or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS4: How to update FW via USB / Install a new HDD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS4: How to update FW via USB / Install a new HDD - Page 2

post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

So if I get a hybrid, do I even need to bother upping to 7200 rpm?

There aren't any 7200rpm hybrids out there anymore anyway.
post #32 of 64
Pop the hard drive in and wait for the console to ask for the firmware usb before plugging it in. That fixed someone elses issues in the main thread.
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Pop the hard drive in and wait for the console to ask for the firmware usb before plugging it in. That fixed someone elses issues in the main thread.

Hmm, I'll try that. What's the sequence I should be expecting? First I see initializing, then preparing to load update (the last 40% goes by super fast, the last 1% takes like a minute). And then reboot. Is that what everyone else is seeing, or is that reboot actually a crash?
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Hmm, I'll try that. What's the sequence I should be expecting? First I see initializing, then preparing to load update (the last 40% goes by super fast, the last 1% takes like a minute). And then reboot. Is that what everyone else is seeing, or is that reboot actually a crash?

If I remember correctly, it does reboot after the first progress bar and then again after it does something else again. I cant remember exactly what it said when it came back from the reboot the first time.
post #35 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Still no dice. It's too bad I just did a super thorough load time test on the stock 5400rpm (I timed like 20-30 things), and was hoping to replicate it on the hybrid...but hybrid no worky. frown.gif

There were some really interesting and unexpected things I noticed even with the stock drive though. Some headscratchers too. I'm hoping to somehow get this hybrid working before I release any results, but based on what I've tested, there's unexpected factors that can influence load time, so I'd take any comparison you currently see on the net with a mountain of salt.

What hybrid drive are you using? I used that Seagate 1TB SSHD (ST1000LM014) and had no issues.

It checks the file (slow at first, then quickly for the last %), reboots once, then installs the file (1-2 min on a progress bar), then reboots and loads the OS for setup.
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

What hybrid drive are you using? I used that Seagate 1TB SSHD (ST1000LM014) and had no issues.

It checks the file (slow at first, then quickly for the last %), reboots once, then installs the file (1-2 min on a progress bar), then reboots and loads the OS for setup.

I'm using the original seagate momentus XT from 2010.
post #37 of 64
I didn't have any problems installing my Hybrid either.
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Pop the hard drive in and wait for the console to ask for the firmware usb before plugging it in. That fixed someone elses issues in the main thread.

 

Tried it, still a no go. Maybe there's a firmware update for the drive...otherwise I'm going to have to sacrifice a laptop HDD to factor out whether it's the drive itself or the USB stick.  

post #39 of 64
Thread Starter 
Could the USB stick be powering down then not connecting when the PS4 reboots?

External HDD's should work as well if you have one, just needs to be fat32.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Could the USB stick be powering down then not connecting when the PS4 reboots?

External HDD's should work as well if you have one, just needs to be fat32.

 

Nah def not, I see the access light on it flickering.  I just updated the firmware on the drive and manually deleted the like 15 partitions on it...it could be that coming off a PS3 and it's exotic file system is the issue.

post #41 of 64
Thread Starter 
Most HDD's ship formatted in Fat32, right? Very well could be the case thats it's looking for a virgin drive.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Most HDD's ship formatted in Fat32, right? Very well could be the case thats it's looking for a virgin drive.

I think most ship unformatted, fat32 and large drives don't really go well together.

Anyway, still doesn't seem to have worked, staring at a black screen again. Looks like this isn't going to be easy, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.
post #43 of 64
Thread Starter 
Next is to try a different USB it seems. Then another drive, even if it isn't a SSHD.
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Next is to try a different USB it seems. Then another drive, even if it isn't a SSHD.

Yeah, I just sacrificed the WD Blue 250GB to the gods of playstation, and they were satisfied. It's already gotten much further than the momentus, so I'm going to go ahead and run my benchmarks on this slower and older drive while I'm at it. That should at least give a frame of reference for the stock drive.

Just so everyone knows, the model number of my SSHD is ST95005620AS. I know a lot of people were tempted by the older seagate SSHDs since they're 7200rpm, but I urge you to stay away until I can get it working.
post #45 of 64
Thread Starter 
Really weird, maybe the older SSD memory controller is causing some sort of hiccup?

I remember a day when floppy drives just worked and didn't need bio flashes.

biggrin.gif
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Really weird, maybe the older SSD memory controller is causing some sort of hiccup?

I remember a day when floppy drives just worked and didn't need bio flashes.

biggrin.gif

I dunno, the PS4 shouldn't even be aware it's an SSHD. My next guess is that it's because the partition table is GPT instead of MBR. I have to hook it up to my windows machine to see if it even got as far as creating any partitions.
post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post


I dunno, the PS4 shouldn't even be aware it's an SSHD. My next guess is that it's because the partition table is GPT instead of MBR. I have to hook it up to my windows machine to see if it even got as far as creating any partitions.

 

I've tried everything, it's just not meant to be.  The PS4 gets as far as partitioning the drive into 15 separate partitions, and when it reboots it fails.  I'm prob one of the few people even trying this drive since they havent made it in years (although I dunno if the 2nd gens have the same problem). Dunno what to do from here...the stock drive is too damn slow, the OS just isnt designed with using SSDs in mind, and I'd rather wait out buying a new SSHD until they increase the cache size.  

post #48 of 64
Make sure you download the 800k version in the 1st post of this thread. (the 2nd link)

When you copy it to your USB stick make sure its in PS4/UPDATE

Make sure you eject the USB stick from windows... dont just yank out the stick. Some buffers might still be your PCs memory.
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Make sure you download the 800k version in the 1st post of this thread. (the 2nd link)

When you copy it to your USB stick make sure its in PS4/UPDATE

Make sure you eject the USB stick from windows... dont just yank out the stick. Some buffers might still be your PCs memory.

Nah, def did the procedure right, had no issue installing on another drive using the same stick.

I guess my last ditch effort is to try and install using a 1.00FW....anyone know where to get it?
post #50 of 64
Hmm, making some progress....I actually got it to boot to the home screen once by removing the HDD, powering the PS4 on, letting it throw the HDD error, turning it off, then reinserting the HDD. It fired up like it was a brand new PS4, I even checked the sys info and it showed 409GB free.

So it seems like it can read the HDD just fine, it's just not installing the OS properly. I'm gonna try cloning the stock HDD sector for sector, maybe that'll work.

Also, it'd be nice if the PSN store actually came online today, so I can play a game instead of fiddling with HDDs.
post #51 of 64
Thread Starter 
Weird. I'm on PSN no problems since last night.

Wonder if there's still regional outages, but you being down in NY not sure why I can connect here in Boston..
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Weird. I'm on PSN no problems since last night.

Wonder if there's still regional outages, but you being down in NY not sure why I can connect here in Boston..

 

I can get on PSN just fine, I just can't open the store or library to download anything. 

 

Since I'm trying to clone the drive I went ahead and benchmarked the stock HDD on HD tune:

 

 

For a 5400rpm 2.5" HDD, that's pretty impressive. That's extremely close to a late model 7200rpm WD Black, and much faster than a WD Blue. The platters might actually be faster than my old SSHD. They definitely didn't cheap out on the drive as much as I thought they did! 

post #53 of 64
Thread Starter 
PlayStation twitter said to try cold restarting the PS4. (cold shutdown, then I'd say unplug it). Said it should be up/fixed an hour ago.

Social stuff still seems to be down. Or really laggy
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

PlayStation twitter said to try cold restarting the PS4. (cold shutdown, then I'd say unplug it). Said it should be up/fixed an hour ago.

Social stuff still seems to be down. Or really laggy

 

Done that plenty of times, no dice.

 

I'm thinking of doing something crazy though. The laptop SSHDs aren't faster enough for me to spend $120 on 1TB. That same money would barely get me a 256gb SSD, which is obviously too small without better file management in the OS. But there's this:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-Solid-Hybrid-ST1000DX001/dp/B00EIQTOFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384643997&sr=8-1&keywords=desktop+sshd

 

The platters read at twice the speed of the laptop SSHD, the seek time is much lower too.  It's a much, much faster drive. But that obviously isn't going to physically fit in the PS4, but SATA is SATA and barring any firmware nonsense I'm 100% positive it will work. I'd basically have to drill a hole in the little plastic piece that covers the HDD bay and slot an extension wire through. 

 

Hmm....

post #55 of 64
Thread Starter 
People did that with PS3's back in the day. It'll also remove a small amount of heat from the system as well.
post #56 of 64

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500015/ps4-hdd-ssd-load-speed-tests

 

Just measuring the stock HDD for now...

post #57 of 64

Hey, so I came across this thread with the exact same problem you're describing.  I get the same error and am attempting to use a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB.  I found this thread on another forum and it helped out.  Apparently, when installing a new HDD you have to use the 1.50 update file and not he 1.51.  Seems rather silly, but I'm going to give it a try.

 

Here's the link to the thread along with a couple of other error code explanations.  Hopefully it helps you out.

 

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/320993-PS4-Troubleshooting-Guide-(UPDATE-20-Nov-13-Added-ERROR-CODES)

post #58 of 64
Did you get yours to work? I eventually caved and bought the newer version of the drive.
post #59 of 64

Unfortunately it didn't work.  I ended up putting the original drive back in and it's working fine.  I believe it's either something with the particular HDD or a flawed HDD install process defined by Sony.

 

I hope I didn't get your hopes up.  I was just trying to help.

post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2007 View Post

Unfortunately it didn't work.  I ended up putting the original drive back in and it's working fine.  I believe it's either something with the particular HDD or a flawed HDD install process defined by Sony.

I hope I didn't get your hopes up.  I was just trying to help.

Nah, if anything I'm glad to hear someone else had trouble with the same drive. Seems like it's just not compatible for whatever reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › PS4: How to update FW via USB / Install a new HDD