or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Considering purchasing an Onkyo tx-nr5009 receiver....HDMI board reliability issues?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Considering purchasing an Onkyo tx-nr5009 receiver....HDMI board reliability issues?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Hey folks....
I've read on here about the HDMI board failures with earlier models of higher-end Onkyo receivers, does anyone know if this issue has been fixed in newer models? I'm looking at buying a 5009 specifically, is this, or anything else, still an issue? I couldn't find any threads addressing this.
Thanks.
post #2 of 36
The 5009 you're considering buying has either been fixed or is going to need a fix. It would appear Onkyo is simply replacing HDMI boards under warranty with the same damned board. You might call it a fix - I call it stupid. This crap has been going on for at least 4 generations of their AVR/AVP products and they just repair the bad boards with the same bad boards - I suppose its easier than actually 'fixing' the real problem. Which is probably parts from some sweat shop in China that supplies the AVR maker with a $5 part.

I've owned 4 Onkyo products in the past 6 years and each of them had HDMI problems but one - and I sold that after coming to my senses. An NR818.
post #3 of 36
Oh no, wait for the rush of Onkyo owners. I feel you have opened the flood gate.
post #4 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The 5009 you're considering buying has either been fixed or is going to need a fix. It would appear Onkyo is simply replacing HDMI boards under warranty with the same damned board. You might call it a fix - I call it stupid. This crap has been going on for at least 4 generations of their AVR/AVP products and they just repair the bad boards with the same bad boards - I suppose its easier than actually 'fixing' the real problem. Which is probably parts from some sweat shop in China that supplies the AVR maker with a $5 part.

I've owned 4 Onkyo products in the past 6 years and each of them had HDMI problems but one - and I sold that after coming to my senses. An NR818.

The receiver is actually a b stock. I asked a guy that works on electronics about the HDMI failures, and he sad that it was a big problem in past models, but its been solved by changing their supplier. Originally he said the boards were Chinese made, (no surprise there) hence all the defects. Did Onkyo really think it would be a different outcome if they got the cheapest supplier they could find?
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Oh no, wait for the rush of Onkyo owners. I feel you have opened the flood gate.

I don't see any of them. Maybe they know? Or maybe they're busy boxing up that Onkyo to send it in for repair?biggrin.gif
post #6 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I don't see any of them. Maybe they know? Or maybe they're busy boxing up that Onkyo to send it in for repair?biggrin.gif

Ok.....that bad eh?
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 
Well I ordered the Onkyo last night, but after reading the couple of responses, I stopped the order just in time this morning and got a Marantz instead. I like the power and features of the Onkyo, but I have no patience for a balky receiver. In all my years of owning receivers and electronics, I've never had to send anything out for repair, so I want to continue that streak. Plus the Marantz saves me 500 bucks.
post #8 of 36
It appears to be an ongoing problem. Check the threads on recent models to verify for yourself. If you feel comfortable with an Onkyo then by all means get one. Not what I recommend as there are too many other brands without this problem.
post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

It appears to be an ongoing problem. Check the threads on recent models to verify for yourself. If you feel comfortable with an Onkyo then by all means get one. Not what I recommend as there are too many other brands without this problem.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. You probably saved my butt. I checked around briefly on the boards for information, but didn't find anything. I'll look again.
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. You probably saved my butt. I checked around briefly on the boards for information, but didn't find anything. I'll look again.

Wise decision IMO. Onkyo does make AVR's that are very tempting with their bells and whistles and prices. I have two Onkyo's (a 696 and the 876 that still work) and had zero problems with either. However at this time I would not recommend an Onkyo due to their inability to cure recurring HDMI board problems. It seems that is the only reason for their failures. Enjoy the Marantz.
post #11 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Wise decision IMO. Onkyo does make AVR's that are very tempting with their bells and whistles and prices. I have two Onkyo's (a 696 and the 876 that still work) and had zero problems with either. However at this time I would not recommend an Onkyo due to their inability to cure recurring HDMI board problems. It seems that is the only reason for their failures. Enjoy the Marantz.

Thanks. I wonder if you took greater pains to ventilate the Onkyo, it might not breakdown so easily. Maybe put a couple of computer fans on it. I would guess the failures are from excess heat, no?
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

Thanks. I wonder if you took greater pains to ventilate the Onkyo, it might not breakdown so easily. Maybe put a couple of computer fans on it. I would guess the failures are from excess heat, no?

On the 876 I added two 120mm fans purchased from coolerguys.com. I did this as soon as I put it in service. The 696 was before HDMI was available. The history of their extreme heat issues from the 05 series told me that this was needed to help cool these AVR's down. Mine worked flawlessly until I took it out of service for a Yamaha RX-A3000 and a H/K 7550HD. The H/K is in use at this time. Yes heat was the problem for HDMI heat failures. Don't know if it is still the problem. These board failures can happen to any brand AVR, not only Onkyo. It just seems that Onkyo's failure rate is much higher.
post #13 of 36

I too suffered the fate of HDMI switching/hardware issues on a mid-level Onkyo two years ago. And like many, I purchased Onkyo because it [seemed] to offer the most band for my dollar. Exactly 30 days after set up, HDMI inputs began to blow. Crutchfield replaced it--I actually chose the same Onkyo again. And 30 days later? Yes, you guessed it. But this time I lost more HDMI inputs than on the original one. Both of mine ran very hot and I had both of them in an open rack where they were ventilated on all sides and with about a foot of space above.

 

I spoke with Dallas at Crutchfield this past weekend and he looked up the exact model that I purchased and was able to tell me that the problem on my receiver had been traced back to a specific faulty component and that [theoretically at least] Onkyo had fixed the problem by switching suppliers, which I think someone else mentioned. This was not good enough for me. I'll never buy Onkyo again, though ironically, I have a 35+ year old Onkyo stereo receiver that someone gave to me a long time ago and it's a tank. It just won't die.

 

I have a Yamaha now with no issues and it runs very cool. --It's in the same rack as the Onkyos were.

 

I think you'll be happy with your Marantz.

post #14 of 36
Thread Starter 
I think so too. But I'm still looking longingly at the Onkyo 5009 with its audio bling, XT32, beefy amps, and thinking "maybe, just MAYBE it won't happen to me"........
post #15 of 36
Which Marantz did you order? Did you consider the Denon 4311? Its power is rated for 4ohm speakers, so that gives a clue to its output. Also a proven model. One of the best in recent years IMO.
Edited by phantom52 - 12/20/13 at 2:58pm
post #16 of 36
I have two Onkyo TX-NR905, one TX-NR906. All three had HDMI issues. Note that I had had PC 120mm fans over the HDMI board say day of purchase and I also placed heat sink on the three problematic chips on the boards.

My friend has a TX-SR818 which just died as well, the amp turns off after a few minutes. The dealer I bought my Onkyos from no longer sells them because he had so many complaints and returns. He now sells Marantz and Denon.

I have given up on Onkyo and now happy with a Pioneer SC-67...
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

I think so too. But I'm still looking longingly at the Onkyo 5009 with its audio bling, XT32, beefy amps, and thinking "maybe, just MAYBE it won't happen to me"........

You know with the money you have to spend for that Onkyo you could get one heck of a NAD for the same or even maybe less. These are real power stated AVR's with exchangeable Modular Components. Instead of buying the newest thing just upgrade the module. Extremely good reviews on the NAD's. In that price price range you could also go for an Anthem or even a Cambridge model. Also considered separates?
post #18 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You know with the money you have to spend for that Onkyo you could get one heck of a NAD for the same or even maybe less. These are real power stated AVR's with exchangeable Modular Components. Instead of buying the newest thing just upgrade the module. Extremely good reviews on the NAD's. In that price price range you could also go for an Anthem or even a Cambridge model. Also considered separates?

I considered the Cambridge 751R and the NAD as well, but its just a bad time for me to spend that much cash, so unfortunately I had to get the Marantz sr7007---not even the 7008 (which I greatly prefer). I'll probably keep it for a while and then get the Cambridge or the NAD, or even the 7008. And yes, separates are possible too, but my current speakers are efficient enough. Who knows, I might even love this Marantz and be content. I'm coming from a class D pioneer, and I just wasn't happy with its performance.
post #19 of 36
post #20 of 36
Thread Starter 
I think I have. Nice receiver, do you think its better than the Marantz 7007 or 7008? I just realized something else about the 7007...it doesn't have an am tuner! WTH? I listen to a lot of am as well as music---that sort of sucks for me because they've shipped it already.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

I think I have. Nice receiver, do you think its better than the Marantz 7007 or 7008? I just realized something else about the 7007...it doesn't have an am tuner! WTH? I listen to a lot of am as well as music---that sort of sucks for me because they've shipped it already.

Built-in HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the SR7007 features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio stations offer higher sound quality than conventional FM/AM broadcasts; typically FM HD Radio stations are CD quality while AM HD Radio sound similar to analog FM stereo. It is also possible to receive data services and select broadcasts from among up to eight multicast programs. HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.


It seems that it does have AM tuner.
post #22 of 36
Thread Starter 
Where are you getting that from? On the website it says no, but maybe they mean conventional am.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

Where are you getting that from? On the website it says no, but maybe they mean conventional am.

From the Crutchfield webpage. Details on the Marantz 7007. You may to download the manual to find out for sure.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7007/Marantz-SR7007.html#details-tab
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

From the Crutchfield webpage. Details on the Marantz 7007. You may to download the manual to find out for sure.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7007/Marantz-SR7007.html#details-tab

Thanks. I think they mean a conventional tuner, not HD, because it says no am tuner on the website. Hopefully I can get what I need with the HD tuner. Like I said though, I don't know how long I'll be keeping this. My goal is to upgrade as soon as I can.
post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 
28.75 pounds...not exactly a heavyweight, is it?
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

28.75 pounds...not exactly a heavyweight, is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasandezekial View Post

28.75 pounds...not exactly a heavyweight, is it?

No its not. The 4311 from Denon comes in at 48 lbs.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post


No its not. The 4311 from Denon comes in at 48 lbs.

I love my AVR-4311ci but the specs on the Denon Website state it weighs 38.2 lbs.
post #28 of 36
Thread Starter 
I've read that Marantz puts less emphasis on chassis construction, and more on what they believe matters most. That is, short signal paths, amplifier construction, on and on. I think that may be one of the reasons why its not as much of a heavyweight as compared to other receivers in its price rage. At least I HOPE so.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I love my AVR-4311ci but the specs on the Denon Website state it weighs 38.2 lbs.

You are correct, sorry for the bad info. Crutchfield detail page says the same thing. I've been to obsessed with those NAD products. Just simply built real well without all the "fluff" that comes with the newest AVR's. Look at all the older AVR's that just worked and seem to have lasted forever. Ahhh the good old days.
post #30 of 36
Ok finally found the review for the OP's reading on his purchase. Very good review along with test report. I wouldn't worry if I were the OP. Enjoy.


http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Considering purchasing an Onkyo tx-nr5009 receiver....HDMI board reliability issues?