or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › GoldenEar Triton - too much speaker for the money?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GoldenEar Triton - too much speaker for the money?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I have been shopping around locally for a set of L/C/R speakers under $5k. One of the local dealers only carriers GoldenEar's for that price point. All the other dealers have typical 2/3 way towers with 1 or 2 drivers.

The GoldenEar triton 2 is $1500 each, it has 1 tweeter, 2 mid range drivers, 2 more bass drivers, 2 sub radiators, 2 crossovers, and a powered amp for the sub, all for $1500. Not to mention its in a huge cabinet. For the price you pay, I feel your getting a bit way too much stuff.

The matching SuperCenter has 1 tweeter, 2 mid range drivers, and 2 planers for $800. Every other center speaker at this price point only has 1 tweeter and 2 mid range drivers.

I also don't feel comfortable with having electronics in my floor standers, I want these speakers to last 10+ years and feel better having separate subs.

Anyone else feel the same way?
post #2 of 6
No, I don't feel that way. To me replacing a plate amp is fairly trivial. But I do know that subwoofers will outperform the woofers in towers unless the towers have true subwoofers (long xmax etc.) So in your shoes, if I were to buy those speakers I would still add a subwoofer or two to the mix.
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
But with "all that you get" at that price, I feel your getting much higher sound quality from better quality drivers with a traditional 2/3 way floor stander with only 1 tweeter and 2-3 drivers.

I guess i'm just not sure what kind of angle the GoldEar Tritons are coming from. Are they trying to target the typical consumer and less of the audiophile prosumer?
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

No, I don't feel that way. To me replacing a plate amp is fairly trivial. But I do know that subwoofers will outperform the woofers in towers unless the towers have true subwoofers (long xmax etc.) So in your shoes, if I were to buy those speakers I would still add a subwoofer or two to the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by af22 View Post

But with "all that you get" at that price, I feel your getting much higher sound quality from better quality drivers with a traditional 2/3 way floor stander with only 1 tweeter and 2-3 drivers.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't think driver count is the ultimate arbiter of sound quality. I once had a pair of VMPS speakers that that 2 12" woofer, 1 12" passive radiator, 2 midranges, 4 tweeters and a super tweeter. They sounded rather dark and uninteresting.
Quote:
I guess i'm just not sure what kind of angle the GoldEar Tritons are coming from. Are they trying to target the typical consumer and less of the audiophile prosumer?

I know nothing about them and haven't seen or heard the product so I can't comment.
post #5 of 6

Ive both seen and heard them and they are AWSOME in both price and sound. I also have had the plerasure of meeting Mr Sandy Gross the founder of Polk Audio, Defenitive Tech. and GoldenEar. The man is amazing and very smart. He is giving the working man an audiophile speaker with high quality parts at a working mans price.I beieve this spring im going to geta pair of the Triton 3 and the XL center.. For 2800 how can you go wrong?

post #6 of 6
+1.

I just auditioned the Triton line and they all sounded very, very nice. BC of my budget I was thinking of the Sevens but now I'm trying to convince myself to spend the extra money to get the Threes. The Twos had a very impressive sound stage and a wide range. If I had them in my budget the Triton Twos would be my first choice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › GoldenEar Triton - too much speaker for the money?