or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup - Page 18

post #511 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Exactly. How are these people not getting this? Consoles have always been a fixed closed boxed environment that lasts years. People spend hundreds of dollars with the promise of better and more games to come in the future. No need to worry about new systems you have to buy to get the best experience. The thinking that MS will come in and disrupt this makes zero sense.

You guys can argue this all you want, the current console market design is not going to change. Get it out of your imaginations.

what's not to get is that almost all consoles have change during their lifecycles. for the 'general' public a slicker box with a quieter fan and better reliability might actually be more significant(see 360's battle with Rrod for example of this). but there have been upgrades to hardware as well. sometimes to fix problems, sometimes to improve performance(like n64's expansion pak that was REQUIRED for a couple games, and improved the performance of several others). IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE. now it's fine if you still think it'd be a bad move or that they won't do it. but don't blatantly criticize the ones who think they might do it AGAIN with the new consoles. as I said in my last post, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of How Much?

what we are suggesting is not new, it's not radical, and does not go against the console market historically. in some ways, it's expected and the norm. the only thing 'needed' for a console is to make sure every game made for it runs on a launch console(note, I didn't say it had to run it's 'best') even if that's with required accessories(expansion pak, Kinect, psmove, special controllers, Nintendo glove, etc)
post #512 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I see two ways that MS could realistically pull off a mid-cycle refresh that improved performance.

pull a page from Nintendo(n64 expansion pak) and offer something that plugs into the old consoles to boost performance(a usb gpu, or ram, or whatever is needed)
I can think of two times this has been done commercially. The sega 32x and the nintendo expansion pack which was additional memory. Neither of these was really a market success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

release a prestigious console not for the masses. if they released a xbox one 'elite' that was completely decked out(maybe even add more hdmi inputs and that junk too) and sell it for like 800bux.
The problem with either of these ideas is unless there was a massive market base for these products very few people would actually develop to take advantage of them.

Honestly, the big question I have is how many people will care about the difference in graphics between the PS4 and the One. Either way, the One will be a nice step up from the 360.
post #513 of 903
exactly. I tried ps4 and xbox one and decided on the xbox. I loved what it does. I have an all in one box that is an excellent game console , sure ps4 may be graphically superior. but I just loved the xbox interface and the kinect . it signs me in, hell says hello. I have dead rising 3 and voice commands work perfectly. I think you have to try it and decide. its personal preference. if I had taken online opinion as gospel I would of not got an xbox, and I would have missed out on something I love.
post #514 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I see two ways that MS could realistically pull off a mid-cycle refresh that improved performance.

pull a page from Nintendo(n64 expansion pak) and offer something that plugs into the old consoles to boost performance(a usb gpu, or ram, or whatever is needed)
I can think of two times this has been done commercially. The sega 32x and the nintendo expansion pack which was additional memory. Neither of these was really a market success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

release a prestigious console not for the masses. if they released a xbox one 'elite' that was completely decked out(maybe even add more hdmi inputs and that junk too) and sell it for like 800bux.
The problem with either of these ideas is unless there was a massive market base for these products very few people would actually develop to take advantage of them.

Honestly, the big question I have is how many people will care about the difference in graphics between the PS4 and the One. Either way, the One will be a nice step up from the 360.

The huge advantage of the Xbox One over the PS4 is that Kinect is bundled with every console. That means although it's a bit slower in terms of fillrate than the PS4 (I should know, I program games for both of them), the fact that Kinect is included means I can make a feature on Kinect and know that every single of the current 2 million Xb1 owners out there can run it, and I can even build entire games to take advantage of its FAR superior capabilities, and make a game experience that ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS what you get using a controller, which, let's face it, is antiquated and obsolete.

Well, Ps4 has a touch pad, but most devs won't design around it. However, devs that do want to make a more immersive (why doesn't Chrome recognize this word? lame), interactive game, using either camera, needn't worry that the PS4 has the remotest chance of even being equal.

I'm a huge fan of Kinect, it's just that most games for it sucked in the 360 generation, because most big studios (other than Ubisoft), completely ignored it. And even Ubisoft is still making crappy Kinect menu systems. I mean, really Ubisoft? Still using the "hold your hand up in the air for 10 seconds until it "clicks" regimen from Shape?).
post #515 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bays View Post

exactly. I tried ps4 and xbox one and decided on the xbox. I loved what it does. I have an all in one box that is an excellent game console , sure ps4 may be graphically superior. but I just loved the xbox interface and the kinect . it signs me in, hell says hello. I have dead rising 3 and voice commands work perfectly. I think you have to try it and decide. its personal preference. if I had taken online opinion as gospel I would of not got an xbox, and I would have missed out on something I love.

Dead Rising 3 is an absolute BLAST!! I was screaming and yelling like a frightened school girl at Carrie's prom nite with all the zombies surrounding me and I managed to barely escape, several times.

Do me a favor, pick up a BenQ w1070 projector, you will thank me. Ryse is also wicked cool, very good controls on that one. Although the developer was extremely lame to only support controller for fighting. I guess they haven't figured out how to make a game yet that supports both inputs well. (that's from an interview with the studio head, why they went with controller instead of Kinect)
post #516 of 903
The Fighter Withing on the Xbone actually looks like it could have been a fun fighting game if it had responsive controls but instead they went with Kinect controls which simply are far less responsive and far less accurate than traditional button input controls. They could perhaps patch in traditional responsive controls to make it a good game.

I like the idea of the motion tech for some things but it simply isn't responsive enough for many types of games. Something like fitness games where it doesn't require precision and responsive controls mimicking your on screen trainer. Watching you to see if you are roughly doing the same exercises, and keep track of your reps done.

Voice commands I find cool in some cases but that isn't something that Kinect is needed for (it's been in PS2 games even).

Packaging in tech with every console doesn't guarantee anything either as we learned from Sony's Sixasxis controller. Sure they tried to push it on the earlier games but eventually it became very rare for games to include sixaxis motion controls.
Edited by freemeat - 1/6/14 at 9:16am
post #517 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

The huge advantage of the Xbox One over the PS4 is that Kinect is bundled with every console. That means although it's a bit slower in terms of fillrate than the PS4 (I should know, I program games for both of them), the fact that Kinect is included means I can make a feature on Kinect and know that every single of the current 2 million Xb1 owners out there can run it, and I can even build entire games to take advantage of its FAR superior capabilities, and make a game experience that ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS what you get using a controller, which, let's face it, is antiquated and obsolete

I'm left scratching my head at that last one, because it simply hasn't come to fruition yet (Which is part of the problem for many of us). Can you let us know of a title that fits that bill?

Sometimes new tech is both interesting and superfluous. From what I've heard Kinect does make using the XB1 UI much, much easier, but the UI itself is needlessly complex and was built around Kinect rather than a much simpler intuitive design. Thats short of putting the carriage before the horse. I can see the need though, as you don't want a UI design that is actually the same or better with a controller when asking people to buy into Kinect.

The big issue IMO is the lack of examples and ideas by developers. Kinect is there to use in 100% of the systems, but no one knows seems to have figured out that awesome sauce integration into AAA games that justify its hefty premium. Voice control can be done with a simple mic or headset, and moving through game menus isn't a justification for 20% markup on a console. The biggest uses it's seen is in casual motion control games that don't appeal to the hardcore / AAA gamers, or to researchers outside of game development.

It's one reason why MS needs to work much closer with publishers to flesh out just how it can be used to complement the main input device on the console for gaming, which is still the XB1 controller. Just putting it in 100% of the systems isn't enough/

As Sony with both their Sixaxis and now their touch pad (which due to tablets/smartphones already has a lot of inspiration to draw from; which STILL wasn't used much for launch!).
post #518 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm left scratching my head at that last one, because it simply hasn't come to fruition yet (Which is part of the problem for many of us). Can you let us know of a title that fits that bill?

Sometimes new tech is both interesting and superfluous. From what I've heard Kinect does make using the XB1 UI much, much easier, but the UI itself is needlessly complex and was built around Kinect rather than a much simpler intuitive design. Thats short of putting the carriage before the horse. I can see the need though, as you don't want a UI design that is actually the same or better with a controller when asking people to buy into Kinect.

The big issue IMO is the lack of examples and ideas by developers. Kinect is there to use in 100% of the systems, but no one knows seems to have figured out that awesome sauce integration into AAA games that justify its hefty premium. Voice control can be done with a simple mic or headset, and moving through game menus isn't a justification for 20% markup on a console. The biggest uses it's seen is in casual motion control games that don't appeal to the hardcore / AAA gamers, or to researchers outside of game development.

It's one reason why MS needs to work much closer with publishers to flesh out just how it can be used to complement the main input device on the console for gaming, which is still the XB1 controller. Just putting it in 100% of the systems isn't enough/

As Sony with both their Sixaxis and now their touch pad (which due to tablets/smartphones already has a lot of inspiration to draw from; which STILL wasn't used much for launch!).

That's what kind of surprised me most. They launch a system with mandatory Kinect bundled in the major differentiating factor from there main rival. Quite a bit less powerful but it does have Kinect which puts it significantly more expensive than their rival. They don't launch with any killer must have Kinect centered games. I would have expected that would have been a big goal from their first party studios, get something that really showcases Kinect for gaming at launch. Perhaps that wasn't their goal, perhaps the focus of Kinect was truly to show you can do Skype and other non-gaming things like that?

Nintendo with the Wii launched with the Wii Sports and that was huge.
Edited by freemeat - 1/6/14 at 9:29am
post #519 of 903
Ugh, long posts posted from a phone come out like crap. Sorry about that.

For the love of me I'm still scratching my head why a 1:1 lightsaber Jedi Knight game hasn't made an appearance on any console; kinect or move based.

Seems like a no brainer. But my guess is implementing the kind of control people expect is a lot tougher than either company is letting on. Lack for tactile feedback, lag, how to control everything else; all huge problems for motion control systems.

They're all still in their infancy, which is why right now I feel they're nothing but gimmicms. A sort of prelude to better thought out systems that will strive to actually be game changers.

Take a look at the path VR has taken the last 30 years... And were still not there. Voice command is also still in its infancy. We got a long way to go to get to the science fiction vision of smart computers we can interface with via voice communication.
Edited by TyrantII - 1/6/14 at 11:04am
post #520 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Ugh, long posts posted from a phone come out like crap. Sorry about that.

For the love of me I'm still scratching my head why a 1:1 lightsaber Jedi Knight game hasn't made an appearance on any console; kinect or move based.

Seems like a no brainer. But my guess is implementing the kind of control people expect is a lot tougher than either company is letting on. Lack for tactile feedback, lag, how to control everything else; all huge problems for motion control systems.

They're all still in their infancy, which is why right now I feel they're nothing but gimmicms. A sort of prelude to better thought out systems that will strive to actually be game changers.

Take a look at the path VR has taken the last 30 years...

You didn't play this Kinect game? I have.. it is horrible.

Edited by freemeat - 1/6/14 at 11:22am
post #521 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Ugh, long posts posted from a phone come out like crap. Sorry about that.

For the love of me I'm still scratching my head why a 1:1 lightsaber Jedi Knight game hasn't made an appearance on any console; kinect or move based.

Seems like a no brainer. But my guess is implementing the kind of control people expect is a lot tougher than either company is letting on. Lack for tactile feedback, lag, how to control everything else; all huge problems for motion control systems.

They're all still in their infancy, which is why right now I feel they're nothing but gimmicms. A sort of prelude to better thought out systems that will strive to actually be game changers.

Take a look at the path VR has taken the last 30 years... And were still not there. Voice command is also still in its infancy. We got a long way to go to get to the science fiction vision of smart computers we can interface with via voice communication.

Wii sports resort basically had a light saber game, and it was kind of awesome. I had a blast with it single and multiplayer.
post #522 of 903
Was that 1:1 though? Only thing worse than lag in motion control is pre-canned actions based on gestures. A LOT of Wii's motion control stuff was simply that (swing through the whole motion, or flick the wrist, didn't really matter). The Star Wars Kinect game turned out much the same, after giving that presentation above where they tried to make it seem like you had 1:1 control over everything.

Neogaf got to it first and slowed it down to show the dev was mimicking the game, not the other way around!

tongue.gif
post #523 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

what's not to get is that almost all consoles have change during their lifecycles. for the 'general' public a slicker box with a quieter fan and better reliability might actually be more significant(see 360's battle with Rrod for example of this). but there have been upgrades to hardware as well. sometimes to fix problems, sometimes to improve performance(like n64's expansion pak that was REQUIRED for a couple games, and improved the performance of several others). IT'S BEEN DONE BEFORE. now it's fine if you still think it'd be a bad move or that they won't do it. but don't blatantly criticize the ones who think they might do it AGAIN with the new consoles. as I said in my last post, it's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of How Much?

what we are suggesting is not new, it's not radical, and does not go against the console market historically. in some ways, it's expected and the norm. the only thing 'needed' for a console is to make sure every game made for it runs on a launch console(note, I didn't say it had to run it's 'best') even if that's with required accessories(expansion pak, Kinect, psmove, special controllers, Nintendo glove, etc)

Console rivisions happen all the time, yes, but never in the form of new specifications. You're talking about having one box with better looking games than the other. No console owner will ever share the same performance again. That's one of the best things about the console market. Closed boxed environment. Developers love it too which is why 8 years after this generation started will still got games that look amazing.


Tyrant, are you a Gaf member? Your name looks familiar.
post #524 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Was that 1:1 though? Only thing worse than lag in motion control is pre-canned actions based on gestures. A LOT of Wii's motion control stuff was simply that (swing through the whole motion, or flick the wrist, didn't really matter). The Star Wars Kinect game turned out much the same, after giving that presentation above where they tried to make it seem like you had 1:1 control over everything.

Neogaf got to it first and slowed it down to show the dev was mimicking the game, not the other way around!

tongue.gif

Yeah, it was def 1:1 with motionplus.
post #525 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post

I can think of two times this has been done commercially. The sega 32x and the nintendo expansion pack which was additional memory. Neither of these was really a market success.
The problem with either of these ideas is unless there was a massive market base for these products very few people would actually develop to take advantage of them.

Honestly, the big question I have is how many people will care about the difference in graphics between the PS4 and the One. Either way, the One will be a nice step up from the 360.

I don't remember the expansion pak being anything other than awesome and exciting personally. when it first came out we bought the game it was packaged with(I think star fox?) just to get the expansion pak. I hated star fox...

what's changed this gen is how pc-like the consoles are. game developers have been 'tuning' games for different performing systems for years. what I'm suggesting would not make life more difficult for programmers. what I'm suggesting is that ps4 and xbox 'elite' games would be direct ports, and the xbone ports would be scaled down as they need to be anyway. an 'elite' version would not require more programming, unless it exceeded the performance of the ps4, and even then, programmers could just leave games at ps4 levels and consumers would still be getting better than the standard xbone.

I'm still stuck at looking at this from MY perspective. and that is that I like progress, and as long as the old console is not left behind, it's ONLY a good thing. ie, I didn't buy a launch console, because I still like my 360 and ps3. and chances are I won't upgrade them until the games I want are no longer available for them. if the xboxone was just a reboot of the 360, I would have actually preferred that. it wouldn't have made my 360 less useful, it would have made it more useful. that way I could continue being content, but not get left behind as my friends upgrade, buy new games, and play on servers I can't connect to.

the DOWNSIDE to this, would be the xbone games having to play on 360 consoles. something that would obviously hinder performance. but if the lower performing model is the base, making a better xbone would not hurt the performance of the current consoles or the games made for it. my 360 will not suddenly have terrible graphics just because the xbone has been released.
post #526 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Console rivisions happen all the time, yes, but never in the form of new specifications. You're talking about having one box with better looking games than the other. No console owner will ever share the same performance again. That's one of the best things about the console market. Closed boxed environment. Developers love it too which is why 8 years after this generation started will still got games that look amazing.


Tyrant, are you a Gaf member? Your name looks familiar.

again, within reason, this HAS and COULD be done again. the n64 expansion pak improved visual performance on several games, and was required to play a couple of them. it directly affected how the console played the game.

I think you may be correct that wouldn't want to release a better spec'd console only, but if they released one in conjunction with some plug in addition to bring the old ones up to spec, I don't think that's would be odd at all. it's done for features all the time, connectors, wifi, memory storage, etc.

as for developers, wouldn't they love it even more if they only had to program to one performance(that of the current ps4) instead of two?
post #527 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, it was def 1:1 with motionplus.

i'll confirm this, was really fun(although pretty basic) as well.

I would also agree with the statement made earlier that the motion control stuff is probably not up to what MS is promising. I think the reason the wii managed it was because of the handhelp controller. that's got to eliminate a ton of lag, and that's really important for this type of thing. 1:1 is important, but if there's a noticeable lag even that won't really matter. currently it does feel like there is too much lag with motion controls for most 'hardcore' games. but the potential is still exciting, and I think there's enough 'just for fun' games to keep the tech progressing.

I think it would be pretty interesting if you got to play FPS without a standard controller. either a gun(controller), or your pointed finger(haha) with a 'thumb trigger'. you could launch one type of grenade with your right hand, another with your left hand. head tracking could help you look around. voice controls would have to be flawless as well, since you'd need to rely on them for many things as well. imo, the goal should be to find a way to make playing from the couch better. I mean I enjoy the Kinect games, for like 20mins, then I just want to sit on the couch and play the old way again. Metroid on the wii, was one game where I actually saw an improvement in couch play with 'motion controls'. using the wiimote to aim and shoot felt better without being gimmicky. it gave me hope for something a little more refined in the future that could finally make FPS 'better' on a console than with a mouse and keyboard. how amazing would that be?
post #528 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

again, within reason, this HAS and COULD be done again. the n64 expansion pak improved visual performance on several games, and was required to play a couple of them. it directly affected how the console played the game.

I think you may be correct that wouldn't want to release a better spec'd console only, but if they released one in conjunction with some plug in addition to bring the old ones up to spec, I don't think that's would be odd at all. it's done for features all the time, connectors, wifi, memory storage, etc.

as for developers, wouldn't they love it even more if they only had to program to one performance(that of the current ps4) instead of two?

I remember Perfect Dark requires it to play the campaign as well as changing the mutiplayer mode. I loved that game back in the day, wish there was a good sequel.
post #529 of 903
I stepped away from this thread for a couple of weeks and had a lot to catch up on!

The hardware upgrade discussion was interesting, but changing the core specs for console hardware has never happened (and I doubt it ever will). This is one of the primary advantages of console gaming over PC gaming (and it's one of the main reasons I hesitate to call the upcoming Steam Box a "console").

I do think the various hardware iterations from the previous generation were very telling. Sony stripped out features with each iteration of the PS3 (remember that the original had SACD support, hardware-based backwards compatibility, etc). I have a 160 GB Slim, and my parents have a slightly newer version of the Slim that they keep at their house for the grandkids. On their version of the Slim, they even stripped out most of the LED lights, so it's very difficult to tell if it's turned on. Considering that Sony, along with all Japanese electronics companies, is struggling mightily, I'm not surprised that they try to squeeze every penny out of each console. However, as a consumer it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Microsoft, on the other hand, improved the X360 with each iteration (adding HDMI support, built-in wifi, etc). It will be interesting to see how this generation pans out, especially if Sony's financial condition gets even worse.

I also like the fact that Microsoft was constantly updating the X360 interface (although I think its current iteration is cluttered and confusing). Sony was content to stick with the XMB throughout the PS3's lifetime, and has a very similar interface for the PS4. Considering the strong starting point for the Xbox One's interface (it's far less cluttered than the current 360 interface and very intuitive to use, with or without voice commands), I'm excited to see how they can improve it in the years to come. I'm envisioning Minority Report-style control of my X1. biggrin.gif

The bottom line (for me) is that my X1 gets used daily, while my PS4 collects dust, waiting for some good games to come out. That tells me that for my particular use case, MS nailed it.
post #530 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

I do think the various hardware iterations from the previous generation were very telling. Sony stripped out features with each iteration of the PS3 (remember that the original had SACD support, hardware-based backwards compatibility, etc). I have a 160 GB Slim, and my parents have a slightly newer version of the Slim that they keep at their house for the grandkids. On their version of the Slim, they even stripped out most of the LED lights, so it's very difficult to tell if it's turned on. Considering that Sony, along with all Japanese electronics companies, is struggling mightily, I'm not surprised that they try to squeeze every penny out of each console. However, as a consumer it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Microsoft, on the other hand, improved the X360 with each iteration (adding HDMI support, built-in wifi, etc). It will be interesting to see how this generation pans out, especially if Sony's financial condition gets even worse.

Really? Which are more important features? HDMI and wifi or Linux/SACD/PS2 support? I get it how one is adding features and other is taking away over time, but day one, HDMI and WIFI are clearly more mainstream needs than the ones PS3 removed. As a 80 GB Fat owner and a super slim owner, I've never even used the ones you claim are "penny pinching" measures. Linux, sacd or PS2 support were great selling points, I just never used them. I suspect 98% of the world is the same way.

Maybe if you listed the reduction of USB ports, but I can still do full guitar hero games and haven't run out yet. Plus hubs are cheap if I did.

XMB also didn't stop with PS3/4. It's also in some sony cameras, WEGA/Bravias, and blu-ray players. It's pretty simple and effective, but not conducive to huge Media file directory browsing. Not much is however.

But I get it, you love the Xbox! smile.gif
post #531 of 903
I tend to agree. for the most part, the things removed from the ps3 were logical reductions to greatly reduce the size and cost to consumers. backwards compatibility when the console is first released is huge. backwards compatibility when no more ps2 games are even being made, not so important...

the reduced usb ports does bug me though, I absolutely can not use the standard ps3 controllers, and each 3rd party controller I plug in requires a usb input.

it still comes down to what one poster said 800 pages ago... Sony is a hardware company and MS is a software company. and I think the above comments really support that. sony has proven to built more reliable and more powerful hardware(both ps3 and ps4), and MS has proven to provide more frequent updates to its OS, and arguably was managed to use it's hardware more efficiently(the 360 was ALMOST as good as the ps3 graphically even though it's should not have been on a hardware only comparison)

but hey, it wouldn't be a fun debate if the same console had the best hardware, the best software, the most ambitious upgrades and cost the least... tongue.gif
post #532 of 903
I know I probably come across as pro-MS and anti-Sony, but I don't really have any loyalty to a particular brand/console. I have owned nearly every console produced in the last 30 years. There has always been compelling software to pull me into each console (well maybe not the Jaguar; what a mistake that was). Anyhow, the PS4 is just a big disappointment to me. They stripped out features from the PS3 that I used often (the primary offender being DLNA support), and didn't add anything to the experience that interests me. Sure, the hardware specs are great, but none of the games released thus far has impressed me.

I probably should have waited for a "killer app" before I bought the PS4 (like I usually do), but I think the pent up anticipation from waiting 7-8 years between console generations got the best of me. biggrin.gif
post #533 of 903
I hear that. I had a PS4 on preorder over 75% paid off, but decided to wait until at least later this year to buy. I've still got plenty of games to play through still on the PS3. Buying assassins creed 4 on the "old" platform killed me at first, but the differences today are small. That wont be the case forever...
post #534 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

but hey, it wouldn't be a fun debate if the same console had the best hardware, the best software, the most ambitious upgrades and cost the least... tongue.gif

Don't bring the PC into this. smile.gif

Even though I think the PS4 is decent hardware for the price, it's still a closed platform and the list of things that you can't do is epic. You can do whatever the hell you want on PC, and now that there's a solid couch interface and 90% of console games are ported with controller support, it's not the same comparison it used to be. I have one PC that serves up games in three rooms, and it was a lot cheaper than three PS4s.

To give you an example...yesterday I was playing a game from 2009 (crysis 2, yay BC), that I don't even own (steam family sharing FTW) in 1080p/60/3D....with a dual shock 4. Installed in one button press to a 2TB HDD/64GB SSD hybrid drive. Then I turned the TV off, walked into my office and fired up a mouse/KB game on the same PC. Its also available on XBLA for 360 (MTG 2014), except it only cost me $3.99 instead of $14.99. And it's requirements are low, so I ran it in 4K downscaled to 1080p, just because I could. Later that night I went down to the man cave and fired up outlast. That's coming to PS4 eventually, but I was playing with a dual shock 4 in 1080p/60 today. I doubt it'll run at 60fps on the PS4. And it only cost me $7 IIRC.

I haven't even turned on the ps4 in weeks...it's collecting quite a bit of dust. I'm honestly not sure when I'll turn it on again.
Edited by bd2003 - 1/7/14 at 9:10am
post #535 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I tend to agree. for the most part, the things removed from the ps3 were logical reductions to greatly reduce the size and cost to consumers. backwards compatibility when the console is first released is huge. backwards compatibility when no more ps2 games are even being made, not so important...

the reduced usb ports does bug me though, I absolutely can not use the standard ps3 controllers, and each 3rd party controller I plug in requires a usb input.

it still comes down to what one poster said 800 pages ago... Sony is a hardware company and MS is a software company. and I think the above comments really support that. sony has proven to built more reliable and more powerful hardware(both ps3 and ps4), and MS has proven to provide more frequent updates to its OS, and arguably was managed to use it's hardware more efficiently(the 360 was ALMOST as good as the ps3 graphically even though it's should not have been on a hardware only comparison)

but hey, it wouldn't be a fun debate if the same console had the best hardware, the best software, the most ambitious upgrades and cost the least... tongue.gif

LOL! I'm the one who said "Sony is a hardware company and Micro$oft is software company..." Glad to see that people actually read my posts. LOL!
post #536 of 903
I've been reading a lot of posts saying that people have been having problems with the Kinect on the XBO. I printed out the commands (2 pages worth) and when said correctly it works. Problem is, there's no leeway. It has to be said verbatim in order for it to work. They need to update the voice vocabulary to how people normally speak. In America you have people from different backgrounds and different accents so Microsoft needs to incorporate that into their voice vocabulary library. My wife hates it as it didn't do what she told it to do but now she's learned and speaks according to the list I printed out. Now she's able to navigate it pretty well. The Kinect on XBO is pretty impressive and makes me excited about the future of technology.
post #537 of 903
Very impressive. I wonder how many they could have sold if they were not so supply constrained. I still have not seen a PS4 in stock at a retail store.


Edited by freemeat - 1/7/14 at 9:54am
post #538 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Don't bring the PC into this. smile.gif

PC's are by FAR the most expensive(assuming you are keeping 'up to date' in order to meet those other criteria)
post #539 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahsiK View Post

I've been reading a lot of posts saying that people have been having problems with the Kinect on the XBO. I printed out the commands (2 pages worth) and when said correctly it works. Problem is, there's no leeway. It has to be said verbatim in order for it to work. They need to update the voice vocabulary to how people normally speak. In America you have people from different backgrounds and different accents so Microsoft needs to incorporate that into their voice vocabulary library. My wife hates it as it didn't do what she told it to do but now she's learned and speaks according to the list I printed out. Now she's able to navigate it pretty well. The Kinect on XBO is pretty impressive and makes me excited about the future of technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bdXctq7DM

tongue.gif
post #540 of 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Very impressive. I wonder how many they could have sold if they were not so supply constrained. I still have not seen a PS4 in stock at a retail store.


on the other hand, if you DID see one, wouldn't you be really tempted to buy it?

sometimes a little less supply can create a whole lot more demand wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Latest Industry News
AVS › AVS Forum › News Forum › Latest Industry News › Xbox One and PlayStation 4 Roundup