or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › Sony PlayStation 4 Pre-Launch Previews and Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony PlayStation 4 Pre-Launch Previews and Reviews - Page 4

post #91 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

My buddy gave me his Porsche - I said keep it .... No CD player ??? I mean really how could they ?
Nice analogy, sadly inaccurate.

Here's a better one:

I already own a Porsche, but it's four years old. My buddy wants to give me a new Porsche, but it doesn't have a leather interior, a good sound system or a nice paint job. But it goes zero to sixty one tenth of a second faster.

Sony made a mistake here, and while I own a PS4, I hope it costs them dearly if they don't own up to it and put out an update that brings back and enhances the media functionality the PS3 had.
post #92 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Nice analogy, sadly inaccurate.

Here's a better one:

I already own a Porsche, but it's four years old. My buddy wants to give me a new Porsche, but it doesn't have a leather interior, a good sound system or a nice paint job. But it goes zero to sixty one tenth of a second faster.

Sony made a mistake here, and while I own a PS4, I hope it costs them dearly if they don't own up to it and put out an update that brings back and enhances the media functionality the PS3 had.

Honestly, with the ps4 being x86 based now and I believe Sony are still using a *nix like kernel in there somewhere, there really isn't any reasons outside of "Don't want to" that we could get a Ps4 version of XBMC in the playstation store.

Hell that's something I would consider paying 30$ for.

Same goes for the xbox one as well (for wich would be full circle for XBMC tongue.gif)
post #93 of 155
There is no excuse for disabling 3D, except greed. They actually went to a bit of trouble to turn it off. Eff them. After Christmas, the PS3s can probably be had for $150
Edited by cjvnyc - 11/17/13 at 5:52am
post #94 of 155
I actually stream my movies to an openelec machine (low level linux distro that only runs xbmc).... All I need is the console to run bluray discs. I am getting the Xbox One friday. I just purchased a used Elite 60"....oy my December CC bill is going to hurt! Anyway why do some people need the console to do everything? Mine is a gaming box first then entertainment next. I am going for Xbox One because I am mostly an MS Fanboy but the ESPN and NFL integration sold me after gaming hah. I honestly think that the cloud computing that Xbox One will enhance the power of the One down the road. Think about it, if developers can unload certain console computing to the cloud and let the console do other heavy lifting....I think the console will only get better.

To put it in true gamer perspective, it's not one versus the other, we just buy both now.
post #95 of 155
It's nice to see that this thread policed itself. There's really no need for calling anyone a loser for their preferences on any thread. I've ever been a gamer, well not since the first Nintendo biggrin.gif but many of the guys have a ps3 in their HT for various reasons. I agree this shouldn't be the primary reason to buy one but it kinda stinks Sony is going backwards and taking features away, unless some can be added with an update.
post #96 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

It's nice to see that this thread policed itself. There's really no need for calling anyone a loser for their preferences on any thread. I've ever been a gamer, well not since the first Nintendo biggrin.gif but many of the guys have a ps3 in their HT for various reasons. I agree this shouldn't be the primary reason to buy one but it kinda stinks Sony is going backwards and taking features away, unless some can be added with an update.

 

There's no feature from the PS3 that can't be added back with a software update. They've already promised 3D BD, MP3, CD and DLNA will eventually return. I'm disappointed by all the missing features too, but the OS is in a really raw state right now. It's not so much as taking features away as it's prioritizing getting games and basic functionality working first. I'm not excusing it by any means, but it's going to be a much better HT machine in a year or so.  

post #97 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

There's no feature from the PS3 that can't be added back with a software update. They've already promised 3D BD, MP3, CD and DLNA will eventually return. I'm disappointed by all the missing features too, but the OS is in a really raw state right now. It's not so much as taking features away as it's prioritizing getting games and basic functionality working first. I'm not excusing it by any means, but it's going to be a much better HT machine in a year or so.  



Is that confirmed from anywhere bd? I know it can be added but will they and why not just put it on from the get go? It seems it would have been a selling point, for the ones looking to add it to their HT.


Edit;
The ps4 can't play a CD as is right now or isn't mp3 capable?
post #98 of 155
I'm curious what is the difference between having DNLA through PS4 versus DNLA on the tv? Or is there no difference?
post #99 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Is that confirmed from anywhere bd? I know it can be added but will they and why not just put it on from the get go? It seems it would have been a selling point, for the ones looking to add it to their HT.


Edit;
The ps4 can't play a CD as is right now or isn't mp3 capable?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/437850/post-launch-ps4-update-to-add-mp3-dlna-support-confirms-yoshida/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5097994/sony-looking-at-dlna-and-mp3-support-for-ps4
post #100 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I'm going to assume you're around 12 years old or you haven't yet reached maturity despite your age otherwise you wouldn't be making these inappropriate comments. The PS3 has a lot of functions that the PS4 currently doesn't have. That makes some people pissed off and rightfully so. Just because you don't understand what an .mkv file is, doesn't make it invalid - it just makes you uneducated. And, yes, a next gen system is expected to be more than just a "plug in a COD game and play" system. Sony needs to get their $h!t together if they expect people to adopt their new system.
Wrong

Sony already has your money and many others ....

Wrong

No clown buys a PS4 looking to stream photos from their computer or play their Air Supply's greatest hits CD ....

You buy a PS4 for Gaming, Blu Ray, Netflix .... done.
post #101 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post


Is that confirmed from anywhere bd? I know it can be added but will they and why not just put it on from the get go? It seems it would have been a selling point, for the ones looking to add it to their HT.


Edit;
The ps4 can't play a CD as is right now or isn't mp3 capable?

 

Because they had to rewrite the entire OS from scratch. It's a ridiculous amount of work to do. They're struggling as a company and probably couldn't dedicate as much resources to it as they wanted to. 

 

http://www.neowin.net/news/sony-to-add-audio-cd-mp3-and-dlna-support-to-ps4-after-launch

 

Sure, it's a selling point to a specific audience, but they're selling like crazy to gamers as it is.  When it eventually becomes HT friendly, I'm sure the HT crowd will be ready and waiting.

post #102 of 155



Thanks for the link!
No wonder our friend was complaining above. I wouldn't expect to go backwards after dropping a minimum of $400 on a new machine. It sounds like Sony thinks they can and probably will get a pass on this just because it's the ps4, and everyone will buy it anyway. Complete nonsense AFAIC.
post #103 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

There is no excuse for disabling 3D, except greed. They actually went to a bit of trouble to turn it off. Eff them. After Christmas, the PS3s can probably be had for $150
LOL NOBODY watches 3D - it's as successful as the HD-DVD ... 3d tv is done before it started and Sony confirmed it...
post #104 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

LOL NOBODY watches 3D - it's as successful as the HD-DVD ... 3d tv is done before it started and Sony confirmed it...



FYI have you looked lately on AVS at all the new 3D releases? Somebody is buying them. Also with the advent of audiostereoscopy TV it will IMO open up a whole new generation of 3D lovers. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't. Yes the ps4 is foremost a gaming system but many audiophiles have them in their HT's for obvious reasons other than gaming.
post #105 of 155
RicFlair,

That's a bold statement by you and perhaps a bit narrow mined. I know of many that enjoy 3d, myself included. If you don't like it , that's fine, but your personal statement might be better off left to yourself.
post #106 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

FYI have you looked lately on AVS at all the new 3D releases? Somebody is buying them. Also with the advent of audiostereoscopy TV it will IMO open up a whole new generation of 3D lovers. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't. Yes the ps4 is foremost a gaming system but many audiophiles have them in their HT's for obvious reasons other than gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post

RicFlair,

That's a bold statement by you and perhaps a bit narrow mined. I know of many that enjoy 3d, myself included. If you don't like it , that's fine, but your personal statement might be better off left to yourself.

Please don't feed the Troll.
post #107 of 155
Actually, bd, you are excusing it, and nothing more, really, since your claims about these features needing to be "added in" are absolute nonsense.
post #108 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post


Please don't feed the Troll.



@&$=*%}^£€>¥ ok biggrin.gif
post #109 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

Actually, bd, you are excusing it, and nothing more, really, since your claims about these features needing to be "added in" are absolute nonsense.

 

I'm not excusing it, I'm explaining it. The software isn't going to write itself, and there's a lot of basic functionality missing on the gaming side as well. I'm not pleased with the state of their software AT ALL. They've stated over and over that gaming is their #1 priority, so the fact that the gaming side of the equation is so unfinished explains why they've barely even started on the HT side. It's categorically worse than the PS3 in every way in that regard. It's a mess, and I don't think anyone who's interested in using it primarily for HT should buy it right now. But they should keep an eye on it as the software improves, because the underlying hardware is capable of great things. It's not like a standalone blu-ray player where missing features are saved for next years model, so if you're at least interested in it's gaming capabilities you can enjoy that part now without fear of obsolescence.

post #110 of 155
My last word on this it's pretty much over for cable/satellite, but just beginning for HT IMO. Back on topic.
post #111 of 155
BD, It would take Sony 5 minutes to check to make sure 3D was functioning. They invented BD and they sell hundreds of thousands of 3D BD players for less than $90. I doubt even Sony would say it was too much work to do this.
post #112 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

BD, It would take Sony 5 minutes to check to make sure 3D was functioning. They invented BD and they sell hundreds of thousands of 3D BD players for less than $90. I doubt even Sony would say it was too much work to do this.

 

3D is functioning - the one game that supports 3D (Trine 2) works perfectly in 3D. There's more to playing back a 3D blu ray than just outputting a 3D signal.

post #113 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post


I understand your frustration with the backwards movement, but i'm curious why if playing media was the number one reason for buying the ps4, you didn't just buy a media box(or decent bd player, or build a net box...)

it just seems like pretty soon you'll be able to stream videos off your watch, everything is able to do this now. so spending 400bux on a ps4 to get this feature seems like a big expense. if you bought the ps4 to play games, the lack of media playback shouldn't be a deal breaker.

to be honest, i'm not sure what new Samsung tv you're buying that wouldn't be able to play movies off a usb all by itself???

 

Turns out you're correct fierce, I will be able to plug a USB or external HD into my TV and watch whatever I want so i'm all set in that respect. I just hadn't thought of that, this being my first smart TV purchase.

 

I was caught off guard when I read about the lack of media functionality on the PS4 and this was the first thing that came to mind. I'm still not entirely sure whether i'll keep it or not. I do need a blu ray player regardless and I also enjoy the occassional game as well. The media center functions made it a much easier sell to my wife.

 

Also, thanks for the warm welcome RicFlair. Turns out this place is like every other place on the internet. ; )

 

:::raises sheilds:::

post #114 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth1 View Post

Turns out you're correct fierce, I will be able to plug a USB or external HD into my TV and watch whatever I want so i'm all set in that respect. I just hadn't thought of that, this being my first smart TV purchase.

I was caught off guard when I read about the lack of media functionality on the PS4 and this was the first thing that came to mind. I'm still not entirely sure whether i'll keep it or not. I do need a blu ray player regardless and I also enjoy the occassional game as well. The media center functions made it a much easier sell to my wife.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome RicFlair. Turns out this place is like every other place on the internet. ; )

:::raises sheilds:::



Give AVS a chance (shields half power Mr. Chekov) and pay no attention to the "few" instigators as there are some VERY informed and helpful people on here! There are AVS moderators that will step in when need be wink.gif

Edit;
Welcome to AVS smile.gif
Edited by comfynumb - 11/17/13 at 10:27am
post #115 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post


Give AVS a chance (shields half power Mr. Chekov) and pay no attention to the "few" instigators as there are some VERY informed and helpful people on here! There are AVS moderators that will step in when need be wink.gif

Edit;
Welcome to AVS smile.gif

 

Believe it or not, the gaming subforums on AVS are usually more civilized than the rest of the forum. Probably because bans are handed out like candy at even the slightest hint of trolling or bickering over there. 

 

There's a ton of good info on the PS4 in the playstation subforum right now, especially the main PS4 thread.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/f/142/playstation-area  

post #116 of 155
I have too admit, this is the reason I am not a "pioneer", but a "settler" when it comes to gaming systems. I sold my PS3 4 months ago for $125. Big mistake on my part. Should have stuck to my original thinking and wait about 8-10 months after initial release to begin to "consider" either of these consoles.

So I went ahead about a used PS3 off of EBay for $138, and am going to use it for the foreseeable future. Puts me about $25 in the hole(bought a Bluetooth remote as well).

Either of these consoles will probably be really nice in the future. But the far future. When they cost about $100 less, and offer so much more. Never going to be a pioneer again. Not when it comes to gaming consoles, at least.
post #117 of 155
Well maybe I missed something but I have 3 PS3's none of which are used for gaming (being a PC gamer), and use them for everything else including 3D movies. I know at least 4 people that use their PS3 for CD's, BD, MP3 etc. etc. and consider the gaming just an added bonus.
post #118 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Nice analogy, sadly inaccurate.

Here's a better one:

I already own a Porsche, but it's four years old. My buddy wants to give me a new Porsche, but it doesn't have a leather interior, a good sound system or a nice paint job. But it goes zero to sixty one tenth of a second faster.

Sony made a mistake here, and while I own a PS4, I hope it costs them dearly if they don't own up to it and put out an update that brings back and enhances the media functionality the PS3 had.

this I think is the better analogy for sure.

it's unfortunate that the ps4 appears somewhat crippled and starved of features compared to the ps3. if we use the car thing, it's almost like building a track car vs a street car. obviously you give up some options and amenities on the track car to make it perform better. the only issue is, I don't see why that tradeoff would need to be made on the ps4. does mkv support make playing cod worse? does 3D bluray support negatively affect the online gaming experience?

from the consumers point of view, the lack of these features feels lazy at best, and makes me wonder if they are going to try and sell us these features as upgrades later on, or they just rushed the release date to beat xbox one and they had to leave a few things off the list to ensure the gaming experience was dialed in.
post #119 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth1 View Post

Turns out you're correct fierce, I will be able to plug a USB or external HD into my TV and watch whatever I want so i'm all set in that respect. I just hadn't thought of that, this being my first smart TV purchase.

I was caught off guard when I read about the lack of media functionality on the PS4 and this was the first thing that came to mind. I'm still not entirely sure whether i'll keep it or not. I do need a blu ray player regardless and I also enjoy the occassional game as well. The media center functions made it a much easier sell to my wife.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome RicFlair. Turns out this place is like every other place on the internet. ; )

:::raises sheilds:::

it's definitely a let down that the standard features of the last model(can't even say last year's model, it was almost a decade ago!) aren't supported yet. whether or not they will be, I don't know. it's just starting to feel like sony released the ps4 in beta stage, and they are going to use the funds from sales to produce a stable software update later. not exactly what I want to see...

on the other hand, I've personally been saying all these extra features are a waste and unnecessary to have them in bd players, TV's, games consoles, and nearly every other device made today. so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on sony for being the first one to actually do it. haha
post #120 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle la la View Post

Well maybe I missed something but I have 3 PS3's none of which are used for gaming (being a PC gamer), and use them for everything else including 3D movies. I know at least 4 people that use their PS3 for CD's, BD, MP3 etc. etc. and consider the gaming just an added bonus.

to put it blunt, you aren't the market sony is aiming at. and I think it's smart they aren't going out of their way to cater to it. you can get ps3 level media playing for a lot less than 400bux now. there's an entire segment of the market devoted to these types of devices. for the ps4 to compete in that market, it needs to be half the price. the only way they can get 400bux a console, is to make sure the gaming is worth it

the ps3 just kind of fell into that market segment AFTER price reductions, and deals on used ones could be found. I don't think many ppl spent 600bux for a launch console to use a bd player. and that was when bd players cost 400bux and up and didn't have built in wifi and media streaming support. now you can get that for about 100bux
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Latest Industry News
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › Sony PlayStation 4 Pre-Launch Previews and Reviews