or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Buzz (COMPLETELY UNLPUGGED)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker Buzz (COMPLETELY UNLPUGGED)

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Greetings Everyone,

 

This may sound a little weird, but I'm having the most bizarre issue with my surround speakers.  Just to let you know what I have:

 

5 Bookshelf Athena Speakers

Denon AVR-1612 5.1 Surround Amp

 

I recently moved into a new apartment, and I noticed that the speakers were making a low buzzing noise when the receiver was turned off (no buzz when it was turned on).  So I unplugged the receiver from the surge protector.  The buzz still persisted.  So I unplugged the speaker wire from the speaker.  And the buzz still existed.

 

So now I discover that each of my five speakers will make a buzzing noise along the inner wall of my apartment without any speaker wire or other cables attached!!  It is very quiet, you have to put your ear next to the speaker.  But if I carry the speaker and walk away from the wall, it slowly disappears.

 

What kind of interference from my wall could be powerful enough to make my speakers buzz when they are not even connected to anything?  Should this be something I need to be concerned about?

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post

What kind of interference from my wall could be powerful enough to make my speakers buzz when they are not even connected to anything?  
A high voltage high current electric cable might, like a service entrance that supplies the entire building.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 

Update: I found it is actually coming from the floor.  If I put the speaker on the floor, it gets louder.  Again, this is a completely unplugged passive bookshelf speaker.

 

It is an old building, with some updated wiring.  Perhaps a light fixture from the unit below is causing interference?  I'm just surprised something like that would have enough power to make a passive speaker buzz without any amplification.

 

I can't think of what might be high voltage, high power enough.  We don't have a service entrance or fancy electronic locks on the doors.

post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post

It is an old building, with some updated wiring.  Perhaps a light fixture from the unit below is causing interference?  
Perhaps, if it's a florescent with a passive ballast. Those can toss off a lot of EMI, which can be picked up by voice coils and crossover inductors.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post


Perhaps, if it's a florescent with a passive ballast. Those can toss off a lot of EMI, which can be picked up by voice coils and crossover inductors.

 

I'll chat with the neighbors downstairs and see if I can look at their lighting (I know them).  If it is like ours, they have standard light sockets in some overhead fixtures.  Some of the fixtures also feature smaller sockets similar to chandelier sockets.

 

I suppose they could have installed CFL bulbs, but I doubt it has the full sized florescent lighting.

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpSpeed2013 View Post
 

 

I'll chat with the neighbors downstairs and see if I can look at their lighting (I know them).  If it is like ours, they have standard light sockets in some overhead fixtures.  Some of the fixtures also feature smaller sockets similar to chandelier sockets.

 

I suppose they could have installed CFL bulbs, but I doubt it has the full sized florescent lighting.

 

I found the issue.  Oddly enough, while I was testing to see where I could hear the noise it suddenly stopped.  I went downstairs and checked with our neighbor and indeed he had just turned off his overhead lights.  I had him turn them back on, and presto, the noise returned.  So the overhead lights in the downstairs apartment are causing the buzz.  

 

While this doesn't stop them from quietly buzzing, I am relieved to know where it is coming from.  Luckily unless I'm right next to the speaker, I can't hear the noise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Speaker Buzz (COMPLETELY UNLPUGGED)