or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems - Page 3

post #61 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

C'mon, nowhere was it implicitly or explicitly stated that the cost of getting pre-order projector pricing was that you might get a wonky product. Your implication is that we only have ourselves to blame for being such cheapskates. I'd argue that the preorder discount isn't JVC's payment to us for our service as beta testers. I'm well aware that things can happen with new product launches but to accept this as a matter of course is silly. Besides, this is the fourth iteration of this JVC chassis. It's reasonable to expect that they could've gotten the HDMI implementation right; what we're seeing is a widespread issue and to assume that they simply missed it during development or QA is absurd.

I'm not that upset about there being a problem, but what is a pain is if we have to ship the projector off for service. These things don't like being jostled around terribly much and god knows what can go wrong during shipping -- not to mention the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling the projector. if JVC offers in-home service or a user-installable fix I'll be much happier.

I'm glad you're able to smile cheerily with any news that your projector needs to be sent off for service. Unfortunately, I'm a busy guy and tend to get a little steamed when I realize I might have to unmount and ship off my expensive toy and be without it for who-knows-how-long. I'm mainly concerned about potential damage sustained during transit. Granted, these are definitely first-world problems, so I do have some perspective, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled.

I'm sure JVC wants to avoid a mass shipment of defective projectors and/or a mass dispatch of service personnel so I'm still holding out hope that the fix can be applied by the end user.

And just to make it clear I'm not at all upset with the AVS folks who sold the projector. They've been as responsive and helpful as possible and I sure appreciate it.


Agreed. Hopefully you guys don't have to ship these back to get fixed. I would be pissed in that case as well! mad.gif

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #62 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Let me know how that works Mike. I've left the Radiance out of the chain for now and have had ZERO problems since going thru a Denon 5308.

Also to the previous Mac question on firmware updates… no (only PC or use Bootcamp/Parallels/VMFusion).

Kevin,

I tried everything to see if I could make the HDMI lockup and every time my projector locked onto the resolution. My setup is Oppo 93->Lumagen Radiance XD->Darbee Darblet->JVC X700. I first changed back on my Lumagen 1080p60 to output 1080p60 instead of 1080p24 and watched several clips that would switch between 1080p24 and 1080p60 and hit stop several times on Oppo and it went back to the 1080p60 Oppo main screen. I then switched over to Directv which is set to feed 1080i60 to Lumagen which changes it to 1080p60, the projector locked right on to that signal. I then changed Lumagen to display the 1080i60 at 1080i60 and the X700 locked right on to that signal. Even went back and forth to Oppo 1080p60 back to Directv several times at 1080i60 and then once again to 1080p60. No HDMI lockups at all. Normally I would definitely be the one with problems but so far not one problem. I have 16 hours on my projector and the soft ver. is r1178.1 and PS ver. is 0D0C0E. I do have everything plugged into a Richard Gray Power Plant and I use monoprice HDMI cables.

Mike
post #63 of 464
Looks like HDCP handshake issues causing all the lockups and not necessarily some sort of hardware malfunction then. Why can't we just kill HDMI? It's the most god awful thing that's happened to CE A/V in recent memory.
post #64 of 464
Your setup virtually mimics mine Mike… weird we would have such different results (but good for with all I think I remember you went thru in "the early days" of the 3D models… you deserve a little good luck). smile.gif

So other than your 1080pxx forced output everything else is default (like you wouldn't have messed with timings, EDID etc..), right?

And you know… as I'm writing this I wonder if cable lengths matter in all this (I think it was MikeG who mentioned something about it on the 2014 or x500 thread). I use Monoprice too… except for one… I just thought of the fact I'm using a Bluerigger high speed 3ft'r going between the Lumagen output to the Darblet… Wonder if that could be causing a sync/timing issue?? Maybe since I put the Darblet in the mix last night and only used the 3ft Monoprice flat high speed from Denon to Darbee, then the 25' Mono high speed 4K to the PJ if I shouldn't just take the Darbee out and put the Lumagen in it's place to see if that would work… Yeah… that's what I'll try… Thanks Mike!

tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

(Here, here Dylan… worst security implementation code of all time!!) mad.gif
post #65 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Looks like HDCP handshake issues causing all the lockups and not necessarily some sort of hardware malfunction then. Why can't we just kill HDMI? It's the most god awful thing that's happened to CE A/V in recent memory.

That's why I shudder when I hear we need a more complicated version, that one we have now is so damn complicated, nobody can get it right....so, should we,change to,a,different system that works? Of course not, let's just complicate it even further. Now they wanna introduce HDCP 2.whocares? Good luck. I'll be jumping on the first viable alternative that emerges whether its thunderbolt, displayport, or just plain ol magic.
post #66 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Agreed. Hopefully you guys don't have to ship these back to get fixed. I would be pissed in that case as well! mad.gif

Just soz I can reuse some of my stored pics Todd…

If that were to be the case… that would…

post #67 of 464
I don't think they'd make everyone do that. They've released firmware files to the public before and to avoid a sh*t storm of bad publicity they'll do the same again once they've got the software fix sorted out. Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later. Considering most projector buyers are fairly informed on what they're buying (unlike HDTV buyers) I can guarantee this issue has put quite a large stopper on this generation's sales numbers so far. So if they were smart they'd get this sorted out quick.
post #68 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

That's why I shudder when I hear we need a more complicated version, that one we have now is so damn complicated, nobody can get it right....so, should we,change to,a,different system that works? Of course not, let's just complicate it even further. Now they wanna introduce HDCP 2.whocares? Good luck. I'll be jumping on the first viable alternative that emerges whether its thunderbolt, displayport, or just plain ol magic.

Funny what came to mind in reading your very accurate comment pretty much shared by all here!, was when I previewed The International for Darin last night the banker father asks his kid what they should do when they realize "there's NO way out"… the kid says… "find a deeper way in!"

We're in this crap for good me thinks!

biggrin.gif
post #69 of 464
Not sure if this is just the way it is, but 3D is unwatchable on my X500, even just trying to adjust bugged me out. I tried to watch Dredd in 3D and had to turn it off, which led to a lock up, I had to pull the plug which makes me cringe. Dredd in 2D was off the charts good.
post #70 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Not sure if this is just the way it is, but 3D is unwatchable on my X500, even just trying to adjust bugged me out. I tried to watch Dredd in 3D and had to turn it off, which led to a lock up, I had to pull the plug which makes me cringe. Dredd in 2D was off the charts good.

In my opinion Dredd shown on a DLP in 3D is "off the charts" better than in 2D. I've watched this movie in 3D at least five times. I hope they can find a way to make a sequel.
post #71 of 464
Let's hope they can come up with a way to install the update on our own, or send a tech to do it. No way in hell I'm shipping my projector anywhere. I'd drive the 1100 miles to Mendtronix in San Diego, CA before shipping it.
post #72 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Just soz I can reuse some of my stored pics Todd…

If that were to be the case… that would…



No doubt man! I hope you guys don't have to do that! Fingers crossed you guys can update the FW yourselves. smile.gif

How is the 2d treating you? I am hoping to grab one of these later this year.


Love the pics as always. biggrin.gif
post #73 of 464
Of course nothing is perfect but all in all this appears to be the best they've put out to date. They fix these "minor" issues and I'm a very happy camper! If you haven't already done so jump on the x/700/57 owners thread and check out 3D comparison to our RS55 pics from a couple years ago (significantly better). smile.gif
post #74 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

Let's hope they can come up with a way to install the update on our own, or send a tech to do it. No way in hell I'm shipping my projector anywhere. I'd drive the 1100 miles to Mendtronix in San Diego, CA before shipping it.

Mike at AVS already confirmed it will be a firmware update you can download with instructions (assuming the same protocols as past years are followed),
post #75 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Of course nothing is perfect but all in all this appears to be the best they've put out to date. They fix these "minor" issues and I'm a very happy camper! If you haven't already done so jump on the x/700/57 owners thread and check out 3D comparison to our RS55 pics from a couple years ago (significantly better). smile.gif


They made big strides last year with the 3d going off Zombies pics, but everything I have heard of this years models is that they are the same as last year. I saw an X75 at Cedia a few months back and hate to say it, but the 3d was still awful IMHO. You know I am a stickler for both ghosting and flicker though and I am sure most casual 3d users would be fine (not to mention I am used to zero flicker/ghosting on my BenQ now, so ANY of these anomalies really sticks out for me). Reading posts above like Cardoski's would suggest 3d is still the weak point of these projectors. But hey dude, I am glad you are happy! tongue.gif Just don't go checking out 3d on a single chip DLP as it will ruin you like it did me.

Cant wait to get a new unit for 2d though with eshift and the new DI. 2d is where the JVCs truly shine obviously. cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

Not sure if this is just the way it is, but 3D is unwatchable on my X500, even just trying to adjust bugged me out. I tried to watch Dredd in 3D and had to turn it off, which led to a lock up, I had to pull the plug which makes me cringe. Dredd in 2D was off the charts good.


Doesn't surprise me at all considering you are coming from a single chip DLP. This is why I have my BenQ 7000 AND RS45 since one is great at 2d and one is great at 3d. When you say unwatchable, I assume you are talking about ghosting or something else? Flicker?
post #76 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

In my opinion Dredd shown on a DLP in 3D is "off the charts" better than in 2D. I've watched this movie in 3D at least five times. I hope they can find a way to make a sequel.[/quotI


I had the BenQ W7000 before this and the 3D was miles better. However even that 3D was hard on my eyes, heck even the passive 3D on my LG kills me. Having said that i love this projector, to me it is a thing of beauty and really lets my Sci Fi collection shine.
post #77 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Mike at AVS already confirmed it will be a firmware update you can download with instructions (assuming the same protocols as past years are followed),
Unless he's added more info to his last post, all he said was that the HDMI issue would be fixable via firmware and that the projector didn't need to be opened up. He didn't say one way or the other that the firmware would be downloadable or user-installable.
post #78 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

They made big strides last year with the 3d going off Zombies pics, but everything I have heard of this years models is that they are the same as last year. I saw an X75 at Cedia a few months back and hate to say it, but the 3d was still awful IMHO. You know I am a stickler for both ghosting and flicker though and I am sure most casual 3d users would be fine (not to mention I am used to zero flicker/ghosting on my BenQ now, so ANY of these anomalies really sticks out for me). Reading posts above like Cardoski's would suggest 3d is still the weak point of these projectors. But hey dude, I am glad you are happy! tongue.gif Just don't go checking out 3d on a single chip DLP as it will ruin you like it did me.

Cant wait to get a new unit for 2d though with eshift and the new DI. 2d is where the JVCs truly shine obviously. cool.gif
Doesn't surprise me at all considering you are coming from a single chip DLP. This is why I have my BenQ 7000 AND RS45 since one is great at 2d and one is great at 3d. When you say unwatchable, I assume you are talking about ghosting or something else? Flicker?


Ya the 3D was just so blurry, I wish i could watch 3D, I mean i have a few different Nvida 3D monitor and TVs but i get eye fatigue bad. I am all for the tech, maybe glassless will be better for me.
post #79 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Unless he's added more info to his last post, all he said was that the HDMI issue would be fixable via firmware and that the projector didn't need to be opened up. He didn't say one way or the other that the firmware would be downloadable or user-installable.

Technically that is correct until we get official word we can't be 100% certain however the last three years worth of firmware updates have been this way (which is why I said if past protocols are followed).
post #80 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

They made big strides last year with the 3d going off Zombies pics, but everything I have heard of this years models is that they are the same as last year. I saw an X75 at Cedia a few months back and hate to say it, but the 3d was still awful IMHO. You know I am a stickler for both ghosting and flicker though and I am sure most casual 3d users would be fine (not to mention I am used to zero flicker/ghosting on my BenQ now, so ANY of these anomalies really sticks out for me). Reading posts above like Cardoski's would suggest 3d is still the weak point of these projectors. But hey dude, I am glad you are happy! tongue.gif Just don't go checking out 3d on a single chip DLP as it will ruin you like it did me.

Cant wait to get a new unit for 2d though with eshift and the new DI. 2d is where the JVCs truly shine obviously. cool.gif
Doesn't surprise me at all considering you are coming from a single chip DLP. This is why I have my BenQ 7000 AND RS45 since one is great at 2d and one is great at 3d. When you say unwatchable, I assume you are talking about ghosting or something else? Flicker?

I guess everyone sees different things especially with 3D but what I see is a significant improvement. It could be though from jumping from a 55 as you intimate (all I know is… daddy is happy and that's all that matters!). My PJ throws a very sharp and detailed 3D and the CMD makes it look much smoother IMO. I wasn't sure about their brightness increase claims… until I increased the CT canceler that is!

post #81 of 464
That's awesome Kev! Glad you're enjoying it. smile.gif I bet Pacific Rim 3d would look killer with the strong native JVC contrast. That was one of my favorites for 3d last year.
post #82 of 464
I got an information on german Hifi Forum and tried it on my X500. Would be nice if anyone else can test it with HDMI problems.

Set the Inputlevel to "Standard" and Colour area to "YCbCr(4:4:4)" So remove the Auto settings. I tested yesterday 3 hours and never got a blank page....

Before doing this settings turn off projector and remove power cable for few seconds to have a complete reboot. Then do the changes....
Edited by BennyTurbo - 1/11/14 at 2:27am
post #83 of 464
Did someone test it? Is there someone still got problems after the changes?
post #84 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I guess everyone sees different things especially with 3D but what I see is a significant improvement. It could be though from jumping from a 55 as you intimate (all I know is… daddy is happy and that's all that matters!). My PJ throws a very sharp and detailed 3D and the CMD makes it look much smoother IMO. I wasn't sure about their brightness increase claims… until I increased the CT canceler that is!


I wonder if his blurry comment was directed toward stuttering. If so, engaging CMD might help this quite a bit if one can tolerate somewhat of a "soap" effect. Outside of the ghosting that was my biggest complaint about 3D on the RS-45. Those of us who haven't seen 3D on a DLP have lower expectations:). One expensive projector is enough for me.

Do you see much ghosting on yours? I've read up on the JVCs some andthe reviewed on AVForums even commented to another viewer that the X55 was on par with the Sony HW50. It likely won't be as bright but since I've used the mid setting(3) on my HW50 I might be tempted to consider the 4910 knowing how much better the black levels will be on the JVCs (coming from an RS-45). Hopefully the CMD is smoother on the new JVCs as well which is what I've read going back to last years models.
post #85 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I wonder if his blurry comment was directed toward stuttering. If so, engaging CMD might help this quite a bit if one can tolerate somewhat of a "soap" effect. Outside of the ghosting that was my biggest complaint about 3D on the RS-45. Those of us who haven't seen 3D on a DLP have lower expectations:). One expensive projector is enough for me.

Do you see much ghosting on yours? I've read up on the JVCs some andthe reviewed on AVForums even commented to another viewer that the X55 was on par with the Sony HW50. It likely won't be as bright but since I've used the mid setting(3) on my HW50 I might be tempted to consider the 4910 knowing how much better the black levels will be on the JVCs (coming from an RS-45). Hopefully the CMD is smoother on the new JVCs as well which is what I've read going back to last years models.[/quot

I had tried the CMD, I generally run it on hi anyway. It was blurry to the point of distraction. But like I said I have a hard time with 3D and have 2 different 3D 120HZ gaming monitors a W7000 and an LG passive 3D tv. But out of all of them the JVC is the worse.
post #86 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTurbo View Post

I got an information on german Hifi Forum and tried it on my X500. Would be nice if anyone else can test it with HDMI problems.

Set the Inputlevel to "Standard" and Colour area to "YCbCr(4:4:4)" So remove the Auto settings. I tested yesterday 3 hours and never got a blank page....

Before doing this settings turn off projector and remove power cable for few seconds to have a complete reboot. Then do the changes....

Holy Crap...I unplugged my RS4910 for ~5 min., plugged it back in, made the changes, and...for the first time since receiving it, I've able to view DirecTV , AppleTV, PS3, etc. instead of just my BD player. Only been on about 15 min. so lets hope this work around keeps it fixed until we get firmware updates. Question: Now since our projectors are smart pjs (hooked up to ethernet) why wouldn't they push the updates and install them in the background? (instead of hooking up to a serial PC...who even has one of those anymore?!?).
post #87 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I wonder if his blurry comment was directed toward stuttering. If so, engaging CMD might help this quite a bit if one can tolerate somewhat of a "soap" effect. Outside of the ghosting that was my biggest complaint about 3D on the RS-45. Those of us who haven't seen 3D on a DLP have lower expectations:). One expensive projector is enough for me.

Do you see much ghosting on yours? I've read up on the JVCs some andthe reviewed on AVForums even commented to another viewer that the X55 was on par with the Sony HW50. It likely won't be as bright but since I've used the mid setting(3) on my HW50 I might be tempted to consider the 4910 knowing how much better the black levels will be on the JVCs (coming from an RS-45). Hopefully the CMD is smoother on the new JVCs as well which is what I've read going back to last years models.


I do think it is much improved over the RS55 and did some reviews and picture comparisons in the owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506160/official-jvc-dla-x700r-rs57u-owners-thread/510#post_24146551

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506160/official-jvc-dla-x700r-rs57u-owners-thread/630#post_24165882
post #88 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Unless he's added more info to his last post, all he said was that the HDMI issue would be fixable via firmware and that the projector didn't need to be opened up. He didn't say one way or the other that the firmware would be downloadable or user-installable.

Did you ever try the 2D -> 3D issue you told Mike you would test out (to see if there's any locking or if the remote commands run away on yours as well)?
post #89 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Did you ever try the 2D -> 3D issue you told Mike you would test out (to see if there's any locking or if the remote commands run away on yours as well)?
No, I haven't tried it yet, although I use the RF emitter so I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about runaway IR anyway.
post #90 of 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post

I had tried the CMD, I generally run it on hi anyway. It was blurry to the point of distraction. But like I said I have a hard time with 3D and have 2 different 3D 120HZ gaming monitors a W7000 and an LG passive 3D tv. But out of all of them the JVC is the worse.

Are you testing 3D with games or movies? I thought CMD upconverted 24fps material to 30fps. If the video games are already 30 or 60fps I'm not sure what affect CMD is going to have on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I do think it is much improved over the RS55 and did some reviews and picture comparisons in the owners thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506160/official-jvc-dla-x700r-rs57u-owners-thread/510#post_24146551

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1506160/official-jvc-dla-x700r-rs57u-owners-thread/630#post_24165882

Thanks Kevin. You're reports are encouraging. Since I missed the pre-order pricing, I have time to keep an eye out for more reviews and wait for JVC to fix the current bugs. I'm also anxious to see if you get your iRule problem resolved as well. My Sony HW50 is the only device I have that can't be controlled over IP so upgrading to a JVC that is working properly would be a nice plus as well. iRule is such a great app!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC DLA-X500, DLA-X700, DLA-X900, RS49,RS57,RS67 HDMI Problems