or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › JBL 3677 vs JBL 3722N for LCR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JBL 3677 vs JBL 3722N for LCR

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
Has anyone heard either one or compared the two? I have read several older posts, but if you have either, I'd appreciate any updated feedback you could share.

Going into a dedicated HT about 3000 cu sq ft. Planning to drive with a Denon 3312 at first, and add 3-channel amp later.

Which one would you recommend?
Edited by asoofi1 - 11/19/13 at 5:37pm
post #2 of 37
Thread Starter 
bump
post #3 of 37
Sorry but I would go for neither one.

First off, unless my math is off your room seems a bit on the small side for either of these. Both of those horns are fairly wide dispersion and given the size of the cabinets they will have to be placed closely together, which will make the channel separation worse.

I've heard the 3677, and I don't think you will be impressed. This was a design from the old Dolby SR days of matrix encoded optical sound. The high frequencies roll-off considerably from 12-20k. Optical soundtracks were not capable of much very high frequency content, so the design of this cabinet is to sound loud but not great.

I have not heard the 3722N, but again it is going to pose more problems. It's a larger cabinet and horn, so again spacing will be limited. Also, it is a 4 ohm load. I'd make VERY sure your Denon can handle it, as most AVRs are not capable of doing 4 ohms. Also, you will be severely underpowered, so you will have to watch your levels on playback. The design is newer than the 3677, and will be more capable of reproducing a modern digital soundtrack, but I just think there are way better options out there for the money. Now, if you were talking about building a 20 seat theater, I would say go for it, but 3000 cu ft is a bit small. Did you maybe mean 3000 sq ft instead?

Hope that helps, sorry if I rain on your parade a tad.
post #4 of 37

okay.This was a design from the old Dolby SR days of matrix encoded optical sound. The high frequencies roll-off considerably from 12-20k. Optical soundtracks were not capable of much very high frequency content, so the design of this cabinet is to sound loud but not great.

paXMwh

post #5 of 37
Ask MKTheater! He has tried the 3677.

See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353217/speaker-shootout
Edited by psgcdn - 11/23/13 at 9:32am
post #6 of 37
Thread Starter 
Very interesting feedback...I didn't know that the 3677 design was never updated to keep up with newer tech. A dealer I had spoken to had mentioned the crossovers were updated due to some issues, so I figured JBL was making updates through out the years.

What's a newer and updated 'pro' cinema model for JBL or any other 'small theater' speaker from another manufacturer?
post #7 of 37
It is about how wide and how far back you will be listening. The 3722N will be better but it also should for more money.
post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It is about how wide and how far back you will be listening. The 3722N will be better but it also should for more money.

If I go with 2 rows in a wide room configuration, the first row will be a minimum of 10 feet from the screen. The second row, or primary if only have one row, will be about 14 feet away.
post #9 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noise850 View Post

Sorry but I would go for neither one.

First off, unless my math is off your room seems a bit on the small side for either of these. Both of those horns are fairly wide dispersion and given the size of the cabinets they will have to be placed closely together, which will make the channel separation worse.

I've heard the 3677, and I don't think you will be impressed. This was a design from the old Dolby SR days of matrix encoded optical sound. The high frequencies roll-off considerably from 12-20k. Optical soundtracks were not capable of much very high frequency content, so the design of this cabinet is to sound loud but not great.

I have not heard the 3722N, but again it is going to pose more problems. It's a larger cabinet and horn, so again spacing will be limited. Also, it is a 4 ohm load. I'd make VERY sure your Denon can handle it, as most AVRs are not capable of doing 4 ohms. Also, you will be severely underpowered, so you will have to watch your levels on playback. The design is newer than the 3677, and will be more capable of reproducing a modern digital soundtrack, but I just think there are way better options out there for the money. Now, if you were talking about building a 20 seat theater, I would say go for it, but 3000 cu ft is a bit small. Did you maybe mean 3000 sq ft instead?

Hope that helps, sorry if I rain on your parade a tad.

I appreciate the honest feedback, so don't worry about making it rain. The room size is 15'9" x 20'5" x 9(H).

You mentioned there are better options for the money...Any specific ones you recommend I take a look at?
post #10 of 37
If $1.2k per speaker wasn't going to break the bank when you were looking at the 3722N and you like JBL, then I would look at the LSR series, specifically the 6332. This is what all of the studios use in home release mastering. They have great clarity through the dialog range, excellent high frequency response and are very close to being a full-range speaker in a small enclosure. I've heard/worked with them both behind a screen and behind acoustically transparent fabric and they work well in both scenarios. The mid-highs are capable of good dispersion in a room our size without the need to go horn-loaded.

If you are dead-set on going horn loaded, then we probably need to know your max budget to look at all the options. However, if you are willing to give the LSR a chance, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.
post #11 of 37
Just curious, were the JTR Noesis speakers ever considered?
post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noise850 View Post

If $1.2k per speaker wasn't going to break the bank when you were looking at the 3722N and you like JBL, then I would look at the LSR series, specifically the 6332. This is what all of the studios use in home release mastering. They have great clarity through the dialog range, excellent high frequency response and are very close to being a full-range speaker in a small enclosure. I've heard/worked with them both behind a screen and behind acoustically transparent fabric and they work well in both scenarios. The mid-highs are capable of good dispersion in a room our size without the need to go horn-loaded.

If you are dead-set on going horn loaded, then we probably need to know your max budget to look at all the options. However, if you are willing to give the LSR a chance, I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

I've spoken to a few dealers and they are ready to sell for hundreds less than the retail price of 1200 each. As far as budget, I think I could stretch the LCR budget to 3k if the performance justified it. Right now I can get the JBL 3722N for under 3k shipped.

I really want more of the cinema like sound, hence the choice to go with horns. But you have certainly piqued my interest in the LSR 6332 and I'll have to find a way to audition them. If not for the HT, then could use in a family room if I like the sound. Thanks!
Edited by asoofi1 - 11/27/13 at 1:25pm
post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Just curious, were the JTR Noesis speakers ever considered?

I never heard of them before so will have to read up on them. Do the Noesis compare well to the JBL pro line?
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

I never heard of them before so will have to read up on them. Do the Noesis compare well to the JBL pro line?

I think they certainly do. At least to the speakers you are considering. They will go as loud as you can ever want, and sound phenomenal doing it. But don't take my word for it, I strongly suggest you ask any questions you have in the official JTR thread. Ask them how they compare and all about the JTR speakers. It's a very active thread and they are all very helpful. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/13140

Here's a picture of the JTR Noesis 212ht, right out of said thread:



And here's a link to the speaker on JTR's website with the specs

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/noesis-212ht/
post #15 of 37
Did you end up going with the 3722Ns? Im saving for them or maybe just the 3677 for LCR.
post #16 of 37
I have three JBL 3677's being setup right now for LCR duty in my theater room. If I ever find time this month to finish the front stage construction, I can give my impressions once they are setup and dialed in.
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Did you end up going with the 3722Ns? Im saving for them or maybe just the 3677 for LCR.

Not yet. I've been spending the last month reading through the entire JTR thread. It's made me even more gun shy. Since it's so hard to demo both JBL pro and JTR locally, I can only go by reviews and try to find a pattern that is close to what sounds good to me.

I've also been looking at the 4722N ($1700), since it's close to the JTR 212HT, which goes for above $2200. The JTR 212 seems to be edging out...everyone love them for HT, but even in the music department as many compare performance to many high end consumer speakers (Revel, B&W, etc).
post #18 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

I have three JBL 3677's being setup right now for LCR duty in my theater room. If I ever find time this month to finish the front stage construction, I can give my impressions once they are setup and dialed in.

Awesome...would love to hear your thoughts. Especially since someone mentioned earlier 3677 was 'older' technology, I became hesitant: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500580/jbl-3677-vs-jbl-3722n-for-lcr#post_23985729
post #19 of 37
I had original JTR triple 8's and then went to 3622N's





I liked the JBL pro better! The Noesis is supposed to be better so I have no idea there.
post #20 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I had original JTR triple 8's and then went to 3622N's

I liked the JBL pro better! The Noesis is supposed to be better so I have no idea there.

Yeah, the 3622N/3722N are even less in cost. I'm surprised no one has done any A/B of JBL pro line vs JTR Noesis line...both seem like a great value for serious HT.
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Yeah, the 3622N/3722N are even less in cost. I'm surprised no one has done any A/B of JBL pro line vs JTR Noesis line...both seem like a great value for serious HT.

Forum member Notnyt likes his 4722N better than Danley SH-50's.
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Awesome...would love to hear your thoughts. Especially since someone mentioned earlier 3677 was 'older' technology, I became hesitant: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500580/jbl-3677-vs-jbl-3722n-for-lcr#post_23985729

I wouldn't worry about that.....the 12kHz roll-off actually helps in home theater use as it tames the highest frequencies so there is little "harshness", evident by the multiple home reviews I have read which say these can be played really loud in a small space without any listening fatigue or harshness experienced. Not to mention, much like an LFE track can go up to 120Hz but rarely ever does, movie soundtracks rarely ever go as high as 15-20kHz so it's not like you are missing anything.

A great review can be found here.
post #23 of 37
The 3722N and 4722N don't have the roll off but also don't sound harsh.
post #24 of 37
I should say the roll-off is around 12kHz for the 3677's.....the room EQ graph I saw involving this roll-off was post-ARC calculations, so it could even roll-off a little higher or lower, not exactly sure. Either way, all indications I have read say they sound fantastic. Time will tell once my room is ready for them and I take a listen for myself smile.gif
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post

Awesome...would love to hear your thoughts. Especially since someone mentioned earlier 3677 was 'older' technology, I became hesitant: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1500580/jbl-3677-vs-jbl-3722n-for-lcr#post_23985729

I read this as well and it made me hesitate and push me closer to choosing a SEOS design instead. I keep thinking that even if the additional HF is not widely utilized I would constantly be feeling like I am missing something...especially for music listening.
post #26 of 37
I have the JBL 8340a's for surround duty that have the high frequency "x-curve" roll-off and they sound better than my CHT SHO-10s that don't have a high frequency roll-off. I did lots of AB-ing between the two.

JBL pro cinema designs in my opinion are anything but old fashion designs. Tho they were designed years ago nothing major has been discovered in audio besides new auto cal technology and new materials used for drivers. Drivers used in them are still constantly used by DIYers and are incredible drivers such as the JBL 2226j woofer. Or the awesome JBL 2242 subwoofer.
Edited by Reddig - 1/2/14 at 10:37am
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I have the JBL 8340a's for surround duty that have the high frequency "x-curve" roll-off and they sound better than my CHT SHO-10s that don't have a high frequency roll-off. I did lots of AB-ing between the two.

JBL pro cinema designs in my opinion are anything but old fashion designs. Tho they were designed years ago nothing major has been discovered in audio besides new auto cal technology and new materials used for drivers. Drivers used in them are still constantly used by DIYers and are incredible drivers such as the JBL 2226j woofer. Or the awesome JBL 2242 subwoofer.

I agree. Though I have not listened to mine yet, from the researching I have done and the knowledge AVS has allowed me to learn, I would definitely say the JBL's are not "old fashioned" or "out of date".

Also excited because I went with the 8350's for surrounds (same price as the 8340a's)...so it sounds like I am in for a treat biggrin.gif
post #28 of 37
Nice man the 8350s can handle lots of power! Great choice.
post #29 of 37
SHO-10 vs 8340A as surrounds?
post #30 of 37
Ya 8340s projected sound better across my seats and just filled my room more. Seems the downward tilt helped from the JBL Quickmount also. YMMV. Never tried the 8340s as mains tho. Think you did tho right?

Edit: should mention I use my Onkyo NR-809 AVR to power my surrounds.
Edited by Reddig - 1/2/14 at 12:20pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › JBL 3677 vs JBL 3722N for LCR