or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › The Lone Ranger (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Lone Ranger (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3

post #61 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post

I totally agree with what you said and Ralph's review. The cinematography was absolutely beautiful and the soundtrack was excellent. After the first shootout scene ended, I just had to replay it. Bullets were flying everywhere from my speakers!!!!! The last 45 minutes were well worth the wait! There were a couple of scenes that dragged but overall I was very impressed. Silver was one of the best characters and should be given an Academy Award for best supporting actor!!!

You are absolutely right about the cinematography; it was gorgeous and teeming with details! And the action in the surrounds was crazy...that first Shootout scene told me "We're in for AUDIO NIRVANA with this Blu-ray! There were a couple of times where my wife and I jumped, one of them being when a door was slammed from behind us. I had the volume on -12 and I kept thinking, "Whoa, what would happen if I turned it up all the way to reference level?!" But my wife probably would have left the room so I restrained myself. wink.gif
post #62 of 72
Ralph, i read yours reviews mainly for the technical analysis as i already know the plot; always educational and informative. When you discuss dialog and such, perhaps you can describe a scene and tell us what to listen for. I have a very good sound system but the only thing i'm aware of - it just sounds good - the way it should.

As for this movie, WOW - EDITOR PLEASE - as in trim 30 minutes of fat. The highlight of the movie around 2hr. 4 minutes when we hear the William Tell Overture - i smiled, a jump out of your seat moment - best part of the movie for sure.
Edited by Orbitron - 1/17/14 at 8:32pm
post #63 of 72

Ralph,you were spot on with the audio and video ratings  but

IMO a little generous with the rating for the film itself.Worth a rent

and I may buy just for the AV.Enjoy your reviews and keep up the good work.

post #64 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

WOW - EDITOR PLEASE - as in trim 30 minutes of fat. The highlight of the movie around 2hr. 4 minutes when we hear the William Tell Overture - i smiled, a jump out of your seat moment - best part of the movie for sure.

I watched this movie last night and was pleasantly surprised. And I had the same feeling when the train sequence elicited the William Tell Overture. The movie really got pumped at that point. I absolutely agree that 30 minutes of film excised would have given a much more riveting movie. There were lines that were very funny that would have been funnier if there was Not a "too long pause" after it. A pause does help the funny parts at times, but the pacing was more in need of help than anything in this movie. I thought it had all the parts necessary for a much better movie.
The western look and the locations were great. As the movie began I felt as though I was seeing an excellent representation of the old west. Excellent work all around in this respect. Even as the plot developed I felt as though this film had real worth. I liked the opening scene with the young boy visiting an old west Diorama. And Tonto (who seemed to be Jack Crabb from Little Big Man) as the narrative excuse for this film being told was a good device: little masked man moving the story forward with queries.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I even liked the sister-in-law love story. The problem (for me) was the Lone Ranger character himself. We did NOT see the transformation of the man. He was stiff and verbose with rote speeches about law in the opening. It would have been great to see him become more certain and quietly strong. He still seemed like Tonto's sidekick at the end. I do think the reversal of role was funny at the beginning but I wanted to see him grow into what Tonto's humorous prodding could have caused. He could have appeared more powerful and steady at the end. Perhaps if at the end the audience were to see Tonto's grudging appreciation of his acquired stature (stature, not height) that would translate to the audience's reevaluation and proper admiration of The Lone Ranger.

The sound and video was first rate. I really enjoyed the technical quality of this Blu-ray. And the extras are well worth watching. The first one about Armie's experiences was a travelogue with visuals that I wish I could go see. Quite beautiful scenery.

I recommend this as a rental (Netflix disc came With extras. Yay!)

I gave the movie 3 out of 5 at Netflix. The tech ratings are near perfect. Ralphs's review is quite excellent. This movie is better than I thought it would be from what I have read others say.

Just my opinion.
Edited by Cyrano - 1/24/14 at 12:51pm
post #65 of 72
I read many negative reviews on this movie. I did not buy, but I did rent and thought it was a great and fun movie all around. I love Johnny Depp and his talent never ceases to amaze me as he takes on something new. This was Pirates of the Carribean fun IMHO.

I am starting to rely less on like IMDB reviews as time goes on and just getting whatever seems as if it would appeal to my liking.
post #66 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I watched this movie last night and was pleasantly surprised. And I had the same feeling when the train sequence elicited the William Tell Overture. The movie really got pumped at that point. I absolutely agree that 30 minutes of film excised would have given a much more riveting movie. There were lines that were very funny that would have been funnier if there was Not a "too long pause" after it. A pause does help the funny parts at times, but the pacing was more in need of help than anything in this movie. I thought it had all the parts necessary for a much better movie.
The western look and the locations were great. As the movie began I felt as though I was seeing an excellent representation of the old west. Excellent work all around in this respect. Even as the plot developed I felt as though this film had real worth. I liked the opening scene with the young boy visiting an old west Diorama. And Tonto (who seemed to be Jack Crabb from Little Big Man) as the narrative excuse for this film being told was a good device: little masked man moving the story forward with queries.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I even liked the sister-in-law love story. The problem (for me) was the Lone Ranger character himself. We did NOT see the transformation of the man. He was stiff and verbose with rote speeches about law in the opening. It would have been great to see him become more certain and quietly strong. He still seemed like Tonto's sidekick at the end. I do think the reversal of role was funny at the beginning but I wanted to see him grow into what Tonto's humorous prodding could have caused. He could have appeared more powerful and steady at the end. Perhaps if at the end the audience were to see Tonto's grudging appreciation of his acquired stature (stature, not height) that would translate to the audience's reevaluation and proper admiration of The Lone Ranger.

The sound and video was first rate. I really enjoyed the technical quality of this Blu-ray. And the extras are well worth watching. The first one about Armie's experiences was a travelogue with visuals that I wish I could go see. Quite beautiful scenery.

I recommend this as a rental (Netflix disc came With extras. Yay!)

I gave the movie 3 out of 5 at Netflix. The tech ratings are near perfect. Ralphs's review is quite excellent. This movie is better than I thought it would be from what I have read others say.

Just my opinion.

That's an EXCELLENT POSt, and completely sums up how I felt about this movie also!

They shoulda cut out like a good 30 minutes or so true. 2 hours and 30 minutes for any flick can be pushing it. And also your spoiler comment I could not agree with more! To add to your comments on that, I think they should have done as you suggested, but also....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It got kind of old, the whole "I can't shoot you because I don't believe in killing people with guns" or whatever. It kept popping up where he had a bad guy dead to rights, and nothing happened. The bad guy knew it, and it felt like cat catching a mouse, where once he finally caught the mouse, he didn't know what to do with it. Just kind of silly and over used. rolleyes.gif
post #67 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

They shoulda cut out like a good 30 minutes or so true. 2 hours and 30 minutes for any flick can be pushing it. And also your spoiler comment I could not agree with more! To add to your comments on that, I think they should have done as you suggested, but also....

Personally I feel they should have edited out 2 hours and 30 minutes, that would have made it bearable.
post #68 of 72
Perhaps I missed it but there is supposed to be an iconic moment right at the end where one of townspeople says: "Who was that Masked Man?" Perhaps the "Hi-O Silver" that was deflated by the "actual" hero (in this turnabout version) Tonto, was sufficient homage to the original.

I still wish the character of The Lone Ranger could have gradually transformed from the Duddley-Do-Right guy we saw at the beginning to an updated stalwart Clayton Moore-type by the end. Would've been cool.

IMO, of course.
post #69 of 72
Finally watched it last night and while I may not be in the minority in disliking the film, I might be in saying that I was disappointed with the LFE. Picture was amazing, and even the surround action. But I was hoping for more LFE. I even turned the volume up higher than usual. After the movie I replayed the early train crash and ending scenes, but I wasn't impressed. Basically I set Valkyrie as the standard as far as LFE is concerned, so that may be why I'm left wanting in this film and others. Anyway, glad I Netflix-ed it. cool.gif
post #70 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Finally watched it last night and while I may not be in the minority in disliking the film, I might be in saying that I was disappointed with the LFE. Picture was amazing, and even the surround action. But I was hoping for more LFE. I even turned the volume up higher than usual. After the movie I replayed the early train crash and ending scenes, but I wasn't impressed. Basically I set Valkyrie as the standard as far as LFE is concerned, so that may be why I'm left wanting in this film and others. Anyway, glad I Netflix-ed it. cool.gif

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in terminal33. Sorry to hear the LFE left you wanting. I agree about the standout LFE in Valkyrie... smile.gif


Regards,
post #71 of 72
I was not happy with Depp's performance in this movie, his performance also reminded me a little to much of Roger Moore in the Bond movies (limited facial expressions). I believe this movie would have been better if someone ''fresh'' would have been chosen to play that part. That Lone Ranger guy was kind of ''fresh'' and that worked out well. The movie was also a bit to long AFAIK. I did like the movie. I consider it to be a renewal of the genre, so go and buy or rent it somewere..
post #72 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The movie was also a bit to long AFAIK.

BINGO!! exactly how I felt. The movie was a bit long and slow-paced at times. It could have done fine without a good 25-35 minutes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › The Lone Ranger (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review