or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › 4K projectors under $3K
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4K projectors under $3K - Page 3

post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

They still need HDMI 2.0 which the current JVC does not have. Probably next year.

The jvc projector this year is said to have the same chips that is 10gbps as the 4k Sonys
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

The jvc projector this year is said to have the same chips that is 10gbps as the 4k Sonys

It still has HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0 on the Sony.
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It still has HDMI 1.4 vs 2.0 on the Sony.

They rate it as 1.4 even though it is 10gbps as the Sonys. They are able to do 4k60p with the same chips. This is what I heard, it could be true. Also, the fact that they do not have hdcp 2.2 is the reason that it can't play movies from the Sony server. So, even if it was hdmi 2.0 or 2.whatever, it would not play movies from the Sony server. It does take a 4k input to display 3840x2160p at 60hz
Edited by blee0120 - 1/24/14 at 3:40pm
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

They rate it as 1.4 even though it is 10gbps as the Sonys. They are able to do 4k60p with the same chips. This is what I heard, it could be true. Also, the fact that they do not have hdcp 2.2 is the reason that it can't play movies from the Sony server. So, even if it was hdmi 2.0 or 2.whatever, it would not play movies from the Sony server. It does take a 4k input to display 3840x2160p at 60hz

What you say may be true but it will not play movies from the Sony server and probably other new 4k sources at 60fps.

HDMI 2.0 specs.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/hdmi-2-0-official-4k-60fps-32-channel-audio/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423946,00.asp
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

What you say may be true but it will not play movies from the Sony server and probably other new 4k sources.

HDMI 2.0 specs.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/

Jason did some 4k test with his htpc and the jvc displayed them in 4k with the 4k input. Since the 4k blu ray standard is not finalized, we really don't know what will work. If we get unprotected 4k like some get on their htpc, the jvc will display it at 4k60p
post #66 of 74
Hopefully we get the full 18Gbps chips in the next projectors
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Just because its not native 4K, does not mean its doesn't provide the resolution. So, it still provides a 4k image

That's EXACTLY what it means... Just because a 720P projector can accept a 1080P signal does not mean it is a 1080P projector. All of the information above 720P essentially gets "thrown away" as it is downscaled. Same with a 4k signal going down to JVC's e-shift.

E-shift is halfway between 1080P and 4k, since it only doubles the resolution of 1080P as I understand it.
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

That's EXACTLY what it means... Just because a 720P projector can accept a 1080P signal does not mean it is a 1080P projector. All of the information above 720P essentially gets "thrown away" as it is downscaled. Same with a 4k signal going down to JVC's e-shift.

E-shift is halfway between 1080P and 4k, since it only doubles the resolution of 1080P as I understand it.
Not really, this is more similar to wobbulation used by DLP with early 1080p models.

JVC is doubling both horizontal and vertical resolution to generate a full 3840x2160 matrix with e-Shift technology.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL102123&feature_id=02

I'm not calling this the same as native UHD, but it isn't just a doubling which is going on and it does not throw information away. If you feed this projector 3840x2160 then it utilizes and projects all the pixels.

I would call it a solid step up from what you are describing, but a step down from full UHD.
post #69 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

With announcements at CES that 4K TV's and PC monitors available for less then $1000 later this year, I can see 4K projectors hitting less than $3K in 1-2 years easily.

I still can not see 4k projectors being $3K or less. It just doesn't seem possible. 4k blu rays are probably 1.5yrs away, then probably 3-4 years before we even get a reasonable amount to purchase. DLPs are not even on the works and when they start, it will be expensive. So, for everyone hoping for the cheaper DLPs to come out with an under $3K projector is going to be waiting. Even the high end DLPs, which will be first to hit the 4K consumer market, are at least 2 years away. That leaves Sony, JVC, and Epson. Epson has no 4k projector in the works and if they did, they wilk not price it lower or the same as their 1080p model. I'm sure they will want to make money instead of losing money. Sony in 2011 came out with the 1000es for $25K, then in the 500/600es for $15k in 2013. Why would they have one for less than $3k in 2 years? JVC eshift models are $5k+, makes no sense for them to have a native 4k projector in 2 years for less than $3K.

With basically no 4k content, its going to be hard for the projector market to price projectors in the entry level 1080p price range. There is more that goes into a 4k machine than a 2k machine.
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I still can not see 4k projectors being $3K or less. It just doesn't seem possible. 4k blu rays are probably 1.5yrs away, then probably 3-4 years before we even get a reasonable amount to purchase. DLPs are not even on the works and when they start, it will be expensive. So, for everyone hoping for the cheaper DLPs to come out with an under $3K projector is going to be waiting. Even the high end DLPs, which will be first to hit the 4K consumer market, are at least 2 years away. That leaves Sony, JVC, and Epson. Epson has no 4k projector in the works and if they did, they wilk not price it lower or the same as their 1080p model. I'm sure they will want to make money instead of losing money. Sony in 2011 came out with the 1000es for $25K, then in the 500/600es for $15k in 2013. Why would they have one for less than $3k in 2 years? JVC eshift models are $5k+, makes no sense for them to have a native 4k projector in 2 years for less than $3K.

With basically no 4k content, its going to be hard for the projector market to price projectors in the entry level 1080p price range. There is more that goes into a 4k machine than a 2k machine.
Your arguments mirror, almost word for word, what was said when 1080p projectors first came to market.

You may not believe it, but I fully expect it to come to pass. It follows the course of history with electronics. It's close to the same argument people had with HD DVD vs. Blu-ray and how expensive BD players were when they came out, then a couple of years later had dropped 80%+ in price.

Yes, the price will drop, yes it will happen quickly, yes LCD and DLP chips will come to market, yes they will come out $5,000 or under the first year, and $3,000 and under the second year.

Quote me, I certainly could be wrong, but I don't expect to be. But, we will know in about 18-24 months. No, not next January! But, 18-24 months. A great deal rides on HDMI 2.0 rollout and if Epson and TI will deliver UHD chips by the end of this year.
post #71 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Your arguments mirror, almost word for word, what was said when 1080p projectors first came to market.

You may not believe it, but I fully expect it to come to pass. It follows the course of history with electronics. It's close to the same argument people had with HD DVD vs. Blu-ray and how expensive BD players were when they came out, then a couple of years later had dropped 80%+ in price.

Yes, the price will drop, yes it will happen quickly, yes LCD and DLP chips will come to market, yes they will come out $5,000 or under the first year, and $3,000 and under the second year.

Quote me, I certainly could be wrong, but I don't expect to be. But, we will know in about 18-24 months. No, not next January! But, 18-24 months. A great deal rides on HDMI 2.0 rollout and if Epson and TI will deliver UHD chips by the end of this year.

We will see. If Sony and JVC are the only projectors that are 4K this year, I think I'm gonna be right. I doubt Song or JVC will bring $3k 4k projectors out anytime soon, so it will be up to cheaper DLPs and Epson. I don't doubt the cheaper DLPs will have a $3K or less 4k projector, I just doubt that TI will have 4k chips ready by that time.
post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

We will see. If Sony and JVC are the only projectors that are 4K this year, I think I'm gonna be right. I doubt Song or JVC will bring $3k 4k projectors out anytime soon, so it will be up to cheaper DLPs and Epson. I don't doubt the cheaper DLPs will have a $3K or less 4k projector, I just doubt that TI will have 4k chips ready by that time.
For all my ragging on you about this. I agree completely that if LCD or DLP doesn't get into the 4K game this year, it will likely be pushed back. I don't think first year DLP/LCD will be under $3K, but I think 2nd year will be.
post #73 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

For all my ragging on you about this. I agree completely that if LCD or DLP doesn't get into the 4K game this year, it will likely be pushed back. I don't think first year DLP/LCD will be under $3K, but I think 2nd year will be.

I think it might be possible in 3 years if TI makes a consumer chip for 4k. There aren't too many LCD projectors being made, so its going to be hard for the projector market. Panasonic and Mitsubishi has apparently left the consumer market, so I doubt they would come back for something even harder to sell. Hopefully JVC and Sony can in 3 years in 2017
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

I also think it's interesting all the big panels are 2.33:1 AR. I'm sure some people are going to be totally confused at how they now have black bars on the SIDES of the image while watching 1.78:1 content.

1. People will just stretch the image like they have always done. We will bitch about it...the cycle of life goes on.

2. I think one reason they are going wider is getting these things through a door, around corners, down stairs, etc. Unless you live in an open concept ranch...well, that is different.

3. I think another but more probable reason is that the "height" of a panel is getting difficult to manage on machines. However, going longer might not be as difficult. So they take advantage that there is a lot of SCOPE content out their and let their marketers go nuts with rationalized excuses. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › 4K projectors under $3K