or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Dune HD Smart D1 and Networking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dune HD Smart D1 and Networking

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello all

I got a Dune Smart D1 with a 3TB hard drive in the belly and i was wondering how to do a certain thing. My Dune Player is on the house Network and the Dune even if it is not open it is still on the stand by mode. So if i have another TV in the house and witch is on the house Network is it possible to get the movies from the 3TB Dune player to play on any TV witch is on the House Network. Or do i need anything to make this work.

Thanks all
post #2 of 17
The Dune is available on the network for SMB sharing of it's connected drives. It also has a setup option for adding a DNLA server. Whether either of those things is available from another networked device depends on that device and its capabilities. Some TVs support DNLA, most do not but they might also have an application available which will. You might also wind up adding another media box for each TV, which would be able to access the Dune easily.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The Dune is available on the network for SMB sharing of it's connected drives. It also has a setup option for adding a DNLA server. Whether either of those things is available from another networked device depends on that device and its capabilities. Some TVs support DNLA, most do not but they might also have an application available which will. You might also wind up adding another media box for each TV, which would be able to access the Dune easily.




Thanks for the reply but i would need just a bite of help as my english is not to good since i am in Quebec yeh i know Ses la vie

What is DNLA server and how can i set this up

Thanks
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroke View Post

Thanks for the reply but i would need just a bite of help as my english is not to good since i am in Quebec yeh i know Ses la vie

What is DNLA server and how can i set this up

Thanks

As far as the Dune is concerned, its in the setup options. As for DNLA in general, Google is your friend. AKA UPnP.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

As far as the Dune is concerned, its in the setup options. As for DNLA in general, Google is your friend. AKA UPnP.


Hello all again

Do need help again

Got my friend's HD Smart D1 with a nice 2TB in the belly all installed and on the network running fine. Now i can also get into his computer to see the other drives witch he has on those drives other stuff like pictures and of course other movies as well.

Now he has a second TV up stairs in his second living room witch is on the network also thru another media player but not as good has Dune of course so what should i look for on this media player so i can get into the Dune player witch is downstairs in the standby mode. Been at this last night a few hours and just gave up on it. Now i am well rested so back to it.

Thanks all and waiting for any help i can get on this

T Hanks in advance
post #6 of 17
Make sure the Dune is set for software standby and not powered off. Whatever device is on the other TV needs to have some sort of a network browser for you to access the Dune's connected drives. If you want to use the Dune to run a DNLA server, the other device will need to be able to see that as well. But you don't really need file sharing and DNLA both, either one will suffice.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your help

Everything works great now. It's just a matter of getting everything on the network and the everything goes well efter that.

Thanks
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hello again

Got another problem and this one is very odd as mine does not do this and my friend's HD does. The problem is with the transfers.

When i want to transfer a movie from my computer to the Dune hard drive it take forever and i do not have a darn clue what seems to be the problem as mine takes 1 minute or so
to transfer a movie from my computer to the Dune hard drive.

Would any body have a clue on this ???

Thanks all
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroke View Post

Hello again

Got another problem and this one is very odd as mine does not do this and my friend's HD does. The problem is with the transfers.

When i want to transfer a movie from my computer to the Dune hard drive it take forever and i do not have a darn clue what seems to be the problem as mine takes 1 minute or so
to transfer a movie from my computer to the Dune hard drive.

Would any body have a clue on this ???

Thanks all

Transferring over the network to/from the Dune is a snail's task. Max speeds will be 6-9 MB/sec depending on conditions. This is a limitation of the base-100 Ethernet port on the Dune. So a 40GB BD file might take an hour or more. If you connect another HDD to the Dune by USB or eSATA, its a much quicker job.

You can test your network transfer speed on the Dune by highlighting a file on your shared PC and using the pop-up menu to select the speed test. Or just do a transfer using the Dune's copy-paste function and watch the indicated speed. If you're using a wireless network, there may well be additional speed issues.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks a million this is what i will do. I will transfer them on a hard drive and connect the hard drive on the Dune and this will be very fast.

Thanks again

It is only this one big shot to get everything in place and then once in a while i will put 1 in the Dune so this will be OK

Thank again
post #11 of 17
You can also map a network drive on your Windows PC, for the drive(s) connected to the Dune. I use this for transferring files, its slow but there's no hurry here for the once in a while transfer.
Also don't forget that if your PC is on, any files on it are available to play from the Dune via SMB. (if they are shared)
post #12 of 17
Quick followup question on this... I am about to buy a Smart D1 and have a question about the 10/100 interface. I just set up a Synology 1812+ NAS and while streaming a sample BD ISO to my htpc (mounted on HTPC and played back with MPC-HC), I noticed the Synology reporting outgoing speeds over 8MB/s. Obviously this isn't over the 10/100 limit quite yet, but I also imagine I did not just randomly pick the highest bandwidth needy title (the movie was Turbo).

So the 10/100 interface of the Dune doesnt limit it in any way for streaming ISOs or other BD files? Just making sure before I take the plunge and buy.
post #13 of 17
Maximum bitrate I ever saw for a 2d movie was 48mbs (peak bitrate in Avatar if I remember correctly). So 100mbs is largely enough for anything...
post #14 of 17
But 48mbps is about 6 MBps... I was already seeing the Synology say its sending out over 8 MBps with the Turbo movie I just tried. That is what has me worried. Where is that "jellyfish" video found that I hear people say is a bitrate / bandwidth test?
post #15 of 17
It doesn't mean anything to compare the way the streaming is done on a pc and a dune. May be mpch buffers the maximum it can which could be 8MBs, while the dune is doing it more intelligently simply because its internal memory is way smaller than a pc.

Anyway I never had any BW problem with my D1 with any BR 1:1 rip I played. And I don't know anyone who had this kind of problem with a dune (of course as long as your network is correctly set up...or don't use a netgear router).

Just google "jellyfish test" and you should find it. If your network is good you should be able to stream up to 70 or 80mbs test files.
post #16 of 17
Ok great! Thanks!
post #17 of 17
Any advantage to having the Dune smart d1 output higher than 8 bit or RGB limited or full?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Dune HD Smart D1 and Networking