or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Poll: How much did you spend on amplification?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poll: How much did you spend on amplification? - Page 2

Poll Results: How much did you spend on your amp? (whatever happens to drive your speakers, interated, avr, separate, etc)

This is a multiple choice poll
  • 9% (10)
    0-300$
  • 14% (15)
    300-500$
  • 15% (16)
    500-750$
  • 17% (18)
    750-1000$
  • 20% (22)
    1000-2000$
  • 26% (28)
    2000- Dont even ask.......
105 Total Votes  
post #31 of 114
Thread Starter 
My boss swears by the used market. He loves audiogon and is building an audio research system bit by bit. Great way to kill time at work, chatting about our common hobby. biggrin.gif
post #32 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

Wow, strong support in the upper price ranges. I'm happily surprised. smile.gif Some serious gear here!

They probably just keep quite about it though to avoid snide comments around here.
post #33 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Audio jewelry collecting loves company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Bragging rights? ;-)

Your comments are neither constructive, nor welcome. Feel free to stay out of my threads. wink.gif

I'm instituting a no b.s. Policy. Piss off.

Others should do the same. We outnumber this crap! Enough is enough. mad.gif
Edited by Hell Commute - 12/10/13 at 3:28am
post #34 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post


You're comments are neither constructive, nor welcome. Feel free to stay out of my threads. wink.gif

I'm instituting a no b.s. Policy. Piss off.

Others should do the same. We outnumber this crap! Enough is enough. mad.gif

They try to irritate us "ignorant" audiophools, I learned to accept the fact that this never stops at AVS.
post #35 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post


Your comments are neither constructive, nor welcome. Feel free to stay out of my threads. wink.gif

I'm instituting a no b.s. Policy. Piss off.

Others should do the same. We outnumber this crap! Enough is enough. mad.gif

My, my. We're getting a little thin in the skin. I provided no B.S. I find it truthful to call high end audio electronics audio jewelry. You can't produce proof of better measurements or better sonics so what else should I call it that wouldn't make you even angrier. What you say is B.S. Piss off.
post #36 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

They try to irritate us "ignorant" audiophools, I learned to accept the fact that this never stops at AVS.

That's not true at all. Our goal is to keep newcomers from the expense of falling into the trap you fell into and which most of us fell into years ago. I've been where you are. I got over it. You can get over it or not as you please but you can't instruct newcomers in it without a debate. Sorry.
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Audio jewelry collecting loves company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Bragging rights? ;-)

Your comments are neither constructive, nor welcome. Feel free to stay out of my threads. wink.gif

You seem to be a bit weak about the principles of technical conferencing.

This is first and foremost a marketplace for ideas. That means that people hang their ideas out for others to read and comment on.

You seem to want to put a stop to that, no?
Quote:
I'm instituting a no b.s. Policy. Piss off.

I am in favor of policies against BS, and as soon as there is universal agrement about what is BS and what is valuable technical information we can act on it! ;-)
Quote:
Others should do the same. We outnumber this crap! Enough is enough. mad.gif

As Tonto is reputed have said at the Lone Ranger's last stand: Who is this "We", white man? ;-)
post #38 of 114
$1300 for an Anthem MCA-20, driving a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbon tweeters. Pre/pro is an Anthem D-1 retired from my theater system due to lack of HDMI. I know I could have spent less without loss of sound quality, I'm happy with the build quality of the Anthem.
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post




As Tonto is reputed have said at the Lone Ranger's last stand: Who is this "We", white man? ;-)

That nearly got my morning coffee shot back up through my nose!
post #40 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

That's not true at all. Our goal is to keep newcomers from the expense of falling into the trap you fell into and which most of us fell into years ago. I've been where you are. I got over it. You can get over it or not as you please but you can't instruct newcomers in it without a debate. Sorry.

Well at least your intensions are good, saving the poor newbies some cash, and at least some of the things you guys battle I agree with, as in over the top expensive cables. But sorry, I guess I'll never "get it" because I can hear differences in my players and amplifiers.

Some people enjoy buying exotic gear even if the sound differences are not that big. These type are a minority and most people wouldn't go down that path regardless of what they read at some website.
post #41 of 114
I have four Emotiva amps, an ideal innovations tube amp, and a Bryston 4BSST2. The Emos are for my ht setup and the other two are rotated in/out on my 2 channel rig for fun.
post #42 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Well at least your intensions are good, saving the poor newbies some cash, and at least some of the things you guys battle I agree with, as in over the top expensive cables. But sorry, I guess I'll never "get it" because I can hear differences in my players and amplifiers.

As you know from reading this forum, that is because you fall prey to hearing bias from a sighted evaluation. I've been there too.
Quote:
Some people enjoy buying exotic gear even if the sound differences are not that big. These type are a minority and most people wouldn't go down that path regardless of what they read at some website.

People should buy whatever they want to buy. I only want them to do it with good information and for the right reasons.
post #43 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Motel View Post

$1300 for an Anthem MCA-20, driving a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL ribbon tweeters. Pre/pro is an Anthem D-1 retired from my theater system due to lack of HDMI. I know I could have spent less without loss of sound quality, I'm happy with the build quality of the Anthem.

Excellent. You bought it for the right reason. I think back fondly of my old Audio Research tube amp. It didn't help with sonics but it sure looked good and felt good having it there.
post #44 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

That's not true at all. Our goal is to keep newcomers from the expense of falling into the trap you fell into and which most of us fell into years ago. I've been where you are. I got over it. You can get over it or not as you please but you can't instruct newcomers in it without a debate. Sorry.

Well at least your intensions are good, saving the poor newbies some cash, and at least some of the things you guys battle I agree with, as in over the top expensive cables. But sorry, I guess I'll never "get it" because I can hear differences in my players and amplifiers.

Don't feel that you are different because of that - we all hear differences among amps if we listen the way you probably do it. Sighted evaluation, casual or no level matching, slow switching by means of swapping cables. Be brave - how many of these things are part of your evaluations?

The modern alternative is double blind tests, precise level matching with a DVM, fast switching at times of our exact choosing by means of swtichboxes. This newer tech makes a difference, big time!
Quote:
Some people enjoy buying exotic gear even if the sound differences are not that big.

These type are a minority and most people wouldn't go down that path regardless of what they read at some website.

I have no problem with people doing whatever they want to do based on reliable information. I live in an area where bug sailboats and yachts are more the rule than the exception. Me, I like the low hassle route - a 17' canoe. Live and let live!
post #45 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Well at least your intensions are good, saving the poor newbies some cash, and at least some of the things you guys battle I agree with, as in over the top expensive cables. But sorry, I guess I'll never "get it" because I can hear differences in my players and amplifiers.

I don't doubt your sincerity, but, foremost, you're probably hearing differences in level. Louder sounds "better" (and certainly different) every time; but it's really no different at all. And if you don't agree with that (even though it's entirely plausible), what is it you think you're hearing? And why would that be plausible? (And also note that no one here makes these arguments in regard to speakers, speaker placement, room acoustics or room-correction processing; they do make audible differences, and we can explain why.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 
Some people enjoy buying exotic gear even if the sound differences are not that big. These type are a minority and most people wouldn't go down that path regardless of what they read at some website.

I'm not going to buy anything truly "exotic," but let's also be clear that, when it comes to disc players or amplifiers, there are lots of reasons for choosing among boxes -- features, ergonomics, cosmetics, build quality, brand loyalty, prestige ... all of which are rational to varying degrees. For example, I think Emotiva is a tremendous value leader, but I don't like the way the stuff looks; as much as I admire their business model, I don't want to look at Emotiva boxes sitting in my den every night. In contrast, I think my Rotel separates look positively elegant; they make me feel good. But that's just me.

So, again, there are lots of reasons that one might select a particular disc player or amplifier and defend his rationale quite nicely. But "sound quality" just isn't one of them.



.
Edited by Brownstone322 - 12/10/13 at 1:54pm
post #46 of 114
I have to say the OP asked a simple question, I see no agenda here. For that reason I see no reason, or benefit for the argument in this thread. Just let the members here whom want to participate, state what and why they bought what they did. No question not all will be in agreement, so be it, I'm curious myself.
post #47 of 114
$290 for a discontinued JVC RX-D702B AVR. - Bought 5+ years ago.

  • 7.1-channel A/V receiver
  • 150 watts per channel. - Class D amplification
  • Low-profile chassis. - Only 3.5” tall!
  • … more good stuff.
  • Fwiw, it includes wireless USB streaming. (These days, I use a dedicated media steamer.)
  • Runs unbelievably hot (so I installed a fan behind it), but, to date, it’s worked 100% flawlessly.

This amp kills! - Detailed and dynamic.

Yeah, it’s dated, (old HDMI, no bass mgmt, etc.) but I’m still very, very happy with it.
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I snagged a like new used Mcintosh MC252 about 6 years ago. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but I remember it was more than two grand. It is driving my newly purchased Aerial 7t's which list for just under 10k. Got them used, like new as well for well under list. Audio Nirvana.

Biggest mistake I ever made was to trade in my MC252, not that I am not happy with what I upgraded to but the 252 is just flat out special.
post #49 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Excellent. You bought it for the right reason. I think back fondly of my old Audio Research tube amp. It didn't help with sonics but it sure looked good and felt good having it there.

Who the heck are you to determine what is a right (or wrong) reason to buy audio?

Appalling arrogance.

You do realize arrogance is a tell tale sign of insecurity. Why come on a forum and let everyone know that about yourself?

Makes no sense to me.
post #50 of 114
Thread Starter 
Please, It is not productve to argue.

What amp do you have? How much?

Thats this thread in a nutshell. I thought it would be cool for everyone to be able to share. Something we all have in common, we have amps. smile.gif

This thread has nothing to do with "the great debate". It was meant to be fun and light. Nothing technical at all.

I crafted it intentionally to hopefully avoid these pitfalls-- and to be all inviting-- a communal thing.

Thanks for all who participate nicely. smile.gif

Thats it for me posting at AVS.

To arnyk and fmw, I know your intentions here are to educate people. The best teachers I can remember having were those who treated the structure as a partnership. The best teachers learn and grow, from and with, their students. The worst were the opposite. Best to you and your future students.
post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Biggest mistake I ever made was to trade in my MC252, not that I am not happy with what I upgraded to but the 252 is just flat out special.

Who the heck are you to determine what is flat out special?
Appalling arrogance.
post #52 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

Please, It is not productve to argue.

What amp do you have? How much?

Thats this thread in a nutshell. I thought it would be cool for everyone to be able to share. Something we all have in common, we have amps. smile.gif

This thread has nothing to do with "the great debate". It was meant to be fun and light. Nothing technical at all.

I crafted it intentionally to hopefully avoid these pitfalls-- and to be all inviting-- a communal thing.

Thanks for all who participate nicely. smile.gif

Thats it for me posting at AVS.

To arnyk and fmw, I know your intentions here are to educate people. The best teachers I can remember having were those who treated the structure as a partnership. The best teachers learn and grow, from and with, their students. The worst were the opposite. Best to you and your future students.

I left here for over a year because of the same guys. I am back a week or so and nothing has changed.

It's a shame moderators don't put an end to them once and for all so the rest of us can post in peace..
post #53 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I left here for over a year because of the same guys. I am back a week or so and nothing has changed.

It's a shame moderators don't put an end to them once and for all so the rest of us can post in peace..

Hey, speak for yourself. I'm at AVS and not some lame audiophile forum because of the expertise, wisdom, and no BS approach of folks like FMW and arnyk. I'm not here to brag about my gear. I'm here to learn. I learn nothing from audiophiles who boast about their gear except not to be like them.

Don't like posts from guys who truly know about sound engineering, psycho-acoustics, speaker and room interactions and audio electronics gear? Don't read 'em. Put 'em on ignore. Those guys are not going away, and thank goodness they're not. This place is better for their presence and why lots of posters like me are here at all.
post #54 of 114

I added a QSC GX5 Pro amp to give me more overhead to drive my KEF 107/2 speakers. I replaced the noisy fan in it with a much quieter one. I wish I had tried this a long time ago. It doesn't look pretty but it performs as well as any amp I've owned. Don't knock it till you've tried it. It may be cheap but the sound isn't.

post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I left here for over a year because of the same guys. I am back a week or so and nothing has changed.

It's a shame moderators don't put an end to them once and for all so the rest of us can post in peace..

What is it you think the moderators should do? Censor objective analysis in favor of baseless mythology? I mean, don't you think "audiophile" culture -- of all things -- has more than its share of "faith based" advocacy as it is?

This place functions as an audio/video science forum should. Mostly, anyway. I can recall some time back a guy "reviewing" a new Sony ES CD/SACD player and updating over a matter of days how the "soundstage was opening up" as he ran the "break-in disc" in it continuously. I was just waiting for someone to question this lunacy, but no one said a word. I just didn't have the heart.

This is a marketplace of ideas. That kinda crap shouldn't go unchallenged. Not here.


.
Edited by Brownstone322 - 12/10/13 at 7:06pm
post #56 of 114
I selected the over $2K category because combined between my 2 channel and my HT I am definitely over that mark. I run an HK 3490 for my 2 channel and I just ordered a Marantz SR7008 for my HT. When that comes in, I'm going to move my HK AVR 3600 to my 2 channel and use it as a processor with the 3490 as the amp.
post #57 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post


Your comments are neither constructive, nor welcome. Feel free to stay out of my threads. wink.gif

I'm instituting a no b.s. Policy. Piss off.

Others should do the same. We outnumber this crap! Enough is enough. mad.gif


yes, i know, it does get tiresome...

the thing is, for the most part they are very knowledgeable fellows...they have helped many on this forum, including me.

they just have this agenda to push... even in a thread like this

they DO have a right to post...YOU just have to ignore it...don't get into a "back and forth"

by the way... i have rotel amps...4500.00
post #58 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

i have rotel amps...4500.00

Good for you!

I have McIntosh amps, $11,000 for my 2 channel system.
post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

I'm not here to brag about my gear. I'm here to learn.

.

I belong to MANY audio sites and have never seen anyone brag about their systems.

If you feel someone is bragging the odds are it's how you hear, your bias against folks who have the money to spend and choose to.

In fact, the only arrogance I ever run across in any site is here. It comes from the folks who tell everyone (like you) how superior they are to have such modest wants.
post #60 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Good for you!

I have McIntosh amps, $11,000 for my 2 channel system.


?????...


I guess good for you too...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 2 Channel Audio
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › 2 Channel Audio › Poll: How much did you spend on amplification?