or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Critique my HTPC build plan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Critique my HTPC build plan - Page 3

post #61 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

Should I return the Red drives? I got a heck of a price on them, but I don't want to deal with issues

No I would say keep them. At the end of the day a hard drive is a hard drive. If you got a great deal I'd stick with it. They are quiet, and low energy, and have a decent warranty. That probably makes up for a lot in your situation. And gains you might make in exchanging them isn't worth the hassle. You have nothing to worry about. Build your HTPC and enjoy it for years biggrin.gif

My rant is mostly about how WD marketing pushes these drives (at higher prices) and they really are not even designed for a PC or HTPC. They market them as more reliable and slap an extra year warranty on them suggesting to consumers they are premium, but really they are identical to green drives in parts and only changes are the firmware to make them suitable for NAS appliance boxes. It gives people the wrong impression of these drives, and WD doesn't provide enough intelligent alternatives cheaper for the traditional hard drive markets. It just bugs me. I see it as WD misleading consumers to buy a certain HDD so they can rape an extra $20 of margin from them.

Hitachi, Toshiba, and Seagate all offer traditional HDDs in 3TB sizes for about $100. Where is WD? Hitachi and Seagate have 4TB low powered drives under $150 often too. None of them are NAS specific either, they are just simple all purpose hard drives.
post #62 of 403
You need to get Assassin and itznfb back in here. I miss reading through some HDD rage.
post #63 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

You need to get Assassin and itznfb back in here. I miss reading through some HDD rage.

lol. I remember those! LOL @ "HDD RAGE"




Speaking of which,

Did they both get banned? I have not seen either around in quite some time. I sent itznfb a few PM's and got nothing back. Do you know him personally ?
Assassin I assumed just got busy with work and fed up the forum has changed; there just doesn't seem to be the same demand for building cheap HTPC's anymore since you can grab a ROKU3 box for $69 that basically does the same thing. He was never into Madvr, quad cores, or GPU cards. If you just want to stream, build a server and buy a ROKU3 and installed PLEX, XBMC or MB3 on it. They do 1080p, HD audio and all the good stuff. Even have WIFI remote (with app for tablet or phone control). That's the new "simple htpc" that was his bread and butter. He seemed bitter that changed. The majority of builds today are $400+ (and should be) it seems. Anything under that you might as well just grab a streamer box. Storage is the issue with both HTPC or streamer boxes. That's why there is more server and storage talk. But market is even flooded with tons of DROBO or Synology boxes too. Even that is getting easier for people.
post #64 of 403
I'm not sure whether it is directly related to some of those particular users not posting here very much these days or not . . . but I can say that it almost gives me an aneurysm to see a complete new-to-htpc builder given a recommendation for an i5-4670k, z87, and ddr3-2400 RAM. I've looked a few times, and I can't see a single reason why that would be recommended

Such recommendations can easily be perceived as "necessary" for a good experience, when such expensive hardware and madvr are in reality both totally unnecessary for an ultimate htpc experience. Hardware limitations should be mentioned rather than the newegg-ratings-based model of extreme-is-best
post #65 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

lol. I remember those! LOL @ "HDD RAGE"

::snip::


Speaking of which,

Did they both get banned? I have not seen either around in quite some time. I sent itznfb a few PM's and got nothing back. Do you know him personally ?
Assassin I assumed just got busy with work and fed up the forum has changed; there just doesn't seem to be the same demand for building cheap HTPC's anymore since you can grab a ROKU3 box for $69 that basically does the same thing. He was never into Madvr, quad cores, or GPU cards. If you just want to stream, build a server and buy a ROKU3 and installed PLEX, XBMC or MB3 on it. They do 1080p, HD audio and all the good stuff. Even have WIFI remote (with app for tablet or phone control). That's the new "simple htpc" that was his bread and butter. He seemed bitter that changed. The majority of builds today are $400+ (and should be) it seems. Anything under that you might as well just grab a streamer box. Storage is the issue with both HTPC or streamer boxes. That's why there is more server and storage talk. But market is even flooded with tons of DROBO or Synology boxes too. Even that is getting easier for people.

lol. I do know itznfb I help him out with his builds sometimes. I mentioned in another thread that he was banned and Assassin stopped posting on the same day so I assumed they both got banned but I'm not sure.
post #66 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

No I would say keep them. At the end of the day a hard drive is a hard drive. If you got a great deal I'd stick with it. They are quiet, and low energy, and have a decent warranty. That probably makes up for a lot in your situation. And gains you might make in exchanging them isn't worth the hassle. You have nothing to worry about. Build your HTPC and enjoy it for years biggrin.gif

My rant is mostly about how WD marketing pushes these drives (at higher prices) and they really are not even designed for a PC or HTPC. They market them as more reliable and slap an extra year warranty on them suggesting to consumers they are premium, but really they are identical to green drives in parts and only changes are the firmware to make them suitable for NAS appliance boxes. It gives people the wrong impression of these drives, and WD doesn't provide enough intelligent alternatives cheaper for the traditional hard drive markets. It just bugs me. I see it as WD misleading consumers to buy a certain HDD so they can rape an extra $20 of margin from them.

Hitachi, Toshiba, and Seagate all offer traditional HDDs in 3TB sizes for about $100. Where is WD? Hitachi and Seagate have 4TB low powered drives under $150 often too. None of them are NAS specific either, they are just simple all purpose hard drives.

Thanks, I'll hold onto them. I paid I believe $110 for each drive so not too bad.
post #67 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I'm not sure whether it is directly related to some of those particular users not posting here very much these days or not . . . but I can say that it almost gives me an aneurysm to see a complete new-to-htpc builder given a recommendation for an i5-4670k, z87, and ddr3-2400 RAM. I've looked a few times, and I can't see a single reason why that would be recommended

Such recommendations can easily be perceived as "necessary" for a good experience, when such expensive hardware and madvr are in reality both totally unnecessary for an ultimate htpc experience. Hardware limitations should be mentioned rather than the newegg-ratings-based model of extreme-is-best

I guess you think my build is overkill then?

From those 3 components, I estimate I'm paying $50-$75 extra over an i5 setup. I guess it's money I could use elsewhere, but I like to overbuild and have room to grow for the " next" thing.

Speaking of streaming, how can I stream the HTPC to my other TVs? One is hard wired and the others has no internet capabilities
post #68 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I guess you think my build is overkill then?
It depends. It could be exactly what you need. For full HD playback and streaming to other boxes as well as great frontend menu performance and metadata scraping . . . yes it's overkill. I have no intention of arguing with those who will say SVP and madvr are required. I could but don't use either with my overkill hardware. My reason for overkill was gaming, which I enjoy. For extra TVs much cheaper hardware is (will be) used. My two overkill machines are for gaming and a do-everything-under-the-sun server. If you don't have a server, and you want to use this build as an HTPC that also runs Plex Media Server then you've chosen a great cpu/mobo. RAM is still overkill unless you are trying to use madvr with igpu. When you start chasing that rabbit you'll be told your igpu should be upgraded to a radeon hd gpu anyway so the ram is back to being overkill.

Streaming to TVs will only work in limited fashion. If you have a newer samsung set they will have a free plexapp available in the Samsung Hub. Using DLNA will depend on the set you bought, but typically won't support mkv or vc-1/mpeg2
post #69 of 403
Also, no reason for buyers remorse at this point, so I didn't really intend to suggest you should return any hardware. Even if you have shoprunner with newegg where you return shipping is free . . . newegg will typically charge a restocking fee unless you have some ultimate account perks with them that the average user does not. For the avearge person, it would cost more to return all the stuff to an online retailer than the money you might save with lower-tier tech. Also, you'll have some headroom if you want to tinker. I'd urge you to at least test "normal" 1080p playback if you start tinkering with madvr and frc or svp. I've done these myself and agree with their superiority from a technical/theoretical perspective but I disagree with their practicality and usefulness based on my own specific library (primarily blu ray) and display and "viewing environments"
post #70 of 403
Given this is one of the newer threads, I think i'm going to copy and buy whatever you end up with. What's the final list? smile.gif thank you!!!
post #71 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

lol. I do know itznfb I help him out with his builds sometimes. I mentioned in another thread that he was banned and Assassin stopped posting on the same day so I assumed they both got banned but I'm not sure.

Definitely not banned.

And definitely am tired of people assuming things about me when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
post #72 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Using DLNA will depend on the set you bought, but typically won't support mkv...

Posting for informational purposes, using my software on Windows 8.1 will allow DLNA playback of MKV files using the LAV filters when pushed from the PC to the device using the 'Play To' feature of Windows. This does not work on Windows 7.
post #73 of 403
Thread Starter 
I think I get deeply discounted Windows because I am an MBA student, which windows version should I go with?
post #74 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

Posting for informational purposes, using my software on Windows 8.1 will allow DLNA playback of MKV files using the LAV filters when pushed from the PC to the device using the 'Play To' feature of Windows. This does not work on Windows 7.

Very nice point. This could be great for a quick Chromecast file playback option
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I think I get deeply discounted Windows because I am an MBA student, which windows version should I go with?
8 pro if you want the latest version with wmc for a extra $10

7 home and up have wmc included free. Not too old of an os either.
post #75 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Definitely not banned.

And definitely am tired of people assuming things about me when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Absolutely no idea what they are talking about? That's a little bit ridiculous. You were making the same argument in the same thread as someone who was banned and you haven't posted since the same time as that person... it's not an unreasonable assumption (especially since they don't publicly show banned statuses here). Maybe if you weren't so rude to the majority of the people you interact with you wouldn't have so many negative assumptions being made about you..... just maybe.

edit:
You know it's funny. I haven't really seen any inflammatory comments or threads go to crap since Assassin and itznfb left and what is Assassin's first comment upon his return... an inflammatory comment. I can't say I'm surprised. rolleyes.gif
Edited by techmattr - 12/20/13 at 5:44am
post #76 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Given this is one of the newer threads, I think i'm going to copy and buy whatever you end up with. What's the final list? smile.gif thank you!!!

Still working on it, I'm almost there though.

I'll finish up my buying after Christmas, I have a feeling I may come into some Amazon gift cards

Btw, Apple ipad keyboard sucks. Ałso, the web browser has been crashing on me multiple times a day while surfing AVS
post #77 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I think I get deeply discounted Windows because I am an MBA student, which windows version should I go with?

Windows 7 is old school standard. I'm using it and happy. Windows 8 might have a few growing pains but more upside long term.
post #78 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post


Btw, Apple ipad keyboard sucks. Ałso, the web browser has been crashing on me multiple times a day while surfing AVS


Try restoring it. Fixed mine.
post #79 of 403
Are there any advantages to Windows 8 over Windows 7? I haven't used Windows 8 on any machines only played around with it. I've been sticking with 7 since it does everything and I still have Technet licenses for 7 smile.gif

I've also seen Windows 7 Home Premium go for $45~$50 which is a pretty good deal imo.
post #80 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Are there any advantages to Windows 8 over Windows 7? I haven't used Windows 8 on any machines only played around with it. I've been sticking with 7 since it does everything and I still have Technet licenses for 7 smile.gif

I've also seen Windows 7 Home Premium go for $45~$50 which is a pretty good deal imo.

I bought a bunch of W7 x64 pro licenses for $50 each so I'm still running those.

My understanding is there is some software bugs with 8, but it's also quicker. Also something like mb3 has good support for it. Mb3 theater has a good windows 8 netflix app and valve steam app. I think netflix supports 4k if you have 20mb download speed or higher. The old WMC one won't do that.
post #81 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I guess you think my build is overkill then?

From those 3 components, I estimate I'm paying $50-$75 extra over an i5 setup. I guess it's money I could use elsewhere, but I like to overbuild and have room to grow for the " next" thing.

I always build overhead into my HTPCs - I want to keep them for a LONG time usually (DRM causes so many issues with new builds) so I want my build to be more powerful than I will need. An extra $75, spread out over 5 years, is chump change. smile.gif
post #82 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I always build overhead into my HTPCs - I want to keep them for a LONG time usually (DRM causes so many issues with new builds) so I want my build to be more powerful than I will need. An extra $75, spread out over 5 years, is chump change. smile.gif

+1!

I had a long detailed reply that just got lost so it will have wait. Larry I think you'll be really happy and a year from now there's no way you'll have any if the regrets people have by going with the cheapest option. (Like I did)
post #83 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Absolutely no idea what they are talking about? That's a little bit ridiculous. You were making the same argument in the same thread as someone who was banned and you haven't posted since the same time as that person... it's not an unreasonable assumption (especially since they don't publicly show banned statuses here). Maybe if you weren't so rude to the majority of the people you interact with you wouldn't have so many negative assumptions being made about you..... just maybe.

edit:
You know it's funny. I haven't really seen any inflammatory comments or threads go to crap since Assassin and itznfb left and what is Assassin's first comment upon his return... an inflammatory comment. I can't say I'm surprised. rolleyes.gif

Except that my comment wasn't at all directed at you.
post #84 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I always build overhead into my HTPCs - I want to keep them for a LONG time usually (DRM causes so many issues with new builds) so I want my build to be more powerful than I will need. An extra $75, spread out over 5 years, is chump change. smile.gif

I bought a bottle of Caymus for dinner tomorrow night. I guess if I could have got a 2nd bottle for the $75 savings. But then my Sunday would comprise of watching tv all day in bed with my eyes closed
post #85 of 403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Windows 7 is old school standard. I'm using it and happy. Windows 8 might have a few growing pains but more upside long term.

I'll see if I can buy both
post #86 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

I'll see if I can buy both

You will only need 1 but if it's deeply discounted you might use the other for something else someday (or sell it) [to me biggrin.gif]
post #87 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I bought a bunch of W7 x64 pro licenses for $50 each so I'm still running those.

My understanding is there is some software bugs with 8, but it's also quicker. Also something like mb3 has good support for it. Mb3 theater has a good windows 8 netflix app and valve steam app. I think netflix supports 4k if you have 20mb download speed or higher. The old WMC one won't do that.

Yeah I'm a big fan of Plex and especially the Plex Home Theater. They have a Windows 8 Plex App but honestly, along with the Android App they are more suited for use as a mobile application and not a home theater solution. The full install Plex Home Theater is much more elegant and just works better on a HTPC. So far I haven't found any big reasons to make the switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Except that my comment wasn't at all directed at you.

Well then I apologize. It sure seemed directed at me. A lot of your comments may come off as worse than you intend but they sure seem to start a lot of fires.
post #88 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I always build overhead into my HTPCs - I want to keep them for a LONG time usually (DRM causes so many issues with new builds) so I want my build to be more powerful than I will need. An extra $75, spread out over 5 years, is chump change. smile.gif

I always think along these lines as well.... however I always look at my HTPCs 5 years later and realize that the thing is still overkill 5 years after I built it. That's why I went with a re-purposed AMD A6 for my latest build biggrin.gif

I wanted to spend as little as possible. I think the Fractal case easily cost more than all the other components combined.
post #89 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

Yeah I'm a big fan of Plex and especially the Plex Home Theater. They have a Windows 8 Plex App but honestly, along with the Android App they are more suited for use as a mobile application and not a home theater solution. The full install Plex Home Theater is much more elegant and just works better on a HTPC. So far I haven't found any big reasons to make the switch.
Well then I apologize. It sure seemed directed at me. A lot of your comments may come off as worse than you intend but they sure seem to start a lot of fires.

I also use PLEX (on tablet, HTPC (less so) and Server) and I too am a big fan. I mostly use PLEX because I like the tablet app (ipad 3) actually, but I prefer MB for the front end on the HTPC. I guess we are total opposites (but agree biggrin.gif ) To me the strength of PLEX is that is can support device sync (like if you actually want to put the movie file on the tablet before traveling, and not need WIFI to stream) and it can also support CLOUD SYNC (you can load up your media to a free cloud account like google drive or DROPBOX and stream back from those in the event your internet upload speed is too slow you can capitalize on their servers instead which makes enjoying your media when away from home even easier) and it supports transcoding so it supports product divergence where you can run a singular solution across many different devices and platforms. PLEX also supports chromecast. Those are some super cool features where PLEX is head of the class. Certainly lots to love about PLEX, but honestly the theater interface isn't one of them to me. Check out the HTPC shootout thread and you can see some of the other solutions can be slicker in the eye candy department. PLEX is simple and works pretty well across many devices so that's it's strong suit. It's funny you say this because I love PLEX too but for totally different reasons biggrin.gif

I also agree with your comment about starting fires, but I don't thing discussing it anymore here is going to help anyone.
post #90 of 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I also use PLEX (on tablet, HTPC (less so) and Server) and I too am a big fan. I mostly use PLEX because I like the tablet app (ipad 3) actually, but I prefer MB for the front end on the HTPC. I guess we are total opposites (but agree biggrin.gif ) To me the strength of PLEX is that is can support device sync (like if you actually want to put the movie file on the tablet before traveling, and not need WIFI to stream) and it can also support CLOUD SYNC (you can load up your media to a free cloud account like google drive or DROPBOX and stream back from those in the event your internet upload speed is too slow you can capitalize on their servers instead which makes enjoying your media when away from home even easier) and it supports transcoding so it supports product divergence where you can run a singular solution across many different devices and platforms. PLEX also supports chromecast. Those are some super cool features where PLEX is head of the class. Certainly lots to love about PLEX, but honestly the theater interface isn't one of them to me. Check out the HTPC shootout thread and you can see some of the other solutions can be slicker in the eye candy department. PLEX is simple and works pretty well across many devices so that's it's strong suit. It's funny you say this because I love PLEX too but for totally different reasons biggrin.gif

I definitely wouldn't make the argument that Plex Home Theater is the best looking interface... but I think it's nice enough and it's significantly better than the Win8/Android app UI they use. However that UI is great for tablets and smartphones. I'll give MB3 a shot once it's out of beta.... or I get another HTPC setup in my office. The one in our media room needs to remain stable.

@Larry M, are you going to be using a Home Theater front end? If so have you decided on one?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Critique my HTPC build plan