or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › media room in basement: need advice on media closet inputs/wires
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

media room in basement: need advice on media closet inputs/wires

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I'm planning on wall mounting my TV and putting all media components in a dedicated closet.  Basement is not yet finished so I'll be pulling wires from the TV to the closet inside the walls.  However, I'm not entirely sure what types of jacks I need in the wall-plate that terminates under the proposed location of my TV.  The media closet will house an A/V receiver, cable box, Roku and Xbox.  Can I can connect all these devices via HDMI to the receiver, and then have a single HDMI cable that goes from the receiver to the TV?  If that's the case, I think I only need a single HDMI jack on my wall-plate.  Does this sound right?

 

Any other tips about my proposed installation would be much appreciated, as I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

 

-Mitch

post #2 of 8
Sounds like you are using the TV as a monitor with the sound from the receiver. Only HDMI and power are required. As a future proofing, I might suggest running a second HDMI and an ethernet jack (for smart TV functions). Otherwise you don't have to make it any more complicated than it is. smile.gif
post #3 of 8
HDMI, plus at least 2 cat5e / cat6 wires (to allow for Ethernet, HDBaseT, or something else), but if you want to truly be future-proof, run a flex conduit (empty) so you can add wires in the future...
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

HDMI, plus at least 2 cat5e / cat6 wires (to allow for Ethernet, HDBaseT, or something else), but if you want to truly be future-proof, run a flex conduit (empty) so you can add wires in the future...

And don't forget to add a pull string in the conduit to help pull the cable when and if needed.
post #5 of 8
Make sure to have conduit.

Also, you'll want to run an extension for the Xbox Kinect (when it becomes available).
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fstanek View Post

Make sure to have conduit.


I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean that I should run 1/2" steel conduit from the TV to the media closet?

Also, you'll want to run an extension for the Xbox Kinect (when it becomes available).
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorchad View Post

Sounds like you are using the TV as a monitor with the sound from the receiver. Only HDMI and power are required. As a future proofing, I might suggest running a second HDMI and an ethernet jack (for smart TV functions). Otherwise you don't have to make it any more complicated than it is. smile.gif

Hi gator,

Many TVs come with Netflix,YouTube apps bundled. Will I be able to pipe sound from the TV back to the receiver using the same HDMI cable?

Thanks!
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAbaza View Post

I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean that I should run 1/2" steel conduit from the TV to the media closet?

Not a rigid steel conduit, rather a flexible plastic (PVC) conduit meant for this purpose. Generic name is "Smurf tube" because the general-purpose stuff is bright blue. Carlon Resigard is one of the brands for the (orange) low-volt version (either will work). You'd like 1-1/2" conduit if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAbaza View Post

Many TVs come with Netflix,YouTube apps bundled. Will I be able to pipe sound from the TV back to the receiver using the same HDMI cable?

If both the TV and the AVR support the HDMI v1.4 feature called "Audio Return Channel" (ARC), you can do that.


Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › media room in basement: need advice on media closet inputs/wires