30 was the best of that lot. Also unlike many "audiophile" speakers, they are 8 ohms so can be driven by most AV receivers.
post #34 of 77
Martin Logan Motion 40 towers, Motion 30 center, and Motion 15 or FX2 surrounds. Fantastic for both HT AND 2 channel listening. Beautiful cabinetry and aesthetics. Ribbon tweeter is just outstanding. These beat a GE Triton system in my audition.
post #35 of 77
I would say the Pioneer SP-PK52FS as long as you supplement it with a better sub. They sound great and can get surprisingly loud considering their modest sensitivity rating and stated power handling specs. Andrew Jones used very conservative methods to come up with the power handling specs.
post #36 of 77
Aperion grand verus
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum is planning a series of buying guides for the holiday shopping season, and we need your help. Each guide will include the top picks of AVS members based on reviews, threads, and—most importantly—your response to queries such as this one.

So, what are your favorite 5.1 or 7.1 surround-speaker packages? Since this is for an upcoming buying guide, we're only looking for currently available models. Also, we'd like to focus on complete 5.1 or 7.1 packages, such as the Pioneer SP-PK52FS or GoldenEar SuperCinema 50, each of which includes front left and right towers, center speaker, left and right surrounds, and subwoofer. Satellite/subwoofer packages are also welcome. Of course, many people assemble a complete speaker system from individual products, but if we go that route in this case, the task of creating a buying guide will quickly become untenable. On the other hand, we are willing to consider custom packages assembled from the products of one manufacturer, as long as all the speakers are well-matched from the same product line.

Simply post a comment here with the make(s) and model number(s) and any elaboration you care to add; we might even use your comments in the final buying guide. Perhaps you love the one(s) you own or those you've seen at friends' places. Either way, feel free to include more than one, but please limit your response to the best you've seen among currently available models. You can also consider price and value in your choices—a particular product might not be the absolute best performer, but if it's very good and its price is relatively low, that makes it an outstanding value and worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for helping us help others find the best AV products available today!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+


Goldenear triton 7, supercenter XL, eon 2 surrounds and force field 5
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post

For a medium sized home theater:

Mains: Definitive Technology 8040 Super Towers
Center: Definitive Technology 8040 Center
Rears: Definitive Technology 8040 Bi-Pole Surrounds
Sides: Definitive Technology Pro-Cinema 1000
Rear sub: Supercube 2000

Drive it all with a Yamaha 2030 or 3030 receiver... BLISS....

Elio



Wow, Wow very nice indeed.............
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraman View Post

Currently best in the market for the price and quality is Golden Ear.

Pair of Triton II
Pair of SuperSat50 for sides
Super Center XL for center
Pair of SuperSat 3 for Rear
ForceField 4 sub

Please talk to me about the need for the FF4 added to the Triton II's.

Given the choice would you go Aon2 LCR or Aon3 LR with the XL center [both with the FF4]?

Thanks!
[you can see my Aperion system below]
post #40 of 77
I am partial to my own system, B&W 802Ds with appropriate surround and centers from B&W.

I helped a friend by selecting and installing a system to surprise her husband that is pretty super for the price using the Andrew Jones Pioneer SP-PK22BS home theater package. Another friend heard it and like it so much he bought a set of Pioneers as well.
post #41 of 77
I think some replies are confused, or I am. The OP is asking for surround -packages-. Sold as a set. That someone might walk into a store and buy as one transaction. Surely the entirety of the AVS community has a set of speakers they put together themselves, perhaps that is even recommended as a set by a manufacturer, but that's not what is being asked for.

In my own case I am reviewing the KEF E305 set and am very impressed with them so far, and recommend it be included in the holiday buying guide as a premium HTIB package. Price might be a bit high for the average holiday buyer but it seems to be a considerable step up from the Bose and other packages that they might already be considering.

I also have the Energy Take 5 set in my office running off my PC for 5.1 gaming and heartily recommend it for that purpose. I don't know how satisfied I would be with it for movies but bet it would hold it's own there as well in smaller spaces. The Energy Micro set is also worth considering.
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

I think some replies are confused, or I am. The OP is asking for surround -packages-. Sold as a set. That someone might walk into a store and buy as one transaction. Surely the entirety of the AVS community has a set of speakers they put together themselves, perhaps that is even recommended as a set by a manufacturer, but that's not what is being asked for.

In my own case I am reviewing the KEF E305 set and am very impressed with them so far, and recommend it be included in the holiday buying guide as a premium HTIB package. Price might be a bit high for the average holiday buyer but it seems to be a considerable step up from the Bose and other packages that they might already be considering.

I also have the Energy Take 5 set in my office running off my PC for 5.1 gaming and heartily recommend it for that purpose. I don't know how satisfied I would be with it for movies but bet it would hold it's own there as well in smaller spaces. The Energy Micro set is also worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum is planning a series of buying guides for the holiday shopping season, and we need your help. Each guide will include the top picks of AVS members based on reviews, threads, and—most importantly—your response to queries such as this one.

So, what are your favorite 5.1 or 7.1 surround-speaker packages? Since this is for an upcoming buying guide, we're only looking for currently available models. Also, we'd like to focus on complete 5.1 or 7.1 packages, such as the Pioneer SP-PK52FS or GoldenEar SuperCinema 50, each of which includes front left and right towers, center speaker, left and right surrounds, and subwoofer. Satellite/subwoofer packages are also welcome. Of course, many people assemble a complete speaker system from individual products, but if we go that route in this case, the task of creating a buying guide will quickly become untenable. On the other hand, we are willing to consider custom packages assembled from the products of one manufacturer, as long as all the speakers are well-matched from the same product line.

Simply post a comment here with the make(s) and model number(s) and any elaboration you care to add; we might even use your comments in the final buying guide. Perhaps you love the one(s) you own or those you've seen at friends' places. Either way, feel free to include more than one, but please limit your response to the best you've seen among currently available models. You can also consider price and value in your choices—a particular product might not be the absolute best performer, but if it's very good and its price is relatively low, that makes it an outstanding value and worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for helping us help others find the best AV products available today!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
post #43 of 77
+1 for mimicking the letter of both posters, -1 for getting the spirit of what's being asked for.

They are compiling a holiday guide. Listing out the matched sets of the top 3 lines from the top 10 vendors does nobody any good.

Take a step back and think about what you would recommend someone who has a budget of $500, $1000, and above to buy as a gift set, one that the recipient will likely never compare to any other speakers in a blind A/b test. And even that $500 is probably stretching it for most gift givers.

An exercise spending a virtual $4k is fun but doesn't help anyone. Giving thoughtful advice to people looking to spend wisely on what would be a very expensive gift would be.

All MHO of course.
post #44 of 77
Agreed. We need a budget, or this is a waste of time.
post #45 of 77
Yep. I actually need the guide, so from my perspective, if you don't have $$$ categories, this list will be useless. Might as well make it ranges as well because most people end up spending more than they had planned. Each category could explain the benefits (or not) of moving up to a slightly higher priced set, or price category.

5.1 setups:
$400 - $1000
$1200 - $2000 (where I am)
$2200 - $3500
$3700 & above
post #46 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Agreed. We need a budget, or this is a waste of time.


Actually, the final list will order the packages I settle on in ascending order of cost, so you will be able to find the best speaker packages at a variety of prices. For now, all I'm asking for is faves regardless of price, and I'll sort them into price order.

post #47 of 77
5 NHT super zeros and a Super 8 or better sub, depending on price point.
post #48 of 77
Only one mention of Aperion Verus Grand system so I will second that notion. It has been reviewed very well by everyone and is a joy to look at IMO. It should be on the short list if it's in your budget.
post #49 of 77
I really like my setup for a mid level setup (~$2000):

Center: JBL LC1 (LC2 probably preferable though)
Front L/R: JBL L880s
Surrounds: JBL 810s
Sub: JBL ES150PBK
post #50 of 77
For buyers on a budget--which is where I was early 2011--AND smaller/living room purposes: I HIGHLY recommend ONKYO.

Their boxed 7.1 packages cannot be beat, IMO, for the price. Plenty of connectivity and power for general entertainment purposes, and plenty handsome. They've been ranging from US$350 to $550, but I believe their price'll drop for the Holidays.

If you are used to 5.1 HTiB's whose receiver/amp is also the DVD/Blu-ray player (and which drives the "passive" subwoofer along with all the other speakers), look no further than ONKYO. Once you try it you'll see how much those suck in comparison. Of course, you'll have to hook up the DVD/Blu-ray/CD players or gaming consoles separately, but this is also a plus. The "active" (or "independently powered") subwoofer that comes with ONKYO HTiBs won't drain the receiver's amp either, and is another plus.

I would NOT recommend their 5.1 line, EVEN FOR smaller rooms. The added 2 speakers sound great as front heights with Dolby PL IIz processing--some even prefer that over back surrounds. As a matter of fact, the only real reason surround backs are needed is for movies with emphasized back channel mixing. Music? Games? Most movies? In my experience, they may sound even better with front heights. Also, I had the chance to listen to an ONKYO 5.1 setup once in a vacation home and there is a BIG difference both feature- and audio-wise! Do yourself a favor and go for the 7.1, in ANY case. cool.gif

Should you choose to go the ONKYO 7.1 HTiB way, keep in mind you may need to get speaker cable for longer runs (or simply because the included cable--though practically color-coded--feels cheap). I used the ones included and only needed extra when I finally decided to install the back surrounds on ceiling mounts (before that, front heights proved good enough!) and they served their purpose.

The model I got was--IS still going strong!--the ONKYO HT-S5400, but their current model is the 5600.

Happy Holiday Shopping! smile.gif
post #51 of 77
In the mid to entry level, the Polk TSI series is definitely something to consider. I use the TSI200s for left and right with the TSI100s as surrounds. Throw in a CS2 center and a pair of PSW111s to cover the low end. Not all in one box, but incredibly easy to get on Amazon in one order.
Edited by kristopherson - 11/13/13 at 10:42am
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post


Actually, the final list will order the packages I settle on in ascending order of cost, so you will be able to find the best speaker packages at a variety of prices. For now, all I'm asking for is faves regardless of price, and I'll sort them into price order.

Will there be a way to keep up with current pricing, such as black Friday deals and holiday specials for the sets on your list? For example, you can usually find the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set this time of year on newegg or amazon on special for much cheaper than its usual selling price, making it an even greater bargain than it already is.
post #53 of 77
Most such guides go by list price, not street or bargain pricing....
post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

Most such guides go by list price, not street or bargain pricing....

Good thing that's not what I'm asking...

This is a holiday buying guide, after all. It shouldn't be too hard to add bargain pricing next to list price. I'll wait for Scott's response, since he'll be the one putting this together.
post #55 of 77

I'd have to second the recommendation of the Andrew Jones / Pioneer set. I'm an audiophile and ran these on my main rig (Bryston/Linn) for a couple weeks and was very impressed. I'm not picky about my HT sound and these fit the bill nicely...although I did notice a big step down when I plugged them into my cheap AV receiver. Perhaps that's an even better indication of their quality, such cheap speakers that still reveal source components upstream.

post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

Hsu Research Speakers,
HB-1MK2 / HC-1MK2 And their subwoofers. Is my favorite 5.1 package, great price and sound. smile.gif
+1
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post


Actually, the final list will order the packages I settle on in ascending order of cost, so you will be able to find the best speaker packages at a variety of prices. For now, all I'm asking for is faves regardless of price, and I'll sort them into price order.
Big Scott, of all the speakers I have heard i think these deserve to make the list, P4P they offer the most bang for the buck IMO.

Entry
Pioneer Fs-52
With matching center C-22 and surrounds bs-22

Mid-level
Emptek E55ti
Emptek E56ci
Emptek E5bi
Emptek ES1010i x2

High end
Sonus faber Venere 2.5
with matching center and 1.5 surrounds

Price no object
B&W 800 diamond
with matching center and surrounds
post #58 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post


Good thing that's not what I'm asking...

This is a holiday buying guide, after all. It shouldn't be too hard to add bargain pricing next to list price. I'll wait for Scott's response, since he'll be the one putting this together.


Actually, I'm going by list price; it's much too difficult to keep up with sale prices, which can change hourly. I'm afraid it's up to you to find the best deal; I'm only recommending what I determine to be the best products in various list-price ranges.

post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkaboutav View Post
 

I'd have to second the recommendation of the Andrew Jones / Pioneer set. I'm an audiophile and ran these on my main rig (Bryston/Linn) for a couple weeks and was very impressed. I'm not picky about my HT sound and these fit the bill nicely...although I did notice a big step down when I plugged them into my cheap AV receiver. Perhaps that's an even better indication of their quality, such cheap speakers that still reveal source components upstream.

I also concur, all of the AJ Pioneers are a tremendous value and are good enough to be judged without consideration of price (high or low). It just so happens that they are dirt cheap.

post #60 of 77

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO'S Minx 325v2 5.1system is one great sounding package. You get 5 Minx min 21's and a Minx X300 subwoofer. Small footprint, super nice looking, BIG SOUND. The BMR drivers are hard to beat if you like crystal clear natural sound everywhere and anywhere you sit in the room. Here is a list of speakers I have purchased and tried out in the last 2 years before settling on the Cambridge MINX 325v2 5.1 system.

 

1. Polk TL250 5.0 set with Polk PSW111 sub.

2. Energy 5.1 Take Classic system.

3. Martin Logan Motion series: Motion 4's front, Motion 2's rear, Motion 8 center and Dynamo 700w sub.

 

Here are the systems I went and auditioned at the Hi Fi stereo stores:

 

1. B&W MT50 5.1 system

2. Golden Ear Super Cinema 50 5.1 system: includes Super Sat 50's, Super Sat C, Super Sat 3 with Forcefield 4 subwoofer.

 

Although I did like the sound of the Golden Ear Super Cinema system at very loud listening levels when playing movies, the Cambridge Audio Minx 325v2 's system clearly was the winner for me for all around listening experience during movies, TV and music. You can listen to them all day and they don't wear you out like some speakers do.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Community News & Polls
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › What Are Your Favorite Surround-Speaker Packages?