or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Critique my HTPC build plan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Critique my HTPC build plan - Page 11

post #301 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

As I said I don't really manage my plex server. If it's setup the correct way it pretty much runs on auto pilot for my streaming media.

There is times you might want to do some stuff with it. The scraper alone needs overseeing and fixing for many things. You are being too optimistic. It's good but it's not totally hands off.

Besides I think the objection is more to adding an extra thing to PLEX rather than vice versa. PLEX can do it all, XBMC can't. So the set up on PLEX while pretty easy is going to be required either way. The extra set up of another solution like XBMC is really the extra trouble.

I think the best way to find what you like it to try them all. Unfortunately it requires the most work, but it's often rewarded with the best solution for you.
post #302 of 403
My experience with PMS
  • 34 separate TV series - Plex only misunderstood "The Game"
  • ~1300-1400 movies - Plex couldn't match 12 Angry Men or Homeward Bound

That's over 99% accuracy smile.gif
post #303 of 403
Again, I am telling you about *my* experience. I understand it frustrates you when it doesn't match yours.
post #304 of 403
man i hate plex ... it vomited all kinds of files into my directories, and I think it renamed sh*t., made new sh*t ... i was so pissd.
... was that plex ? i forget , but anyway, i didnt like it.
and its streaming quality sucked, video and audio- yeah "flac", streamed flac into garbage.
post #305 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I would have expected one of the advanced madvr playback solutions to ultimately be a good fit for him given his dedicated theater and system. I think he just got thrown off by some of the "beta" in MB3 or ran into some sort of set up issues so now he is scrambling for a solution that is easy and just works for now.

I have a gut feeling once this is done and he gains a little experience he will circle back and tackle the "advanced" playback options. At this point he is just trying to make it work and explore his options I think. No better way to do that than set up one front end after another and try them all. That's what I did.

I got frustrated because it crashed on me a few times.

The final nail in the coffin was when I wanted to show guests my new movie collection.

Look at my movie collection smile.gif
Look, it shows you movie actors, plot, year etc smile.gif
Look, the scrolling pictures are from the movie smile.gif
Ok, let's watch the movie....spinning.....spinning....crash mad.gif

So far Plex is working, I'm going to try the Aeon skin to make it a little nicer.
Movie information has been good so far, as was organizing tv shows. Still need to organize some movies. It's pretty user friendly

Once I build a good collection, I'll give MB another look. One thing that drives me nuts is that MCM creates a folder inside my existing folder. MB then puts a blue star with a 1 in the cover art.
post #306 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

man i hate plex ... it vomited all kinds of files into my directories, and I think it renamed sh*t., made new sh*t ... i was so pissd.
... was that plex ? i forget , but anyway, i didnt like it.
and its streaming quality sucked, video and audio- yeah "flac", streamed flac into garbage.

The audio is brutal through the server

When running through Plex Home Theater, it sounds perfect
post #307 of 403
Thread Starter 
Question:

I have my HTPC setup with HDMI to my receiver which ultimately goes to the projector. I also use the VGA to go to a monitor in my equipment room.

When I use the monitor, it switches to dual screen and changes the speakers....How can I make it single screen (same on projector and monitor) with audio only working from the receiver?

Thinking about it, I think my Denon has VGA, I wonder if I can tell the Denon to send signals to both HDMI and VGA
post #308 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Question:

I have my HTPC setup with HDMI to my receiver which ultimately goes to the projector. I also use the VGA to go to a monitor in my equipment room.

When I use the monitor, it switches to dual screen and changes the speakers....How can I make it single screen (same on projector and monitor) with audio only working from the receiver?

Thinking about it, I think my Denon has VGA, I wonder if I can tell the Denon to send signals to both HDMI and VGA

The easy option would be use HDMI and grab the second output from your Denon AVR to go to the monitor (the first goes to the projector) all the audio is at that point removed from the signal and processed by the Denon and neither the PC monitor or the projector require any audio anyways.

My denon has dual HDMI outputs. I use the second to go to another display. You can toggle on the denon menu if you want the audio to be processed in full surround by the Denon or you want it pass thru to the display. In your case I would imagine you just want the picture with audio decoding done by Denon.

If you don't have a Denon with dual HDMI outputs you could buy a cheap HDMI splitter and get the same effect. Otherwise you would just set up dual monitors on the HTPC and use the VGA or DVI or Displayport for the monitor and have both displays show the same as each other and just deal with it that way.
post #309 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Again, I am telling you about *my* experience. I understand it frustrates you when it doesn't match yours.

Contrary, I thought we basically had the same viewpoint and agreed with the only difference being you use XBMC player and I use MB player. Aside from that I see nothing very different from "you're" experience and "my" experience. We both use PLEX for the external and a different player on the HTPC for that machine. I was only suggesting this is quickly changing though and it's not ideal. It's a solution we started a while ago because it's the best we could come up with at the time. I'm slowly moving away from this (ok perhaps quickly I am moving away)

I think you are a little behind the times with *just* XBMC since it's a bit limited in what it can do.

For me, using MediaBrowser's server makes for an easier setup across multiple machines. If you are trying to do this with XBMC it's additionally difficult because XBMC isn't a whole solution. It is a great solution for a single HTPC but not one for multiple PCs, phones, tablets and the Roku. The good thing is you can actually use both together if you wish. (<- this is new and what I meant by behind the times)

You can use MediaBrowser's server component to manage your library and feed it to multiple XBMC boxes and XBMC can connect to the library directly or use the XBMC Plugin for MediaBrowser. MediaBrowser will write your XBMC NFO files for you and it will download all the artwork, without the need for a plugin. It pulls its metadata from the same servers that XBMC's scrapers do but in my experience it does a better job because of the additional support it has built in for various different or custom organizations. It is also easier to correct mismatches. Just update the ID and refresh. You don't have to remove items from your library, deal with files and rescan your library to fix things.

The new plugins for MB3 server that help organize like the boxset plugin are pretty cool too, and there is a lot of development right now taking place around MB server to make it the top application for what it does. MB server also gives you the option to transcode, or set up streaming over the internet like PLEX too so if you love XBMC but also love those features in PLEX I'd tend to think at some point or another you will convert to XBMB3C. (<- I like this moniker biggrin.gif ) MBserver on the back end, XBMC on the front end. MB server can then feed whatever else you want too so now you only need to manage one thing for your media and every device and experience is covered and you are free to enjoy your media anyway you want, anywhere you want, anytime you want, on any device you want, with XBMC or without it. That's awesome IMO. It's not about XBMC vs MB3, it's really about chasing a complete solution. MB3 Dev team is doing great in this regard. They added lots of XBMC style things and support so the traditional XBMC user should like it. Things that before might have been a problem like the need for season folders, or the difficulty in the scraper, or the different style of media organization required.

Best thing though is I can get media on my iOS devices too. This is the area why I was keeping PLEX around for, but now that MBserver and the MB3 family are supporting this I might be able to ditch PLEX. Roku is the second thing I use a lot, and again same story. MBserver can feed my ROKU the same as it feeds my ipad or my HTPC. One solution to rule them all. The fact you can use MBclassic, Mbtheater or XBMC as your front end just makes it almost impossible to find fault with this type of set up and approach. The areas where XBMC is lacking is made up for with MBserver so now you can have a more complete solution thanks to MB3 and still enjoy your XBMC if that is what you are accustomed to using. With the fast development being done on the MB players too I feel like at some point soon MB is going to eclipse XBMC but since it's still beta we probably have another year before it becomes clear. At some point MB3 is going to emergy with some clear cut advantages over XBMC centered around the clear art support and unique ways it can use it, disc art support, live video back drops, Theme videos and music, user profiles, graphical scene selections, recommendations, and superior organizational support... etc...etc... The list can go on and on. It appears that instead of XBMC developing and competing with MB3 on all this stuff things are more headed in the direction where XBMC can just feed off the MB3 server project and XBMC will just be an additional option and alternative to the other MB3 player options. So folks that love XBMC can keep loving it.

With MediaBrowser, I currently have clients running on 2 iPhones, (wife and I) 3 Tablets,(wife and I and my bro) three Roku 3 's (one at my parents) and 4 Windows 7 Computers (one at my parents, one at my bros, and two in my house) ->... All from MB3server! Add a new device and I can be up and running in a few minutes without worrying about my server settings or changes on the actual device itself. Just need to ping and connect to the server for everything to work. And I don't need to worry about sharing the XBMC file settings (if I was inclined to use XBMC) between various clients to make them all sync up. My wife has her own login, different from mine. So when I log in I don' t need to see her TV shows or the odd stuff she likes, and vice versa. I have an Admin login that has everything in it, including odd stuff like exercise videos, non HD movies (I never watch these but still have) or seasonal things I might not need all the time like XMAS movies. So if I want any of those things I just login in with Admin instead of my Mike account and that way for most of my viewing my personal account only shows the stuff I want.

So question is.... When will you be updating your guides? biggrin.gif
post #310 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

So question is.... When will you be updating your guides? biggrin.gif

I'll be honest in that I didn't read a single sentence other than this one (way too wordy).

But to answer your question: Soon. We have some things in the works to get them updated.
post #311 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I'll be honest in that I didn't read a single sentence other than this one (way too wordy).

Your loss I guess.
post #312 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Your loss I guess.

I will look at it tonight when I have more time as I am interested. I was just messing with you. But that is one densely worded post!
post #313 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I will look at it tonight when I have more time as I am interested. I was just messing with you. But that is one densely worded post!

HAHA tongue.gif I know. I wrote it on my desktop. I don't always have triple monitors and MS word available on my iphone. I was messing with you too wink.gif

If you are seriously interested and want some advice or additional info let me know. I think you and Darkslayer are both big fans of XBMC and I think you guys might like the marriage of MB3server and XBMC (aka XBMB3C ) This is a little more advanced at this point and you'll be navigating some uncharted waters but hardly anything that you are Darkslayer are not up to the task.
post #314 of 403
Yeah, I've been following xnappo's progress on github and the xbmc forum. It does seem almost complete. Some nit-picking things may not see the light of day, but I would like a dedicated server to manage all the metadata. Plexbmc never offered the amount of metadata that xnappo has been able to add. Of course, hippojay and pecinko will probably refactor xbmb3c back into an updated plexbmc.

Honestly this is still bleeding edge. I'm not confident that everything is there just yet, discart / clearart / sorting by actor/genre/year. All of which are already managed in my current setup. Xnappo has been very fast implementing everything thus far, so I feel like I have to go check it again during the time that it takes me to type this post smile.gif

Also, the recent PlexHT-OE setup at my in-laws isn't going away anytime soon, but out of curiosity, could a Roku3 replace this? Can you take a Roku over to your parents house, type in your MB3 server credentials, and start playing back your MB3 server content?
post #315 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Yeah, I've been following xnappo's progress on github and the xbmc forum. It does seem almost complete. Some nit-picking things may not see the light of day, but I would like a dedicated server to manage all the metadata. Plexbmc never offered the amount of metadata that xnappo has been able to add. Of course, hippojay and pecinko will probably refactor xbmb3c back into an updated plexbmc.

Honestly this is still bleeding edge. I'm not confident that everything is there just yet, discart / clearart / sorting by actor/genre/year. All of which are already managed in my current setup. Xnappo has been very fast implementing everything thus far, so I feel like I have to go check it again during the time that it takes me to type this post smile.gif

Also, the recent PlexHT-OE setup at my in-laws isn't going away anytime soon, but out of curiosity, could a Roku3 replace this? Can you take a Roku over to your parents house, type in your MB3 server credentials, and start playing back your MB3 server content?

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-27-xbmb3c-the-mediabrowser-xbmc-addon-version-075-release/

Here is the MB blog post ^

Yup. He has definitely been quick! I don't visit the XBMC forums ( I call it the AMD fanboy forums) because I don't like the prevailing attitude there. Perhaps I should give it a fair shot again, but my opinion from the few times I frequented it was a couple things that simply did not interest me at all and seemed at odds with my personality. I noticed:

- High prevalence for ultra cheap options like Raspi's with almost no appreciation for performance. I don't hate myself so I would never do this.
- High prevalence for avoiding windows
- High prevalence for preaching all that is good with AMD because crappy code writers could not make DXVA video acceleration work nice with Intel.
- High prevalence for the lazy style of media managment (just lots of crap in a folder)

You simply won't find much interesting over there in terms of quad cores with GPU cards, fast ram and advanced video rendering. They'd rather run off a USB stick than an SSD. I haven't been there in a long time so I wonder if things have changed, but the values of the community did not seem to align with my own values and appreciation.

If I am wrong or way off educate me, I'm open to being wrong and/or giving it another try. I'm always just a lurker over there because I'm not huge into XBMC.
post #316 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

man i hate plex ... it vomited all kinds of files into my directories, and I think it renamed sh*t., made new sh*t ... i was so pissd.
... was that plex ? i forget , but anyway, i didnt like it.
and its streaming quality sucked, video and audio- yeah "flac", streamed flac into garbage.

Plex only creates files in it's own app data folder. It didn't touch your files or add metadata to your directories. Only media player client I've used that does that is Media Browser.
post #317 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Plex only creates files in it's own app data folder. It didn't touch your files or add metadata to your directories. Only media player client I've used that does that is Media Browser.

MB3 server has a setting to store them in the movie folder or not. You can turn it off or on depending on what you want. Doing it inside the movie folder speeds things up if it ever needs to get done again (like you reinstall MB /OS or change machines)
post #318 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Also, the recent PlexHT-OE setup at my in-laws isn't going away anytime soon, but out of curiosity, could a Roku3 replace this? Can you take a Roku over to your parents house, type in your MB3 server credentials, and start playing back your MB3 server content?
post #319 of 403
You are going all out, not sure why if it is an HTPC. I just recently built a new HTPC and spent about 350.00 with an i3 and 8GB ram.

I would go with Windows 8, it is much better imo.
post #320 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You have one? Want to try yours with my server ? biggrin.gif

I thought you had several? Haven't tried the MB3 remote playback features yet? Are they ios/android/winphone specific?
post #321 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I thought you had several? Haven't tried the MB3 remote playback features yet? Are they ios/android/winphone specific?

install the MB3 app on your phone I'll link you up so you can try it. Yes they are specific in the regard that you need the iphone app for iphone and the ipad app for ipad and the android app for android. I believe it's in the Kindle store too but I never tested that. Also windows phone, and Roku. They are all specific and different apps but they can all feed from MB server. Plus you have the web interface, or MB classic inside WMC or MBtheater outside on Windows 7 or 8.

Linux support is coming very soon I think.
post #322 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post

You are going all out, not sure why if it is an HTPC. I just recently built a new HTPC and spent about 350.00 with an i3 and 8GB ram.

I would go with Windows 8, it is much better imo.

That was like 6 pages ago and covered as to why I did what I did. smile.gif
post #323 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

install the MB3 app on your phone I'll link you up so you can try it. Yes they are specific in the regard that you need the iphone app for iphone and the ipad app for ipad and the android app for android. I believe it's in the Kindle store too but I never tested that. Also windows phone, and Roku. They are all specific and different apps but they can all feed from MB server. Plus you have the web interface, or MB classic inside WMC or MBtheater outside on Windows 7 or 8.

I meant remote playback, not local, when I asked if playback from an MB3 server was specific. I thought the iOS and Android apps could transcode outside your lan, just like Plex. Not sure if a MBT install or Roku could do this as well. PlexHT on my notebook, for example, can playback my PMS library anywhere with internet access. That's what I meant. Literally, could you take the roku to your dad's and play everything back over the internet?

I'll PM you about the setup details after I install the app. I'll compare it to Plex on the same internet connection (my plex, your mb3) since nobody seems to have come forth with such a comparison just yet
post #324 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

MB3 server has a setting to store them in the movie folder or not. You can turn it off or on depending on what you want. Doing it inside the movie folder speeds things up if it ever needs to get done again (like you reinstall MB /OS or change machines)

It's on by default though. So once you install the server it immediately starts to reorganize your media and create metadata files.
post #325 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

It's on by default though. So once you install the server it immediately starts to reorganize your media and create metadata files.


Good point. I played with changing it but I can't seem to tell if it helps or not. I was curious if storing it on SSD would improve performance but it doesn't seem to matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

So far I like Plex...not the eye candy I was going for, but not nearly stupid as MB and MCM

Plex doesn't have mouse support which is weak. I also missing the scrolling backdrops...still more playing to do and I'm on the standard skin, so maybe I'll get what I am looking for as I move along

I'd like to help you resolve your MB3 issues if you wanted. It would be nice to give it a fair shake. Remind me again what issue exactly were you having ?
Would you like some help or a walk through setting it up?
post #326 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I got frustrated because it crashed on me a few times.

The final nail in the coffin was when I wanted to show guests my new movie collection.

Look at my movie collection smile.gif
Look, it shows you movie actors, plot, year etc smile.gif
Look, the scrolling pictures are from the movie smile.gif
Ok, let's watch the movie....spinning.....spinning....crash mad.gif

So far Plex is working, I'm going to try the Aeon skin to make it a little nicer.
Movie information has been good so far, as was organizing tv shows. Still need to organize some movies. It's pretty user friendly

Once I build a good collection, I'll give MB another look. One thing that drives me nuts is that MCM creates a folder inside my existing folder. MB then puts a blue star with a 1 in the cover art.

Imo Plex Media Center is just plain ugly and nothing is going to change that. I am curious to know what is MCM? Most of what you say here are config/setup options that you need to change. that you need to change. Media Browser works really well and I use it mostly because of the integration with WMC which I use for Live TV. What client did you use with MB3? Was it Media Browser Theater? That's in beta or alpha I think.

XBMC can also use the MediaBrowser server.






Edited by Deihmos - 1/20/14 at 3:59pm
post #327 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post

Imo Plex Media Center is just plain ugly and nothing is going to change that. I am curious to know what is MCM? Most of what you say here are config/setup options that you need to change. that you need to change. Media Browser works really well and I use it mostly because of the integration with WMC which I use for Live TV. What client did you use with MB3? Was it Media Browser Theater? That's in beta or alpha I think.

XBMC can also use the MediaBrowser server.







Hot dam that's gorgeous, I'm so envious of you more knowledgeable folks, I think MCM is Media Center Master use to tag/label, metadata etc. Which I'm having a horrible time with as well.

Sucks for me

Djoel
post #328 of 403
I never used MCM and there isn't anything here that requires much knowledge. I would only recommend WMC if you also have Live TV.
post #329 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Good point. I played with changing it but I can't seem to tell if it helps or not. I was curious if storing it on SSD would improve performance but it doesn't seem to matter much.
I'd like to help you resolve your MB3 issues if you wanted. It would be nice to give it a fair shake. Remind me again what issue exactly were you having ?
Would you like some help or a walk through setting it up?

I'll give it another shot. Once I add a few more movies, I'll delete it all and restart. I'll look to you for advice once I get there
post #330 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hot dam that's gorgeous, I'm so envious of you more knowledgeable folks, I think MCM is Media Center Master use to tag/label, metadata etc. Which I'm having a horrible time with as well.

Sucks for me

Djoel

Yup, MCM is media center master
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Critique my HTPC build plan