or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help decide: HSU hybrid 15 package or a Infinity Primus setup for HT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help decide: HSU hybrid 15 package or a Infinity Primus setup for HT

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 

I need help deciding. I have a 15" X 20" theater room that was pre-wired for a 7.1 setup by the previous homeowner.  My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-70. I will be adding a projector with 110" screen for viewing once my audio has been set up. The room will be used mostly for movies and tv, and not much music.

 

I've narrowed my choices to these two:

 

HSU Hybrid 15 - 7.1 Package

  - 1 VTF-15H Subwoofer

  - 6 HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers

  - HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel speaker

 

         or

 

Infinity Primus

  - 2 P363 (fronts)

  - 1 PC351 (center)

  - 4 P163

  - 1 Subwoofer (undecided so far)

 

Which do you think I should go with?  All advice/suggestions are appreciated!

post #2 of 27
HSU Hybrid 15 7.1 gets my vote
post #3 of 27
Infinity Primus gets my vote.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

HSU Hybrid 15 7.1 gets my vote
+1
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

HSU Hybrid 15 7.1 gets my vote
+2
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Any specific reason you guys would chose one over the other?
post #7 of 27
They're both good speakers, but my recommendation is based on your primarily using the system for listening to movies and TV ...
The HSU's have very good (at their price point) dynamics which is a big plus for HT. Having identical speakers front and back is a plus for the surround experience. Their LR/Center matching is a bit stronger than the IP set. (If your listening was mostly music, or even 50/50 music/HT I wouldn't have posted.)

If you have room for three identical speakers LCR, all vertical, that would be even better. Many would say it's the ideal for HT/surround. (HSU will sell singles if you call and ask.)
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 

I just got back from Fry's and Abt.  The salespeople at both locations said I should go with floorstanding towers in the front for a better "effect" and sound.  They recommended the Klipsch RF-62 II or the Definitive Technology BP8060ST or some Martin Logan towers.

 

If I went with the HSU hybrid package, will the bookshelf speakers with the subwoofer give me the same sound?  Or should I take what they say with a grain of salt?

post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

I just got back from Fry's and Abt.  The salespeople at both locations said I should go with floorstanding towers in the front for a better "effect" and sound.  They recommended the Klipsch RF-62 II or the Definitive Technology BP8060ST or some Martin Logan towers.

If I went with the HSU hybrid package, will the bookshelf speakers with the subwoofer give me the same sound?  Or should I take what they say with a grain of salt?

I'm typically more circumspect, but in regards to the salespeople's comments - hogwash. For HT/surround listening ...
- THX spec sets the crossover to the sub-woofer at 80Hz. Any decent bookshelf speaker can handle that. Everything below 80hz is covered entirely by the sub-woofer so the extra low end of the towers offer no real benefit since it is actually turned off by the receiver.
- For HT one of the main "effects" you want is a seamless front stage of sound created by your LCR speakers. Identical speakers is best (but admittedly tricky in most home environments), after that you want LCR speakers that match as closely as possible. Three towers LCR would qualify (if you have a projector with an acoustically transparent screen). But, with most speaker lines the towers/center speakers are less matched than their bookshelf/center counterparts.

Reminder, if your primary listening was stereo music then a lot of my comments wouldn't apply.
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

- For HT one of the main "effects" you want is a seamless front stage of sound created by your LCR speakers. Identical speakers is best (but admittedly tricky in most home environments), after that you want LCR speakers that match as closely as possible. Three towers LCR would qualify (if you have a projector with an acoustically transparent screen). But, with most speaker lines the towers/center speakers are less matched than their bookshelf/center counterparts.
 

 

First, thanks soooo much for your help.

 

Secondly, I haven't set up the projector or bought the screen yet but an acoustically transparent screen is a screen where speakers can be placed behind it, correct?  If so, I won't be doing that since the screen will go flat onto the wall.  I'll most likely have to do a center speaker in order to bring the speaker to eye/ear level.

post #11 of 27
Thread Starter 

Also, if I get the center speaker to be the same as the LR, can I lay it sideways instead of up and down? 

 

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you said that they need to be vertical.

post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

... an acoustically transparent screen is a screen where speakers can be placed behind it, correct?  If so, I won't be doing that since the screen will go flat onto the wall.  I'll most likely have to do a center speaker in order to bring the speaker to eye/ear level.

Yeah you need a lot of extra space to take advantage of an acoustically transparent screen. Your LCR speakers don't necessarily need to be mounted at ear level, you can get away with them being a little lower (or higher) and tilted a little.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

Also, if I get the center speaker to be the same as the LR, can I lay it sideways instead of up and down?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that you said that they need to be vertical.

Depends on the speaker. For most speakers (typical separate tweeter/mid-driver design) it's not a good idea to lay them on their side. There are a few speakers with a single concentric driver (tweeter inside the mid-range driver, sometimes called a point-source speaker) that can be laid on their side, examples would be some of the JTR and KEF speakers.

Since you have a dedicated room and the HSU bookshelf speakers are only 15" high - it might not be too difficult to fit three vertical speakers across the front, all at or close to the same height.

I have to run an errand, but might have a couple suggestions to offer a little later.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

Any specific reason you guys would chose one over the other?
They are amazing value for money and the subwoofer you get with the HSU package is one of the top subwoofers you can get. Personally I would definitely buy the HSU VTF-15h at minimum. Their is no need to match your 5 speakers to the same brand of the Subwoofer(guarantee they will tell you differently at those stores. The HSU VTF-15h is far superior to what most places stock.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

I just got back from Fry's and Abt.  The salespeople at both locations said I should go with floorstanding towers in the front for a better "effect" and sound.  They recommended the Klipsch RF-62 II or the Definitive Technology BP8060ST or some Martin Logan towers.

If I went with the HSU hybrid package, will the bookshelf speakers with the subwoofer give me the same sound?  Or should I take what they say with a grain of salt?
Bookshelves with a high quality subwoofer like the HSU VTF-15h and a proper crossover of 80hz which is generally what most people set for their speakers.

Take what they say with a pound of salt
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

I need help deciding. I have a 15" X 20" theater room that was pre-wired for a 7.1 setup by the previous homeowner.  My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-70. I will be adding a projector with 110" screen for viewing once my audio has been set up. The room will be used mostly for movies and tv, and not much music.

I've narrowed my choices to these two:

HSU Hybrid 15 - 7.1 Package
  - 1 VTF-15H Subwoofer
  - 6 HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speakers
  - HC-1 MK2 Horn Center Channel speaker

         or

Infinity Primus
  - 2 P363 (fronts)
  - 1 PC351 (center)
  - 4 P163
  - 1 Subwoofer (undecided so far)

Which do you think I should go with?  All advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Hey Dego510, I have both the Primus setup and the Hsu setup (excepting the VTF15h) which you are looking at. Both great setups with their own strengths. I would say the Primus towers are a bit more powerful and probably have a smoother FR both on and off axis, but the Hsu speakers are less fatiguing to listen to for long stretches and have punchier bass. I like them both, and either one is a winner. If it were me, I would get two very good subs rather than one massive sub, I would go for something like dual VTF2 or dual VTF3 subs over a VTF15h, there are some very serious advantages of multiple sub setups. If you have any questions let me know.

By the way, the mount you will want to use for either one is the Videosecu side-clamping speaker mount, by far the best mount for the money out there, trust me on that.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post


Hey Dego510, I have both the Primus setup and the Hsu setup (excepting the VTF15h) which you are looking at. Both great setups with their own strengths. I would say the Primus towers are a bit more powerful and probably have a smoother FR both on and off axis, but the Hsu speakers are less fatiguing to listen to for long stretches and have punchier bass. I like them both, and either one is a winner. If it were me, I would get two very good subs rather than one massive sub, I would go for something like dual VTF2 or dual VTF3 subs over a VTF15h, there are some very serious advantages of multiple sub setups. If you have any questions let me know.

By the way, the mount you will want to use for either one is the Videosecu side-clamping speaker mount, by far the best mount for the money out there, trust me on that.


Great to hear from someone with experience with both.  Your point about two good subs vs 1 huge sub is something I never thought about, however, I don't have the extra money.  Two VTF2 costs more than one VTF15h.  Can I add a VTF2 to my VTF15 down the road . . . like 2 years from now?

(My wife is not to happy with all the money I'm spending on the Theater room . . .  receiver, projector, screen, speakers, furniture, accessories, etc)

post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

... If it were me, I would get two very good subs rather than one massive sub, I would go for something like dual VTF2 or dual VTF3 subs over a VTF15h, there are some very serious advantages of multiple sub setups. If you have any questions let me know...
+1 That's what I was going to suggest also wink.gif Dual subs are not for more or louder bass, but rather for a more even bass throughout the room and a smoother crossover to your speakers throughout the room.

The HSU subs are currently on sale: a single VT15H is 850, a pair of VTF2's or VTF3's are 1060 and 1260. SVS also has a sale on the PB-1000, a pair for 950. With the size of your room it might be worth spending a little more (about 200) for dual subs. Here are a couple of suggestions ...
7 HB-1 bookshelf speakers for 1113 + 950 (dual subs): 2063
6 HB-1's and an HC-1 center for 1203 + 950 (dual subs): 2153

Or one other option, another speaker in that price range that's well regarded, and often recommended, in the forums ...
7 Arx A1b's for 1100 + 950 (dual subs): 2050
(A1b's are 300 a pair and you can get single for 199 by request.)

Either the Arx or the HSU speakers would work very well in your space, and there's lots of info about them in the forums.

Good luck!
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post


Great to hear from someone with experience with both.  Your point about two good subs vs 1 huge sub is something I never thought about, however, I don't have the extra money.  Two VTF2 costs more than one VTF15h.  Can I add a VTF2 to my VTF15 down the road . . . like 2 years from now?
(My wife is not to happy with all the money I'm spending on the Theater room . . .  receiver, projector, screen, speakers, furniture, accessories, etc)

I can understand her concern, it added up faster than I wanted it to when I was building my theater as well.

I would not mix two different subs together unless they had a similar performance ability to each other, which the VTF15h and VTF2 definitely do not, so no, I wouldn't advise that idea. It would just end up either over-driving one sub or bottle-necking the other.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

+1 That's what I was going to suggest also wink.gif Dual subs are not for more or louder bass, but rather for a more even bass throughout the room and a smoother crossover to your speakers throughout the room.

The HSU subs are currently on sale: a single VT15H is 850, a pair of VTF2's or VTF3's are 1060 and 1260. SVS also has a sale on the PB-1000, a pair for 950. With the size of your room it might be worth spending a little more (about 200) for dual subs. Here are a couple of suggestions ...
7 HB-1 bookshelf speakers for 1113 + 950 (dual subs): 2063
6 HB-1's and an HC-1 center for 1203 + 950 (dual subs): 2153

At the moment you can get two Outlaw LFM-1 Pluses for $1k shipped, I don't think PB1000s would be quite on the level of those.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post


Great to hear from someone with experience with both.  Your point about two good subs vs 1 huge sub is something I never thought about, however, I don't have the extra money.  Two VTF2 costs more than one VTF15h.  Can I add a VTF2 to my VTF15 down the road . . . like 2 years from now?
(My wife is not to happy with all the money I'm spending on the Theater room . . .  receiver, projector, screen, speakers, furniture, accessories, etc)

Understandable - as shadyj said it adds up quickly wink.gif With one sub then the HSU VTF15H makes the most sense.

If you decide you want to try a 7th HB-1 as a center, HSU will probably give you a break on the package price if you ask wink.gif
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post


Understandable - as shadyj said it adds up quickly wink.gif With one sub then the HSU VTF15H makes the most sense.

If you decide you want to try a 7th HB-1 as a center, HSU will probably give you a break on the package price if you ask wink.gif


I'm going to look today if I can find an entertainment center that's wide BUT low enough so I can put a HB-1 on it without blocking the projection screen.  If I can find a stand that's 6ft long and low enough, can I place all 3 front speakers on it?  Or should I spread out the Left and Right speakers as far as possible (in this case, 15ft)?

post #22 of 27
ideally you want the speakers same distance apart as the distance of your seating to tv making a perfect triangle. just for shits and giggles another speaker option would be to get 3 hsu hc-1 centers and have hsu rotate the tweeter for vertical placements and have a nice set of mtm speakers across the front. more money but more speaker. just my 2 cents
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 

I went with the HSU hybrid 15 package and they sound great.  The sub is a lot bigger than I expected.

 

Anyways, I now need some stands for the front left and right bookshelf speakers.  Any that you guys suggest?  I don't want something super-expensive, but I also don't want garbage.

post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post


Hey Dego510, I have both the Primus setup and the Hsu setup (excepting the VTF15h) which you are looking at. Both great setups with their own strengths. I would say the Primus towers are a bit more powerful and probably have a smoother FR both on and off axis, but the Hsu speakers are less fatiguing to listen to for long stretches and have punchier bass. I like them both, and either one is a winner. If it were me, I would get two very good subs rather than one massive sub, I would go for something like dual VTF2 or dual VTF3 subs over a VTF15h, there are some very serious advantages of multiple sub setups. If you have any questions let me know.

By the way, the mount you will want to use for either one is the Videosecu side-clamping speaker mount, by far the best mount for the money out there, trust me on that.

Shadyj suggested this earlier in your thread...

post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 

I did use those mounts for the side and rear speakers.  I thought stands for the Left/Right speakers might be better.  If that's not so, I could do mounts for those, too.

post #26 of 27
You can use mounts for the fronts, although most front speakers will do better with more of a stand-off distance than you can get with mounts. Sorry, I don't know stands well enough to recommend any.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dego510 View Post

I went with the HSU hybrid 15 package and they sound great.  The sub is a lot bigger than I expected.

Anyways, I now need some stands for the front left and right bookshelf speakers.  Any that you guys suggest?  I don't want something super-expensive, but I also don't want garbage.
Any update? I am thinking about this package as well and wanted to know if you would have gone with 2 subs instead of just the 1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help decide: HSU hybrid 15 package or a Infinity Primus setup for HT