or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help picking 7.1 system for 19'x31' room with 10k budget
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help picking 7.1 system for 19'x31' room with 10k budget

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

Hi I'm setting up 7.1 In my living room and need help picking out the best setup under 10k.
Main use is for movie, music, karaoke. My room is 19'x31' with cathedral ceiling, room also open up to entry and kitchen. Was thinking about Martin Logan electromotion series setup but I like some type Inwall speaker to go in the custom built entertainment center.
Currently have 80" sharp TV, Xbox one, and Bose v20 system that is to small for that room.
Thanks!

post #2 of 34
Jtr noessis , oppo 103d , seaton submersive subs. Off to a good start
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Thanks I will look into it. my x-box one can play blue ray, do I really need to buy another?
Edited by cncasper - 12/28/13 at 7:05am
post #4 of 34
Just for more clarification. Are you looking for 7 speakers, subs (large room would benefit from more than one), and receiver all for 10k?
post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 
Yes 10k budget for the complete setup. Speaker, amp, receiver. Was looking at maranzt SR-7008 or denon AVR-x4000
post #6 of 34
With that budget you definitely need to look into JTR speakers for your LCR. Incredible for movies and music. Very clear and dynamic.
Seaton's SubMersive master/slave combo would work well in your large room. You could go with cheaper speakers for your surrounds for now.
post #7 of 34
The JTR's will not be a good choice for you at all if you're looking for in-walls or super slim speakers like the Martin Logan Electromotion's. I don't have much experience with in-walls but if I were forced to use them these would be at the top of my demo list for sure.
post #8 of 34
In-walls at $10k? The Klipsch THX series look good. Triad Golds supposedly sound great as well. Atlantic Technology in-walls have a great reputation as well. I would not go in-wall for subwoofers though, that is the kiss of death for home theater unless you can arrange an 'Infinite Baffle' system. Get a multiple sub system. Some great subs for that budget would be a dual Rythmik FV15HP, dual Hsu VTF15h or dual SVS PB12 Plus subs. A great AVR is the Denon AVR-X4000, which has the capability to easily dial-in dual subs.
post #9 of 34
I would look/check into Triad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgbQZWEHA14
Edited by zieglj01 - 12/28/13 at 10:52am
post #10 of 34
I love my JTR speakers but if this system is going somewhere that you'd like to have a really nice looking speaker for everyone to see, then they aren't for you.
With that being said they are a pretty amazing speaker. But if you're really interested in inwalls I'd suggest you take a serious look at Triad speakers.

IMHO you're far better off to spend a little more on great speakers now then save a little upfront and realize down the road that you'd like to upgrade them.
Great speakers do not need to be upgrade every few years like electronics do.
Edited by jbrown15 - 12/28/13 at 11:16am
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Great speakers do need to be upgrade every few years like electronics do.

I am guessing you intended to place a 'not' in that statement but missed it.

To the OP, I will add one more thing, karaoke has a way of blowing out tweeters, I would get something with a powerful tweeter, perhaps a compression driver if you are able.
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I am guessing you intended to place a 'not' in that statement but missed it.

To the OP, I will add one more thing, karaoke has a way of blowing out tweeters, I would get something with a powerful tweeter, perhaps a compression driver if you are able.

LOL.... my bad, I'll fix it.
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

In-walls at $10k?
I believe he is looking to spend 10k on everything total, speakers, subs and AVR.
post #14 of 34
Well, I think for a room that size I would set aside $2500 for dual FV15HP's and another $1000 for a Denon AVR-X4000. That would be a awesome start and leave $6500 for 7 speakers.

I know the OP said 7.1 but that is a huge room and a lot to ask of a single sub. He's willing to spend 10k he should really consider dual subs, whether its what I recommended or something else IMHO.
Edited by jbrown15 - 12/28/13 at 1:58pm
post #15 of 34
Although I prefer my JTR's I really liked the Klipsch RF7-II's that I heard with the RC-64 center channel. The OP could then use the Klipsch Reference inwall speakers to go along with this.
From everything that I've heard the AVS store offers 50% off of list on the Klipsch stuff too.
post #16 of 34
Thread Starter 
LCR and sub can be floor standing speaker, I can built entertainment center around it. I was thinking in-wall for surround but if bookshelf speaker sound way better than I can have carpenter built shelf to make it look better. Budget can go over 10k if it's going to make big different in sound quality.
Edited by cncasper - 12/30/13 at 8:39am
post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Although I prefer my JTR's I really liked the Klipsch RF7-II's that I heard with the RC-64 center channel. The OP could then use the Klipsch Reference inwall speakers to go along with this.
From everything that I've heard the AVS store offers 50% off of list on the Klipsch stuff too.

%50 off? RF-7II and RC-64 on that list?
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

Thanks I will look into it. my x-box one can play blue ray, do I really need to buy another?
No, the X-B1 will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

Yes 10k budget for the complete setup. Speaker, amp, receiver. Was looking at maranzt SR-7008 or denon AVR-x4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

LCR and sub can be floor standing speaker, I can built entertainment center around it. I was thinking in-wall for surround but if bookshelf speaker sound way better than I can have carpenter built shelf to make it look better. Budget can go over 10k if it's going to make big different in sound quality.

Another vote for the JTR's! Here's my recommendation for your situation and budget:

  • LCR speakers: JTR Noesis 228HT X 3 = $3900 (from 1 Jan '14) plus shipping. No pics on the website:


  • TOTAL = $9410 (plus JTR shipping)

With the balance, I would invest in a measurement system like the Dayton Audio OmniMic V2 ($300 shipped) and pursue acoustic treatments as determined by your measurements when budget (and WAF biggrin.gif) permits. For example: GIK Acoustics Room Kit Package #2 ($710 plus tax & shipping).
post #19 of 34
Thread Starter 
How does the klipsch RF7II setup compare to jtr ? My tv room is also family and den, it's where everyone hang out at when I have party and the klipsch looks allot nicer than jtr. Should I get brand new maranzt SR-7008 for $1300 on craiglist or just stick with refurbish denon? Thanks everyone for your advice!
Edited by cncasper - 1/1/14 at 8:16am
post #20 of 34
Although he really liked the Klipsch, @jbrown15 prefers his JTR 228HT's. @popalock is determined to move from RF-7ii's to JTR 212HT's at some stage. JTR do offer custom veneer options at cost if that helps. Most people seem to forget about how JTRs look after they hear them! biggrin.gif

Here's the Denon 4520 and Marantz 7008 side-by-side: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|033AV4520C&compareItems=01|642SR7008&g=10420. The Denon would be my preference, but the Marantz would be fine. I'd double check if the Craigslist vendor is an authorised Marantz dealer. Otherwise, it could spell trouble down the track.
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

How does the klipsch RF7II setup compare to jtr ? My tv room is also family and den, it's where everyone hang out at when I have party and the klipsch looks allot nicer than jtr. Should I get brand new maranzt SR-7008 for $1300 on craiglist or just stick with refurbish denon? Thanks everyone for your advice!

I did like the RF7-II's but I just preferred my 228HT's more, they just did everything a little better. And they where more composed at louder levels. The ONLY downside IMO is that they aren't as nice looking on a speaker as the Klipsch. Although I've made some really nice custom stands for mine and I personally wouldn't have any issues having them in my living room.

Honestly I think it comes down to dismissing returns though, if you were starting from ground zero and are okay with how the JTR speakers look; then I say without a doubt get them. But if you already had the RF7-II's, I don't know if you'd want to sell them to buy the JTR's. Without a doubt in my opinion the components used to build the 228HT's (compression drivers, drivers, crossovers and cabinets) are way better quality over the Klipsch parts. Hell my 228HT's are only monitor style speakers and at 75lbs each they way more then most tower speakers.

IMHO the only advantage the RF7-II's had were bass as they are more of a full range speaker. But if you're using the 228HT's with a good quality sub like they are designed to be the 228HT's are a step up over the Klipsch speakers.
Edited by jbrown15 - 1/1/14 at 4:56pm
post #22 of 34
Hey @cncasper, how are deliberations on the new system going?
post #23 of 34
I didn't catch whether you were married or not. You are getting some recommendations for some big boxes for your living room. Those usually have WAF (Wife Approval Factor) issues.
post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 

Been busy lately, so far I only pick up marantz SR-7008 for $1200. waiting for carpenter to give me estimate for a false wall to flush all the JTR speaker and my fish tank. JTR got good review but its just too ugly to leave out in the open. haven't decide on surround and sub yet. I will post picture of the room when i have time.

post #25 of 34
Thread Starter 

Lol Nope didn't sign my life away yet but I want my room to look modern and clean, no way I'm going to have two big box in the center of the room without flushing it into the wall.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

Lol Nope didn't sign my life away yet but I want my room to look modern and clean, no way I'm going to have two big box in the center of the room without flushing it into the wall.

That's good, The only in wall speakers I ever spent anytime listening too were Sonance and they were excellent. Make sure to get the 3-way ones if you get them, very clear. Also, Polk LSi models and Atlantic Technology made good looking speakers. The enclosed Klipsch ones linked already look good, plus Definitive Technology makes sealed in walls.

http://www.sonance.com/

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/home-theater/inwall

http://definitivetech.com/products/in-wall-in-ceiling-speakers/

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=23
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncasper View Post

Been busy lately, so far I only pick up marantz SR-7008 for $1200. waiting for carpenter to give me estimate for a false wall to flush all the JTR speaker and my fish tank. JTR got good review but its just too ugly to leave out in the open. haven't decide on surround and sub yet. I will post picture of the room when i have time.
Thanks for the quick update! It's good to see you are making progress.

If you proceed with JTR, I'd urge you to you speak to Jeff (designer/builder/owner) to discuss options for the most suitable speakers to mount in a baffle wall. An obvious option are the 212HT-LP (sealed), but they're considerably more expensive than the 228HT's. He may be able to do you custom sealed 228HT (again, costlier) or simply modify the 228HT's crossovers to account for the additional midbass output you would expect from a baffle wall installation.

Here's an example of custom Quintuples mounted in a wall/cabinet: http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1275749535&postcount=9 (The centre speaker is the usual Quintuple shape.)
post #28 of 34
There are some great looking speaker that also sound great! I think speakers should be like art and on full display!
post #29 of 34
post #30 of 34

Not sure I can help but am looking to see if this new gadget can run some of my systems at home EmoSPARK at www.emospark.com 

 

Seems promising as a home automation gadget

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Help picking 7.1 system for 19'x31' room with 10k budget