or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › What Are Your Favorite Headphones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What Are Your Favorite Headphones? - Page 3

post #61 of 84
I'm going to agree with the V-Moda love. I did a lot of research before buying my M-80's, and I love them. Not the typical scooped sound signature on those models. Solid build too. I really want to get my hands the M-100's. They look awesome, and offer customizable options. Hard to beat.

Can't believe my first post on AVS was about headphones. Lol.
post #62 of 84
My favorites:

Office headphones: Sennheiser HD 380 pro - Very clean, accurate sound. Bigger and more comfortable over long sessions than the HD 280 (which are very good too). Closed back, so not much sound leakage. Good passive noise isolation while allowing me to still notice a knock on the door.

Travel headphones: Phiaton BT 310 NC. Comfortable "half in-ear" design. Best sounding BT headphones I've ever heard. Pretty good noise canceling - good enough to use as a BT headset in a convertible, but not as good one a plane as an over-ear NC model like the Bose QC 15 or PSB M4U. The trade off is worth it IMO because I can travel much lighter and still have a pair of NC headphones, but your mileage may vary.

Walking around: Apple Earpods [ducks]. Good sound for casual listening, easy to access remote, comfortable, cheap.
post #63 of 84
For casual use with a lot of different setups, the very respected Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones are one of the most popular/recommended headphones out there. I got mind close to $105 on sale, diffidently worth the money.

For open air, even though they are not really high end can's the Sennheiser HD 650 offers great audio performance for more serious listeners. cool.gif
post #64 of 84
Love the Audio Technica mh50 for value....great sound,snug,tight fitting and superb at the $100 plus level.
Also use a pair of Sennheisers HD228 mostly for mobile devices....pretty good sound but bass is weak and not to happy with the thin cord ....Looking for an additional pair that will be sturdier and more bass oriented although not made for extreme bass, ala Beats,Soul etc. My tastes are more prog,classic rock...any suggestions.
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post

Oddly enough, out of the several headphone I own, I really like my Sennheiser HD201s. They're relatively neutral and have a large over ear cushion. As a glasses wearer, I find many on ear phones to be uncomfortable and some over ears also. They press the arm of my glasses too hard against my head.
The cheap Sennheisers, however, don't do this. The cushion gives just enough. The best part of these phones is a good neutral sound for less the $20. In fact, I think the first pair I purchased was less than $10 on Amazon.

I'm seeing a bunch of different categories here...

Please everyone, also discus comfort of the phones you review.

Well this is awkward. I'm commenting on my own quote...

I took my original pair of HD201s out of my storage ottoman yesterday to use them. The ear piece material was extremely cracked and falling apart. I'm not sure what this is due to, but the phones have been taken care of pretty well, never left in the sun, etc. I'm now a little disappointed. I used them to watch TV (the wife was napping) and the sound was good, but I ended up with bits of exterior black stuff on me.

So get your reviews in because I need to put some headphones on my Christmas list.
post #66 of 84
Listening at home - Sony MDR-XB700 - sound great, a little on the large side
Travelling - Bose QC15 - for years I bought into the Bose hate on enthusiast forums. Then I actually tried a pair - great noise cancelling, very good sound. Sorry haters, it's a good product.
Gym - currently enjoying some Sennheiser in ear buds I got on Newegg for <$20 (msrp $90) - not sure of the model, but they're great.

I've tried SOO many buds for the gym, with very mixed results. The Koss models with the driver everyone raves about in the Portapro, I thought were terrible - no life, no bass, just flat, weak sound (including the Portapros). Suprisingly, some cheap Skullcandies were good until they broke, but some more expensive Skullcandies were awful - again no bass. I don't use expensive buds for the gym, just because the environment means they will have a fairly short life - too much sweat, stuffed into a gym bag, etc, so I'm always looking for that cheap hidden gem. The Sennheisers are terrific, and some Pioneers I have right now are also ok - just nowhere near as detailed as the Sennheisers.

All-time workout favorite - Sony MDR-A35G, or earlier variants. A headband style, sound is good if not great, could generally be found for <$25, semi-in ear, comfortable. Just an all around winner, but I don't see them anymore.
post #67 of 84
Sony MDR-V6
post #68 of 84
For non-critical listening, I like the Shure SE215. Up to 37 dB of isolation and deeper bass than other buds. Fairly comfortable for extended listening, too.
post #69 of 84
Grado sr60i with the S-cush, better than the 80's IMO.
And a close second goes to the Panasonic HDJ-2000, really fantastic headphones, i was surprised.

Of course these are best for Ipod, Laptop, and/or cheap dac/amp use, i dont have the $$$$ to talk about anything higher end.
post #70 of 84
I am surprised that so many mention the Sennheiser 800, but none so far the Sennheiser 700. Many reviewers agree that the 700 sounds almost as detailed as the 800, but has a little warmer flavor to it. For around $670 (less than half of the 800 price) this seems to be the one to get.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

I am surprised that so many mention the Sennheiser 800, but none so far the Sennheiser 700. Many reviewers agree that the 700 sounds almost as detailed as the 800, but has a little warmer flavor to it. For around $670 (less than half of the 800 price) this seems to be the one to get.

I've had them both, They were pretty similar. I personally wouldn't say warmer, i'd say laid back where as the 800's are a big more forward. I personally found the soundstage in the 800's better also. Then, theres the build quality.... 800's are superior in every single way possible, the 700's are all plastic and feel extremely cheap. I'd imagine the people like me that bought the 800's are not to worried about money.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

I am surprised that so many mention the Sennheiser 800, but none so far the Sennheiser 700. Many reviewers agree that the 700 sounds almost as detailed as the 800, but has a little warmer flavor to it. For around $670 (less than half of the 800 price) this seems to be the one to get.

Really? Many people who have heard the HD700 nearly hate them and think even the HD650/600 provide overall better sound. I'm pretty sure they are quite unfavorably reviewed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/1q6b15/insane_price_drop_on_sennheiser_hd_700_1000_650/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD700

This guy puts the HD700 way down at a C+ for value and rank 31 for overall sound quality while the HD650 and 600 are at rank 21 and 22 respectively. Meanwhile the HD800 is at rank 6 and still an A value.

I used to own HD600 and now own HD800 and only briefly heard the HD700 at CES last January. I can also say that there was something that just didn't sound right for the HD700 to me as well. I don't think they are good value even at their current $650 price and of course were a joke at their $1000 MSRP.
post #73 of 84
I like extended (but not exaggerated) bass, so I prefer the AKG A701 over even the best Sennheiser phones for critical listening at low to moderate levels. The 701 still has weak bass, but it's extended, and therefore more natural than many other open air phones.

For listening to rock music at higher levels, and for use in loud environments, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is the best I've found. It's not quite as good on subtle things, but the full range more than makes up for it. Deep bass response is extraordinarily accurate and not at all over whelming, just like a good full range loudspeaker system. If I was limited to one pair of cans, this would be it.

For earbuds I prefer the $15 Koss buds that can be found in many big box stores. Koss makes more costly buds, and they do sound better. But because I tend to break or lose these things often, cheap is fine.

I don't care for active cancellation because so far the passband of the active circuitry is much less than the entire audible spectrum. That makes the attenuation decidedly non-linear, and the sound is objectionable to me. Until this technology is perfected, I'll stick with closed back phones for noise abatement.

As with loudspeakers, having a good power amp to drive your headphones can make all the difference. My current favorite is a Crown D-75, which can also drive loudspeakers, and features an unattenuated headphone output. That last feature means that even difficult headphones can be driven to high levels...AT YOUR OWN RISK! Obviously this isn't something to have if there's a young person in the house. But if you're disciplined enough to keep the levels reasonable, it makes a killer headphone amp!
post #74 of 84
Favorite over-ear: Mr. Speakers Mad Dog v.3 (modified Fostex planar-magnetic headphone). Wonderfully neutral, well isolating, extremely comfortable. They quickly supplanted my other three full-size headphones (Senn HD-580 I've had since the mid-1990s and refreshed the pads/headband on in 2009 or 2010, Denon AH-D2000, AKG K550) as my go-to. Yes, Fostex could do the same thing for $100 or more less, because doing things right is a lot cheaper than taking something apart and fixing it. But they don't.


Favorite IEM: Apple In-Ear Monitor, aka "ADDIEM" In addition to being the cheapest (I think) dual balanced-armature driver IEM around, they sound great, measure like they sound, and have washable filters. See Tyll's measurements of one of my two pairs on innerfidelity.com, which are very consistent with the measurements posted on Apple's website. For more of my thoughts on the ADDIEM here's my blog post about them. Best with Comply "Whoomp!" foam tips.

Favorite cheap: Vi-Sang R-02 earbuds Forty bucks on Amazon. Dr. Earl Geddes recommended these, and wrote a review of them on Amazon. They do sound very good, almost like the ADDIEM. But they have a fairly large barrel and get uncomfortable for me after a while. If your ears can tolerate larger earbuds, these are the ones to get.

Best styling: KEF M200. Looks like a portly eighth note, and stays on the ear very well. I wrote "design" rather than styling because they do have a flaw: the cord should run through the tail of the note to reduce micro phonics. Also, the sound could be better: too much bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

How about a plug for this great $0.99 app, works on iPhone and google android
http://www.popsci.com/bown/2013/product/audyssey-media-player

The Audyssey app is basically useless for good headphones, e.g. ADDIEM, Senn HD-580. However, it's transformative on some headphones with nonlinear FR but ability to get loud and play low, such as AKG's K550 (once you get the seal right, at least). The annoying treble is fixed. They still don't have a filter for the KEF M200, though I bet those earbuds would likewise be transformed with good EQ. On the Apple EarPods that came with my iPhone 5S, it makes a marginal improvement. So if you have something like the K550, it's certainly worth a try. Otherwise, it's just a buck I guess.

Dirac also has a headphone EQ app IIRC. I've not tried it.
Edited by DS-21 - 11/24/13 at 10:51am
post #75 of 84
OPPO has announced the PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones which look interesting: release date early 2014

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM-1_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

Sennheiser HD280. Comfortable, good isolation, and good sound.

+1 for the Sennheiser HD280

I also use the Monoprice 9927 earbuds on the go. Amazing how good they sound for under $10.
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evazan View Post

Grado sr60i with the S-cush, better than the 80's IMO.
Grado SR60i. Those are my favorite headphones too.
I own also Audio-Technica ATH-909 and ATH-M2X (computer use).
post #78 of 84
I just bought a hifiman he-400 planar magnetic headphone. I will probably never buy another conventional driver headphone. They are the most detailed sound transducer i have ever heard. I never realized what made a good headphone until now. Speed, details and low distortion. Planar magnetic drivers simply don't seem to have a down fall to them that i have heard so far. Every conventional driver headphone i have owned seams to sacrifice something and none of them have had such a fast attack. I would still like to hear the hd-800 before i upgrade to another planar however.
Not a huge fan of the frequency response of this headphone however but it's neat. They were made v-shaped purposely.
I think i need the he-500.or he-6
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

My favorites:

Office headphones: Sennheiser HD 380 pro - Very clean, accurate sound. Bigger and more comfortable over long sessions than the HD 280 (which are very good too). Closed back, so not much sound leakage. Good passive noise isolation while allowing me to still notice a knock on the door.

+1. I have both 280s and 380s and prefer the latter.
post #80 of 84

Well, it isn't difficult: Bowers and Wilkins.... P7... Best quality ever...

post #81 of 84
where would be the best place to list a set of headphones for sale? Audio gear?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515689/denon-ah-d600-headphones
post #82 of 84

I have a pair of Ultrasone DJ1's... they must be about 6 or 7 years old but I still love them. They sound incredibly smooth, the highs slightly subdued but very clean/unmuddled.

 

The bass is also subtle, but prominent and not pumped up. When I produce very low sub-bass one of the drivers rattles a little bit now, I'm not sure if I can fix it, but its a very specific problem that does not come up very much.

 

The best part I think is how incredibly comfortable they are... big round cans that go all the way over my ears, I can wear them indefinitely and almost forget they are on my head. 

 

They aren't incredibly expensive and for a casual listener I highly recommend them because of how light weight/comfortable/sturdy they are. Their relatively neutral sound profile makes them good to listen to most kinds of music...

 

One time I tried out my friend's GRADO's though, I forget which ones... lower-middle end... and I heard sounds I never knew existed in a Radiohead track that I'd listened to countless times before. I was amazed at their ability to offer almost hyper-real sound, exposing parts of the mix most people will never hear. When I have enough money I'm definitely going to splurge on a good amp and some Grados... for those serious analytical lost in the sound times.

post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthetime View Post

I have a pair of Ultrasone DJ1's... they must be about 6 or 7 years old but I still love them. They sound incredibly smooth, the highs slightly subdued but very clean/unmuddled.

The bass is also subtle, but prominent and not pumped up. When I produce very low sub-bass one of the drivers rattles a little bit now, I'm not sure if I can fix it, but its a very specific problem that does not come up very much.

The best part I think is how incredibly comfortable they are... big round cans that go all the way over my ears, I can wear them indefinitely and almost forget they are on my head. 

They aren't incredibly expensive and for a casual listener I highly recommend them because of how light weight/comfortable/sturdy they are. Their relatively neutral sound profile makes them good to listen to most kinds of music...

One time I tried out my friend's GRADO's though, I forget which ones... lower-middle end... and I heard sounds I never knew existed in a Radiohead track that I'd listened to countless times before. I was amazed at their ability to offer almost hyper-real sound, exposing parts of the mix most people will never hear. When I have enough money I'm definitely going to splurge on a good amp and some Grados... for those serious analytical lost in the sound times.

Sometimes a hair or piece of lint on the driver can cause a rattle. You may just need to clean them. Worth a try...
post #84 of 84
What would you say over the AKG K550. I´ve been reading some reviews and it seems to give a big soundstage despite being closed back. It´s a bit pricey over the Senn HD entry level though...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Community News & Polls
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Community News & Polls › What Are Your Favorite Headphones?