Advice Please – I'm looking for a home theatre speaker package.
Hi all, first post here!
Live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
I used this forum to buy my Optima HD33 projector and am extremely pleased!
I will make a purchase (based on your recommendations) in the next 30-60 days and report back, guaranteed.
I’m looking for advice on which surrounds to buy for my home theatre setup. I have done all the work myself so far, everything is complete except for sound. I use it for 70% movies, 20% TV, 10% games. Use: approx 3 hrs each day! Everything is great so far and I have saved up for speakers + Sub and can finally get rid of the sound bar and associated wires/cables!
The equipment I have is:
Projector – Optoma HD33
Receiver – Pioneer vsx-1122
Screen – 92 inch EluneVision reference widescreen, rated to 4k resolution
LG Blue ray player, Shaw HD cable box, WD media player…
Room size and configuration: 11 feet wide, 22 feet long, where the North half of the East wall is open to another part of the house. I sit 12 feet from the screen because 22 feet away is too far and at 12 feet from the screen, there are good wall mounting locations for rear surround speakers, directly right and left of the audience.
Room Pictures – I’ll finish the fireplace surround after the speakers…
Surround Speaker Requirements:
- Price around $1250 to $1750 for all 5 speaker cabinets, which means $250 - $350 range for each of the 5 speaker cabinets. I would like a matching sub and will pay additional for that – please suggest one. If I can get speakers which do not require a sub that would be great and I would be able to buy higher priced (better?) speakers.
- 5 on wall speakers: I can’t have any speaker or wire/cable on the ground due to curious pets (will very high or low frequencies annoy them?). I would like on wall so I can enjoy the appearance as well as remove and remount them elsewhere for any reason.
- Due to mounting, constraints, the speakers can be however tall, but no wider than 7 inches (that is how wide one of the pillars I will mount to is) and no deeper than 4.x inches as I like a sleek look, somewhere in the 2.x inch range deep is ideal.
- The Left, Center and Right speakers will be mounted horizontally (for looks) below the screen (2.5 feet from the ground) so I need either 3 centers or 3 speakers which can be oriented horizontally on the wall. The two surrounds will be mounted vertically.
The sound package purchased will not be upgraded for something else for at least 5 years. I would like any suggestions to add to the two surround speaker choices I feel meet my needs: GoldenEar – SuperSat3 and Triad – On Wall MICRO LCR. The GoldenEar SuperSat 3 has: a wider frequency response, 4.5 inch woofers (vs 3 inch for the Triad – On Wall MICRO LCR) and the cabinets look much better.
The Triad On Wall MINI LCR look good also as they suggest they can be used without a sub, they are a little thick at 4-3/8 inches deep, might be too expensive, i dont know, yet.
1) GoldenEar – SuperSat3
Cabinet is constructed from a rigid, non-resonant marble-powder infused polymer and is finished in a gorgeous piano-gloss black.
Dimensions: 12˝ H (W) x 4-3/4˝ W (H)
x 2-3/4˝ D
Frequency Response: 80 Hz - 35 kHz
Efficiency: 92 dB
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Driver Complement: Two - 4-1/2˝ High-Definition Cast-Basket Multi-Vaned Phase Plug design (MVPP™)
Mid/Bass Drivers. One - HVFR™ High-Velocity Folded Ribbon Tweeter
Recommended Amplification: 20 - 200 watt/channel
2) Triad – On Wall MICRO LCR
Cabinet made of MDF, uses brass fittings, the standard finish for this product is black. Silver, white and custom match are available. I doubt I can afford their veneer finishes, I’ll find out.
(1) 1" (25mm) Fabric dome tweeters
(2) 3" (7.6cm) Polycone woofers
Power Handling: (ea. channel)
Recommended Amp Power 25 - 75 watts
Impedance: (ea. channel)
Nominal impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity: (each channel)
Anechoic Frequency Response: (ea. channel)
128 Hz - 20 kHz (+/-3dB)
Fully braced and sealed cabinet.
Cloth grill (black or white available)
Compact onwall design.
Mounting Inserts: (2) 1/4" – 20
Width 5" (12.7cm)
Height w/grill 18" (45.7cm) Custom heights available.
Depth w/grill 2-1/4" (5.7cm)
Depth w/grill & Mounting bracket 2-5/16" (5.9cm)
Which of these two would be best when eventually paired with a sub?
Can you recommend any alternative speaker choices?
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Edited by Ducman - 1/6/14 at 11:02pm