or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 14

post #391 of 1382

 

Just retuned M55 at Costco and got a 55" E550IB2 from SAMS , they had both M55 and E55 next to each other and E55 was much better for both side view and Picture quality. i took some pictures I will upload it. Only thing i had to forgo was an additional year warranty that you get with Costco. And Costco was clearing out the Vizio TV shelves they may also get some 2014 models in stock. 


Edited by sunnypv - 1/31/14 at 3:59am
post #392 of 1382
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypv View Post

Just retuned M55 at Costco and got a 55" E550IB2 from SAMS , they had both M55 and E55 next to each other and E55 was much better for both side view and Picture quality. i took some pictures I will upload it. Only thing i had to forgo was an additional year warranty that you get with Costco. And Costco was clearing out the Vizio TV shelves they may also get some 2014 models in stock. 

The M55 you saw at Costco must have been a 2013 panel, but was is being shown next to the same 2014 E-B2 that you ended up buying?

If the 2014 E-Series panels look better than the 2013 M-Series panels, Vizio (and their channel partners) may have a heck of a time clearing out the 2013 M-Series inventory (and this could impact the delivery schedule for the 2014 M-series panels... :-(

Sounds like Vizio has introduced some fundamentally improved technology with their 2014 FALD panels - looking forward to seeing your pics...

-fafrd
post #393 of 1382

Chompin at the bit to get a tv.  If anyone sees the 42"  2014 E B-series in a store, let "us" know.  :)

post #394 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypv View Post
 

Just retuned M55 at Costco and got a 55" E550IB2 from SAMS , they had both M55 and E55 next to each other and E55 was much better for both side view and Picture quality. i took some pictures I will upload it. Only thing i had to forgo was an additional year warranty that you get with Costco. And Costco was clearing out the Vizio TV shelves they may also get some 2014 models in stock. 

 

Any chance you could perform input lag testing with the laptop + camera combination  with the monitor test tool? (http://tft.vanity.dk/) I'm waiting for them to get in stock at Costco near me so I can perform the measurements myself but we still haven't gotten any. 

post #395 of 1382
My 48" came from Amazon today and the screen was broken on the bottom. It looks internal as it looks fine when TV is off. Now I have to return it but this time I am going to Sams Club to pick it up. Since it's hooked up I will test it out tonight and pick up a new one on way home from work tomorrow.

I will say that I like the tv otherwise. ThE only thing that is keeping it from being a slam dunk for me is that it's missing a headphone jack. I run my pc speakers through the headphone jack and now I am stumped what to do. I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on a new system that has optical out...it basically would turn a cheap tv into something more expensive and take the "deal" out of it.

The speakers themselves are standard junk these days, so I need a solution. Maybe an adapter I can buy?
post #396 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

My 48" came from Amazon today and the screen was broken on the bottom. It looks internal as it looks fine when TV is off. Now I have to return it but this time I am going to Sams Club to pick it up. Since it's hooked up I will test it out tonight and pick up a new one on way home from work tomorrow.

I will say that I like the tv otherwise. ThE only thing that is keeping it from being a slam dunk for me is that it's missing a headphone jack. I run my pc speakers through the headphone jack and now I am stumped what to do. I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on a new system that has optical out...it basically would turn a cheap tv into something more expensive and take the "deal" out of it.
i
The speakers themselves are standard junk these days, so I need a solution. Maybe an adapter I can buy?

You would need a d/a converter. You can search for optical to 3.5mm converter. Be careful of the following. If the audio coming out of the TV is Dolby Digital, then the adapter needs to be able to convert to stereo. Or you may be able to set the TV to output stereo, in which case any that you find should work.
post #397 of 1382
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelegacy View Post

My 48" came from Amazon today and the screen was broken on the bottom. It looks internal as it looks fine when TV is off. Now I have to return it but this time I am going to Sams Club to pick it up. Since it's hooked up I will test it out tonight and pick up a new one on way home from work tomorrow.

I will say that I like the tv otherwise. ThE only thing that is keeping it from being a slam dunk for me is that it's missing a headphone jack. I run my pc speakers through the headphone jack and now I am stumped what to do. I don't want to go out and spend a ton of money on a new system that has optical out...it basically would turn a cheap tv into something more expensive and take the "deal" out of it.
i
The speakers themselves are standard junk these days, so I need a solution. Maybe an adapter I can buy?

You would need a d/a converter. You can search for optical to 3.5mm converter. Be careful of the following. If the audio coming out of the TV is Dolby Digital, then the adapter needs to be able to convert to stereo. Or you may be able to set the TV to output stereo, in which case any that you find should work.

I just purchased one of these to convert from optical to Coax and I have been very happy with it. There are also optical-stereo converters as well as combos with both coax and stereo:

http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Digital-Audio-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005F20756/ref=pd_sim_cps_89

-fafrd
post #398 of 1382

Well Costco finally has the 55 up on their website! We are making progress!

 

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Smart-TV-E550i-B2.product.100100315.html

post #399 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey108 View Post

Well Costco finally has the 55 up on their website! We are making progress!

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-55%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-Smart-TV-E550i-B2.product.100100315.html

Very fast progress. At this rate the reference series will be here in no time tongue.gif
post #400 of 1382

HELLO FRIDAY MORNING!!!! Can you please give us the elusive 50inch????

post #401 of 1382

OK, so, from all of the information I've compiled in my head (trying to make sure I don't have any of these mixed up...), I'm trying to make the correct decision here. Also, my sister called me yesterday randomly asking for TV advice, so I told her what I know about the 2014's so far. She is wanting the 48" and I want the 55", but, would we both be smarter to wait until the 50" pops up? As long as my memory is correct, the 50" has more dimming zones than both the 48" and 55", better contrast ratio than the 48", has more HDMI inputs than the 48", and is only $20 more than the 48" and $100 less than the 55". IMO, it looks like the 50" might be the steal of the year for televisions if all of the information on it so far is accurate. Like other people in this thread, I REALLY hope we start to see the 50 in stores asap. Is there anything important that I'm missing here? From skimming through this entire thread, it seems like the 50" is going to be an amazing value.

post #402 of 1382

HELLO AVS FORUM,

 

I would like to take the time to let all of you know my history with VIZIO so far, and although I am looking forward to the new 2014 E-series 500i-B1 50 inch, I am scared to purchase the TV because of my past history. I made not just my first VIZIO TV purchase from AMAZON on December 1, 2013, but my first HDTV ever(I know, unbelievable!). I kept my 90pound 27inch SANYO tube TV until it died. I have been a lover of technology my entire life based on my love for PC's and how much I have spent on them, but I just never cared for TV's which is why I never bothered to buy an HDTV until I absolutely had to.

 

It was the VIZIO 500i-A1. Although there was strange ghosting(I think that is the term) every once in a while, I was in absolute awe of the Picture Quality I was getting for the price I paid, however the problems became apparently clear immediately the following day, IT WAS THE HDMI PORTS. Specifically HDMI ports 3 & 4. They were defective. EVERY 15 minutes or so ports 3 & 4 would lose the signal for a few seconds and then the picture would return, it always kept the sound however. Given the fact that this was my first ever HDTV this disappointed me like you would not believe. I called VIZIO to inform them about this and the tech support and customer service agents pretended like they had never heard about this, even though I believe VIZIO themselves issued a recall for the 60inch E601i-A3 and 70inch E701i-A3 E-Series TV's basically for the exact same problem, DEFECTIVE HDMI PORTS. They offered to have the TV repaired in home and I decided against it, Instead I sent the TV back to AMAZON for a replacement only to once again have the exact same problem, DEFECTIVE HDMI PORTS, again specifically HDMI PORTS 3 & 4.

 

So literally right now I don't have a TV. I am perfectly fine using my desktop, laptop and tablets to watch what I want, but it still sucks not to have an HDTV that I really liked and enjoyed Picture Quality wise. So I hope you all understand why after 2 failed VIZIO HDTV's back to back I am very hesitant, yet hopeful for the new 2014 E-series 500i-B1. I really truly hope VIZIO fixed the defective HDMI PORTS issue because I am really looking forward to buy this new TV to hold me down for at least 2 maybe 3 years until I get a future UHDTV.

 

http://blog.vizio.com/post/42692468613/vizio-special-bulletin 

 

http://hdguru.com/vizio-issues-a-recall-on-large-screen-led-lcd-hdtvs/


Edited by AMERICAN RIFLE - 2/3/14 at 4:28pm
post #403 of 1382

So is the mysterious 50inch ever going to appear???


Edited by AMERICAN RIFLE - 1/31/14 at 3:42pm
post #404 of 1382
Can anyone who had purchased a 2014 model confirm if they have put dual band Wi-Fi support back in the tvs? My old svt can connect to my 5ghz station but my 2013 can't.
post #405 of 1382
Finally got my E420I-b0 yesterday. Got it all hooked up and ready to go. A few impressions:

-The TV itself is beautiful, and thinner than I was expecting. Even though I'm going from a 37" to a 42" screen, the TV is actually smaller than my old one because of the old one's giant bezel.

- I was a little underwhelmed by the picture right out of the box. Everything felt washed out and too bright and flat, with not enough contrast. I tried some of the calibration settings posted here, but was surprised to see they didn't help much. After another calibration with the THX Tune-Up app, I feel it's looking better, but still needs work. I still feel like skin tones are coming off a little too pale and sickly looking. However, the THX app did not have me mess with the RGB settings on the color temperature page, so I'm hoping that tweaking those will help more. Are there any Blu-Rays that people recommend that have calibration suites on them?

- The local dimming is very nice, but I wish it reacted faster. If I put up a full black screen, the entire panel basically shuts off. It's like the LEDs turn off entirely. But if a part of the screen suddenly has image in it , it takes a second or two for that part of the screen to regain it's brightness. I'm still curious to see how this will affect actual movie watching. Almost all of my TV watching is done on Apple TV, and this phenomenon is VERY apparent when browsing the menus of the AppleTV. Sometimes when the screen is transitioning from being full black to having picture (think fade-ins from black in a movie), the brightness doesn't return smoothly. The image fades back in followed by a pop to "normal" brightness. Like I said, it remains to be seen how badly this will affect actual movie/TV watching, or if it's something that will get better with time.

- Related to everything in my previous comment, I wish there was a way to toggle local dimming on/off directly from the remote, without digging into submenus. If it doesn't prove distracting durong movie watching, it's probably something I'll keep off and only turn on when I'm about to sit down and watch a movie (as opposed to putting on a TV show as background noise or browsing around AppleTV menus.)

- When I put on a full black screen with local dimming OFF, there is a small bit of light bleed in the corners, particularly on the left side of the screen. I'll try to get a picture of this later tonight.

- Off angle viewing seems to be pretty good to me. Yeah, you can make the picture change by going off-angle, but you have to go pretty far to make that happen. It seems fine for most viewing setups.

- Unfortunately, I'm going to have to return this TV to Amazon for a new one, because this one came with some kind of flaw in the screen. Initially I thought it was a couple dead pixels, but when I get up close to the screen, I can see that the black spot doesn't cover full pixels, so I'm not sure what it is. Could it be a bit of dirt behind the screen? I tried to take a picture, posted below. Does anyone know how Amazon handles returns like this? Will they send me a new one straight away, or do they wait to receive the old one before sending out the new one? I hope that they'll send me a new one straight away, rather than giving me grief, or even worse, making me go through Vizio to get it resolved.




I'll try to post more pictures and impressions tonight, after hopefully tweaking the picture some more.
post #406 of 1382
From Vizio's specs, Could the colors really be that big of difference between the 2013 M and the 2014 E? Or is this an overrated spec?

2014 E 55 - Number of Colors 16.7 Million (10-bit)

2013 M 55 - Number of Colors 1.07 Billion (10-bit)
post #407 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs_2b23 View Post

From Vizio's specs, Could the colors really be that big of difference between the 2013 M and the 2014 E? Or is this an overrated spec?

2014 E 55 - Number of Colors 16.7 Million (10-bit)

2013 M 55 - Number of Colors 1.07 Billion (10-bit)

I thought the 2014 E series panels were 8-bit which is why it would be 16.7 million instead of 1.07 billion? I'm confused someone help me out lol
post #408 of 1382
Can someone also confirm you can get rid of the Soap Opera Effect on the these E series tvs? With the M series I have now, I have no problem turning it off. Just want to make sure there's an option with the new series. From the manual it doesn't have as fine control over some of the picture settings. Thanks!
post #409 of 1382
Having that dark spot on the screen is a sign that the manufacturer either doesn't do quality checks or they simply don't care and wait to see if the customer complains. That pisses me off. Now the customer has to go through the trouble of handling an exchange. The customer should be reimbursed for the extra unanticipated effort to return/exchange. Maybe then Vizio would make a better effort to provide a more quality product.
post #410 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobe View Post

Having that dark spot on the screen is a sign that the manufacturer either doesn't do quality checks or they simply don't care and wait to see if the customer complains. That pisses me off. Now the customer has to go through the trouble of handling an exchange. The customer should be reimbursed for the extra unanticipated effort to return/exchange. Maybe then Vizio would make a better effort to provide a more quality product.

Exactly! I wonder what Sam's Club's return policy is like. If I find one and have issues, I may keep it until the 40" Sony gets released in March, THEN return it. lol
post #411 of 1382

post #412 of 1382

@abailey108

Where is the 50inch?? Also just wondering, why are you taking pictures of boxes??

post #413 of 1382
I know it's been asked already, but I really need a new TV right now, and I don't know when the B versions 2014 are released for the 60/65 inch versions. I need a tv like NOW.

But does anyone know what can I except between the E601-A3 vs. the newer 2014 E601-Bx ?? Right now the E601-A3 is on a good deal for $799.
post #414 of 1382
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l337hxr View Post

I know it's been asked already, but I really need a new TV right now, and I don't know when the B versions 2014 are released for the 60/65 inch versions. I need a tv like NOW.

But does anyone know what can I except between the E601-A3 vs. the newer 2014 E601-Bx ?? Right now the E601-A3 is on a good deal for $799.

Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) with 'up to' 16 dimming zones versus edge lit. Will need for the 60" panels to come put before we can know what that means for sure, but so far those that have compared the 40"-55" 2014 Vizio E Series panels to the corresponding 2013 E and M Series panels have seemed to pretty consistently indicate a significant improvement in picture quality...

-fafrd
post #415 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN RIFLE View Post

@abailey108
Where is the 50inch?? Also just wondering, why are you taking pictures of boxes??

I was just taking some basic pictures for other members to see, since most of us in here seem to be sharing our excitement for the new models. That being said I'll answer your questions as best I can:

Where is the 50 inch?

Well since its not in this picture I don't know where it is. Maybe in a truck somewhere, or a vizio warehouse. Your guess is as good as mine.

Why am I taking pictures of boxes?

The boxes happened to be elevating the tvs so customers don't have to get on the ground to look at the tvs. I was in fact taking pictures of the tvs, but obviously not close up enough for your liking. I will do a better job next time and make sure the boxes aren't visible.
post #416 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) with 'up to' 16 dimming zones versus edge lit. Will need for the 60" panels to come put before we can know what that means for sure, but so far those that have compared the 40"-55" 2014 Vizio E Series panels to the corresponding 2013 E and M Series panels have seemed to pretty consistently indicate a significant improvement in picture quality...

-fafrd

fabulous! I was comparing this to the Samsung F6300 series and so far that thread said the tv is not that good. For $1500 for the F6300, I should probably burn it on the 65" 2014 E-series instead. Now I shall just wait for the 65" E-series...... damn it, how long must I wait?!?
post #417 of 1382
Just called my local best buy to see when the 60 and 70 inchers are coming. They said won't know for sure, but typically another 3-4 months......
post #418 of 1382
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by l337hxr View Post

Just called my local best buy to see when the 60 and 70 inchers are coming. They said won't know for sure, but typically another 3-4 months......

That would be a major bummer (and also not bode well for the arrival of the M-Series and then the P-Series and then the R-Series...).

Let's hope this year proves to be different than last!

-fafrd
post #419 of 1382
Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey108 View Post


I was just taking some basic pictures for other members to see, since most of us in here seem to be sharing our excitement for the new models. That being said I'll answer your questions as best I can:

Where is the 50 inch?

Well since its not in this picture I don't know where it is. Maybe in a truck somewhere, or a vizio warehouse. Your guess is as good as mine.

Why am I taking pictures of boxes?

The boxes happened to be elevating the tvs so customers don't have to get on the ground to look at the tvs. I was in fact taking pictures of the tvs, but obviously not close up enough for your liking. I will do a better job next time and make sure the boxes aren't visible.


OH OK. Well I myself am excited for the new 50inch, however I am just scared to buy another VIZIO as I explained in post# 402. I am very hopeful that the defective HDMI Ports problem has been fixed so I can have a sweet time with the new 50inch 500i-B1. Thanks for the reply.


Edited by AMERICAN RIFLE - 2/3/14 at 4:04pm
post #420 of 1382

Mine did not recognize my 5G SSID. I didn't try manually configuring the connection to use the 5G though...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series owners thread