Hey all, it sure has been a while! I have been content with my HT system for a good few years now that I have been MIA from the forums for a bit now.
Unfortunately, what bring me back to the forums is that my loved TH-50PZ800U Panny 50in plasma is getting old. I've had it for 5 years, but I am disappointed that it did not last longer for the money I spent for it back in 2009. But long story short, 25 percent of the screen blacked out on me, which means the panel itself has failed and needs repair. If the estimate is too much, I might as well get a new TV. I didn't want to spend the money, but oh well...
So to the point:
--I've been out of the loop for a good 5 years or so. I understand the technological differences of projects, plasma, lcd, ed, etc etc. But unless theres been HUGE leaps in the LED/LCD scene in the last 5 years, I'm sticking with a Plasma TV. I use the TV for movies, gaming, etc, and its in my basement. I don't care about things like weight and energy savings, so the natural colors, better handling of fast motion, and deeper blacks make me like the looks of a good plasma over LCDs anyway.
But if Plasma is not where it was 5 years ago vs the other designs, please enlighten me so I can do some research.
--And also, can you guys give me some top models of Plasmas to get now days? I know the 800 and 850U series Panasonics were the tits in 2008/09 and I'm glad I went with it (besides it failing in 5 years).
--What are some good TVs to look into now days? I'm looking into 60-65 inch TVS, give or take. I don't want smaller than a 55. I'm looking to spend no more than $2k. I do not care about 3D, wifi, all the weird features on TVs now, etc. (I know most of these features just come with all TVs now days, but I don't care for the features so if I can save money on that, the better.)
1) My Panasonic 50PZ800U Plasma is on its last leg, I want a TV better than it in picture or equal to it.
2) Budget: $2,000
3) I prefer Plasmam unless other technologies have totally triumphed plasma in the 5 years I've been totally out of the loop.
4) I don't care about features like 3D, Smart TV, Wifi, etc. If I don't have to pay for the features the better, even though I know most of those are standard now.
5) Any models to check out? And threads on this forum to read up on on whats out now, links, etc?
6) Should I be looking into 4K Ultra HDTVs, or should I look into that another 5 years from now (as nothing I own right now (Blu-ray, Xbox One, etc) take use of the 4K resolution)?
Thanks for the input! It's exciting to get back into the market even though this is NOT what I wanted to be spending my money on at the moment, haha.
Edited by ViperVenom18 - 1/17/14 at 10:18am