or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Polk RTIA vs. EMP Tek
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polk RTIA vs. EMP Tek - Page 2

post #31 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 View Post

Any sub $10,000+ tower (likely more than that) won't give out anything near what a quality sub(s) will. These subs (PSA and SVS) will extend down to the teens with authority, while the RTi's will likely get to about 50hz with authority, but likely higher distortion and amp load on your avr/amp also. Kind of an apples and oranges thing.

My wife just reminded me she needs money for Christmas shopping, if I was gonna build this slowly and could only add ONE speaker, would you add a subwoofer or the matching center to the RTIA9s...right now?

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


But if I do keep the RTIA9, like you mentioned earlier.  Would a lesser sub like the SVS PB-1000 (and going dual) vs the one bigger PSA XV15 be a better setup for the RTIA9s since it has a better bass output?

Seems the question has been answered. smile.gif

But to reiterate, the bass response of the speakers does not come into play when using good sub as you will be wanting to set them to small and use a crossover.

The EMPs and a pair of PB1000s now would be a great solution at it's only $150 more than a single XV-15.
post #33 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post


Seems the question has been answered. smile.gif

But to reiterate, the bass response of the speakers does not come into play when using good sub as you will be wanting to set them to small and use a crossover.

The EMPs and a pair of PB1000s now would be a great solution at it's only $150 more than a single XV-15.


Sorry...got it.  So in comparing the Polks to the EMPs, I should be looking at which gives the best clarity in mid- and high-range, since the low range will be taken care by the sub?

post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


Sorry...got it.  So in comparing the Polks to the EMPs, I should be looking at which gives the best clarity in mid- and high-range, since the low range will be taken care by the sub?

Yes. Although if you're like me and others you may enjoy listening to music in stereo without the subs. Which I do occasionally as my Klipsch have quite a bit of bass, or enough for me with certain types of music like blues, jazz vocal, soft rock etc....
post #35 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post


Yes. Although if you're like me and others you may enjoy listening to music in stereo without the subs. Which I do occasionally as my Klipsch have quite a bit of bass, or enough for me with certain types of music like blues, jazz vocal, soft rock etc....


Since you don't own any of these, but heard any of these, which would you suggest for more movie?  I listen to music like hawaiian, reggaie, soft rock, and pop (my 3 daughters)...

post #36 of 66
The EMP speakers are excellent in midrange! Whether that is the midrange driver, the crossover electronics, or other...I don't know. If you want towers that produce great bass, the EMPs ain't it. But the midrange and low mid are excellent and the highs are clear and laid back (not bright!)
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


Since you don't own any of these, but heard any of these, which would you suggest for more movie?  I listen to music like hawaiian, reggaie, soft rock, and pop (my 3 daughters)...

I would suggest Klipsch of course biggrin.gif

Super efficient, and according to my ears, great with movies and music, which brings me to a point-

Only YOU can know what sounds good to YOU. Everyone here can tell you how good the speakers sound or that they prefer one to another but we are not you. That is why it is fairly important to listen to as many different speakers as you can before buying, or buy from vendors that have in home trial periods with little or no shipping charges or restocking fees.

I was a little worried about music with Klipsch speakers before buying them. The last time I demoed some they sounded harsh in the room they were in.

So I bought from Crutchfield who has a liberal 60 day trial period with free or $10 shipping for returns. I don't have anywhere to listen to speakers like you guys in the mainland or even Oahu.

So go out and listen to some more if you can. And BTW the Fry's in Vegas is a dump. I've been there 3 times and have never been able to demo a working pair of speakers, either only one works, none works or they're not hooked up at all. The employees are mostly.....well I won't go there.

BTW I'll be in Vegas the first week of December.
post #38 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post


I would suggest Klipsch of course biggrin.gif

Super efficient, and according to my ears, great with movies and music, which brings me to a point-

Only YOU can know what sounds good to YOU. Everyone here can tell you how good the speakers sound or that they prefer one to another but we are not you. That is why it is fairly important to listen to as many different speakers as you can before buying, or buy from vendors that have in home trial periods with little or no shipping charges or restocking fees.

I was a little worried about music with Klipsch speakers before buying them. The last time I demoed some they sounded harsh in the room they were in.

So I bought from Crutchfield who has a liberal 60 day trial period with free or $10 shipping for returns. I don't have anywhere to listen to speakers like you guys in the mainland or even Oahu.

So go out and listen to some more if you can. And BTW the Fry's in Vegas is a dump. I've been there 3 times and have never been able to demo a working pair of speakers, either only one works, none works or they're not hooked up at all. The employees are mostly.....well I won't go there.

BTW I'll be in Vegas the first week of December.


Yeah these Polk's are my first, I probably should order the EMP speakers since they have a 30 day trial with free shipping both ways.  I have another 3 weeks before I get a full refund if I decide to return it to Frys.  How many speakers did you try out before deciding on the Klipsch?  I did feel that way about the Klipsch speakers too when I was in the Fry's showroom.  I didn't know better though.  I thought I knew what I wanted until I came unto this forum and I'm glad I did. lol

 

What island are you from?  You vacationing here in Vegas?

post #39 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

The EMP speakers are excellent in midrange! Whether that is the midrange driver, the crossover electronics, or other...I don't know. If you want towers that produce great bass, the EMPs ain't it. But the midrange and low mid are excellent and the highs are clear and laid back (not bright!)


What do you mean by bright?

post #40 of 66
I used to have RTi12's (same as your 9's, basically) and I did NOT like the top end on them. I thought the tweeter itself was poor, or the implementation of it in the crossover design. Either way, it sounded very brittle and sibilant to me. And I LIKE a detailed top end (I like most of Klipsch's compression/horn stuff). The EMP's are a completely different beast. Top end is pretty laid back. Good midrange, however. And more than enough on the bottom end (IMO) if you want to listen to music in direct mode, which I prefer. Well, unless you're listening to pipe organ music and hard-hitting rap/hip-hop.

As others have said, it all depends on the kind of sound you prefer.
post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

If I go the Polk route, I would eventually need an external amp to help power the RTIA9s (200W or 300W).  Would I need an external amp to help the HK 3700 (125W) power the E55Ti's?

The rtia9 are 91db efficient, vs 88db for the EMPs. Plus, the EMP are 6 ohm speakers vs 8 ohm for the Polk. 3db difference equals twice the power you need to power them to the same volume. So if anything you would need an amp for the EMPs. The Polk have real wood veneer vs vinyl wrap on the EMP. If you like the sound of the Polk speakers, you should keep them. Some people don't like the Polk sound, but if you do, they are just higher end speakers. The EMP are great for the money, but they would only be the better choice if you just don't like the Polk sound, or if the money is a big factor in your decision. Either way, you'll have a great set of speakers, good luck with your decision!
post #42 of 66
A lot of people in the Polk Owner's thread say the RTiA speakers really benefit from a healthy amount of power, so I would say it depends on your listening habits. My EMPs will play louder than I care to listen with just a 80WPC receiver from 10' away, so unless you are in a big room or want to blast it, the receiver should be plenty.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post


.  How many speakers did you try out before deciding on the Klipsch?  I did feel that way about the Klipsch speakers too when I was in the Fry's showroom.  I didn't know better though.  I thought I knew what I wanted until I came unto this forum and I'm glad I did. lol

What island are you from?  You vacationing here in Vegas?

I've demoed, Def Tech, B&W, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, Polk and Klipsch on various times and locations. But in my home I've had (and still do) a pair of 20 year old B&W 201 bookshelves, my previous HT setup of 5 NHT SuperZeros and my current setup. So not that many. I am very happy with the Klipsch.

FBI wink.gif

Vegas will be for work.
post #44 of 66
Bright (also forward) is often used to describe speakers that are treeble-heavy, where warm is used to describe speakers that are bass-heavy. For instance, cheaper Klipsch speakers and other cheaper spakers with horn tweeter, are often considered a bit bright. Some people really like it, because it can also be described as accurate and detailed at the high end. other think that bright speakers can cause listening fatigue...
post #45 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Bright (also forward) is often used to describe speakers that are treeble-heavy, where warm is used to describe speakers that are bass-heavy. For instance, cheaper Klipsch speakers and other cheaper spakers with horn tweeter, are often considered a bit bright. Some people really like it, because it can also be described as accurate and detailed at the high end. other think that bright speakers can cause listening fatigue...

I agree with you on 'bright', but not on warm. Well...kinda don't agree. I've seen 'warm' used to describe a bass/midbass hump leading to a 'warmer' sound due to the bloat AND I've hard 'warm' being used in relation to treble that rolls off quicker than normal (aka...not flat).
post #46 of 66
Bright has more high frequency content than dark and dark has less. You can assign that to any drivers you like. Usually dark speakers roll off the highs. The EMP are a bit on the dark side but not a lot. They have wonderful midrange. and somewhat quiet bass. I support the bass in mine with a touch of subwoofer and that makes them sound just like high end speakers.
post #47 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post


The rtia9 are 91db efficient, vs 88db for the EMPs. Plus, the EMP are 6 ohm speakers vs 8 ohm for the Polk. 3db difference equals twice the power you need to power them to the same volume. So if anything you would need an amp for the EMPs. The Polk have real wood veneer vs vinyl wrap on the EMP. If you like the sound of the Polk speakers, you should keep them. Some people don't like the Polk sound, but if you do, they are just higher end speakers. The EMP are great for the money, but they would only be the better choice if you just don't like the Polk sound, or if the money is a big factor in your decision. Either way, you'll have a great set of speakers, good luck with your decision!

Knowing I already have the Harman Kardon 3700 (7.2 125W), will I need to get an external amp to power the front 3 speakers?  Regarding the "db" and "ohm", what does it all mean in my decision one over the other, performance wise?

post #48 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

Knowing I already have the Harman Kardon 3700 (7.2 125W), will I need to get an external amp to power the front 3 speakers?  Regarding the "db" and "ohm", what does it all mean in my decision one over the other, performance wise?

The 3700 drops off in power a lot with 5 or 7 channels driven. This type of draw doesn't happen often in real use but just be advised.

Best thing is to try your system with just the AVR and see how it sounds. U may find u don't need any more power.

I have only 50 watts and rarely go above -15db volume since I got my klipsch.
post #49 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The 3700 drops off in power a lot with 5 or 7 channels driven. This type of draw doesn't happen often in real use but just be advised.

Best thing is to try your system with just the AVR and see how it sounds. U may find u don't need any more power.

I have only 50 watts and rarely go above -15db volume since I got my klipsch.

Is that common with all receivers or just the HK?
post #50 of 66
91db vs 88db in that room wont make that much difference.




Also take a look at ascend and arx speakers.
Edited by losservatore - 11/23/13 at 11:26am
post #51 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

91db vs 88db in that room wont make that much difference.

Thank u...what about the 6ohm vs ohm difference in the speakers? What does that do/mean?
post #52 of 66
I don't know how accurate the spec of that hk receiver are ,but I recommend Denon or marantz they are very strictly with their spec . just get a receiver with plenty of power don't worry too much about the rest .


How far is your seating from the tv ,pictures will be more helpful ,any open areas?.
post #53 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I don't know how accurate the spec of that hk receiver are ,but I recommend Denon or marantz they are very strictly with their spec . just get a receiver with plenty of power don't worry too much about the rest .


How far is your seating from the tv ,pictures will be more helpful ,any open areas?.

Room: 15' D x 23' W x 8' H

Seating is 13' away

post #54 of 66
Don't worry about the AVR. Use it and if u feel u need more power you can add an amp. The 3700 is a nice AVR at the price u paid.
post #55 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post


The 3700 drops off in power a lot with 5 or 7 channels driven. This type of draw doesn't happen often in real use but just be advised.

Best thing is to try your system with just the AVR and see how it sounds. U may find u don't need any more power.

I have only 50 watts and rarely go above -15db volume since I got my klipsch.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Don't worry about the AVR. Use it and if u feel u need more power you can add an amp. The 3700 is a nice AVR at the price u paid.


That's good to know.  So the drop off in power isn't anything to worry about like "clipping", especially using it on the RTIA9s?  I'm only going up to 50% of the volume cause I'm afraid of clipping it...don't know how distortion sounds like so I'm just avoiding it! lol

post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post




That's good to know.  So the drop off in power isn't anything to worry about like "clipping", especially using it on the RTIA9s?  I'm only going up to 50% of the volume cause I'm afraid of clipping it...don't know how distortion sounds like so I'm just avoiding it! lol

50% of the volume doesn't mean anything. Without 5 speakers I don't think the EZSetEQ works so auto setup is out.

Set your volume display to the -db scale. Normal listening volume should be between about -30 to -40db, this would be for like TV or light music.

It should be fairly loud by -20db and loud at -10db.

You'll know distortion when you hear it, mostly in the highs.
post #57 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

50% of the volume doesn't mean anything. Without 5 speakers I don't think the EZSetEQ works so auto setup is out.

Set your volume display to the -db scale. Normal listening volume should be between about -30 to -40db, this would be for like TV or light music.

It should be fairly loud by -20db and loud at -10db.

You'll know distortion when you hear it, mostly in the highs.

Ok thank u
post #58 of 66

I know you guys have been primarily discussing HT in this thread but I just got a pair of the Emp Tek E55i's with the intention of using them for 2 or 2.1 channel classical music listening. I haven't bought a sub yet. I was hoping to get away with not having to buy a sub. Do you think the bass of the Emp Teks would be too underwhelming for classical and jazz music? If so, can I make do with the e10i? This is for a 400-500 sq ft L shaped living room. 

post #59 of 66
^^^^^^I recommend you to make a new thread.
post #60 of 66
Thread Starter 
Update: it's been 2 weeks now since I picked up these RTIA9s as the first pieces of my HT system. I had to give back the HK3700 but got my $600 back...so I bought a Pioneer SC-1222 at Costco for $400! I am leaning towards keeping the RTIA9. I'm loving the power of the bass as well as the highs and mid range. Maybe it's my virgin audiophile ears but I don't hear the "brightness" of these speakers. Or maybe that's what my ears like!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Polk RTIA vs. EMP Tek