or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4 - Page 3

post #61 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I don't think I disagree. But they're also the only next gen, non-indy game released this month.

$60 seems smart to me. As there are people already looking for their next next gen fix.

Ahhh, what they think they can do, and what they should do are 2 different things.
If they are banking on the glut of games and early adopters gobbling up any AAA title that is out there, then more power to them.
post #62 of 348
Yup. And a GOTY contender updated with weather simulation, higher poly world assets and 4k textures isn't bad.

No Ill will here. I'll wait till it hits 30-40 and Squinix will have got their 60 total out of me in the end.
post #63 of 348
Starting playing this game on the 360 and it's fantastic. I'll likely play it again on PS4 or Xbox One, but only when it hits ~$30 or $40.
post #64 of 348
Thread Starter 
post #65 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This makes it hard to resist the double dip...

http://m.ign.com/videos/2014/01/13/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4ps3-comparison-and-analysis

Not hard for me.

Do I spend $65 after tax on the PS4 version, or get the PC version for 5 bucks on a amazon download deal (which will eventually come along cause it was just $8.50 recently).

I think I'll be able to resist.

Now, I will admit that if my RedBox was renting PS4 games, I wouldn't mind renting it.
post #66 of 348
Maybe if they offered 3D on the PS4 I could consider full price.
post #67 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This makes it hard to resist the double dip...

http://m.ign.com/videos/2014/01/13/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4ps3-comparison-and-analysis

And that is exactly what they are counting on, especially considering the lack of post launch content.

The fact that they said no DE update to the PC version is also very telling, obviously this is a pure money grab (unless you have not played it).

I seriously hope it does not sell well at $60 due to double dippers, not because of the quality of the game (it's excellent) but because it sends the wrong message.

Are the micro-transactions not enough to get where this industry is attempting to go, do we really want the same last gen games to start popping up at full price with nothing more than a facelift?

If you do I hear Joan Rivers is single... but it'll cost you. wink.gif

PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE DIP AT $60.

Jason
post #68 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

And that is exactly what they are counting on, especially considering the lack of post launch content.

The fact that they said no DE update to the PC version is also very telling, obviously this is a pure money grab (unless you have not played it).

I seriously hope it does not sell well at $60 due to double dippers, not because of the quality of the game (it's excellent) but because it sends the wrong message.

Are the micro-transactions not enough to get where this industry is attempting to go, do we really want the same last gen games to start popping up at full price with nothing more than a facelift?

If you do I hear Joan Rivers is single... but it'll cost you. wink.gif

PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE DIP AT $60.

Jason

The problem is going to be people like me, who really wanted to play the game (I rented it for the PS3 back in the summer, loved it and planned to buy, but haven't gotten around to it yet) but now that the next-gen version has been announced, will wait for that for the prettier version. That may send the wrong message, but I hope not. Had I bought this for the PS3, I would never double-dip. That's just silly.
post #69 of 348
I really don't see how this is much different than GOTY versions games. I actually think improvements like this tend to be better than throwaway DLC that most GOTY versions get.

The mass freakout by people is amusing.
post #70 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild View Post

They can keep it and really irritated about this whole thing. Beat it on the 360. They should have just delayed the damn thing and release all at once. Talk about a cash grab since it under sold any ways.

Every single game any company makes is a cash grab. They are there to make money. Period. It's not a bad thing.

The company I work for grabs cash, too, when they sell their products.. They too, are cash grabs. The more profit we can make, the better. If we make a WHOLE LOT of profit, it was s successful day. We're not in this to make nice, or to simply make an even trade. That's just spinning wheels. Profit is the name of the game.

That's the case with EVERY successful company. There's nothing wrong with that.
post #71 of 348
People double dip every year with COD.tongue.gif
post #72 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone View Post

People double dip every year with COD.tongue.gif

Well played. lol
post #73 of 348
No kidding right?

I'll have a problem if the prices for this release are sticky and if its $60 6 months from now. Otherwise they absolutely should price to demand, which means those that want it day and date pay for the privilege.

This is actually good for the rest of us. It makes a price cut make more sense, since they'd be looking to price to maximize revenue. Earlier buyers paying a premium means later buyers will get a better discount, or at least have that opportunity if the publisher is smart at pricing to maximize.

You see this trend all over in pricing from digital to physical to rereleases. And its a good thing.
post #74 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

No kidding right?

I'll have a problem if the prices for this release are sticky and if its $60 6 months from now. Otherwise they absolutely should price to demand, which means those that want it day and date pay for the privilege.

This is actually good for the rest of us. It makes a price cut make more sense, since they'd be looking to price to maximize revenue. Earlier buyers paying a premium means later buyers will get a better discount, or at least have that opportunity if the publisher is smart at pricing to maximize.

You see this trend all over in pricing from digital to physical to rereleases. And its a good thing.


No, I'm not kidding - I'm 100% serious. And I agree with you that if you feel it's priced too high, to simply not buy it. The market will dictate the comfort spot for price.

If they're charging $60, and it remains at $60 6 months from now, it's cause people are buying it and they're making money.

Again, I respect your choice not to but it at that price though.

For me (I never got it for the PS3), I'm really looking forward to it, it'll be a first day purchase.
post #75 of 348
I skipped it on PS3, but may get it now. Looks pretty fun.
post #76 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I really don't see how this is much different than GOTY versions games. I actually think improvements like this tend to be better than throwaway DLC that most GOTY versions get.

The mass freakout by people is amusing.


The difference here being that the GOTY editions are generally not full price. wink.gif

For those that are full priced the implication is that eye candy is a better value than added content with more gameplay? confused.gif

I have no problem with them doing this but the game is being re-released at $60 due to lack of post launch Xone/PS4 content and they figure they can get away with it, look at their timing (which is both brilliant and blatant).

I don't see anyone here freaking out, where are they freaking out?. confused.gif



Chairman7w,

Obviously they are in business to make money but moves like these can sour opinions for a particular developer/publisher.

My fear with all of this is the industry adopting more of EA's money grubbing practices.



William Mapstone,

"People double dip every year with COD."

Basically the same gameplay year after year, indeed, but it is 'different & new' content so not an appropriate analogy (even though the sarcasm was funny wink.gif).




Of course all of this banter is likely fodder as the game will probably be on sale for $39.99 within the first ~month. cool.gif
smile.gif
Jason
post #77 of 348
I hope people buy it so they make a sequel. I enjoyed what I played of it on the PS3, very well done game.
post #78 of 348
$39.99 and they would have sold oodles
post #79 of 348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

$39.99 and they would have sold oodles

Give it a few weeks. That is now my jumping point price wise as well.

The sequel has already been green lit and this is a test for a few of the new things going into it. (Like Lara's model updates) As well as a chance for the team to see what the next gen consoles can do.
post #80 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The difference here being that the GOTY editions are generally not full price. wink.gif

For those that are full priced the implication is that eye candy is a better value than added content with more gameplay? confused.gif

I have no problem with them doing this but the game is being re-released at $60 due to lack of post launch Xone/PS4 content and they figure they can get away with it, look at their timing (which is both brilliant and blatant).

I don't see anyone here freaking out, where are they freaking out?. confused.gif

Not here, but the internet is awash in CAG's ticked off that they dare release it at full price, added to a bunch of insecure PC masters that are salty they're not getting the best looking version.

As far as getting away with it, thats just another word for price. Price is the just charging what the market will bare. There won't be a ton buying this for $60, so well see it drop quickly. NBD.
post #81 of 348
I'll rent it from Gamefly but I will not buy it.
post #82 of 348
You know, the improvement to her face really does look amazing, but I know they could do the same thing to the PC version if they wanted to, but they are just trying to do something.... "exclusive" for the PS4 and XB1 to give it some extra hype. The screenshots that I've seen look very impressive, and I'd really love to rent the game and check it out for two days. Unfortunately, Redbox seems to be allergic to next-gen and I'm not paying anywhere near $59.99 for the thing. If it was $39.99, I'd be somewhat tempted, and if it was $29.99 and had amazing reviews, I'd probably go ahead and snag it. I'd be paying 6 times what I might have to pay on a Steam sale, but at the same time, I would have a physical disk that I could later sell off to somebody else on craigslist, so it all evens out I guess.. The Steam way is less hassle, but you know... that new console smell and all, lol. smile.gif
post #83 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

This makes it hard to resist the double dip...

http://m.ign.com/videos/2014/01/13/tomb-raider-definitive-edition-ps4ps3-comparison-and-analysis

It had the opposite effect on me. I'm disappointed with "next gen". How the heck could 7 years have passed and the two titles look so close. I'd be happy playing either one. There wasn't that much difference there.
post #84 of 348
Hard to judge based on a compressed stream (heavily, I might add), especially when you get down to the texture work that has been done. But honestly, were expecting it to look completely different?

To me, I'll happily drop the $60 on this again as I enjoyed it so much the first time. A couple of friends told me to "pick it up on Steam" for super cheap, but I don't have a gaming rig (I do have a more than capable machine but it's for work only). Granted, $40 would've been even better, but an extra $20 for the amount of time I'll sink into it is worth it.
post #85 of 348
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It had the opposite effect on me. I'm disappointed with "next gen". How the heck could 7 years have passed and the two titles look so close. I'd be happy playing either one. There wasn't that much difference there.

The game came out a year ago, and this is little more than an enhanced port of a game built around the limits of the previous consoles. Most of the tech they had to fake last gen is now being done properly. The bump to 1080p native will be more noticable than any other upgrade they do.

If you want examples of next gen graphics, check out Battlefield 4's single player, it has some stunning scenes. Assassin's Creed 4 does pretty well with environment effects and the water is amazing.
post #86 of 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

It had the opposite effect on me. I'm disappointed with "next gen". How the heck could 7 years have passed and the two titles look so close. I'd be happy playing either one. There wasn't that much difference there.

Agreed. I have seen nothing yet that has me even slightly tempted to grab a next gen console.
post #87 of 348
I meant the gaming hardware when I said 7 years ago. PS3 - 2006, PS4 - 2013.

I am about half way through the PC version on a fourth Gen I7 with a GTX 670. It looks as good on my PC as any of the video's I've seen of the Definitive Edition. Since the hardware is better on my PC than the PS4 - I guess I understand why. For Shame - I'll probably skip this generation of consoles. I had both 360 and PS3 when they came out. Launch day for 360, and launch month for PS3. I put many hours into both, but I just don't see that the two new consoles are that superior over the 7-8 year old consoles. (xbox 360 = 2005, new version = 2014) The fact that both of these new consoles are based on X86 architecture means our computer game parallel selections for PC should be quite fantastic this go round! The console game companies would be foolish not to port over all titles to PC. So games like God of War, Drakes Fortune - etc may find their way to PC finally.
post #88 of 348
Thread Starter 
"So games like God of War, Drakes Fortune - etc may find their way to PC finally."

Never going to happen, same for Nintendo games. (Microsoft is less certain but still unlikely)

The hardware in the last consoles were far ahead of their time. The 360 had a GPU that was six months more advanced than top computer hardware at the time. The PS3 has Cell, which does things that even top computers still struggle with.

The last generation was an odd ball, overpowered hardware and a generation that dragged on for far too long. The PS4 is basically the slim revision right out of the gate, that was the advantage to waiting an extra 2 years to launch.

Just remember, launch games never show what the hardware can do, compare Perfect Dark Zero to Gears of War, amazing what an extra year did. Also compare early PS3 titles like Resistance or Untold Legends to The Last of Us or Beyond. The launch lineup never even hints at what new consoles can truly do.
post #89 of 348
Yeah, people just need to remember that the first generation or two of software for a new Console cycle are not much more than enhanced versions of what was possible on the last generation consoles. It takes some time for developers to wrap their minds around programming on the new machines and getting the most out of them.

It should be faster this time with the consoles basically having PC architecture, but that learning curve still exists.
post #90 of 348
Salty. Told ya. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for PS4