or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 2

post #31 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post



As a follow-on to my post above, I completely agree with kristoffer77 and cortiz. I quite dislike the S6200 styling. I really haven't paid much attention to the styling of my S790, but if the ugly S6200 is indeed S790 replacement I'll just get a multi-region BD/DVD S5100 as primary player and use the S790 as secondary to make it last as long as possible. It's quite well built and I love the minimalist styling.

I agree. The S790 looks really good. I wish Sony would start making gear like this again:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/20081/158/x158BDPS5K-o_lid-off.jpeg
post #32 of 782
Thread Starter 
UK and Europe folks can always get the A6000 which essentially replaced the S790 late last year.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-a6000
post #33 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

UK and Europe folks can always get the A6000 which essentially replaced the S790 late last year.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-a6000

LOVE the look of that player, HATE the look of the 6200, would buy the 6000 in a second if it would work in the U.S.
post #34 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

UK and Europe folks can always get the A6000 which essentially replaced the S790 late last year.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-a6000

Now we are talking. This is what they should have released in the US. Awesome looking player and all the features from the S790 including super bit mapping carried over. It appears this player was released in the UK late last year, so I'm thinking maybe Sony will release it in the US later this year? I can only hope.

Question: Has anyone seen a region free version of this yet? I'd buy that!
post #35 of 782
No analog audio out, no deal. A real shame. Stocked up on the BDP-S590 while I could, then the BDP-S790 when I had to, now, not sure what I'll do. Might have to resort to buying used -- too many of my customers depend on the analog audio out of source devices for the operation of their wireless headphones.

Sony, shame on you for sticking it in the ears of those who need assistive listening devices and whose spouses don't want their receivers to mute when they plug in headphones in the front jack. Shame.
post #36 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 View Post

No analog audio out, no deal. A real shame. Stocked up on the BDP-S590 while I could, then the BDP-S790 when I had to, now, not sure what I'll do. Might have to resort to buying used -- too many of my customers depend on the analog audio out of source devices for the operation of their wireless headphones.

Sony, shame on you for sticking it in the ears of those who need assistive listening devices and whose spouses don't want their receivers to mute when they plug in headphones in the front jack. Shame.

Analog outs are dead on BD players. I don't think any new BD player is allowed to have them any more.
post #37 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Analog outs are dead on BD players. I don't think any new BD player is allowed to have them any more.

That's only for analog video i.e. Component out.
post #38 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

That's only for analog video i.e. Component out.

Ok I thought is was for everything.
post #39 of 782
Can these models stream Amazon at 1080p24 with Dolby Digital?
post #40 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

UK and Europe folks can always get the A6000 which essentially replaced the S790 late last year.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-a6000

Thanks for the link. BDP-A6000 is a beauty.

BTW, I downloaded the user manual for it and all settings are identical to S790. Here's a few physical specifications that should give some indication of build quality:
Power requirements:
220–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
Power consumption:
21 W
Dimensions (approx.):
430 mm × 193 mm × 49 mm
(width/depth/height) incl. projecting
parts
Mass (approx.):
2.0 kg
Operating temperature:
5 ºC to 35 ºC
Operating humidity:
25 % to 80 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Now we are talking. This is what they should have released in the US. Awesome looking player and all the features from the S790 including super bit mapping carried over. It appears this player was released in the UK late last year, so I'm thinking maybe Sony will release it in the US later this year? I can only hope.

Question: Has anyone seen a region free version of this yet? I'd buy that!

This is starting to look like it's down to a test marketing scheme for the EU, to determine market support. I wasn't aware of this machine as I've never seen it in shops, nor is there any discussion of it on AVForums. I hope Sony are successful of it, because it will give that other company some much needed competition.
post #41 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Thanks for the link. BDP-A6000 is a beauty.

BTW, I downloaded the user manual for it and all settings are identical to S790. Here's a few physical specifications that should give some indication of build quality:
Power requirements:
220–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
Power consumption:
21 W
Dimensions (approx.):
430 mm × 193 mm × 49 mm
(width/depth/height) incl. projecting
parts
Mass (approx.):
2.0 kg
Operating temperature:
5 ºC to 35 ºC
Operating humidity:
25 % to 80 %
This is starting to look like it's down to a test marketing scheme for the EU, to determine market support. I wasn't aware of this machine as I've never seen it in shops, nor is there any discussion of it on AVForums. I hope Sony are successful of it because it will give that other company some much needed competition.

The A6000 has been out in the UK since late last year and I never heard of it until yesterday. I did some looking and it is available in Amazon UK and Sony UK. I wish this player makes it to the US. I would buy it in a heartbeat.
post #42 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

The A6000 has been out in the UK since late last year and I never heard of it until yesterday. I did some looking and it is available in Amazon UK and Sony UK. I wish this player makes it to the US. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Perhaps it's time to get proactive and contact Sony Marketing in your country and let them know this. It might happen sooner than you think. wink.gif
post #43 of 782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SireTV View Post

Can these models stream Amazon at 1080p24 with Dolby Digital?

Won't know until the player actually ships. If it uses the current Amazon App on Sony BDPs then no. That only supported 720p streams and Dolby Digital. Amazon does offer streams at 1080p and Dolby Digital +. They are encoded at 24p .. but its up to the player how thats passed out. Samsung 2013 players do support Amazon at 1080p/24 DD+.

Its possible Sony (or Amazon) update the app ... but something tells me they won't. I think it will be the same as before.
post #44 of 782
Does this also apply to the PS3 and 4.
post #45 of 782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Does this also apply to the PS3 and 4.

No. The Sony PS3 and 4 has its own unique Amazon app. I don't know if it supports the 1080p stream or DD+, best to ask in those threads.
post #46 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No. The Sony PS3 and 4 has its own unique Amazon app. I don't know if it supports the 1080p stream or DD+, best to ask in those threads.

The PS4 supports the 1080P Amazon streams.
post #47 of 782
OK, so which players does supports 1080p stream or DD+.
post #48 of 782
Hmm.. I just realized they got rid of the rear USB ports on the S5200(it looks like the S6200 still has a rear one.). So to have a flash drive for BD-Live, it would need to be in the USB port which is on the Front.

Unless they went back to having built in storage.
post #49 of 782
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

OK, so which players does supports 1080p stream or DD+.

Which player ? Which Sony player or any player.

I said above the Samsung 2013 players support Amazon at 1080p/24 DD+
post #50 of 782
Sorry besides the Samsung players which other ones can support Amazon 1080p/24 and DD+.
post #51 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

UK and Europe folks can always get the A6000 which essentially replaced the S790 late last year.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-a6000

Looks really good and I hope we see this player in the US. . I don't think the s6200 is a replacement for the s790 and it doesn't make sense that Sony would leave that flagship spot empty when it's likely that Panasonic, Samsung, etc. will have comparable offerings.
post #52 of 782
Thread Starter 
The only difference between the s6200 and the s790 is no extra HDMI output and possibly SBM. The S6200 supports extended color and the new audio enhancer and upgraded codec support over the S790. I think it can be still considered their flag ship player.

It's also 189 msrp versus the 249 msrp of the s790 ... But prices continue to fall each year so not a surprise.

The A6000 on the other hand is quite honestly the s790 in a new skin and nothing more.
post #53 of 782
I wouldn't be surprised if the S6200 also doesn't have the DVD upscaling performance of the S790. We'll see.
post #54 of 782
So will the S6200 actually be faster? I thought when the S5100 came out last year that people said the S5100 was as fast as the dual core S790? So will the dual core S6200 now be even faster?
post #55 of 782
Thread Starter 
^ the 5100 was marginally faster to load the disks (max 10s improvement) but not faster than the 790 to render the XMB or navigate around certain apps ... E.g youtube lean back.
post #56 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The only difference between the s6200 and the s790 is no extra HDMI output and possibly SBM. The S6200 supports extended color and the new audio enhancer and upgraded codec support over the S790. I think it can be still considered their flag ship player.

It's also 189 msrp versus the 249 msrp of the s790 ... But prices continue to fall each year so not a surprise.

The A6000 on the other hand is quite honestly the s790 in a new skin and nothing more.
There's a price drop for a reason. They gave you new features but also took some away. Get the 790 while you can.
post #57 of 782
Only the S6200 has a LCD display; for all the others it's on-screen graphics only for disc information.
post #58 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The only difference between the s6200 and the s790 is no extra HDMI output and possibly SBM. The S6200 supports extended color and the new audio enhancer and upgraded codec support over the S790. I think it can be still considered their flag ship player.

It also does away with the very handy 10 second replay/advance buttons on the remote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Get the 790 while you can.

I second that.
post #59 of 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Only the S6200 has a LCD display; for all the others it's on-screen graphics only for disc information.

I didn't even notice that. Another feature that they removed from the S5100 when going to the S5200.
post #60 of 782
Thread Starter 
The bdp-s3200 is now shipping from the Sony USA online store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200