Hey Guys and Gals. First post here! :)
I just bought the VPL-HW55ES last Friday (hope to have it installed by next weekend). It was a bit strange buying a TV sight-un-seen as I did with this one. I bought it strictly based on reviews and what I had read in this thread. So hopefully you guys know what you are talking about! ;) Originally I was planning to purchase the JVC RS57U, however after reading several tales of handshake issues and specs that were less than advertised I was scared away from it. Since my wife had given me the okay to get a new projector I figured I needed to do something before she changed her mind.
A few questions (please feel free to answer any or all of them):
1. I'm coming from a JVC RS1 that I have had for the last six years or so. I figured that there shouldn't be too much of a surprise since I have gotten used to the very similar technology between the JVC and the Sony. My question is, does anyone have any familiarity between these two (the RS1 and the HW55), and if so how big or little of a difference do you think I will notice? Since my projector was getting old (in terms of projectors) do you think this will be a pretty big difference, has tech advanced that much in the period between the two?
2. I noticed that the manual states that the 3D image is only good to 5 meters or roughly 16.5 feet. I wish that the salesman had mentioned that as I am a bit concerned as the second row (and last) in my theater is about 18 feet from the screen. Will I be okay? Is the 16.5 feet exact, or just some CYA in the manual? Has anyone tested how far away the supplied glasses work?
3. More questions about the 3D glasses: The manual states that the glasses are recharged with the supplied USB charger cable. However it never states where you hook the USB up to recharge. Is it just in a standard USB outlet (like an iPhone charger, or the USB on the front of my Integra preamp)?
4. Several pages back it was mentioned that the Playstation 3 3D glasses worked with this projector. They do look much more reasonably priced that some other models, is there any reason not to buy them? Has anyone had any negative experience with these glasses?
5. Ceiling mounts. Which ones to get? Has anyone purchased anything from monoprice.com that is compatible? I do like buying from them.
Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get my new toy!
Edited by LeMansFan - 1/5/14 at 12:50pm