or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hardware bought, now help me assemble this HTPC/RAID/DVR/Server...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hardware bought, now help me assemble this HTPC/RAID/DVR/Server... - Page 3

post #61 of 170
It's not the drivers because the system won;t even power up with the USB3 connected to the case front port.

It could be a messed up cable or something screwed in the case itself.

Whether you just accept this and just don;t use it or regard it as a fault thatmust be fixed is up to you. It could be a pain in the ass to pin down the exact problem and then probably involve returning the affected part for a replacement.

USB3 is nice to have because it's faster but USB2 is adequate for most needs.
post #62 of 170

If so- Windows is the best option for you as there is so much more you can do with it. Installing Flexraid into windows 7 or 8 or windows home server would make sense if you want an all in one machine.

tDO6ls

post #63 of 170
Thread Starter 
Since it powers up fine with the same cable from the front panel plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the MB with an adapter im leaning towards the MB.

Ill prob never need to transfer large files through the front.. I certainly wouldnt ever have a HD plugged in there.

Ill plug a USB device into the front and ensure it actually works today.
post #64 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Since it powers up fine with the same cable from the front panel plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the MB with an adapter im leaning towards the MB.

Ill prob never need to transfer large files through the front.. I certainly wouldnt ever have a HD plugged in there.

Ill plug a USB device into the front and ensure it actually works today.

I had a similar problem with a Silverstone Case I built in for someone. Silverstone uses a strange USB3.0 to 2.0 adapter thingy... And it might perhaps not be compatible with every motherboard ??? IDK ??

I would probably call Silverstone or Asrock first and trouble shoot. They could probably tell you if it's a compatibility issue- between your component or if you have a defect. If they suggest a defect you could order a replacement through newegg for free and swap out.

I believe I hard wired mine, I do recall throwing out the adapter thing because it was frustrating me.
post #65 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Yeah but his PC won't post when its plugged in so the drivers don't matter.

Right! This suggests it's either a defective case/USB plug adapter or port or it is a defective motherboard. Or- simply the case/adapter/USBport on the Silverstone is not compatible with that specific Asrock motherboard (odd)

Silverstone does that USB3.0 to 2.0 thing so that the case and the ports are compatible with both 2.0 and 3.0 configurations. I am guessing the problem is related to that.
post #66 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth View Post

It's not the drivers because the system won;t even power up with the USB3 connected to the case front port.

Did you download and install the latest USB3 drivers from the AsRock website, and try to reconnect?

It could be the drivers. On one board I had, I couldn't boot when I had a SSD and ODD connected to the SATA3 ports on the mobo. After disconnecting the ODD, so that only the SSD was attached, I was able to fire up the MOBO with no issues. I then attached the ODD to a SATA2 port to install windows, and after installing all the current drivers, I switched the ODD back to the SATA3 port and all was fine.

Don't dismiss the drivers! And, always try to use the latest drivers on the MFG's website whenever possible (though you'll probably need the LAN/NIC driver on the disk to get there wink.gif).
post #67 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

Did you download and install the latest USB3 drivers from the AsRock website, and try to reconnect?

It could be the drivers. On one board I had, I couldn't boot when I had a SSD and ODD connected to the SATA3 ports on the mobo. After disconnecting the ODD, so that only the SSD was attached, I was able to fire up the MOBO with no issues. I then attached the ODD to a SATA2 port to install windows, and after installing all the current drivers, I switched the ODD back to the SATA3 port and all was fine.

Don't dismiss the drivers! And, always try to use the latest drivers on the MFG's website whenever possible (though you'll probably need the LAN/NIC driver on the disk to get there wink.gif).

I don't think he even had an OS installed. It would not post from cold build.
post #68 of 170
Right, what I'm saying is that some ports may not be working properly without the correct drivers.

In my example with the SATA ports, I didn't have the OS installed either, and it was really by accident that I uncovered the problem.

I RMA'd the mobo three times before figuring out the issue, and why I couldn't power up.

I'm saying to either disconnect the USB3 header, or connect to USB2 if a USB port is needed, as he stated it works fine that way, install windows and latest drivers. After that is done, plug the USB3 header cable back in to see if that works.
post #69 of 170

It won't post when the USB3 cable is plugged in... it won't matter if drivers are installed or not because Windows hasn't even begun to load.

post #70 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

It won't post when the USB3 cable is plugged in... it won't matter if drivers are installed or not because Windows hasn't even begun to load.

THIS.


It won't even turn on. lol. No way to load a driver.
post #71 of 170
Right, again...unplug it.

If you need USB connectivity, use the USB2 ports on the back of the mobo at the top, closest to the PS2 connectors. Those are usually active.

You probably need the proper USB3 drivers to get the USB3 ports to function correctly.

I needed the SATA3 drivers for my Mobo to be able to post correctly as only using 1 of the 2 SATA3 ports would allow me to post, until i installed the proper driver. Now they both work.

After installing the driver, plug it in, and try to boot. If it works, great, if not, then it's time to RMA the board.

When building a new computer, it's best to only connect the essentials to get started. Add all your add-ons later.
post #72 of 170
If it wont post with that cable plugged in no amount of drivers will change that, period, drivers operate within the OS level, BIOS handles everything very simply before the OS loads and takes over.

Bill
post #73 of 170
Most BIOS's only natively support legacy USB and USB2, and not USB3.

All I'm saying is that it is worth giving it a shot. I don't know if it will work, it's just a suggestion.

I'm just going on my experience of building computers for nearly 20 years. Sometimes it comes down to things that make little to no sense, but it works.
post #74 of 170
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the help guys.

I did download the usb3.0 driver from asrock but I dont remember if I tried it again after I downloaded the latest driver.

Ill try to do that this weekend. This week is getting super busy with the holiday coming up :-/

Will somebody link me to the best download links for:

LAV Splitter

and

Graph Studio

and

Best MKV Ripper(Blu Ray Ripping Software)


I found a bunch but dont want to download a bunch of garbage to find the correct stuff.

So far MediaBrowser and MediaCenterMaster have been installed on a fresh system. I dont even have the two 3.0TB drives hooked up yet. I mistakenly thought that the drives would come with the SATAIII cables.... Guess the days of cables coming with the hardware are over, probably long over. Anyhoo the cables have been ordered and will be here next week.

My priorities are get the software installed and then start loading my media.
post #75 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post



Will somebody link me to the best download links for:

LAV Splitter

and

Graph Studio

and

Best MKV Ripper(Blu Ray Ripping Software)


I found a bunch but dont want to download a bunch of garbage to find the correct stuff.


http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Setup-and-usage

Shark007 is the best way to not have to download a ton of stuff and get it all installed correctly. Just install the 32 bit and the x64bit versions for your OS (windows 7) You need both 32 and 64. The only trick is to pay close attention at the beginning of the install package and DE SELECT the crap ware. You don't want any of that. If you do that, the rest should be easy (one single install )

I never do the graph studio thing. I never really thought that made much sense. You don't need that. Lav and all the codecs are all contained in the SHARK package in one neat interface. Someone wrote a good guide for Assassin on how to set up that he put up on his blog guides. (was it you Wiley165 ?) You can probably follow this here:

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcandmbsetup/#guide61
post #76 of 170
Thread Starter 
Thanks Mike!

I knew there must be an easy way! Ill do that in the next few days, right now im streaming some free TV!!

Thanks to you guys of course!



One thing that does suck though is volume normalization for online streaming GEEZ! Once i feed the HDMI through the AVR it has normalization but straight to the tv the volume is all over the place!
post #77 of 170
don't you have a late night mode ? Turn it on. lol. Most TV and AVR have some sort of compression setting. What are you streaming? Netflix ? Hulu ?
post #78 of 170
Thread Starter 
OK, Shark done now I need a BR ripper.

I think the software needs at least a few rips to get started?

Recommendations?
post #79 of 170
Thread Starter 
Installed Make MKV.

Im on a roll! Bahahahahhaha!
post #80 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post


Someone wrote a good guide for Assassin on how to set up that he put up on his blog guides. (was it you Wiley165 ?) You can probably follow this here:

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcandmbsetup/#guide61

No that wasn't me. I'm still learning the ropes myself on all the programs and nuances associated with an HTPC.
post #81 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Installed Make MKV.

Im on a roll! Bahahahahhaha!

Yup. MakeMKV. It's free in beta. When it stops working go into the makemkv forums and copy paste the new key. You are on a roll!



or

Like this perhaps:

post #82 of 170
Thread Starter 
Mike,

It was a straight stream off the Fox website in Chrome. Volume was all over the place!

Right now the HTPC is hooked straight to the TV I wanted to keep the connections as simple as possible in case I encountered problems. So far pretty smooth sailing except the minor USB 3.0 bootup issue.....

My avr has volume normalization and the Directv normally goes through it, I was just surprised how different the gain settings were between commericals and the website content......
post #83 of 170
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Installed Make MKV.

Im on a roll! Bahahahahhaha!

Yup. MakeMKV. It's free in beta. When it stops working go into the makemkv forums and copy paste the new key. You are on a roll!



or

Like this perhaps:



Bahahahahaha!

Im gonna steal those they rock! smile.gif
post #84 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Mike,

It was a straight stream off the Fox website in Chrome. Volume was all over the place!

Right now the HTPC is hooked straight to the TV I wanted to keep the connections as simple as possible in case I encountered problems. So far pretty smooth sailing except the minor USB 3.0 bootup issue.....

My avr has volume normalization and the Directv normally goes through it, I was just surprised how different the gain settings were between commericals and the website content......

My wife loves Netflix. We use that a lot. I sometimes stream NBC Sunday Night Football in bed on the ipad with my S4 ear buds when wife does not want to play the projector and surround (yes I have projector in bedroom biggrin.gif ) Since she got pregnant (twins are due May 30th) she is a lot less forgiving of the light and noise. I could go to the other room but I like just falling asleep. I also stream DirecTV sunday ticket on the ipad (mostly for picture in picture type effect while I watch the main game on the big screen)

But other than that- I really do not stream much. Probably just netflix basically and the audio seems pretty consistent with that. I never bounced around from different network sights. NBC seems good too, but I have little to compare it to since I use headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

No that wasn't me. I'm still learning the ropes myself on all the programs and nuances associated with an HTPC.

I forgot who it was. I know Assassin long did the old way (graph studio) which I believe is originally credited to THE MASTER (ReneTHX)

That dude is usually operating in a territory mortals can't go. He's been missing for a while (not the first time) but he is sorely missed. Really an amazing HTPC resource (probably the best IMO)

Later Assassin added the SHARK007 section, which I thought someone from around here wrote (or contributed) to doing it. I believe at that point Assassin had primary moved into XBMC for simplicity. MB and WMC really was a pain in the ass to set up right with codecs and stuff. You needed so many different things and setting up splitters, Lav audio and video... it all got confusing. Simple stuff like getting subtitles with direct VOB or changing audio tracks was a pain and hard to understand.

I do like the Shark007 pack because it's basically got it all and sets it up for you. Just make sure the crapware is deslected or your browser will get Hijacked eek.gif

I can't remember who really figured out the shark007 set up back then, but it's actually different today so I guess it does not matter. HTPC is getting easier as time goes by.

MB3 Theater is freakin really sweet. Just click it and boom. Done. MadVR.. XY filter, Reclock even.. all just works so easy. I am not sure if it's because I already have shark007 when I installed MB theater but it was really easy it it just worked. Not to mention live video backdrops are pretty sweet too:

I've been playing around with the MB3 Theater and it's "live backdrops" I had posted this earlier in another thread:(note I created a fake demo library for these videos, and removed my real media folders from the config)


Here is another: #2


Just a showcase of the live video backdrop options. biggrin.gif


Here is a TV show demo:



I think it's a cool effect.

I am not sure what the standard beta build of theater is now (I believe it's different than mine since I run the developer version and it changes almost daily) and I think the look has actually changed since I posted those videos recently but you get the general idea. I can't wait to see the final product (not just the alpha build) and see what happens when they add the themes and jazz it up. It's really raw now and it's already awesome. The scraper in MB3 server is pretty awesome too. It's way better IMO (even though I still love MCM)
post #85 of 170
Thread Starter 
Mike that looks sick! I hope I can get mine to do all that....

OK, so which version should I install of Medaibrowser?

The theater version or the Classic version? Remember I'm just getting started and will be up against a steep learning curve so the tweakers paradise might be too much for me all at once if it requires a lot of front end investment to get it to work proper.
post #86 of 170
Do you want to be inside or outside windows media center ?
post #87 of 170
Thread Starter 
Inside I think?
post #88 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Inside I think?

That's how I would have answered that same question biggrin.gif I'm sorry I don't know why I find this to be funny, I'll just be in the corner taking in all in.
No more interruptions redface.gif

Djoel
post #89 of 170
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I'm using Irule to control it mostly and it uses codes that are modified to control windows media center so I assume I would need to keep the MB running in WMC but I really am not sure. I searched their database for IP control codes for Media Browser but didn't find any.

I'll go ask in the Irule forum about control codes for the Theater version which is standalone. If I cant control it with irule that is a problem.
post #90 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

That's how I would have answered that same question biggrin.gif I'm sorry I don't know why I find this to be funny, I'll just be in the corner taking it all in.
No more interruptions redface.gif

Djoel

That's what she said. tongue.gif

Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Hardware bought, now help me assemble this HTPC/RAID/DVR/Server...