or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!! - Page 11

post #301 of 1117
It looks like option 1 would be ideal for a single 2000, there looks like an option 4,(opposing corner to option 1 along main wall). Is this an option ? If so a good place for a 2nd 2000, Also behind the couch is known to work well, never tried it though. You have more options than many, play with it and use what works best but IMHO Option 1 and 4 with dual PB200 will yield the best results in your room.

Good luck
post #302 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post

Thanks for the advice everyone.. I said wife, but really she's my girlfriend. I was too embarrassed to admit my girlfriend, who doesn't even live with me has a influence in my home theater arrangement redface.gif

I have never owned a surround sound system or any decent audio system (klipsch promedia 2.1 being the best) before and just recently purchased an Energy speakers from the frys deal(rc-70's, rc-10's rc-lcr). I would consider 2 subs but the pb-2000 would be a very big eye sore in the front right corner of the room. I could maybe do the smaller sb-2000? over there but from what I gathered the ported version will offer significantly gains at lower frequency.

the scenario's im considering are

-buy 1 pb-2000, try it out and if I find it lacking, purchase a 2nd. Try different configurations(option 1&3?) and if using the front right corner is absolutely necessary just deal with it.

-buy 2 sb-2000's and be done.

-buy pb-2000 for option #3 and a sb-2000 for the front right corner?

After 29 years of using stock television speakers for HT, I'm guessing 1 PB-2000 will make me happy....

Once again Thank You all for your advice, I have hard enough time deciding what kind of toothpaste to buy, if it weren't for your advice I would probably never complete my HT.
Are you refering to the space just below the other rc-10 rear speaker? If so there is not enough space there to fit a 2nd.


Drew, I have a single PB2000 in my 2600 cu. ft living room and I am completely happy with its output with no plans on adding a second.  The sound levels it is capable of are far above where I will ever listen.  For example, the loudest I listen to movies is normally -15, which is actually much louder than my wife can honestly stand.  For music I occasionally go to -10 for a song or two. I can push electronica with the sub running hot up to zero on my AVR and the limiter never lights up.

 

For movies, even at this moderate volume I get a lot of low frequency room/couch/house shaking.  My sub is placed where your position 1 is.

post #303 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post


Drew, I have a single PB2000 in my 2600 cu. ft living room and I am completely happy with its output with no plans on adding a second.  The sound levels it is capable of are far above where I will ever listen.  For example, the loudest I listen to movies is normally -15, which is actually much louder than my wife can honestly stand.  For music I occasionally go to -10 for a song or two. I can push electronica with the sub running hot up to zero on my AVR and the limiter never lights up.

For movies, even at this moderate volume I get a lot of low frequency room/couch/house shaking.  My sub is placed where your position 1 is.

I agree completely, 1 PB2000 provides more than enough bass for most. 1 SB would be adequate but that is a bigger room. Go with one PB put in the left front corner and call it a day........Either way you go PB or SB will be amazed with the results
post #304 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNUT2 View Post

I agree completely, 1 PB2000 provides more than enough bass for most. 1 SB would be adequate but that is a bigger room. Go with one PB put in the left front corner and call it a day........Either way you go PB or SB will be amazed with the results

Drew, one final word. WAF or GFAF no difference, but sometimes you have to put your foot down........Great sound comes with some sacrifices, if she wants to have the "WAF" she will learn to live with it smile.gif

Just saying..........
post #305 of 1117
Hi guys, I am having a tough time really being able to tell a difference between the PB12-NSD and PB2000. I have until Saturday to send it back, so if anyone has an ideas on how to test both the subs out that would be great. I would like to know what the $100 got me versus the PB12.
post #306 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

Hi guys, I am having a tough time really being able to tell a difference between the PB12-NSD and PB2000. I have until Saturday to send it back, so if anyone has an ideas on how to test both the subs out that would be great. I would like to know what the $100 got me versus the PB12.

Basically more power (up to 40% according to SVS) and further low frequency extension, although I have not heard the PB12 I know it is very capable but if you thirst for the latest greatest like myself you will regret not taking the plunge while you had the opportunity.
post #307 of 1117
Running advanced MCACC as I write. Will use Tron to audition first then the 20hz test tone. After some listening I'll do the 0hz to 200hz sweep. The tone even with advanced mcacc is deeper sounding vs. the pb1000.
post #308 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Have you given SVS a call to see what their future plans are regarding the possibility of there being a PC-2000?

How are you liking the PC12-NSD? Any reason not to replace the RW-12D with a matching PC12-NSD?

-

By itself, it lacks midbass punch. So I wouldn't want another. The RW12d provides that. I guess I am looking to spend money I really don't need to spend.
post #309 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

You do know you can send it back free of charge if you live in the USA.

Then get the PB 2000 or you can upgrade with in the year with full credit
of the PC12. But since you in the 45 day periode I would just sen it back and tell them to send you the PB 2000.

And if you want a second PB 2000 with in a year from this purchase they will give you the 5% discount for dual subs.

Read the SVS Bill of right if you're not familiar with it.



Athanasios

And replace it with what, a PB-2000 that I don't have room for? I guess I could call them and tell them if they won't have a PC-2000 within the next year I'll just have to return this one until they do.
post #310 of 1117
Thread Starter 
SVS subs will never have artificial mid bass punch unless the material has it. The other sub you have or had probably accentuated those frequencies .

A true well built and designed sub will never be heard or felt until it is called upon to do so.


If you want that mid bass punch then you'll need a EQ device you can taylor to your listening tastes for SVS and other better subs
that have a flat frequency response.

Athanasios
post #311 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post


Drew, I have a single PB2000 in my 2600 cu. ft living room and I am completely happy with its output with no plans on adding a second.  The sound levels it is capable of are far above where I will ever listen.  For example, the loudest I listen to movies is normally -15, which is actually much louder than my wife can honestly stand.  For music I occasionally go to -10 for a song or two. I can push electronica with the sub running hot up to zero on my AVR and the limiter never lights up.

For movies, even at this moderate volume I get a lot of low frequency room/couch/house shaking.  My sub is placed where your position 1 is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNUT2 View Post

I agree completely, 1 PB2000 provides more than enough bass for most. 1 SB would be adequate but that is a bigger room. Go with one PB put in the left front corner and call it a day........Either way you go PB or SB will be amazed with the results

I went ahead and ordered the pb-2000. Thanks again for everyone's help/suggestions, I really appreciate it.

No exactly sure what WAF or GFAF means but im guessing, Wife after fun?
post #312 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewRosenHouse View Post


I went ahead and ordered the pb-2000. Thanks again for everyone's help/suggestions, I really appreciate it.

No exactly sure what WAF or GFAF means but im guessing, Wife after fun?

Wife approval factor and girl friend approval factor smile.gif
post #313 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

SVS subs will never have artificial mid bass punch unless the material has it. The other sub you have or had probably accentuated those frequencies .

A true well built and designed sub will never be heard or felt until it is called upon to do so.


If you want that mid bass punch then you'll need a EQ device you can taylor to your listening tastes for SVS and other better subs
that have a flat frequency response.

Athanasios

Very often the issue is simply to do with room acoustics. While the SVS may have a flat freq response, remember that this is outdoors.

Once in room, the freq response is anything but flat. This is where positioning and/or EQ solution comes in to help.

It could be that the old sub coupled better with the room in the position it was in. This is another explanation aside from the sub accentuating the mid bass.
post #314 of 1117
^^+1
post #315 of 1117
Initial impressions of SB2 vs PB1, as much as the pb1000 belted out 20hz with mass volume, the sb2000 hands down spanks it on extension!!! Not only does the sb2 have volume at 20hz it does it with more weight and it easily bested the pb1 on massive extension. My 0-200 hz sweep produced nothing in room till 16hz on the pb1. At 9hz I almost fell out of my chair and thought my kitchen windows were going to pop with the flexing and effortless deep tone with the sb2. The pitch is completely deeper and the sound quality hands down to the sb2! All this and not even broken in. Will continue re-running my sc-25's multi point adv mcacc to quickly get it loosened up.
post #316 of 1117
PB-2000 to buy be too big for a room?

My room is 10.5ft X 7.54ft x 8.79ft aprox 695 cu ft
post #317 of 1117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDj View Post

PB-2000 to buy be too big for a room?

My room is 10.5ft X 7.54ft x 8.79ft aprox 695 cu ft

Yeah a bit, the SB 1000 or PB 1000 would be better if your going with SVS.

Athanasios
post #318 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Yeah a bit, the SB 1000 or PB 1000 would be better if your going with SVS.

Athanasios

Thanks eek.gifeek.gif be something giant accompanying my system

JBL L890
JBL LC2
JBL L820:D
post #319 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

SVS subs will never have artificial mid bass punch unless the material has it. The other sub you have or had probably accentuated those frequencies .

A true well built and designed sub will never be heard or felt until it is called upon to do so.


If you want that mid bass punch then you'll need a EQ device you can taylor to your listening tastes for SVS and other better subs
that have a flat frequency response.

Athanasios

Thanks for that. If that's the case I'm probably best with my current combo. An NSD that digs low and an artificial midbass sub.
post #320 of 1117
I've been upgrading my dedicated theater over the last 1 1/2 yrs and am about to finish with the speakers. Currently have Sharp Elite Pro-70X5FD, Onkyo TX-NR3009, Emotiva XPA-5. The speakers are 14 yr old MK-750THX LCR with MK-55THX Tripole Surround, MK-550THX Rear Surround and MK-v1250THX sub.

The theater is 11 X 21 ft and opens along one wall(about 7 ft open) to an identical space that is a game room. That room in turn opens into my kitchen with a knee wall running about 8 ft long.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a Goldenear 7.1(or 7.2), Triton 7's with SCXL and SS3's and 1 or 2 SVS subs. If 1 the SB13 Ultra, if 2 dual SB-2000.
Thoughts?

Thanks...
post #321 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDj View Post

PB-2000 to buy be too big for a room?

My room is 10.5ft X 7.54ft x 8.79ft aprox 695 cu ft

If you have the space for it, I say go for it! My room is only 960 cubic feet. I had a PB-1000, but I just got my refund form SVS and I ordered the PB-2000. The PB-1000 rocked in my small room, but I want more. Future proofing a little cuz I plan on moving in a year or so.

So if money and space are not a issue, and there's a possibility of you moving to a bigger room, I say go for the PB-2000. If not, give the SB-2000 a try instead. It should be more than enough for you. Gotta love SVS' return policy. It's so easy and risk free to try whichever sub you want to try. Try em both and keep or reorder the one you liked better. Best of luck
post #322 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Yeah a bit, the SB 1000 or PB 1000 would be better if your going with SVS.

Athanasios


nash.... did you ever do your review of the 2000??

thanks
post #323 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspecialist View Post

Initial impressions of SB2 vs PB1, as much as the pb1000 belted out 20hz with mass volume, the sb2000 hands down spanks it on extension!!! Not only does the sb2 have volume at 20hz it does it with more weight and it easily bested the pb1 on massive extension. My 0-200 hz sweep produced nothing in room till 16hz on the pb1. At 9hz I almost fell out of my chair and thought my kitchen windows were going to pop with the flexing and effortless deep tone with the sb2. The pitch is completely deeper and the sound quality hands down to the sb2! All this and not even broken in. Will continue re-running my sc-25's multi point adv mcacc to quickly get it loosened up.

Am I reading this correct, your SB2000 goes down to 9hz? How big is your room?
post #324 of 1117
Its almost 900sq ft open with room treatments. With my test disk each second represents a single frequency when on that specific track, 0-200hz. So yes, in my treated room the pressure was realized and the shudder was fantastic. Things were being stressed at that freq.
post #325 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post


Thanks for that. If that's the case I'm probably best with my current combo. An NSD that digs low and an artificial midbass sub.


Yep. You basically have a setup similar to HSU Research's mid bass module, you just don't have to spend $500 for it.  Your SVS is flat and goes deep, your other sub provides room smoothing and extra mid bass punch.  Sounds like a good combo.

post #326 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspecialist View Post

Its almost 900sq ft open with room treatments. With my test disk each second represents a single frequency when on that specific track, 0-200hz. So yes, in my treated room the pressure was realized and the shudder was fantastic. Things were being stressed at that freq.

Surprised a sealed sub has more extention than a ported. I thought it was the other way around. I'll be getting the SB2 soon so that all sounds good to me.
post #327 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post


Surprised a sealed sub has more extention than a ported. I thought it was the other way around. I'll be getting the SB2 soon so that all sounds good to me.


From my understanding, a ported sub will have much higher output around its tuning point...i.e. the PB2000 has much more output around 17-20 Hz than the sb2000, but drops off very sharply below this.  The SB2000 on the other hand, has lower output in that region, but rolls off more slowly and has more output at lower frequencies.  Room gain can dramatically increase this output at low frequencies, whereas no amount of room gain can increase the output of a ported sub where there is none.

 

Remember, extension and output are different parameters.

post #328 of 1117
What's awesome is at those ultra low freqs you don't realize it in your listening position, its all the stuff being rattled off the shelves in the furthest part of the adjoining room. Its the corner windows directly opposite of sub location the furthest distance away. The sb2 has plenty of volume too, its not phased by needing to produce. I loved my pb1 but the sb2 is in a whole different class. Its that much different. Very smooth, deep deep tone, clear, and all with the beans to make it happen.
post #329 of 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspecialist View Post

What's awesome is at those ultra low freqs you don't realize it in your listening position, its all the stuff being rattled off the shelves in the furthest part of the adjoining room. Its the corner windows directly opposite of sub location the furthest distance away. The sb2 has plenty of volume too, its not phased by needing to produce. I loved my pb1 but the sb2 is in a whole different class. Its that much different. Very smooth, deep deep tone, clear, and all with the beans to make it happen.

I feel like my PB1000 has more bass in my bathroom (attached to the living room) than it does in my listening position lol.
post #330 of 1117

Still trying to decide on dual PB1000s or one PB2000, not looking to do dual PB2000s as I don't have space for two of them nor do I think my townhouse neighbors will like two of them. The PB2000 really sounds like a beast, plus it saves me $150 but I like the visual appeal of dual subs flanking my TV stand....ahh decisions decisions.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › New SVS PB2000 and SB2000 subs!!!!!!