or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

...Setting 2 looks great so I don't see it as an issue. it would be nice though to give built in controls over this dynamic gamma. Maybe in the RS58 in 9 months... smile.gif

Have you poked around in the service menu? I wonder if there are any controls in there that will let you fine tune iris 1 and iris 2...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

...It's not perfect though, when that scene transitions to Tom Cruise in the chair, you can definitely 'see' the changes going back and forth but it's not as distracting at the iris on the 600 in the spiderman scene @ 29:00..

On my VW95 I have aggressively fine tuned the iris in the service menu. This gives me an excellent black floor (as far as the VW95 can do - not close the the JVC) and still preserves much of the brightness. However in some scenes I do get pumping - and its a direct result of my aggressive tuning. I really don't mind the occasional (rare) pumping that much, because I know that I set it that way on purpose and I know the benefit I'm getting from doing that. So with this in mind, personally I don't think some occasional pumping on the JVC would bother me, but even still, sounds like it is very rare or subtle based on early reports so that's very encouraging.
post #332 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The only difference I can see between 1 and 2 is the dynamic gamma, the mechanics of the iris opening / closing are identical.

this is relatively straight-forward, I think they just went a little too far with the gamma setting in iris 1. My guess is in very low APL scenes is could be as high as 2.6 which is crushing details.

Setting 2 looks great so I don't see it as an issue. it would be nice though to give built in controls over this dynamic gamma. Maybe in the RS58 in 9 months... smile.gif

Zombie. what gamma have you been testing on?
I've been using 2.3
post #333 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Given the number of AVS posters vs. members I think it's safe to say that the majority of people are observers.

In any case, anyone who *doesn't* have the issue please let us know.

I assumed everyone did so I haven't even opened the box.


I suspect there may be many owners who have only had infrequent problems like myself. I've got 36 hours on the projector and have only had two HDMI related issues--once the first night and once at about 12 hours. Both times I was able to shut down the projector using the power button. That is two issues too many and the handshaking takes longer than it should but I'm confident JVC will get it worked out. I feel bad for those owners with severe problems but I am grateful mine is very usable in the meantime. I do see some people on this forum making mountains out of molehills in my opinion, in some cases by people who haven't even seen and/owned the new units or had firsthand experience between the X55 and X500, etc. To restate what I shared recently with a forum member via PM:

"I'm really liking the unit! I tried to temper the "this projector is awesome" hype for a couple of days so I could let things settle in... I really do think it looks great though and I'm absolutely convinced it was a good upgrade for me coming from my X55, which at the time I thought was a great unit at it's price point.

What I probably like most is the ability to run the new unit aperture wide open or only partially closed for light output while still having the ability of the iris to clamp down all the way for low APL scenes using Auto 2 on the II. I run a 142" Seymour Centerstage XD acoustic screen (1.2 gain), so the extra light output has been great for the scope material. The 40 percent reduction between pixels coupled with the reworked optical assembly/light path is a significant improvement in my opinion relative to light output.

I also much prefer the lower pitch of the fan when in high lamp, which is only used for 3D for me. I never hear it except for very quiet passages which are rare (perhaps the upcoming release of Gravity in 3D will change that--haven't seen it yet).

I haven't noticed much difference with e-shift engaged on HD material, I'm going to have to look into it more closely. On the X55 you could change modes (SD, HD, High Resolution, etc) which made the changes more apparent.

I've been happy to see forum users like zombie10k and Cine4Home post some their calibration data and confirm what my limited calibration abilities using an AVS HD 709 and Spears & Munsil calibration disc patterns indicated, that the new units have great brightness and good color accuracy. Gamma seems to be nearly perfect with the 2.2 custom setting according to the guys with the gear to measure it appropriately, which I hope to do myself in the future)."

I would add to those comments that I'm more and more thrilled with the X500 each day. The 3D looks good to me and is at a point where I would say it's competitive with the competition. I just watched two more movies on it tonight and the picture was full of pop, with great shadow detail in the night scenes, leaving no question in my mind upgrading was the right thing for me. If I had one sitting waiting to be opened I would go for it as I just can't see JVC not remedying the problems once their team finally gets back to work. Hopefully my comments are representative of some other new owners who are equally happy and just too busy watching to post. Perhaps once the HDMI issues are fixed and my machine has been thoroughly calibrated my comments will start sounding more like Mark's first fanboy review preview wink.gif
post #334 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post

I am hoping CES will introduce more LED DLP projector (more or leass getting rid of the rainbow problem at 20X) othwerwise X500 seems to be a good choise.

LED is not a universal cure for DLP rainbows. I still see them on high-end single chip LED DLP projectors. I also see them on Plasma panels so maybe I'm more sensitive than most. I think the only fix will always be 3-chip DLP. I can't understand why those have never come down in price. Also, no DLP is going to offer you JVC type contrast without resorting to dynamic iris tricks and possible artifacts.
Edited by Wizziwig - 1/5/14 at 3:36pm
post #335 of 1272
Easy there...the "tricks" are now being used by all parties involved smile.gif Irises can be a good thing if implemented properly.

FraggleRock has it right, perspective is everything. A year from now this projector will be winning every "Best of..." award that reviews can throw at it, and they won't even mention the first few weeks where the majority of users had HDMI handshake problems. JVC has a Product of the Year type machine on their hands and they would be fools to let it fade away by not fixing the minor bugs that plague it now.

I still think its imperative that anyone with the HDMI issues email/call JVC, we know they are aware of the problem but the more pressure they get from the buyers, the faster a fix will come.
Edited by pottscb - 1/5/14 at 5:11am
post #336 of 1272
Also, while perusing the JVC website I found some interesting information, be sure and get on pro.jvc.com and register your projector sooner rather than later:

Product Registration for U.S. & Canadian purchasers of professional models
Product registration within 30 days of purchase is required
to activate all promotional extended warranties.


Also, I see there is a factor service facility in Long Beach CA...interesting.
post #337 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

FraggleRock has it right, perspective is everything. A year from now this projector will be winning every "Best of..." award that reviews can throw at it, and they won't even mention the first few weeks where the majority of users had HDMI handshake problems. JVC has a Product of the Year type machine on their hands and they would be fools to let it fade away by not fixing the minor bugs that plague it now.

I still think its imperative that anyone with the HDMI issues email/call JVC, we know they are aware of the problem but the more pressure they get from the buyers, the faster a fix will come.

What amazes me is that JVC has allowed the delivery of the PJs, who can believe that they themselves did not detect those defaults .... confused.gif
post #338 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-34 View Post

What amazes me is that JVC has allowed the delivery of the PJs, who can believe that they themselves did not detect those defaults .... confused.gif

Mike at AVS tells me that these were shipped before JVC had time to check the units...therefore, those of us who paid extra for the 4910 and its "extra thorough final QC" got the shaft as that's the only reason I paid extra for the 4910. Kinda think they should refund us the difference between the RS4910 and RS49...I'll take my refund through a few pairs of 3D glasses though! wink.gif(I'm forgiving like that!)
post #339 of 1272
Hi Experts,

I just hook up my X500 and search for the best OOTB settings. Can somebody summarise which settings are the best for Movies (D65 & 2.2 Gamma)? Later I will use my Lumagen to do a auto calibration, but for now I want to enjoy some movies with some fine tuned OOTB settings. Any feedback in regards this? Maybe it makes sense to update this settings on the first page.

Cheers
S.
post #340 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post

I suspect there may be many owners who have only had infrequent problems like myself. I've got 36 hours on the projector and have only had two HDMI related issues--once the first night and once at about 12 hours. Both times I was able to shut down the projector using the power button. That is two issues too many and the handshaking takes longer than it should but I'm confident JVC will get it worked out. I feel bad for those owners with severe problems but I am grateful mine is very usable in the meantime. I do see some people on this forum making mountains out of molehills in my opinion, in some cases by people who haven't even seen and/owned the new units or had firsthand experience between the X55 and X500, etc. To restate what I shared recently with a forum member via PM:

"I'm really liking the unit! I tried to temper the "this projector is awesome" hype for a couple of days so I could let things settle in... I really do think it looks great though and I'm absolutely convinced it was a good upgrade for me coming from my X55, which at the time I thought was a great unit at it's price point.

What I probably like most is the ability to run the new unit aperture wide open or only partially closed for light output while still having the ability of the iris to clamp down all the way for low APL scenes using Auto 2 on the II. I run a 142" Seymour Centerstage XD acoustic screen (1.2 gain), so the extra light output has been great for the scope material. The 40 percent reduction between pixels coupled with the reworked optical assembly/light path is a significant improvement in my opinion relative to light output.

I also much prefer the lower pitch of the fan when in high lamp, which is only used for 3D for me. I never hear it except for very quiet passages which are rare (perhaps the upcoming release of Gravity in 3D will change that--haven't seen it yet).

I haven't noticed much difference with e-shift engaged on HD material, I'm going to have to look into it more closely. On the X55 you could change modes (SD, HD, High Resolution, etc) which made the changes more apparent.

I've been happy to see forum users like zombie10k and Cine4Home post some their calibration data and confirm what my limited calibration abilities using an AVS HD 709 and Spears & Munsil calibration disc patterns indicated, that the new units have great brightness and good color accuracy. Gamma seems to be nearly perfect with the 2.2 custom setting according to the guys with the gear to measure it appropriately, which I hope to do myself in the future)."

I would add to those comments that I'm more and more thrilled with the X500 each day. The 3D looks good to me and is at a point where I would say it's competitive with the competition. I just watched two more movies on it tonight and the picture was full of pop, with great shadow detail in the night scenes, leaving no question in my mind upgrading was the right thing for me. If I had one sitting waiting to be opened I would go for it as I just can't see JVC not remedying the problems once their team finally gets back to work. Hopefully my comments are representative of some other new owners who are equally happy and just too busy watching to post. Perhaps once the HDMI issues are fixed and my machine has been thoroughly calibrated my comments will start sounding more like Mark's first fanboy review preview wink.gif

Thanks for chiming in. It seems you're minimally affected, but you haven't escaped it entirely. The good news is that it appears that these units are worth waiting for the fix wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed, and unit packed up, until we get a response from JVC - just for the unlikely possibility this is hardware related. Not having a screen makes that an easy choice smile.gif, but if not for this issue I would have had it out for an operational test run.
post #341 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Mike at AVS tells me that these were shipped before JVC had time to check the units...therefore, those of us who paid extra for the 4910 and its "extra thorough final QC" got the shaft as that's the only reason I paid extra for the 4910. Kinda think they should refund us the difference between the RS4910 and RS49...I'll take my refund through a few pairs of 3D glasses though! wink.gif(I'm forgiving like that!)

Hey-You still got the extra year on the Warranty and it's ISF certified!
post #342 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Also, while perusing the JVC website I found some interesting information, be sure and get on pro.jvc.com and register your projector sooner rather than later:

Product Registration for U.S. & Canadian purchasers of professional models
Product registration within 30 days of purchase is required
to activate all promotional extended warranties.


Also, I see there is a factor service facility in Long Beach CA...interesting.

Yeah, if I had been able to purchase a 4910 I would be really bummed about the extra QC price premium. The suggestion that JVC do something for everyone on this initial batch--especially 4910 owners is a good one... smile.gif

BTW, X500 owners take note that you won't be able to register at pro.jvc.com but will instead need to register on the consumer site. Unfortunately the link provided on the X500 product page located here goes to https://www.warrantechprotectionplan.com/jvcreg which appears to have been down ever since I received my unit. Have any other consumer model owners been able to register online? The product registration page under customer support on the site goes to the same invalid URL.

I also submitted a feedback email 5 days ago to JVC and received an automated reply stating: "Your email will be processed by the next available agent" and I have yet to receive a reply. While I realize the engineering team has been out and tech support probably has no good resolution to convey at this point, some kind of non-automated reply would be nice in the meantime--even just a "we're working on a solution"... Come on JVC, these aren't cheap pieces of equipment--customers deserve and have certainly paid for some customer service here!

Edit: To their credit, the JVC Japan website has a disclaimer stating they won't be answering emails between 12/28/2013 and 01/05/2014 although I don't currently see or remember seeing the same disclaimer on the JVC USA site...
Edited by FraggleRock - 1/5/14 at 9:25am
post #343 of 1272
Just to add to the body of HDMI reports, since someone mentioned a lack thereof, I have had no lock up issues with my 4910. Handshake blanking at changes during previews and studio logos before the main movie starts do occur. I have only watched Blu-ray discs so far. I have fed the 4910 directly from my Oppo 93 and through my Iscan Duo at auto in/out and the issue is the same. I have not done a lot of critical viewing yet because I'm watching movies and enjoying the improvement in picture quality from my RS40. In the audio world its like going from Audyssey XT to XT32, if anyone can relate to that. Because the picture was so good OTB I have not played around with the settings too much. One thing I did do was close down the manual iris due to the increased brightness over the RS40 and my short throw. When I get into my technical mode and have some time I'll put the Duo back into the loop and set up my EyeOne D3, but I really want to get more hours on the thing before I do a lot of that. I have not watched "Avatar" in a while so I think I'll check out the DI, or II, or AI (whatever) in the scene that seanbryan mentioned earlier.
post #344 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Mike at AVS tells me that these were shipped before JVC had time to check the units...therefore, those of us who paid extra for the 4910 and its "extra thorough final QC" got the shaft as that's the only reason I paid extra for the 4910. Kinda think they should refund us the difference between the RS4910 and RS49...I'll take my refund through a few pairs of 3D glasses though! wink.gif(I'm forgiving like that!)
Really? That's crap. I wanted the preorder pricing but wasn't in such a hurry to get my projector that I would've willingly accepted that the extra QC step be skipped. I actually value the extra QC (well, only if it's done); I wonder whether they would've caught my projector's bright corners that I'm now stuck with. mad.gif

Honestly this is pretty upsetting. JVC is selling us services that they're simply not providing. I absolutely do feel like I didn't get something I paid for that would've perhaps mitigated a few minor issues that I have. I don't understand how AVAD and JVC could allow this to happen. Oh well, the extra QC check is probably dubious at best anyway.

As always, kudos to AVS for shooting straight with its customers.
Edited by Schwa - 1/5/14 at 12:59pm
post #345 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Really? That's crap. I wanted the preorder pricing but wasn't in such a hurry to get my projector that I would've willingly accepted that the extra QC step be skipped. I actually value the extra QC (well, only if it's done); I wonder whether they would've caught my projector's bright corners that I'm now stuck with. mad.gif

Honestly this is pretty upsetting. JVC is selling us services that they're simply not providing. I absolutely do feel like I didn't get something I paid for that would've perhaps mitigated a few minor issues that I have. I don't understand how AVAD and JVC could allow this to happen. Oh well, the extra QC check is probably dubious at best anyway.

As always, kudos to AVS for shooting straight with its customers.

You did get an extra year on the warranty. That's worth something.
post #346 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Mike at AVS tells me that these were shipped before JVC had time to check the units...therefore, those of us who paid extra for the 4910 and its "extra thorough final QC" got the shaft as that's the only reason I paid extra for the 4910. Kinda think they should refund us the difference between the RS4910 and RS49...I'll take my refund through a few pairs of 3D glasses though! wink.gif(I'm forgiving like that!)

You misunderstood what I was saying. The extra inspection takes place at the factory and the factory is not in the US. The projectors are then shipped to the US, the software is flashed to the projectors and then they are shipped out. You were venting about the US JVC engineer's being on vacation. The US engineers are who we (dealers and suppliers) will be dealing with to get this resolved. I doubt the US engineers have been able to spend any working time with a final version, before they were shipped.

If anybody wants to know the price difference between a 49 and 4910, call me. I think you will be surprised.
Edited by AV Science Sales 5 - 1/5/14 at 1:26pm
Reply
Reply
post #347 of 1272
I can't remember if I reported before but I did have a problem with HDMI2 but I simply unplugged the projector for a few minutes and it works fine now. I haven't rechecked HDMI1 yet. I have to say we are really impressed with our new 4910 so far and I am way to ignorant to have messed with any adjustments of any sort other than lens shift and focus. Is there a way to focus on the program versus the grid? Also, I want to do a CIH screen of 46-47" height and am struggling to be assured that the throw I am calculating is workable as well as the vertical lens shift. Is there any actual degradation to using lens shift? How accurate is the table in the manual for throw distance? Is the measurement to the screen surface from the front of the projector or an inch or so back to the actual lens surface? Thank you for any answers.
post #348 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You misunderstood what I was saying. The extra inspection takes place at the factory and the factory is not in the US. The projectors are then shipped to the US, the software is flashed to the projectors and then they are shipped out. You were venting about the US JVC engineer's being on vacation. The US engineers are who we (dealers and suppliers) will be dealing with to get this resolved. I doubt the US engineers have been able to spend any working time with a final version, before they were shipped.

If anybody wants to know the price difference between a 49 and 4910, call me. I think you will be surprised.

When they leave the factory in China are they not in the box that the US consumer receives? I can't see them un-boxing, flashing software, and then re-boxing them.
post #349 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Really? That's crap. I wanted the preorder pricing but wasn't in such a hurry to get my projector that I would've willingly accepted that the extra QC step be skipped. I actually value the extra QC (well, only if it's done); I wonder whether they would've caught my projector's bright corners that I'm now stuck with. mad.gif

Honestly this is pretty upsetting. JVC is selling us services that they're simply not providing. I absolutely do feel like I didn't get something I paid for that would've perhaps mitigated a few minor issues that I have. I don't understand how AVAD and JVC could allow this to happen. Oh well, the extra QC check is probably dubious at best anyway.

As always, kudos to AVS for shooting straight with its customers.

Not what I said. See my reply to Pottscb. Also the extra cost through us would be for the 49, not 4910. If you want an explanation for that, give me a call. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #350 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

When they leave the factory in China are they not in the box that the US consumer receives? I can't see them un-boxing, flashing software, and then re-boxing them.

Why, can you not see this? This gives the Japan JVC engineer's an extra week to work on the software. That is why it is done this way.
Reply
Reply
post #351 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Why, can you not see this? This gives the Japan JVC engineer's an extra week to work on the software. That is why it is done this way.

Then everybody's box is really not factory sealed when they receive it? Opened and re-taped? That would be pretty obvious. Do they include literature explaining that the box was opened and resealed after JVC USA installed the necessary software?
post #352 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Then everybody's box is really not factory sealed when they receive it? Opened and re-taped? That would be pretty obvious. Do they include literature explaining that the box was opened and resealed after JVC USA installed the necessary software?

JVC is the one packaging and sealing. These are not open box.

Added
I would say it is a pretty smart way of doing this. Otherwise the software engineers would not have the extra time to work on the software.
Reply
Reply
post #353 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

JVC is the one packaging and sealing. These are not open box. You guys are on a witch hunt.

No witch hunt Mike. Just trying to understand something that seems odd to me.
post #354 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

No witch hunt Mike. Just trying to understand something that seems odd to me.

Note, I did edit my post, right after posting. smile.gif
Reply
Reply
post #355 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Then everybody's box is really not factory sealed when they receive it? Opened and re-taped? That would be pretty obvious. Do they include literature explaining that the box was opened and resealed after JVC USA installed the necessary software?
My 4810 had "JVC USA" tape on it when I received it last year as if precisely that had happened: that it had been re-opened, inspected, then boxed back up. It also had a separate certificate inside its box explaining the extra QA it had been through. I don't know if the process changed from last year to this year but my 4910 had neither of these things (the JVC USA tape nor the certificate). I don't know whether that means anything, but one could see how I'd assume that no extra QA had been completed based on Mike's purported statement (which he since clarified) and the packaging differences between last year and this year.

Oh well, no big deal either way. I just assumed AVAD and/or JVC USA did the extra QA since the xx10 projectors are only available through AVAD.
Edited by Schwa - 1/5/14 at 5:28pm
post #356 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

My 4810 had "JVC USA" tape on it when I received it last year as if precisely that had happened: that it had been re-opened, inspected, then boxed back up. It also had a separate certificate inside its box explaining the extra QA it had been through. I don't know if the process changed from last year to this year but my 4910 had neither of these things (the JVC USA tape nor the certificate). I don't know whether that means anything, but one could see how I'd assume that no extra QA had been completed based on Mike's purported statement (which he since clarified) and the packaging differences between last year and this year.

Oh well, no big deal either way. I just assumed AVAD and/or JVC USA did the extra QA since the xx10 projectors are only available through AVAD.
I would assume this is not just a US only deal.

The extra QA takes place at the factory. I am not sure of the process, was just told they are shipped without the firmware installed so that JVC can use that extra week for working on the software and that they were flashed right before shipping to suppliers. I don't know if they come in the 4910 boxes or if they are flashed and and then packaged in the 4910 boxes. I would think that is how it is done for JVC projectors shipped to other countries. It makes sense, that JVC uses that shipping time, just like they do with the US.
Reply
Reply
post #357 of 1272
Mike. I don't think its smart at all. Its mostly greedy. This method only works if the JVC Japanese engineers only need a week more to further tune the software and, and here is the obvious kicker, validate it. No beta testing at all of the software edits or whatever is done in the last clock ticking week. The product was already delayed by several weeks and further delay would not be economically tolerated. I suspect the engineers were not given the time they needed. Obviously no testing to see how it works at 720p in, 1080 in, European standards in. Obviously this was not done. This design, build, and business model is a crap shoot. If it works, the company wins having an earlier economic return on its investment. If it fails, as apparently has happened here and to me, but perhaps not to some who have an economic or political interest in defending JVCs practices, it is inexcusable to let a product ship with this type of flaw but of course with the model JVC uses, it can happen, and when it does short term damage is done to the business but also the customer suffers a cost as well. Anger, unhappiness, doubt about choosing the product. Faith in the company. Let see if JVC stands up and says it's sorry and has taken steps not to let this happen again. Obviously, JVC didn't know about the flaw. My question and all of yours should be, why didn't they know, and what will they do to prevent something like this for happening again next year? And products like this will usually contain some flaws which only show up in the field. But nothing basic and critical like this.
post #358 of 1272
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I would assume this is not just a US only deal.

The extra QA takes place at the factory. I am not sure of the process, was just told they are shipped without the firmware installed so that JVC can use that extra week for working on the software and that they were flashed right before shipping to suppliers. I don't know if they come in the 4910 boxes or if they are flashed and and then packaged in the 4910 boxes. I would think that is how it is done for JVC projectors shipped to other countries. It makes sense, that JVC uses that shipping time, just like they do with the US.

I agree with Mike it's a clever thing to do and also confirm it is the way it is done in the UK. Gives one more chance to check the projector before shipping it to the dealer. And it's still a new unit, as far a JVC is confirmed, as long as the dealers do not open it. JVC US or JVC UK are the manufacturer.
post #359 of 1272
As someone who develops software for a living, I find the idea that you can drop new firmware into a product just a few days before release kind of ridiculous. It takes months to properly QA anything non-trivial like firmware for a projector. After it passes this extended QA process, engineers are usually banned from making any further changes as it would invalidate the months of previous testing. It would require another new round of regression testing. They obviously rushed this to market with insufficient testing. Unfortunately, this kind of thing has become the norm in many industries. Buggy products get shipped and the public becomes the beta tester. It's especially bad around the holiday season as everyone rushes product to market to cash in. Sad but these are the times we live in.
post #360 of 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Obviously, JVC didn't know about the flaw. My question and all of yours should be, why didn't they know, and what will they do to prevent something like this for happening again next year? And products like this will usually contain some flaws which only show up in the field. But nothing basic and critical like this.

Mark,
I wouldn't be so sure that nobody at JVC knew about this. One cannot author firmware if they don't have at least a prototype machine to test it in, else it might not even power up. Problem was, they probably had only one machine and it worked OK when tested, or not but wasn't consistently reproducible. It might have seemed like an acceptable risk vs. the alternative of letting the machines sit in a warehouse instead of filling pre-orders (perspective is often lost when you work night and day on a project pushing a deadline to get it out by a certain date, that date becomes the most important date and heads roll if its not met). They might have underestimated the % of product that it would affect, or the frequency with which it would affect each machine. Anyway, time to fire up the coffeepot for JVC US engineers, they're gonna need it.

I seriously hope it doesn't take as long as Wizziwig says. Maybe somebody fixed the bug but miscommunication caused the fix to be inadvertently left out of the final release...lets hope.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread