or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › JKP 1.1 v Cima Neve 1.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JKP 1.1 v Cima Neve 1.1

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I am down to trying to decide between these 2 screens, which from what I have read, seem to be good matches for my setup. I have an Epson 6030, want to get a 110 diag, 1.78 screen. Sitting about 13 feet from screen in a 17 foot room. The room is light controlled, black ceiling and front wall, very dark brown on other 3 walls -2 indows. Currently I am using black-out cloth. I am totally new at this, never had a projector before. I have a few screen samples and am not sure how to really proceed. When I have held a sample up at the screen I see fine black boxes on both the boc and the screen, is this normal?
Secondly, obviously I must find a way to "attach" the samples to the screen-how, other than with tape? Do you just look for color, brightness, etc-seems very difficult to ascertain with the small samples that they send. When I am standing at the screen and hold a sample up against the boc, I don't really see any differences.
So, this makes me wonder if I would even appreciate either of the 2 screens I am considering.
Please, what is the best way to evaluate the different screen materials? Also, if you own either of the above screens and a 5030/6030, would greatly appreciate your impressions of the pairings.
Thank you very much.
post #2 of 13
It can be hard to see things from a sample size piece of screen material. It's when you have a full size screen that things like gain, uniformity etc. become more apparent. I have a 122" diagonal Cima Neve screen - I like it a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though - the HD Pro 1.1 is a nice screen too.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
craig, how do you physically compare these screen samples? Do you tape them on the current screen?
Thanks
post #4 of 13
Absolutely not ! I hope to have time to finish my screen sample comparison this weekend after Xmas. I've devised a stand for pieces of 1/8" MDF, with the samples glued on it. I can position the sample right next to my existing screen without damaging it. I'll post photos soon.

I'm not taping anything to my StudioTek 130 or Cima Neve screen !! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Craig, 2 more questions. First I know that the jpk dalite screen has a black backing, does the coma neve?
Second, the jpk says it has a half viewing angle of 80 degrees , but in one place on Stewarts site they say the neve is only 60 degrees .
Since my seating is an l shaped sectional, I would want to have the widest viewing angle.
Thanks
post #6 of 13
The Neve on my retractable electric screen does not have black backing - I don't believe it needs it.

The Neve has a half gain viewing angle of 80+ degrees - http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/cima/Material/neve/neve.html
That is one reason I wanted to get one - I have one 14' wide row of seating. The Neve works great in my theater situation.
post #7 of 13
Craig does the JKP 1.1 come in custom sizes say 2.05:1 or similiar? How does it compare to the Carada brilliant white in terms of performance and cost ?
Light controlled room and would be a Sony ES 55.
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies758 View Post

Craig does the JKP 1.1 come in custom sizes say 2.05:1 or similiar? How does it compare to the Carada brilliant white in terms of performance and cost ?
Light controlled room and would be a Sony ES 55.

Not Craig, but would be happy to answer the question for you. No, you can't get custom sizes with Cima. You can get 16:9 and 2.35. You can also get perforated. Since we are dealers for both Carada and Steward, please call for a recommendation for you.
Reply
Reply
post #9 of 13
blueskies- I believe any of the Da-Lite JKP product is available in custom sizes. You'll need to get a quote from a dealer with appropriate specs.

B.
post #10 of 13
^ Thanks Brian - appreciate it
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

The Neve on my retractable electric screen does not have black backing - I don't believe it needs it.

The Neve has a half gain viewing angle of 80+ degrees - http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/cima/Material/neve/neve.html
That is one reason I wanted to get one - I have one 14' wide row of seating. The Neve works great in my theater situation.

I haven't been able to find any mention whatsoever for 3D performance on the CIMA NEVE . On the site and docs they advertised the 4k+ capability just absolutely no mention over 3d.

What is your personal experience ? Thx pls mention projectors tested on 3d
post #12 of 13
There is no difference in how it performs in 2d or 3d. Just watch out so you have enough brightness as 3d mode will eat 80 percent or so of the light output from the projector.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
What is your personal experience ? Thx pls mention projectors tested on 3d

I can't say personally, as I don't watch any 3D. Shocking, I know, but true.
Quote:
There is no difference in how it performs in 2d or 3d. Just watch out so you have enough brightness as 3d mode will eat 80 percent or so of the light output from the projector.

+1 !!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › JKP 1.1 v Cima Neve 1.1