or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Need suggestions on home theater audio system setup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need suggestions on home theater audio system setup

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

I am building a new house and would love to hear about home theater setup suggestions. I have attached a image of media room with dimensions and approximate component placement. I am going for 7.1 setup.

 

The room size is 14' x 17'.

 

Here is what I am thinking about this setup for audio system. Initially I was thinking to go for in-ceiling surround sound speakers but after reading some suggestions it looks like in-ceiling speakers are not good setup.

 

1) Front left, center and Front right floor standing speakers  as shown in the picture

2) Left and right In Wall surround sound speakers as shown in the picture (little above the ear level)

3) Left and right In Wall back speakers as shown in the picture

 

I am not sure if this is the setup I should go for or should I go for wall mount/in celing speakers instead of In wall speakers.

 

Any suggestions?

 

post #2 of 26
If you can avoid in-ceiling, do. In-wall is preferable to that (sound won't be "showering" on you).

Also, if this is strictly for watching movies, consider front in-wall speakers behind (good) acoustically transparent video screen. It will make for a much cleaner set up and no distractions visually from box speakers. In-wall fronts can also be pulled more away from corners of the wall. And the center channel can be identical to left and right as compared to horizontally opposed as you have it. Finally, your screen can be bigger if you don't need the space for box speakers on either end. And that is the best thing you can do for the experience: maximize the screen size (assuming your projector has enough lumens to drive it).
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the suggestions.

 

I have read some online articles stating that Front Left/Center/Front Right speakers should be floor standing in order to have good sound quality. For the rest In wall might be good compromise. That's why I chose floor standing front speakers. Is it possible to achieve almost same sound quality with In wall front speakers?

 

I also had confusion about sub woofer placement. There are many confusing arguments about placing the sub woofers near to seating area and also avoiding the corners of the room for sub woofer placement. But some articles recommend putting sub woofer at corner. Any suggestions?

 

For the surround sound speakers (Back and Side), should those be at/little above ear level or is it ok to have closer (may be 2-3 feet below ceiling on the back and side wall). The ceiling height is 9'. I was thinking about how will it look aesthetically if the speakers are at the middle of the back and side wall.


Edited by ujjval13 - 12/2/13 at 7:40pm
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 

Need opinions/suggestions!! Thanks.

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjval13 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have read some online articles stating that Front Left/Center/Front Right speakers should be floor standing in order to have good sound quality. For the rest In wall might be good compromise. That's why I chose floor standing front speakers. Is it possible to achieve almost same sound quality with In wall front speakers?

Yes. There are some inherent limitations with in walls. If space is not a concern, I would avoid them if at all possible.
Quote:
I also had confusion about sub woofer placement. There are many confusing arguments about placing the sub woofers near to seating area and also avoiding the corners of the room for sub woofer placement. But some articles recommend putting sub woofer at corner. Any suggestions?

Each room is entirely unique. What works for me, won't work for you. In some rooms, corner placement worked best for me; in others, it didn't. I'd recommend placing the sub in your listening position, and use a program such as REW, to find the location that would provide the smoothest FR. If you don't have, or prefer not to mess with REW; a simple DB meter will provide sufficient results.
Quote:
For the surround sound speakers (Back and Side), should those be at/little above ear level or is it ok to have closer (may be 2-3 feet below ceiling on the back and side wall). The ceiling height is 9'. I was thinking about how will it look aesthetically if the speakers are at the middle of the back and side wall.

I'd recommend between 90 and 110 degrees in relation to the listening position, with 1 to 3' placement above ear height. For rears I'd recommend the same height with spacing about 2 - 3' in between. YMMV.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the quick reply.

 

It sounds like the setup below is good.

 

1) Front left, center and Front right floor standing speakers  as shown in the picture

2) Left and right In Wall surround sound speakers as shown in the picture (90 and 110 degrees in relation to the listening position, with 1 to 3' placement above ear height) (so may be 3' below the ceiling height)

3) Left and right In Wall back speakers as shown in the picture (same height as surround sound speakers with spacing about 2 - 3' in between)

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
I will need to decide this by tomorrow and tell the prewire points in the room to the builder.

1) Front left, center and Front right speakers pre-wiring at floor level
2) Left and right In Wall surround sound speakers prewiring as shown in the picture (90 and 110 degrees in relation to the listening position, with 1 to 3' placement above ear height) (so may be 3' below the ceiling height)
3) Left and right In Wall back speakers pre-wiring as shown in the picture (same height as surround sound speakers with spacing about 2 - 3' in between)
4) sub woofer pre-wiring at the corner opposite to closet door in the media room

Does above setup sound good?
post #8 of 26
I think you'll be good there. The only other advice I'd throw out is; I'd recommend wiring for wide and height speakers as well. Wire is cheap, and doing it now is a whole lot less headache than trying to add additional speakers down the road and tearing up sheetrock. wink.gif
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I think you'll be good there. The only other advice I'd throw out is; I'd recommend wiring for wide and height speakers as well. Wire is cheap, and doing it now is a whole lot less headache than trying to add additional speakers down the road and tearing up sheetrock. wink.gif

What is "wide and height speakers"? Are these additional speakers apart from 7.1 speakers? Where do these speaker go?

I am new to this field, so bear with me please. :) 

 

Thanks.

post #10 of 26
Is it too late to swap the front wall?
you have 14.5 ft long x 18.5 feet wide, I'd swap that and put the screen on the wall opposite your entrance.

14.5 feet wide x 18.5 feet long, that's exactly same as my basement HT.
You could put 2 rows of seats in, build a riser.

Forgot your L couch idea, that's not really ideal for home theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjval13 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I think you'll be good there. The only other advice I'd throw out is; I'd recommend wiring for wide and height speakers as well. Wire is cheap, and doing it now is a whole lot less headache than trying to add additional speakers down the road and tearing up sheetrock. wink.gif
What is "wide and height speakers"? Are these additional speakers apart from 7.1 speakers? Where do these speaker go?
I am new to this field, so bear with me please. smile.gif

Thanks.

look at this thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435778/moving-past-7-1-5-1-into-9-1-11-2-upgrade-your-ht-room-via-audysseydsx-dolbypl-iiz-dts-neo-x
Quote:
And now with Audyssey DSX and its competition Dolby Pro Logic IIz / DTS Neo:X™ in the market for a few years, some of you are like me and considering "upgrade" time.

Audyssey visual:
dsx_480x335.jpg

This visual from my Denon 4520CI manual, makes it easier to grasp all the 7.1/9.1/11.1 speaker layout.
11.x%2520speaker%2520layout%2520via%2520Denon%2520Manual.JPG

Here is the DTS Neo:X™ visual:
DTS_NeoX_.JPG
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 

What I thought is:

 

room size is 14.8 x 17.4. I won't be able to utilize the few feet space right after the entrance door for seating since we need some room to open the door and walk around, but with the setup I have now. I can put the seating quite close to the wall so essentially for the purpose of seating both the setup will yield the same result.

 

Meaning, for the 17' side, I probably will need to start seating starting from 14' or so to allow space near entrance area. Agree?

 

Let me know, if you have something else in mind that I don't see. I could change the arrangement for one last time without pissing the builder off. :)

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjval13 View Post

What I thought is:

room size is 14.8 x 17.4. I won't be able to utilize the few feet space right after the entrance door for seating since we need some room to open the door and walk around, but with the setup I have now. I can put the seating quite close to the wall so essentially for the purpose of seating both the setup will yield the same result.

Meaning, for the 17' side, I probably will need to start seating starting from 14' or so to allow space near entrance area. Agree?

Let me know, if you have something else in mind that I don't see. I could change the arrangement for one last time without pissing the builder off. smile.gif

Thoughts;
1) change the swing of the doors to swing out not in > then you can easily change your layout
2) make sure you use outside doors with full seals and interlocking, or you will have rattles as sub pressurizes your space, and the seal will help contain sound in the room, and outside noise out of the room for lower room db floor

Just remember - the builder works for you not the other way around.
I built a custom log home in 2002, hopefully you have a very specific contractual agreement on exactly what you are getting, what can be change for zero cost, etc.

are you in the drawing/agreement phase, or actual construction is in progress and severe time constraint?
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 

That's good idea to change the swing of the door.

 

1) Thinking more, it looks like if I want to put the seating in approximately in the middle from both side wall, closet door might be a problem as well.

 

2) Also 14' wall might be small for big screen right?

 

3) If I change the layout rear speakers need to go in ceiling because there is very limited back wall.

 

If you have something in mind, can you suggest a approximate layout. It would also help to see the picture of your room, if you can share.

 

I am little time constrained since construction has already started. I could still change the layout since wiring is still not done.

 

Thanks a lot for helping.

post #14 of 26
Look at my signature links. Home theatre, DIY screen, IB subwoofer, acoustic treatments, etc.
Watching sound of music live with kids now....
Tomorrow I'll mark up your room with my thoughts, fwiw.
Peace.


Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 

Cool. Let me take a look at the links. 

Have fun. :)

post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 

Looking at the plan, it looks like it may not be possible to change the swing of the french door because the door is right after the stairs.

 

Look at the attached picture here.

 

post #17 of 26
Ok, the framing is done.....can the door opening be moved to the right side?

Or, give up a dual French door and just have a single 36" door swing out, the could easily frame up the LH door opening. Should be a wash or save you money, a few 2x4 s and now just a single door.


Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 

I could ask the builder to see if he can shift the door to the right. Even with moving the door to right, seating arrangement will be a little challenging because of closet. 

I am also not sure where to put rear speakers in that case.

post #19 of 26
Is that 16" space next to closet a air supply or vent stack to roof?
Reason I ask is for your AV rear rack that closet is way wide, if that 16" was gone and the closet made 30" wide you'd gain space for placement of rear speakers, and better layout ergonomics.

I don't want to dictate to you, these are my thoughts, it's your home.

Other:
-soundproofing?
-acoustics?
- budget?
- desired screen size?
-AT screen or?
- # rows and desired seats
-electrical circuits?


Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 

- That 16"is AC going into master bathroom downstairs It needs to stay there I guess.

- I still need to talk to builder about soundproofing. He is saying that whatever they are doing should be good enough R19 insulation.

- Initially I was thinking for 1 row of seats, but 2 rows are preferable if I can accommodate.

- Budget is around 7000 for audo+video system although it is little flexible

- Desired screen size is as big as I can use for this room. What could be the best possible screen size for this room?


Edited by ujjval13 - 12/6/13 at 8:20am
post #21 of 26
Thread Starter 

Another thought about moving the french door to the right is If I move the door to the right the few feet of space next to it in the game room would not be usable, 

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujjval13 View Post

- That 16"is AC going into master bathroom downstairs It needs to stay there I guess.
- I still need to talk to builder about soundproofing. He is saying that whatever they are doing should be good enough R19 insulation.
- Initially I was thinking for 1 row of seats, but 2 rows are preferable if I can accommodate.
- Budget is around 7000 for audo+video system although it is little flexible
- Desired screen size is as big as I can use for this room. What could be the best possible screen size for this room?

read here on soundproofing, your builder is dead WRONG! http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/

you really need to define your purpose for this room, is it a dedicated HT space?
Look at other completed HT's here....
What are your goals?
Will you have a Projector or a big 80" flat screen??
(there should be pre-wiring for a PJ if so, like 2 HDMI runs, power, 2 cat6)

Are you doing the pre-wiring yourself before drywall is up, or is that all the builders task?
I'd be very cautious of trusting him, as he thinks R19 is good enough for soundproofing.

$7k for PJ + full 7.1 speakers + screen + AVR is doable but tight.
You need to look into the under $3k PJ section.

Screen size is dictated by your room layout, and master seat location.

What about your lighting strategy? How many zones and where located?

Really, you should make a thread in the Dedicated HT section, as this truly needs things from a system integration viewpoint, piece meal will miss stuff and compromise will occur.
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 

I will research on soundproofing. Thanks for the pointer.

 

Yes this is a  dedicated HT room.

Ohh Yes, projector location is not mentioned in my picture above, but pre-wiring for the projector will be there on the ceiling 3' away from the back wall opposite to the screen wall.

builder will do prewiring at the location I specify for 7.1 setup. There will be cat5 and RG6 wire from the projector to closet and I am adding extra 2" conduit from the projector to the closet for all the extra wires like HDMI...

 

Builder is giving 4 recessed can light which I moved to other locations in the house and I am adding bunch of sconce lights on the side walls with a dimmer and there is already a ceiling light in the middle of the room. I might add recessed can lights myself in the future. Builder is charging high...

 

I will start a new thread as well. 


Edited by ujjval13 - 12/6/13 at 9:39am
post #24 of 26
post #25 of 26
I have a speaker set up question. I have 10 speakers in my basement (8 in the media room and 2 in a different room) the speakers in the media room are set up as follows two in the wall on each side of my LED TV, I have 6 in the ceiling in sets of two. The other room has two in ceiling speakers with their own volume control. I have a Sony STR DN 1030, I have a automatic amped subwoofer. How can I best use the speakers I have in the wall and ceiling to get surround sound for movies and play music in the entire basement when we have friends over. My av receiver has 7.1 and dual zone options. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatel43 View Post

I have a speaker set up question. I have 10 speakers in my basement (8 in the media room and 2 in a different room) the speakers in the media room are set up as follows two in the wall on each side of my LED TV, I have 6 in the ceiling in sets of two. The other room has two in ceiling speakers with their own volume control. I have a Sony STR DN 1030, I have a automatic amped subwoofer. How can I best use the speakers I have in the wall and ceiling to get surround sound for movies and play music in the entire basement when we have friends over. My av receiver has 7.1 and dual zone options. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

suggest you make your own thread, add layout of room, size, seating, etc.
piggy-back onto another is best way for zero response........hint
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Need suggestions on home theater audio system setup