or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › What is a high speed HDMI ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is a high speed HDMI ??

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I have a 1.4 hdmi cable in place , is there something better?? This is what the Sony 500ES manual says about installation
and cable hook up page 13 .

P 13.

Connecting to Video Equipment or a Computer
Connections and Preparations

• Use a high-speed HDMI cable. With a standard HDMI cable, images of 1080p, DeepColor, 3D
video and 4K video may not be displayed properly.
• When connecting an HDMI cable to the unit, make sure the
V
mark on the upper part of the HDMI
input of the unit and the
v
mark on the connector of the cable is set at the same position.
• If the picture from equipment connected to the unit with an HDMI cable is not correct, check the
settings of the connected equipment.
• If you set your computer, such as a notebook type, to output the signal to both computer’s display
and this equipment, the picture of the equipment may not appear properly. Set your computer to
output the signal to only the external monitor. For details, refer to the computer’s operating
instructions supplied with your computer. For settings of the computer, consult with the
manufacturer of the computer

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 12
There is no such thing as 1.4 hdmi cable. It's either standard or hi-speed. Some have been known to sell/market the high speed as "1.4" but that's not the official HDMI line....http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx#Rightcable. Is your cable marked with type?
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

There is no such thing as 1.4 hdmi cable. It's either standard or hi-speed. Some have been known to sell/market the high speed as "1.4" but that's not the official HDMI line....http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx#Rightcable. Is your cable marked with type?

Going to check that out tonight. The cable was 16-25 feet long, gold plated and expensive, that is all I can recall. Assuming it is marked I will check that out.

I just assumed the new 4K PJ would not pass a 4K signal on the 1.4 cable, I guess it does as long as it is a "hi-speed" version.
post #4 of 12
The VW500 doesn't require any more bandwidth over HDMI than what existing High Speed cables are rated for (~10.2Gbps). It sounds like future 4K displays that "fully" support HDMI 2.0 (ie support up to 18Gbps) will need new active HDMI cables.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

Going to check that out tonight. The cable was 16-25 feet long, gold plated and expensive, that is all I can recall. Assuming it is marked I will check that out.

I just assumed the new 4K PJ would not pass a 4K signal on the 1.4 cable, I guess it does as long as it is a "hi-speed" version.

I do have the "hi-Speed" cable from the Darbee to the PJ but the HDMI from the A/V receiver to the Darbee and from the blu ray to the A/V receiver is not. Will change those tonight, I assume that
could be a serious bottleneck .
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

The VW500 doesn't require any more bandwidth over HDMI than what existing High Speed cables are rated for (~10.2Gbps). It sounds like future 4K displays that "fully" support HDMI 2.0 (ie support up to 18Gbps) will need new active HDMI cables.

Thanks, this is a bonus as I do have the Hi-Speed cable in place from the Darbee to the PJ. I do NOT have the Hi-Speed between the blue ray, Darbee and receiver though , will change those tonight .
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

I do have the "hi-Speed" cable from the Darbee to the PJ but the HDMI from the A/V receiver to the Darbee and from the blu ray to the A/V receiver is not. Will change those tonight, I assume that
could be a serious bottleneck .

If they're working, there's no reason to change them. Just because a cable isn't High Speed certified, doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean's it's not "guaranteed" to work. Just keep that fact in mind in the future if you do run into trouble.

I ran a 50' standard speed HDMI cable for a long time and it was fine up to 1080p60.
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

If they're working, there's no reason to change them. Just because a cable isn't High Speed certified, doesn't mean it won't work, it just mean's it's not "guaranteed" to work. Just keep that fact in mind in the future if you do run into trouble.

I ran a 50' standard speed HDMI cable for a long time and it was fine up to 1080p60.

I've had a couple of issues where I have lost the picture on the projector and I'm not sure if that was related to the cable or not. I have the cables anyway, may as well put them on to eliminate that possibility.
post #9 of 12
When I first had 3D capability with a tv (and PS3) had some success with standard hdmi cable, but better with hi-speed.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post

I've had a couple of issues where I have lost the picture on the projector and I'm not sure if that was related to the cable or not. I have the cables anyway, may as well put them on to eliminate that possibility.

Replaced the "standard" HDMI with hi-speed last night and secured some cables that may have been loose. Picture is better, but I had the same picture initially with my new 500. I believe I may have had a loose HDMI
cable not making good contact and that is why I had some rogue issues now and then. Picture is better for sure, at least I know there is no bottle neck now. smile.gif
post #11 of 12
To be clear, and insufficient HDMI cable won't "bottleneck" or "degrade" the picture, it will fail in obvious/spectacular fashion, either complete failure (no picture), partial failure (sparkles) or sometimes just handshake issues.
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

To be clear, and insufficient HDMI cable won't "bottleneck" or "degrade" the picture, it will fail in obvious/spectacular fashion, either complete failure (no picture), partial failure (sparkles) or sometimes just handshake issues.

Had all of the aforementioned issues except for the sparkles, maybe that was it then ? A couple more days and I will know for sure , I do believe I have resolved the problem though, we shall see.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › What is a high speed HDMI ??